TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Am I glad I did not wait for the Challenger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

William Rodgers

Almost 4200 pounds, are they kidding me. It is less than 100 pounds lighter than the Charger and they made the suspension softer than the Charger, I do not get it. I am glad I did not wait for that thing. It does look Sick, but no one on the waiting list can be happy about the numbers coming out. It looks like the Camaro will be the Competition. Imagine how slow the regular Challenger will be.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey now!!! I have one on order! but I have my SGT as my fun car and plan on using my Challenger as my DD, so the suspension doesn't bother me. I say don't rule out the Challenger yet, with the 5spd slushbox and a 3.06 out back its making 0-60 in 4.8sec. I'd still wait for some hands on time though. When the 6spd comes out in 09 it's gonna have the 3.92 instead of the 3.06. The R/T which will be direct competition with the mustang GT is gonna have the 5.7L hemi with the same 6spd and 380HP and 404 ft.lbs torque. It's a pig, but it's got some displacement to it, and there's a bigger SRT motor in the works for 2010.

I still am super excited even with the fact that it's kinda big. My 2 dream cars are the Shelby GT350 and 70 challenger, and now I can finally own something that's the best of both worlds.

Well the seats in the thing came from Levitz. I think its a boulevard cruiser especially with the slushy box. Cool car, just not for me. Interesting to see what happens if they build a light weight version with a s/c or turbo. You know someone will tear up a 40k car to do it too, now that should be cool. Still thinking it LOOKS cool, except the seats and tranny. You know the Chevy is going to come with a super tough high hp version, maybe from the vette program. Opinion is out until I see it in person though, pics don't speak to me. Totally awesome that the carmakers finally "got it". Rock on! :happy feet:

I'm waiting for the heads-up comparison w/ a Mustang GT. The sad thing is, the 6.1 Challenger should be competing w/ a GT500, but it will instead have Mustang GT performance it appears, due to the weight?

We keep hearing about wait until 2010 etc and talk of 5.7 and 6.1 litre motors. All of that was before the latest legislation for CAFE standards. I am not saying it won't happen but the trend appears to be towards V-6 engines, turbos and even turbo diesels. It will be interesting to see what the Big 3 will do in 2010 and the next few years. There was an article on line yesterday on MSN about the demise of horsepower just like in the 70s. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!Don't take our Horspower away!just when i thought we were starting to make some headway with technology!I guess anything with 300HP and up V8 style will be gone!if it doesn't have that V8 sound,I'm out!Anyone remember when the Corvettes and mustang V8s had speedometers with 85mph tops and about 150 HP under the hood,OUCH!

That's because everyone is trying to play follow the leader with Ford(as usual). I'd be suprised to see the camaro or challenger even make it to production. Even if it does, it will not compete with Ford at the same price level, etc.

Also I don't see a 4200 pound car doing 0-60 in 4.8. That is entirely hypothetical. :)

Well the Challenger is not for me but the Mustang is not for everyone either. I personally am happy to see another retro muscle car come into the fold. I think it's going to help build up another muscle car era that we can all enjoy for years to come. We have to have new sheet metal to show off among the 60's and 70's cars. So I say great bring out the Challenger and the Camaro. Bottom line though, you can't beat a Shelby! And it sounds like our SGT's will easily run with the SRT8 Challenger (provided that we don't get the itch to put Super Chargers on!) Then it's no contest! ;-)

I like the concept of the new Challenger..even considered ordering one,but the ADM for the first year models completly turned me off..Who knows what the quality is going to be like on these cars especially with Chrysler's problems...

Glad i waited and found my Shelby.. :happy feet:

Ummm...4.6L vs. 6.1L is a "fair" comparasion? 281 CID vs. 350 CID? You guys nutz?

IMHO, pound for pound (coins or car), the SGT/Bullitt/GT 500 is the better investment in performance.

EDIT: I meant to say 5.7L, but it doesn't really matter. Stilll not a fair comparasion.

Ummm...4.6L vs. 6.1L is a "fair" comparasion? 281 CID vs. 350 CID? You guys nutz?

IMHO, pound for pound (coins or car), the SGT/Bullitt/GT 500 is the better investment in performance.

6.1L should be aprox 372 CID..definately not a fair comparsion..

+1 the mustang has such a HUGE after market following when compared to Mopar stuff. Stock/Stock though the SRT is a great line if you ask me, but there's just so many options for more performance from ford once your out the door from the dealer. It's not 350 CID its 370 CID, man I would love to see the 400+ CID V8s come back........ but I know that'll never happen. :waiting:

At the rate we are going we don't need to see 400 cid again. Not with super chargers and turbos. However, there is no substitute for cubic inches and those big blocks do have TORQUE ! But again, I think we are moving more towards V-6 engines, direct injection, superchargers and even turbo charged diesels. Don't know if I could get used to a Shelby diesel !!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!Don't take our Horspower away!just when i thought we were starting to make some headway with technology!I guess anything with 300HP and up V8 style will be gone!if it doesn't have that V8 sound,I'm out!Anyone remember when the Corvettes and mustang V8s had speedometers with 85mph tops and about 150 HP under the hood,OUCH!

I am with you on that, back to BMW and Porshe for me if that happens.

Chrysler=JUNK. It might be a nice looking car but I guarantee it wont have the fit and finish of a Stang. I bet it will have more creaks and rattles and the interior will be made of cheap junk. Rarely do you see a Chrysler on the road for more then 5 years.

I agree 100% and with their New CEO Bob Nardelli who is known to make profit from cost cutting the cars are only going to get worse if that is possible.

EDIT: I meant to say 5.7L, but it doesn't really matter. Stilll not a fair comparasion.

You were right the first time, it is a 6.1L, the 5.7L will be out later. 425HP and 420 lbs of torque, starting price now of 42K, and it is going to compete with a Stock GT, not good. The 5.7 will probably be a 6 second 0-60 car, also not good.

At first I heard the price was $37,995, now I am reading $42k, what is that all about. For that price I am sorry they should not get any ADM's. IF they do it will be short lived like the 300C's and Charger. The second year of the SRT line they went for MSRP, the third year they had invoice minus $3500 rebates.

Do not take this the wrong way, I love the car, I am just confused on the weight and the Price.

Hey now!!! I have one on order! but I have my SGT as my fun car and plan on using my Challenger as my DD, so the suspension doesn't bother me. I say don't rule out the Challenger yet, with the 5spd slushbox and a 3.06 out back its making 0-60 in 4.8sec. I'd still wait for some hands on time though. When the 6spd comes out in 09 it's gonna have the 3.92 instead of the 3.06. The R/T which will be direct competition with the mustang GT is gonna have the 5.7L hemi with the same 6spd and 380HP and 404 ft.lbs torque. It's a pig, but it's got some displacement to it, and there's a bigger SRT motor in the works for 2010.

I still am super excited even with the fact that it's kinda big. My 2 dream cars are the Shelby GT350 and 70 challenger, and now I can finally own something that's the best of both worlds.

Good for you, I would love one as a DD, but I live in New England plus 2 year old twins so it would get old quick. That said, if I lived down south an SRT Charger would be nice. I did hear they get like 13 MPG so that might stop it from being a DD as well. I agree it will be a much better car after the first year when they come out with the Manual and a Special Edition or two.

Chrysler=JUNK. It might be a nice looking car but I guarantee it wont have the fit and finish of a Stang. I bet it will have more creaks and rattles and the interior will be made of cheap junk. Rarely do you see a Chrysler on the road for more then 5 years.

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

You feel the same about chryco as I do..........worst p.o.sh*ts on the road. I unloaded my overrated '02 Dakota r/t with only 12000 miles.........no problems for me but the guy i sold to is having many with only 25000 miles. Garbage............nothing r/t about it, slow truck with a truck low perf. motor

I guess I got lucky then. I have mine ordered and priced at 41,035. Exactly MSRP I'm not paying any markup. I'm looking at my invoice right now and it shows MSRP at 37,320+50 for summer perf. tires + 890 for "MyGIG with Nav" + 2,100 Gas guzzler tax+675 Dest Charge=41,035. I had the same opportunity on a GT500 when they launched, but things just didn't work out on my end. My grandpa worked for Chrysler from 1970 until about 2002. This is my first non-Chrysler vehicle I've ever owned, and i've never had a single problems with any of em ever.

When my SGT is not my DD i do plan on putting on a S/C maybe this summer, and your right its not a SHELBY but it's still a challenger. The same way I was drawn to the SGT I saw the challenger and was drawn to it. It's not for everyone but it's still a good thing for ford. This means for the first time in quite a while there will be competition in the muscle car market. This hopefully will mean more HP for the mustang and future Shelbys.

EDIT: You don't think when you buy these cars, you buy em because you have a passion for cars.

Spec sheet

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

Low 5's in 0-60 and 13 mpg. Also looks too much like a stang and less like a challenger to me.

....next :hysterical2:

13 mpg, yikes! I know, its a muscle car...but my SGT has not gotten worse than 19 mpg and its just as quick as the Challenger? Although, maybe the Challenger real-world mpg will be better.

I like'em both, would I change over to a Challenger....................... hell no, you would have to expect this type of reaction to the Challenger on the CS site, just like I presume that the Shelby is looked down upon on the Challenger site. We really won't know untill the heads up comparison is done, so in the meantime lets welcome the new addition to the muscle car nation and kick his a$$ later!

Almost 4200 pounds, are they kidding me. It is less than 100 pounds lighter than the Charger and they made the suspension softer than the Charger, I do not get it. I am glad I did not wait for that thing. It does look Sick, but no one on the waiting list can be happy about the numbers coming out. It looks like the Camaro will be the Competition. Imagine how slow the regular Challenger will be.

I was hot on the challenger and got on several waiting lists. I even got a matchbox car from my wife for Christmas 2006 and I was saving my pennies. But I saw the SGT in a showroom and was floored! The Challey is nice but it doesn't look as good as my black SGT. It will be able to smoke the tires but since I don't race, I rather have a car that looks awesome vs. has more power. Also, even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy it because of the automatic transmission. I would have to wait for the 6 speed (if it ever happens?).

So yeah, I'm glad I didn't wait for the Challenger.

Archived