TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clear Front Bra

Shelby GT/SC 1685

I may have interest in this as well. Are you talking about Clear-bra or something different?

This was to be a clear hard bra that would fit the front nose. It could be taken off to wash the car. Made from hard plastic.

The old thread was looking for a minimum order for the company to make these. A local Shelby owner was willing to use his car to pull a mold.

I'm trying to protect the paint from rock chips. My car has 178 miles on it, and I've found a few little chips already. I have had thoughts of using the 3M product, but don't want to mess with the originality of the car.

Got you, never heard of it, but I would be interested as well. I am afraid of putting clear bra over the stickers, when I decided to take the clear bra off I would assume it might pull on the stickers as well.

I HATE rock chips!!!!!!!!!

VERY TRUE!!!!!

I hope somebody remembers this post. I'm not able to find anything when doing a search. This was on the old site before the move!

I am very interested in this too. I was going to go the 3M route till someone showed me their car in which it had turned all yellow and started to eat the paint. I got a small rock scratch on the front so far not bad but still drives me nuts! :banghead: I have a small rock get the door after bouncing off the side scoops which was kinda weird......... o well, can't keep 'em perfect if ya drive 'em!

I am very interested in this too. I was going to go the 3M route till someone showed me their car in which it had turned all yellow and started to eat the paint. I got a small rock scratch on the front so far not bad but still drives me nuts! :banghead: I have a small rock get the door after bouncing off the side scoops which was kinda weird......... o well, can't keep 'em perfect if ya drive 'em!

I too have seen the 3M product on white cars turn a slight shade of yellow. Last year a friend of mine had it put on a White GT500 and it turned a hue of yellow.

There is a clear bra product from a company called Ventureshield that has a specific Gaurentee not to turn your car yellow for "life". This is what it states:The manufacturer's lifetime warranty is against yellowing, bubbling or cracking.

Here is a link to a FAQ linky from my installer on the product that will answer alot of questions about Venturshield: http://www.clearbraoregon.com/page/page/2720290.htm

I had the product put on my car and it is preforming well. Also, a week after I had it done I found a blem on the front hood and they pulled the clear bra off as I watched. No damage was done to my stripes. They put on a new piece to correct the problem.

Here is 2 videos if you have not seen them.

The Installed finished product on my car.

th_Sep052007-VID000011.jpg

Strength test on the product.

th_Oct062007-VID000012.jpg

Like our stripes, the clear bra materal is made out of Vinyl and needs to be treated in order to maintain the materal's integrity. Having said that, while you can apply car wax to the materal, the manufacturer recommends using Protectant 406 or Plexus plastic cleaner/protectant to keep the materal from fading (yellowing caused by UV light). And yes, you should apply the protectant of your choice onto your vinyl stripes too. I have just completed installing Clearbra (3M) on my SGT and I will also install it on my Super Snake after I get it back from SAI.

Paint lifting will only occur if the materal is installed before the paint has had a chance to cure.

I installed it on:

the leading edge of the hood,

the front bumper cover,

the grille surrounds,

the headlamps and turn signals,

front and rear splash guards (the areas just behind the front and rear wheels),

rocker panels

inner door sill panels (to prevent exit/entry scratches)

top of the rear bumper

the leading edges of the fake brake ducts.

Like our stripes, the clear bra materal is made out of Vinyl and needs to be treated in order to maintain the materal's integrity. Having said that, while you can apply car wax to the materal, the manufacturer recommends using Protectant 406 or Plexus plastic cleaner/protectant to keep the materal from fading (yellowing caused by UV light). And yes, you should apply the protectant of your choice onto your vinyl stripes too. I have just completed installing Clearbra (3M) on my SGT and I will also install it on my Super Snake after I get it back from SAI.

Paint lifting will only occur if the materal is installed before the paint has had a chance to cure.

I installed it on:

the front bumper cover,

the grille surrounds,

rocker panels

top of the rear bumper

Can you post pics of the treated SGT, please? Before and after, if available.

Thanks

Dan

I installed it on:

the front bumper cover,

the grille surrounds,

rocker panels

top of the rear bumper

How was this applied? Spray Gun or sheets? I spoke with Protint awhile back and they also make a product called "Quick Peel" that is used in Nascar to be applied before that decal the car. If they decide to remove the decal at a later date, you pull the protective coating off the original paint. It comes off in big sheets. I'm looking for something that can be taken off at a later date w/o messing with the paint. I just purchased a new RV and this has the 3M protection that cannot be removed. I think its more like a chip guard. I don't want this on my Shelby.

Thanks for all the help... Advise if anyone has used the Protint product. www.protint.com

Can you post pics of the treated SGT, please? Before and after, if available.

Thanks

Dan

Yes. I'll post a few in a couple of days after I have had a chance to take a few current pics of the car.

How was this applied? Spray Gun or sheets? I spoke with Protint awhile back and they also make a product called "Quick Peel" that is used in Nascar to be applied before that decal the car. If they decide to remove the decal at a later date, you pull the protective coating off the original paint. It comes off in big sheets. I'm looking for something that can be taken off at a later date w/o messing with the paint. I just purchased a new RV and this has the 3M protection that cannot be removed. I think its more like a chip guard. I don't want this on my Shelby.

Thanks for all the help... Advise if anyone has used the Protint product. www.protint.com

Peel and stick sheets, manufacturered by 3M. Pieces used were both freehand and computer pattern cut. Clean application surfaces with generious amounts of diluted Isopropil Alcohol, measure (twice), cut (the freehand pieces anyway), peel off backing materal, spray vast quantities of mild soapy water onto the application surface as well as both sides of the film, float the film until it's perfectly in place, then proceed to squeegee out the water until film has stuck. Do not wash car for 24 to 48 hours dependant on the ambant air tempature and sunlight.

I do not exactly know the product that's on your RV, but if I had to guess, it is the hot liquid vinyl coating that can normally be found on factory Aluminum Alloy wheels to protect their luster. If I'm correct, then you're right, that's the LAST stuff you want on your Shelby. The stuff I used can be peeled off whenever you like.

Archived