TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cold start up question

When my car is cold and i start it, it starts to run for a second and when i let off the key it doesn't run for a second or two then starts running. My wife's 06 GT doesn't do it. When you start it cold, bang it's running no hesitation.

When my car is warm after driving it doesn't falter on start up, but seems to have turn over a little more than my wife's car before it fires. I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced this. It always starts, but it doesn't seem right to me. Guess i will be dealer bound when the weather gets better.

It would be best to do it now because the conditions may not be the same and the problem

will go away until cold again.

Check the battery to make sure that it has a full charge. It would appear that more than one person on here has experienced a problem with that.

How long has it been sitting?

How cold is it?

Art

It would be best to do it now because the conditions may not be the same and the problem

will go away until cold again.

Check the battery to make sure that it has a full charge. It would appear that more than one person on here has experienced a problem with that.

How long has it been sitting?

How cold is it?

Art

It gets driven once or twice a week weather permitting, so it doesn't sit for extended periods of time. As far as how cold it is, we have been having anywhere from teens to mid thirties. Although my garage while not heated, is insulated and drywalled will stay about 10 to 15 degrees warmer than outside temps.

I have been thinking about it since i posted, and wonder if the fuel pump pressure might be bleeding off a little.

Mine does this too. Maybe something to do with the SGT tune?? I don't see how it could cause any harm though.

It won't hurt anything, but the reason i posted is to see if it tends to be SGT specific, and might have something to do with the tune. It's not right, and as stated in my first post my wifes Mustang doesn't do it. Still wondering about the fuel pump pressure bleeding off. Oh well it's Fords problem, thats what warranty's are for.

Thanks for the input Kurg.

It won't hurt anything, but the reason i posted is to see if it tends to be SGT specific, and might have something to do with the tune. It's not right, and as stated in my first post my wifes Mustang doesn't do it. Still wondering about the fuel pump pressure bleeding off. Oh well it's Fords problem, thats what warranty's are for.

Thanks for the input Kurg.

I had this on a 2004 Mustang. It turned out that the fuel system would depressurize and so the pressure would be low on the initial start. If the key was turned to the "on" position for a few seconds before engaging the starter, then all was okay.

I had this on a 2004 Mustang. It turned out that the fuel system would depressurize and so the pressure would be low on the initial start. If the key was turned to the "on" position for a few seconds before engaging the starter, then all was okay.

That's the way i'm leaning. Next time i start it i will try turning the key to the on position first for a few seconds and see what it does. I will let the dealer check it out when it goes there for the camber kit. Maybe i am to anal but i want it fixed. I like a car thats well sorted out.

Thanks Robb

That's the way i'm leaning. Next time i start it i will try turning the key to the on position first for a few seconds and see what it does. I will let the dealer check it out when it goes there for the camber kit. Maybe i am to anal but i want it fixed. I like a car thats well sorted out.

Thanks Robb

Robb,

Could be a gas cap issue. Sometimes if they are not tightened to the first or second click they will cause a similar situation. Also are you running an SC? There is a warning not to cold start an SC under 25 degrees F.

Robb,

Could be a gas cap issue. Sometimes if they are not tightened to the first or second click they will cause a similar situation. Also are you running an SC? There is a warning not to cold start an SC under 25 degrees F.

No blower ross much to my dismay, but that's another story in itself. Gas caps fine, i always tighten two clicks. I talk to a service writer at my dealer who is a friend of mine and the first thing that came to his mind was a possible fuel pressure bleed off. No problem though, as it's under warranty and they will check it out.

I am trying to get a feel for this to see if it seems to be a common occurrence with SGT's, or more of an isolated problem. I really appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Your start ups do not sound normal to me. My SGT has been starting up like it should, even after sitting in a cold (40 degree) garage for a week. In fact it seems to fire up a litle better than my '06 Expedition.

Your start ups do not sound normal to me. My SGT has been starting up like it should, even after sitting in a cold (40 degree) garage for a week. In fact it seems to fire up a litle better than my '06 Expedition.

Yep ilmor it's not normal. My wifes 06 Mustang sits in the garage next to it and starts with no falter. Heck my 00 F150 starts right, and it sits outside under a carport attached to my garage. When we get a nice stretch of weather around here it's going back and they are going to install the camber kit, and said they will troubleshoot the start up situation also.

Thanks

Also are you running an SC? There is a warning not to cold start an SC under 25 degrees F.

Urban legend. Reasonable mechanical foundation supporting this is absent. I have owned several supercharged automobiles, and never heard such a caution. I have driven thousands of miles in zero and sub-zero weather with a blower at play, no problems.

My best guess is that the same car prolly will have a traction control problem on frozen pavement most likely due to race oriented tires in place. This should cause you to re-think the need to be on the road, however, don't blame this on a blower. It hasn't been earned with factual experience.

This is starting to worry me a little more now. This morning it was pretty cold(25F) and there was a longer pause than normal. I even turned the key to on for a few seconds before starting and it still did it.

I just am now wondering if it actually *could* have some ramifications such as premature starter wear and tear. Guess only time will tell, but since I'm putting an S/C on it after factory warranty then it won't matter because it will get a different tune.

I'm thinking it must be related to the SGT tune somehow. Gotta love computers! :hysterical:

This is starting to worry me a little more now. This morning it was pretty cold(25F) and there was a longer pause than normal. I even turned the key to on for a few seconds before starting and it still did it.

I just am now wondering if it actually *could* have some ramifications such as premature starter wear and tear. Guess only time will tell, but since I'm putting an S/C on it after factory warranty then it won't matter because it will get a different tune.

I'm thinking it must be related to the SGT tune somehow. Gotta love computers! :hysterical:

I think if it was tune related most everyone's would do it, but could be wrong. I'm still leaning towards fuel pressure bleeding off, but might be wrong on that also. When the weather gets decent it's going in for that and a couple other things, then we will find out.

Kinda unrelated but I'm thinking the don't start when it's real cold blower issue relates more to the oiling system being self contained or engine oil pressure fed and the type of lubrication used.if you don't follow the manufacturers direct instructions,You might have a warranty issue with your charger.Just a thought cause i don't have any real experience with one,Just know that these are some of the manufacturers statements I've seen.

I have been starting my car in -20 and 0 degree days and it hsa always started right up. I gotta think your situation is not normal.

Kinda unrelated but I'm thinking the don't start when it's real cold blower issue relates more to the oiling system being self contained or engine oil pressure fed and the type of lubrication used.if you don't follow the manufacturers direct instructions,You might have a warranty issue with your charger.Just a thought cause i don't have any real experience with one,Just know that these are some of the manufacturers statements I've seen.

You're correct to say it's not related. The car in question is N/A. However, since you brought it up again...

Even Ford has not issued such cautions. I went back to Ford's "big red book" on the 5.4L-4V S/C GT 500 engine (sections 303-01C-1 throught 303-04C-8), a very detailed section on maintenence and repair for a factory built supercharged engine. I would imagine it's very similar to the same referrence information for the '03-'04 Mustang Cobra, and the other supercharged vehicles sold over the last 5 years.

Not one word of such a caution about cold start-up temps, and considering the retail sales of these vehicles over the last five years, and the fact that half of the US. is in 25 degree F or lower temps for at least 4 months of the year, I wonder how/why they sold.

Maybe one of our member/dealers who retail these cars could chime in? Michael Morris...Ever tell a customer to park his supercharged Ford under 25 degrees F OT?

When my car is cold and i start it, it starts to run for a second and when i let off the key it doesn't run for a second or two then starts running. My wife's 06 GT doesn't do it. When you start it cold, bang it's running no hesitation.

When my car is warm after driving it doesn't falter on start up, but seems to have turn over a little more than my wife's car before it fires. I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced this. It always starts, but it doesn't seem right to me. Guess i will be dealer bound when the weather gets better.

While I had my "big red book" open, I did some more reading on your symptoms, and there is one thing you can try before visiting the dealer.

Disconnect your positive battery cable for 15-20 minutes, then reconnect. Weather and traffic providing, go drive some WOT "on ramp" pulls, run through all the gears if possible. This will clear the "adaptive learning" memory module which may be operating on setting from the last fall day you had the car out, and reset them to that day's weather conditions.

If this doesn't show any improvement, your problem is mechanical, and IMHO, it sounds like the TB butterfly isn't closing completely. Fouled Throttle position sensor (TPS), or, an air leak in the induction path after the MAF.

While I had my "big red book" open, I did some more reading on your symptoms, and there is one thing you can try before visiting the dealer.

Disconnect your positive battery cable for 15-20 minutes, then reconnect. Weather and traffic providing, go drive some WOT "on ramp" pulls, run through all the gears if possible. This will clear the "adaptive learning" memory module which may be operating on setting from the last fall day you had the car out, and reset them to that day's weather conditions.

If this doesn't show any improvement, your problem is mechanical, and IMHO, it sounds like the TB butterfly isn't closing completely. Fouled Throttle position sensor (TPS), or, an air leak in the induction path after the MAF.

I just got back from a drive. It had been sitting in the garage for 4 or 5 days. I turned the key to the on position for about 5 seconds before starting and it didn't do it, it fired right up with no falter.

Robbcwz mentioned the same problem on an 04 Mustang he had. He stated when he turned the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting it wouldn't do it. He said the fuel pressure was bleeding off.

I appreciate the info 07SGT4729, thanks for taking the time to research it. I will try your suggestion the next time i use it.

You're correct to say it's not related. The car in question is N/A. However, since you brought it up again...

Even Ford has not issued such cautions. I went back to Ford's "big red book" on the 5.4L-4V S/C GT 500 engine (sections 303-01C-1 throught 303-04C-8), a very detailed section on maintenence and repair for a factory built supercharged engine. I would imagine it's very similar to the same referrence information for the '03-'04 Mustang Cobra, and the other supercharged vehicles sold over the last 5 years.

Not one word of such a caution about cold start-up temps, and considering the retail sales of these vehicles over the last five years, and the fact that half of the US. is in 25 degree F or lower temps for at least 4 months of the year, I wonder how/why they sold.

Maybe one of our member/dealers who retail these cars could chime in? Michael Morris...Ever tell a customer to park his supercharged Ford under 25 degrees F OT?

Don't shoot the messenger. I have owned both an 03 and 04 Cobra and never had the issue. Although I never did start the car in such conditions either. I would suspect that it has more to do with the Paxton set up due to the tapping of the oil pan for lubrication to the blower bearings and related oil viscosity.

I do not have a supercharger but I do remember somebody on the old Shelby Public Forum mentioned there was a warning with their supercharger, I believe it was the Paxton, not to start the car below 25 degrees. Discussion that followed stated it had to do with lubrication. I think one person stated that had they known the temperature limitations they would not have installed the supercharger.

Mine did this one time....no problem since....your guess is as good as mine...keith 07 SGT.

Same here Ilmor--my '06 Expedition is much more cold blooded than the Shelby. My Expedition doesn't like to start right up if it has to sit outside at work on one of these subzero days. My Shelby gets started every 7-10 days and it has never hesitated-it sits in an unheated (insulated and drywalled) garage which runs about 10-15 degrees warmer than outside and we've had some REALLY cold days

Don't shoot the messenger. I have owned both an 03 and 04 Cobra and never had the issue. Although I never did start the car in such conditions either. I would suspect that it has more to do with the Paxton set up due to the tapping of the oil pan for lubrication to the blower bearings and related oil viscosity.

Hehehe...I don't shoot anymore, I'm retired.

Again...The operating temp limitations stated here are urban legend. I've not found one word with any proof otherwise.

Moreover, some blowers are sealed with self contained oil supplies, such as the new-ish Paxtion SL, while others use engine oil. This process is oil pump driven. The blower is lubricated at the same pressure as the engine via a tap off the oil filter assembly, and the line tapped into the oil pan is the return line. Oil is always present in a small reservoir inside the blower, and the friction at start-up is about the same as it is for valve/cam components, and no tells us not to start our engines under 25 degrees F do they?

This man's issue with cold start-up has nothing to do with blowers, he doesn't have one. And those of you who do, please go through your owner's manuals and find the the caution. None of the websites I recently checked say anything about it.

I do wish we would stop circulating this myth. There's no proof behind the theory.

Again...Those of us here who sell supercharged automobiles for a living please speak up? Expalin to us all what you tell the new owner when delivering a supercharged car (factory install or otherwise) and clear this up?

I need to correct this statement. I did not previously wait very long to start my car when I posted this. Now, I am finding out that if I turn the key on and wait until it completely stops dinging, that there is no pause after the initial ignition.

It does, however, still do it if I just go directly from "off" to "start" when it's cold.

I need to correct this statement. I did not previously wait very long to start my car when I posted this. Now, I am finding out that if I turn the key on and wait until it completely stops dinging, that there is no pause after the initial ignition.

It does, however, still do it if I just go directly from "off" to "start" when it's cold.

Same here.

Archived