TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Am I glad I did not wait for the Challenger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

William Rodgers

Check out this one...hope you have DEEP pockets!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=260211458153

Yup, I saw that in Autoweek, but it IS one of a kind....and I do really like the color.

Me, I like the Challenger's looks. But it IS heavvvvvy and too much $$$ for what performance I see.

It's more of a muscle cruiser to me.

Would I buy one? Wellllllll.......maybe someday. But it's just too damn heavy & expensive in my mind- the way it is.

Looks great, though and really reminds me of my brother's Challenger R/T convertible that he had back in the 70's...THAT car was SICK! :headspin: Too bad he sold it because gas went up to .59/gallon! :hysterical2: One of about 300 made :cry:

On that note:

***I read a news article that said the government raided 5 (or 6) U.S. Chocolate manufacturer's offices looking for "price fixing" because prices were level across the board. True story. Verrry serious stuff to the Feds, this "chocolate price fixing". Must be a matter of national security...

Never mind that the price of gas has been high and the government- on both party's words were "looking into why gas prices are so high" Oh, really? Repeatedly...over the last 3 years?

Yet they raid chocolate mfr's offices...go figure.

Me bitter?

No.....bitter-sweet!!! :hysterical:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Krugan- low 5s sounds much more realistic for 0-60 times, 4.8 was said during the press conference for the debut

I'm not trying to bash the SGT, I love my car and have no regrets about getting it, I'm just trying to say don't bash this car quite yet. It's a miracle it's even coming out, and I'm quite excited if ya can't tell :hysterical2: It's honestly not that great for the cash compared to the mustang, but I'm tired of waiting and no ADM was enough for me to deal with the slush box. This is year 1, wait till the manual hits in 09. I'll let it be slammed after the caparison tests come out then.

On a side note there's a company right now offering a 426 stroker kit with a full 3/36 warranty to the 6.1L motors. It's still as heavy as a garbage truck, but theres alot of potential.

Since weight seems to be the big topic here, what do you guys think the camaro will weigh? my guess is 3900

Chevrolet is good at paring weight from a vehicle if you are willing to pay the price. Look at the Z06, and the price. Any manufacaturer can pare weight for a price. Dodge obviously wasn't willing to invest that capital for this vehicle or at least at this time. GM and Chrysler have been making plans for their new cars but the future CAFE is going to make it tough. And the increase in the gas guzzler tax is going to reduce sales. When sales go down so does profit. Then the car goes away, just like the 70s. Hope we don't see a diesel SHELBY.

What the big 3 need is for NASCAR to make the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger eligible for Nextel Cup Racing. Who really sits in the stands and believes a Ford Fusion is anything but a four cylinder or possibly a V6 family car. Before that it was the Taurus. Nascar is losing fan base and this would be a perfect time to energize their base by putting in real performance cars that people can still buy.

I agree the Manual should help the Challenger next year. That said, the Camaro should be out about that time as well so the competition will be greater. I am not sure why they did not come out with a Manual the first year.

I guess the Camaro will be around 3750 pounds. It will be faster than the Mustang IMO.

I agree the Manual should help the Challenger next year. That said, the Camaro should be out about that time as well so the competition will be greater. I am not sure why they did not come out with a Manual the first year.

I guess the Camaro will be around 3750 pounds. It will be faster than the Mustang IMO.

Boy, does this sound like a familiar story.

http://www.dodge.com/fb.asp?m=1098714

I went by the dealership shown below yesterday to ask about the Challenger. The guy’s story was in conflict with everything I’ve seen from Chrysler that I had to ask, where do you get your information? Here a list of what was the most shocking.

I would not buy a car from this guy if he was the last SOB selling the last car on earth.

Earnhardts Gilbert Dodge

1301 N. Arizona Ave

Gilbert, Az 85233

The initial release will only be 3000 cars.

He is getting 11 of those cars.

The cars being built as 2009 not 2008 cars.

The next release will not be until the 2010 build.

He is selling the cars with a $20K premium.

A $37k CAR WITH A $20k MARKUP. HE MUST BE SMOKING DOPE!!! I’LL BUY A DAMN FORD MUSTAND FIRST.

There are only two options, sunroof and MP3 player.

There are only two (2) colors orange and black.

Ok, so he is confused or the public has been lied to. The part that should concern the buying public and Chrysler the most the $20K markup. If Chrysler really wants to sell this car in meaningful numbers, it better reel the dealerships in. That story about they can not control the dealerships is silly. Nissan has formally released a statement from its Headquarters that it will take the necessary action to prevent dealerships from overcharging for their soon to be released GTR. If the import guys can do it, so can Chrysler, if they really want to...

I agree, I don't think GM will produce a Camaro that isnt equal to or faster than the Mustang. The excitement of the Camaro has kind of worn off for me though; its been coming out for way too long now. With the new CAFE regulations, as well as their financial situation, wouldn't it be a shocker if GM decided NOT to produce it??!!

Ok, so he is confused or the public has been lied to. The part that should concern the buying public and Chrysler the most the $20K markup. If Chrysler really wants to sell this car in meaningful numbers, it better reel the dealerships in. That story about they can not control the dealerships is silly. Nissan has formally released a statement from its Headquarters that it will take the necessary action to prevent dealerships from overcharging for their soon to be released GTR. If the import guys can do it, so can Chrysler, if they really want to...

Yep I bet all the dealers will be doing this. I don't see them coming off of that price either until 2011 or so if at all. Chrysler/Jeep dealers do NOT haggle. My dad has had 2 Jeeps in the last few years and he is el cheapo. He will get the best deal out there and from his experiences I know they don't come off of that sticker much if any.

It's just a good thing us SGT owners had the GT500 to cloud the market enough to not be getting $20K over sticker for our cars. :happy feet:

Chrysler=JUNK. It might be a nice looking car but I guarantee it wont have the fit and finish of a Stang. I bet it will have more creaks and rattles and the interior will be made of cheap junk. Rarely do you see a Chrysler on the road for more then 5 years.

10 years ago I was a contract automotive engineer who worked in several " Chrysler" manufacturing plants in Detroit. All I will say is from an enineering stand point is that Dodge/Chyrsler only care about buying the cheapest, most stripped down, bare bones, no frills manufacturing equipment they can buy. This thought process also carried over to their assembly line equipment & the tools used to do the job. The ONLY car I would consider from this group would be the VIPER & that's because alot of it is hand made & assembled on the line.

Kelsey, are you getting a 2008 and if so are you paying MSRP?

It's a 2008 that's at MSRP. I got the Hemi orange color with the performance tire option and the hard drive/nav unit option.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I know on the challenger forum there are alot who had trouble finding one below 10-15K markup. Some guys had cars ordered in their names then the orders pulled since someone else came along and offered more money. It's pretty ridiculous how much some people will pay! its the GT500 all over again.....

I really like the looks of the new Challenger,I drove a 73 340 Rallye Challenger to high school.I was always a mopar fan when it was definately not cool.Back in the early 80's it was Chevy,Ford and the much despised mopar fans.I have had many from each brand and the crappiest ones were always Chrysler products.They couldn't make a decent electrical system then,Can't do it now!WTF!My first car was a 1968 Dodge Charger,Now if they were to reproduce that and not the extremely gay 4 door version,What a travesty that was!I would have one,Crappy build quality and all.You ask why?Because it pulls at my heart strings!Let's face it,None of the new muscle cars are really good at anything but looking good and going fast,Except the new Charger,It looks like s#$%!They should have made it lighter and faster,i've seen early reports of 5+ 0-60 and high 13 second quarters.What happend?!All told it is still nice to see the manufacturers making some strides in Horsepower and looks,let's hope it continues a little longer!BTW so far I'm able to achieve 25+ MPG highway and from what I've read mid to low 13 second quarters in my 281 cubic inch Bullitt,All for a grand total of 32K or so.Challenger come and get some!

I really like the looks of the new Challenger,I drove a 73 340 Rallye Challenger to high school.I was always a mopar fan when it was definately not cool.Back in the early 80's it was Chevy,Ford and the much despised mopar fans.I have had many from each brand and the crappiest ones were always Chrysler products.They couldn't make a decent electrical system then,Can't do it now!WTF!My first car was a 1968 Dodge Charger,Now if they were to reproduce that and not the extremely gay 4 door version,What a travesty that was!I would have one,Crappy build quality and all.You ask why?Because it pulls at my heart strings!Let's face it,None of the new muscle cars are really good at anything but looking good and going fast,Except the new Charger,It looks like s#$%!They should have made it lighter and faster,i've seen early reports of 5+ 0-60 and high 13 second quarters.What happend?!All told it is still nice to see the manufacturers making some strides in Horsepower and looks,let's hope it continues a little longer!BTW so far I'm able to achieve 25+ MPG highway and from what I've read mid to low 13 second quarters in my 281 cubic inch Bullitt,All for a grand total of 32K or so.Challenger come and get some!

I hear ya. It's the same way with me and the Challenger. They could give me milk crates and seat belts on the inside and I'd still get the thing. As far as the racing goes I got a Shelby for that! The Challenger aint no slouch for a snow plow though.

No offense to the Challenger,I hope you are as satisfied with it as you could possibly be!From the sound of it you will be!Don't get me wrong my posting was not a slam on the car,It looks awesome,Brings back a LOT of good memories!That is what the manufacturers are playing on,Our emotions.When I heard they were bringing the Charger back i expected a 2 door!The new Super Bee in B5 blue looks as good as it can for a 4 door,I was really enthused when I heard the Challenger would once again be on the streets.As far as performance goes,Any car that will run better than a 14 second quarter is still pretty good!I got slammed on all the time when I had my 05 GTO,I kept hearing how it didn't look enough like a "real" GTO.Although I'm pretty sure that it would outrun any stock "real" GTO ever produced.For GM to sell that car with a six speed and 400 HP for 32K,They had to choose between keeping the price down and going with the Monaro body or making it look like a "real" GTO and jacking the price into the stratosphere.It was a hell of a good deal for what you got!Challenger looks spot on like it should and seems to perform fairly well given early reports,So hopefully it will remain around a little longer.Long live all muscle cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense taken at all. I was just agreeing with you that as long as this car looks like this and has some v8 I'd buy one. As far as the performance goes it NEEDS to be slammed so Chrysler will get it moving just a little better, but most SRTs are like the SGT just get em on the track and they're right at home. As far as acceleration, well thats why theres the 426 CID stroker kits! Now if only gas would go down :waiting:

Very nice Kelsey, I would think about one if I had a bigger garage and did not live in New England. One toy does not get enough use up here, forget about two. I can not see the ADM's lasting at all. GT500 can be had for MSRP, the Challenger does not have even close to the following of the Stang or the Camaro. Look at their best Forum, it is dead as a door nail and the car is about to come out. Mustang forums were nuts 6 months befare it came out and stayed that way. 13 MPG has to be a tough daily driver. I had a Jeep Rubicon and it seemed like you could see the gas gauge going down. Not that you buy these cars for gas mileage, but 13 is ridiculous.

Just out of Curiousity, why would you buy it over a GT500??? I know you have a Shelby already, but would be nice to have one of each.

Well I'm not too fond of the GT500 after gettin to drive one. There fast cars, but I just see more of those than SGTs and I'm sure Challengers. I would rather have a mopar and a Shelby than 2 Shelbys. I had the chance to get one below msrp about 3 weeks after I got my SGT, but I didn't like the color combo (black w/ the alloy stripes). So I guess the rare aspect of those compared to the GT500 is what I'm after, I'm only 20 so I don't need that much HP to get myself in trouble! :hysterical2:

Well I'm not too fond of the GT500 after gettin to drive one. There fast cars, but I just see more of those than SGTs and I'm sure Challengers. I would rather have a mopar and a Shelby than 2 Shelbys. I had the chance to get one below msrp about 3 weeks after I got my SGT, but I didn't like the color combo (black w/ the alloy stripes). So I guess the rare aspect of those compared to the GT500 is what I'm after, I'm only 20 so I don't need that much HP to get myself in trouble! :hysterical2:
I need to get a job with you!20 and two awesome cars nice!

Got it, makes sense to me. The Orange looks great in pic's, I can not wait to see it in person.

Got it, makes sense to me. The Orange looks great in pic's, I can not wait to see it in person.

Me neither, I'm gonna try to make it out to the Tulsa Auto show and hopefully get the chance to see it. I'll post some comparison pics with the SGT and Challenger when it shows up.

Me neither, I'm gonna try to make it out to the Tulsa Auto show and hopefully get the chance to see it. I'll post some comparison pics with the SGT and Challenger when it shows up.

I like the retro body of the new challenger, but they could have at least gave it a unique interior. Come on, its just another Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger interior.

only 20 and ur goin to own these 2 cars? wtf u do for a living here? :do what:

only 20 and ur goin to own these 2 cars? wtf u do for a living here? :do what:

I used to run a guitar store in OK with my Dad, but it got to big, and we couldn't run it ourselves so we sold it off. My last job was a research project for NASA through UA. Now I'm back to full time student till summer and I'll probably go work in nuke power with my Dad unless we get funded for phase 2 of the project. My parents are getting the Challenger as a graduation present for me! then 1 more year and I'll have a mechanical engineering degree! :happy feet: I'm so tired of school :waiting:

I used to run a guitar store in OK with my Dad, but it got to big, and we couldn't run it ourselves so we sold it off. My last job was a research project for NASA through UA. Now I'm back to full time student till summer and I'll probably go work in nuke power with my Dad unless we get funded for phase 2 of the project. My parents are getting the Challenger as a graduation present for me! then 1 more year and I'll have a mechanical engineering degree! :happy feet: I'm so tired of school :waiting:

Good for you! I wasn't so lucky to have rich parents (darn it). :(

Hey now!!! I have one on order! but I have my SGT as my fun car and plan on using my Challenger as my DD, so the suspension doesn't bother me. I say don't rule out the Challenger yet, with the 5spd slushbox and a 3.06 out back its making 0-60 in 4.8sec. I'd still wait for some hands on time though. When the 6spd comes out in 09 it's gonna have the 3.92 instead of the 3.06. The R/T which will be direct competition with the mustang GT is gonna have the 5.7L hemi with the same 6spd and 380HP and 404 ft.lbs torque. It's a pig, but it's got some displacement to it, and there's a bigger SRT motor in the works for 2010.

I still am super excited even with the fact that it's kinda big. My 2 dream cars are the Shelby GT350 and 70 challenger, and now I can finally own something that's the best of both worlds.

Maybe not-Chrysler's new ownership has pulled the plug on the Viper after 2010 and my buddy who works at the Belvidere,Il assembly plant told me there are rumors that the SRT program could be next

Archived