TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BOOST

LHARDY

I've seen it vary by the posts on here...

On mine I can get it right at 10 according to the gauge. My parent's I can't get quite that much, 8 to 9

For most I have seen an average of 7 expected by posts on this site...

Some as low as 4....but I dont know that it isn't a gauge inaccuracy over actual performance, so take that into consideration for above or below. Frankly, my parent's car is identical in every aspect, even color...built two days apart. Even with the difference in boost, there was no difference when my brother and I let em rip. Stayed nose to nose the whole way to about 100mph ( one light to the next light)

• 3 weeks later...
At what RPM does it kick in. My gauge shows 0 until somewhere around 2k-3k. Is that correct? I just picked it up yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time to see. Thanks.

Yes, but towards the upper end of 2k to 3k; you'll hear it when it kicks in. It will read 0 with normal driving around town. I don't even look at my boost gauge unless I go WOT, then it pegs to 8 or 9 on the scale.

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the site!

Yes, but towards the upper end of 2k to 3k; you'll hear it when it kicks in. It will read 0 with normal driving around town. I don't even look at my boost gauge unless I go WOT, then it pegs to 8 or 9 on the scale.

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the site!

Thanks 6speed. I was a little concerned as I read online in some review that stated you better like the sound of the SC as you'll hear most of the time.

Unfortunately I may not hear it for a few days as when I got the car home from the 50 mile drive from the dealer that I bought the car from, I had a puddle of coolant sitting on the driveway so now it's sitting in the garage until the local dealer can get me in. I think it might be coming from the SC expansion tank as the level is higher than the cold range marks on the tank. I can't see if there is an overflow tube anywhere. I will drain some out tommorow and see if that is the problem. It isn't coming out of the cap. Anybody know where it would come out if it was overfilled at the factory? Pretty ironic as I sold my 21 year old '87 GT the night before I picked up the Shelby and that had s leaky water pump!

Thanks 6speed. I was a little concerned as I read online in some review that stated you better like the sound of the SC as you'll hear most of the time.

Unfortunately I may not hear it for a few days as when I got the car home from the 50 mile drive from the dealer that I bought the car from, I had a puddle of coolant sitting on the driveway so now it's sitting in the garage until the local dealer can get me in. I think it might be coming from the SC expansion tank as the level is higher than the cold range marks on the tank. I can't see if there is an overflow tube anywhere. I will drain some out tommorow and see if that is the problem. It isn't coming out of the cap. Anybody know where it would come out if it was overfilled at the factory? Pretty ironic as I sold my 21 year old '87 GT the night before I picked up the Shelby and that had s leaky water pump!

these things have a common history of problems with hose clamps since they just use the spring type. You might check that out first. Easiest way is to look for evidence of spray residue in the vicinity of the clamps. There are a couple of threads on here that you could find using the search function. This has happened to many owners.

John

You will if your driving it correctly.

If your in the higher gear range and running about 1800RPMs and just push the peddle down the boost will jump to about 4 -5 psi. Until it winds up and gets to about 2500rpm it should go the rest of the way up to 9psi.

In a lower gear if your romp on it... it should jump right up to full boost of 9 psi.

do a search and check for coolant leak, there was a few threads talking about it leaking and you can find the fix.. If i remember correctly it was the plastic clamps that were not holding under the pressure. Have it checked out , get new clamps or have them put metal ones on the hoses. It has been an issue for several of our members here.

Congrats on the new RIDE

I had a puddle of coolant sitting on the driveway so now it's sitting in the garage until the local dealer can get me in. I think it might be coming from the SC expansion tank as the level is higher than the cold range marks on the tank. I can't see if there is an overflow tube anywhere. I will drain some out tommorow and see if that is the problem. It isn't coming out of the cap. Anybody know where it would come out if it was overfilled at the factory? Pretty ironic as I sold my 21 year old '87 GT the night before I picked up the Shelby and that had s leaky water pump!

My SC intercooler reservior tank is filled above the Max bar as well. I don't know why Ford fills them up so much but I don't believe that's the problem. I agree with KCMO-GT500, it's probably a problem with the cheap spring clamps on one of the coolant hoses. Lots of folks are having problems with these clamps - may not leak until it's up to temperature. Checkout this thread:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...t=0&start=0

My SC intercooler reservior tank is filled above the Max bar as well. I don't know why Ford fills them up so much but I don't believe that's the problem. I agree with KCMO-GT500, it's probably a problem with the cheap spring clamps on one of the coolant hoses. Lots of folks are having problems with these clamps - may not leak until it's up to temperature. Checkout this thread:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...t=0&start=0

Thanks guys. Just read that thread after posting here. Pretty disheartening as this seems to be an ongoing problem. Thought I'd get a few thousand miles on the car before I had to let the dealer get their hands on it. Letting the dealer work on my car scares me more than leaving it in a crowded parking lot sometimes.

Thanks guys. Just read that thread after posting here. Pretty disheartening as this seems to be an ongoing problem. Thought I'd get a few thousand miles on the car before I had to let the dealer get their hands on it. Letting the dealer work on my car scares me more than leaving it in a crowded parking lot sometimes.

Well if you goto the dealership to have them look at the clamps or replace them. Don't let your car out of your site and go in the shop and baby sit the car while it is worked on if you can. You will feel much better.

These Eaton superchargers have a bypass valve that when open allows the intake air to essentially bypass the SC. When boost is needed, the bypass valve will close feeding the air through the SC, allowing it to pressurize the intake. So boost is created "on-demad".

I hear you, I don't like taking my car into the dealership either but I have done so a few time already, nothing serious. I always tell the dealer not to wash my car. I do my own routine maintenance when I can, such oil changes - I don't trust the mechanics that are assigned to do the oil changes.

These Eaton superchargers have a bypass valve that when open allows the intake air to essentially bypass the SC. When the PCM senses that boost is needed, it will close the bypass valve feeding the air through the SC, allowing it to pressurize the intake. So boost is created "on-demad".

I hear you, I don't like taking my car into the dealership either but I have done so a few time already, nothing serious. I always tell the dealer not to wash my car. I do my own routine maintenance when I can, such oil changes - I don't trust the mechanics that are assigned to do the oil changes.

The PCM has no direct control of the bypass valve. It is pneumatic and connected to the upstream and down stream of the throttle body. Thus it closes the bypass when the throttle goes near wot.

Little know is that the preload on the bypass valve is adjustable. Loosening the mounting bolts and sliding it to apply more pressure on the closed valve will cause it to open a bit sooner and with a little more snap. Does not effect altimate boost level though. The PCM does control boost level though but it does so via throttle position.

The PCM has no direct control of the bypass valve. It is pneumatic and connected to the upstream and down stream of the throttle body. Thus it closes the bypass when the throttle goes near wot.

Little know is that the preload on the bypass valve is adjustable. Loosening the mounting bolts and sliding it to apply more pressure on the closed valve will cause it to open a bit sooner and with a little more snap. Does not effect altimate boost level though. The PCM does control boost level though but it does so via throttle position.

Thanks for the clarification - the PCM controls so many things on this car, I just assumed it did that as well.

Archived