TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Brake Upgrade

KMCBOSS

I saw this topic posted in the KR forum and thought it would be applicable here.

The brake upgrade is to cost $4,200 U.S., but does not have 4-piston rear calipers; if Baer Brakes cannot supply 4-piston calipers, you need to find another supplier who can. The 725 hp KR must be on par with 2009 Corvette ZR1, 2009 Nissan GTR, 2008 Porsche 911 GT3RS and other semi-exotics in terms of braking performance - Brembo, Wilwood and other brake manufacturers have 4-piston rear brake caliper systems that would fit the KR. Though I know the KRs are running 18" alloy wheels, most of the competitors listed above are already running 15.5" front discs with 6-piston calipers and 14"-15" rear discs with 4-piston calipers as "stock" configurations. With 725 hp, "re-located" 2-piston rear calipers won't do as is supposed to be supplied with the 14" two-piece rear brake calipers.

I believe this is an important issue

Is it possible for SAI to offer a rear brake upgrade at this stage of the game for SS and KR vehicles?

Ed

I saw this topic posted in the KR forum and thought it would be applicable here.

The brake upgrade is to cost $4,200 U.S., but does not have 4-piston rear calipers; if Baer Brakes cannot supply 4-piston calipers, you need to find another supplier who can. The 725 hp KR must be on par with 2009 Corvette ZR1, 2009 Nissan GTR, 2008 Porsche 911 GT3RS and other semi-exotics in terms of braking performance - Brembo, Wilwood and other brake manufacturers have 4-piston rear brake caliper systems that would fit the KR. Though I know the KRs are running 18" alloy wheels, most of the competitors listed above are already running 15.5" front discs with 6-piston calipers and 14"-15" rear discs with 4-piston calipers as "stock" configurations. With 725 hp, "re-located" 2-piston rear calipers won't do as is supposed to be supplied with the 14" two-piece rear brake calipers.

I believe this is an important issue

Is it possible for SAI to offer a rear brake upgrade at this stage of the game for SS and KR vehicles?

Ed

Hi Ed.

Let me take a stab at this since no one else has.

I like you and probably many others, asked the same question. So I look into the brake setup when I ordered my SS, because I wanted to make sure I was getting the best I could get and didn’t understand why they (SAI) would change out the front but not the back brake system.

I though maybe I could buy a rear 4 piston set up for mine but can’t find one.

The Type Rear End on the GT500 is hard on the disc and caliper setup. Brembo made and tested a rear 4 piston system but had trouble with it because of the excessive movement of the GT500 rear end, they shelved it.

From everything I have learned the ford rear caliper that is on there is best suited for it.

Neither Brembo or Baer intend to market a rear caliper that will work for the GT 500 at this time or near future.

Both are good, no doubt some prefer one over the other but lets leave that for another post.

The best we can do we can do with are set up, is to add the larger matching 14 inch disc replacing the stock disc. Provided it will fit behind the new wheel, I can’t see why it wouldn’t but cant get the wheel specs to find out.

The reason I wanted the wheel specs is because SAI isn’t going to the 14 inch on the rear, so there “may” (don’t know) be a fit issue. Or it could be SAI decided the cost out weighed the gained stopping power benefit. ***(edit -- I forgot to mention the 14 inch disc is one heavy SOB, so part of SAI reason not to include it may be due to the added weight) ***

Either way if it will fit, I would think it would look much better (better matched look wise and filling up the space better) then the stock rear disc, IMO.

You can contact Baer and Brembo, for more info.

The part number for the Baer 14 inch Drilled & Slotted is Disc 2262019 they are $695.00 a set.

The part number for Brembo 14 inch Disc RTR2524SP (SP for slotted disc pair) Cost is $339.00 for the slotted disc set.

I believe it was DP for drilled disc pair.

Brembo does not make a drilled & slotted disc, Your choice is slotted for the track or drilled for the street.

I know this does not address the specific question you asked, but maybe it helps you understand the situation a little better.

Jim

Hi Ed.

Let me take a stab at this since no one else has.

I like you and probably many others, asked the same question. So I look into the brake setup when I ordered my SS, because I wanted to make sure I was getting the best I could get and didn't understand why they (SAI) would change out the front but not the back brake system.

I though maybe I could buy a rear 4 piston set up for mine but can't find one.

The Type Rear End on the GT500 is hard on the disc and caliper setup. Brembo made and tested a rear 4 piston system but had trouble with it because of the excessive movement of the GT500 rear end, they shelved it.

From everything I have learned the ford rear caliper that is on there is best suited for it.

Neither Brembo or Baer intend to market a rear caliper that will work for the GT 500 at this time or near future.

Both are good, no doubt some prefer one over the other but lets leave that for another post.

The best we can do we can do with are set up, is to add the larger matching 14 inch disc replacing the stock disc. Provided it will fit behind the new wheel, I can't see why it wouldn't but cant get the wheel specs to find out.

The reason when I wanted the wheel specs is because SAI isn't going to the 14 inch on the rear, so there "may" (don't know) a fit issue. Or it could be SAI decided the cost out weighed the gained stopping power benefit.

Either way if it will fit, I would think it would look much better (better matched, and filling up the space) then the stock rear disc, IMO.

You can contact Baer and Brembo, for more info.

The part number for the Baer 14 inch Disc 2262019 they are $695.00 a set.

The part number for Brembo 14 inch Disc RTR2524SP (SPfor slotted disc pair) Cost is $339.00 for the slotted disc set. I believe it was DP for drilled disc pair.

Brembo does not make a drilled & slotted disc, Choice is slotted for the track or drilled for the street.

I know this does not address the specific question you asked, but maybe it helps you understand the situation a little better.

Jim

Hey there,

There IS a 4 piston Big Brake kit available for this car (sold by a number of the forum sponsors here). AP Racing has a kit available (pictured below). There is also one of the forum members who has just completed the install of this kit on his GT500. Will be installing the front kit (if he hasnt already) soon. Here is a link to the thread he created - http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14614

ap4150.jpg

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks

Page

Hey there,

There IS a 4 piston Big Brake kit available for this car (sold by a number of the forum sponsors here). AP Racing has a kit available (pictured below). There is also one of the forum members who has just completed the install of this kit on his GT500. Will be installing the front kit (if he hasnt already) soon. Here is a link to the thread he created - http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14614

ap4150.jpg

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks

Page

I stand corrected.

Thanks

Hey there,

Thats an SN95 braking system - not an S197 system. Would actually be somewhat of a downgrade on a GT500, and not much of an upgrade for a Shelby GT.

Page

Archived