TEAM SHELBY FORUM

***S H E L B Y GT-H***

Super Snake

There is a guy at a place I go to work out of state

He drives his Hertz Black and Gold S H E L B Y GT-H every day rain or shine, ice and snow, salt and sand, the car is a mess.

I may be wrong but weren't there only 500 of these Hertz GT-H's made in 07?

What do you guy's think? Should I track him down and let him know what he has here, maybe suggest he at least garage it when the winter storms hit?

could be his only sorse of transportation but I'm not sure he knows he's driving a rare car

Just a thought

Lonnie we have a GT-H coming to the Show ... prob be the only one there .. i really want to compare it to the other SHELBYGT's

we got that and a few Ford GT super cars ... possibly a Ferrari ... and a Cobra 427 kit car ....

He drives his Hertz Black and Gold S H E L B Y GT-H every day rain or shine, ice and snow, salt and sand, the car is a mess.

What do you guy's think? Should I track him down and let him know what he has here, maybe suggest he at least garage it when the winter storms hit?

could be his only sorse of transportation but I'm not sure he knows he's driving a rare car

Just a thought

Yea, you should at least try to educate him, he could be totally clueless!

In a way it makes me smile....Mr. Happy go lucky zipping around in the GTH rain or shine......carefree....nothing bothers him.....just miles and miles of smiles.....

of course, I dont drive my car in rain/snow...its garaged.....but as the Winter carries on....I think about those smiles missed out on....while I keep my girl safely locked away.

we sold alot of these cars. most of them were going to be put up or just driven on nice days. the last one we sold( only one we sold in GA) was going to be used as his daily driver. he sales insurance and plans on putting on ton of miles on here. his money he can do what he wants i guess.

i agree with wicked, i dont think we can all have OCD and only look at them, got to have some folks mile them up and wreck them. Vintage cars only have a 20% survial rate. so 400 of these cars have to disappear over the next 30 years to keep the stats

michael morris

More power to him for driving it everyday. He'll probably rack up more miles on his one car than all the rest of us combined, but he gets to enjoy the ride that many more times as well! If I could drive mine every day, I would (I got stuck with the company Acura, though :( ).

Yeah how could he not know what he has? Personally, I drive mine in lots of rain and cold etc... if somebody tried to tell me to keep it in a garage it would be too much I would LMAO. And then do a donut. To each his own. I have friends who are of the keep it pristine crowd, and a friend who painted a brand new ZO6 flat black. Niether is right or wrong, but it's dudes car, just give him a thumbs up!

Just a thought

Just wanted to say that if it's a coupe it's an 06, of a vert, it's an 07, but both were limited to 500 units.

I can see this if it's his ONLY car. You stretch to grab your dream car and hope for the best vs. letting it pass and when you're able to afford two cars you can still find one.

But wait..as I type this..strike that!

You can't tell me that a guy that can buy that car can't afford a $1000 crap car for the winter that you donate to charity in April! No way. Forget it I'm with you! There is NO reason to treat that car that way! Sure you want to drive it! I have 7,000 miles on my SGT in 5 months before I put it away for the winter...I DRIVE! But I take care of it! It's cleaned and dusted, sometimes multiple times a day, and it's safe in the garage for the winter.

Why? So I CAN drive the hell out of it for MANY years. Treat a car to salt and sand year in and year out and soon it will be like every other 5-6 year old car on the road. You're not going to want to drive it anymore. That would be sad because a majority of the time you owned it you couldn't enjoy driving it! Most of your miles will be trying to keep that rear wheels from spinning in the snow and ice. Slowing down because you don't want to get into an accident, or worse you do! On the other hand you can have a blast in a nice looking car for many years on sun kissed roads across out great nation.

No...there is NO reason in this world of Craigslist and cheap cars out there for the taking, that anyone has to put a limited edition 500 run car at risk...

WINTER DRIVING?!?! JUST SAY NO!

"This message brought to you by the Shelby GT/H Preservation Society. When you care enough to drive the very best...Shelby GT/H"

When I first got my SGT, I planned on driving it daily. Then I mistakenly told all of my car show buddies about the car and that I was driving it to school, work, etc.. They all gave me so much $h*t for driving the car that I was upset enough to not drive it..

For a few months, I didn't drive the car.. ONLY BECAUSE OF OTHER PEOPLE's OPINIONS... how ridiculous! :hysterical2:

So, after realizing that I only want one car payment for the next four years or so, I realized that it is my car, and I will do what I want with it.. As far as the rain.. As long as the guy does a good job washing it and waxing it, the rain isn't going to ruin his car.. A good pressure washer and soap, and it's good as new.

There is a guy that lives a few miles from me with a red GT500.. I see that thing AT LEAST once a week.. The other day, after a recent storm, I saw the car going down the road covered in MUD! Because the car is rare should I tell him to stop driving it and put it away? :finger: NO.. I actually applaud him for that.. :dreamy:

So, give the guy a break. I don't plan on showing my car anytime soon.. Maybe in 20 or so years. For now, I drive it every day and take extra special care of it.. :D

Yeah how could he not know what he has? Personally, I drive mine in lots of rain and cold etc... if somebody tried to tell me to keep it in a garage it would be too much I would LMAO. And then do a donut. To each his own. I have friends who are of the keep it pristine crowd, and a friend who painted a brand new ZO6 flat black. Niether is right or wrong, but it's dudes car, just give him a thumbs up!

+10000000

:woot:

Just wanted to say that if it's a coupe it's an 06, of a vert, it's an 07, but both were limited to 500 units.

I can see this if it's his ONLY car. You stretch to grab your dream car and hope for the best vs. letting it pass and when you're able to afford two cars you can still find one.

But wait..as I type this..strike that!

You can't tell me that a guy that can buy that car can't afford a $1000 crap car for the winter that you donate to charity in April! No way. Forget it I'm with you! There is NO reason to treat that car that way! Sure you want to drive it! I have 7,000 miles on my SGT in 5 months before I put it away for the winter...I DRIVE! But I take care of it! It's cleaned and dusted, sometimes multiple times a day, and it's safe in the garage for the winter.

Why? So I CAN drive the hell out of it for MANY years. Treat a car to salt and sand year in and year out and soon it will be like every other 5-6 year old car on the road. You're not going to want to drive it anymore. That would be sad because a majority of the time you owned it you couldn't enjoy driving it! Most of your miles will be trying to keep that rear wheels from spinning in the snow and ice. Slowing down because you don't want to get into an accident, or worse you do! On the other hand you can have a blast in a nice looking car for many years on sun kissed roads across out great nation.

No...there is NO reason in this world of Craigslist and cheap cars out there for the taking, that anyone has to put a limited edition 500 run car at risk...

WINTER DRIVING?!?! JUST SAY NO!

"This message brought to you by the Shelby GT/H Preservation Society. When you care enough to drive the very best...Shelby GT/H"

It's a coupe so it's an 06 I guess

All good points, I will track him down on my next trip just to chat

So, give the guy a break. I don't plan on showing my car anytime soon.. Maybe in 20 or so years. For now, I drive it every day and take extra special care of it.. :D

This is not about "showing the car" nor is it about not driving it. As I said I drive mine A LOT and yes, even in rain and while I TOTALLY agree with you someone can do what they want with their car...I do question why someone would by a car that,well...as a "car" a "daily driver car" there are A LOT better vehicles to be had for $35K! Cars a lot better optioned, a lot better handling in all weather. So if this person is like me, they bought it for the look, the thrill, the history, etc. Why then would you beat on the car driving in snow, ice, salt, dirt, etc. things that will take away from what was good about the car and only exasperating that which is bad? Seems strange and for the car very sad.

But, it is his car, and if he chooses to buy it and run it into the ground, that's his choice! Sad in the sense that there are plenty of others that do care more about owning the car that would have ensured it many years of thrilling and fun driving.

Maybe he just got the car and doesn't like looking at it! :hysterical2: I wouldn't drive mine in the snow not because of the salt and sand but because I don't want to try and drive it in bad weather. I use mine as a DD and its gonna get used. I don't ever want to show mine, just drive it and enjoy. Thankfully I live down south so there's nothing to contend with. When my Challenger shows up that'll be my new DD. There are much better cars for daily use, but none of those are this much fun! :happy feet:

No joke . . . I didn't buy the car to diaper, I bought it BECAUSE it is a fun ride and BECAUSE I want to be able to enjoy it as much as I can (I don't, but if I lived down South, I would drive it everyday). The nice thing is that there are enough owners whose primary focus is preservation and showing the cars at shows, no harm done if there are a handful of daily drivers or higher mileage "survivors." Besides, someday y'all might need a good source of original parts. :)

About 10 years ago I start a 1968 mustang project card just to have something to play with. Today and after $20,000.00, it is a show car that has 3K on it in 10 years. Beautiful car. Stays garaged and in storage most of the time. In November I bought a 2008 Shelby GT Coupe, and promised myself, this one is mine, and I will drive it. I drive it everyday to work. I drive in traffic, in the rain, and in the sunshine. This car looks good no matter what. I have experienced having something I always wanted, but don't drive, and I bought my Shelby to enjoy. Sorry, guys, the next owner will know, there are a lot of memories in this car.

It's great to see that some here actually bought their Shelby's to enjoy, to drive rather than just being garage queens. There is a lot more value in a Shelby GT than just how much money it will bring when you get ready to sell it. I'd rather not drive mine when it rains, but hey, I can say the same about my Tundra too. If it's clean I'd rather not get it dirty but...best I can tell, it'll clean up nicely. Drive it, enjoy it, get it dirty, clean it up and enjoy doing that too :happy feet:

Jim

Whoa, hold on, back up!

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT GARAGE QUEEN?????

Let me say again, my SGT is a DD, 7500 miles in 5 months. So we can put that to rest please?

What we are talking about here is snow, ice, salt, and sand. A rear wheel drive, hi torque car is a BAD (in the ditch) combination. That is my point. You're taking the chance of doing serious damage to a 1 of 500 car. IMHO!

I don't think this has anything to do with enjoying the car, driving till you drop etc., this is about common sense. Debate the rational for not driving a rear wheel drive sport coupe in the snow if you want but don't turn this into a "Garage Queen" thread because I don't think anyone has advocated that. I too want some guy 40 years from now cursing my name because I put all kinds of miles on my car so you'll get no argument from me on that!

Those that have posted that they don't have to deal with the snow consider yourselves lucky. We've had 74 inches so far and I can tell you based upon my 4WD Escape performance, the SGT would have had serious issues!

-jeff

I think some people here are over reacting a little. I'm sure he knows what he purchased and chooses to drive it. Remember, it is still just a car and they are ment to be driven. I own 4 toy cars and none of them get driven more than 1,000 miles per year. I've owned my GT-H since the 9/07 and haven't racked up 300 miles yet. But that is what I choose to do.

Bryan

I also bought mine to drive. But...

If a bunch of you (like 6000) would get your SGT's all salted and rusty in a few years, what might mine be worth...? :idea::headscratch:

:happy feet:

Dan

ok, here's the ultimate story. Remember the 1987 Buick GNX, only 547 were made and there are conssidered the ultimate Buick Grand National. Well, the owner of #107 bought it new and drove it everyday in New York (Long Island) and put on 180,000 miles as of 2006. A few years ago you could have bought a like new with less than 1,000 mile GNX for under $50k. I bought #107 last year for upper $20's and I just sold #107 for $35,000 and it needed a total restoration on the body as it had lower rust on every body part. Yes, the car ran fine as the engine had been rebuilt prior to me buying the car, but with prestine examples going for over $100k and average ones with 40k miles going for over $70k, $35k is a bargain for a real GNX these days. They have been out over 20 years now and between 20 and 25 years that values seem to jump alot. Take a HEMI cuda, once restored does it really matter how many miles it has?

I give the GNX guy a lot of credit for driving this ultimate car of the 80's everyday, you cant put a price on driving pleasure and in the end, he still did not do too bad on the resale.

I bought GT-H #135 on January 21st and it had 9,850 miles on it. I have put about 300 miles on it and cracked the 10,000 mile mark. I bought the car to be my DD on great days (anything without snow or ice). But I also drive my Harley Davidson F-150 when I feel like it.

These cars were rental cars and were driven in all kinds of weather so I don't feel bad about driving them in the rain. Steve Saleen once said that I don't build cars for collectors, I build cars for enthusiasts to drive. I try to follow that philosophy with the cars that I have. I am grateful to have choices.

i owned a 69 camaro convert for years and drove it every day it went for to restors,now i own a porsche and a gth i plan on driving both till the tires fall off then do a total restor and drive it again ,IF I WANTED TO LOOK AT ONE I WOUL HAVE BOUGHT A PICTURE,DRIVE THESE CARS THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE BUILT FOR

is that the.."I make ridiculously expensive but only moderately ugly Corvettes"...Steve Saleen?

I saw a Corvette of his in Automobile mag, it was like 196k and butt-ugly.

You're pulling my leg right? Steve has done Mustangs, Rangers, Explorers, Focus', and S7's but I have not ever heard of a him building a General Motors Car!

Unfortunately he needed to take on business partners when he partnered with Ford to manufacture the Ford GT and eventually lost control of Saleen Incorporated. He's now the CEO for a Chinese auto company trying to establish itself in the good ole US of A.

• 2 years later...

[i agree ......................left is short..............let the next guy worry about it...................I own a 2006 heritage one of 800 made.....2006 65th Anv. Jeep everyday working car.... and a GTH show car...enjoy my toys all I can....because I can't take them with me when it is time to go home

i owned a 69 camaro convert for years and drove it every day it went for to restors,now i own a porsche and a gth i plan on driving both till the tires fall off then do a total restor and drive it again ,IF I WANTED TO LOOK AT ONE I WOUL HAVE BOUGHT A PICTURE,DRIVE THESE CARS THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE BUILT FOR

Telling ANYONE what to do with their car is in poor taste.

What's next, telling people not to track their cars because they risk damaging their "rare", "special", "investment" vehicle?

There's a point at which OUR love of all things Shelby can go too far. It's a car. He drives it. He'll wash it when he wants to.

Just MY 2 cents.

Jer

Well, snow and salt are finally here in Chicago, and I still driving mine daily. Just put some snow tires back on, and really no problems with traction. Lots of rear wheel drive cars here in Chicago (BMWs, Trucks, SUV, etc). I bought her to drive - figured it was a rental car, so why not enjoy its coolness year round?

I can always restore it later if I want a trailer queen. I already have two of those I restored - a 66 mustang convertible, and a 36 ford traditional hot rod chopped 6 inches and channeled 7 inches - 3 inches off the ground - pulled the all original out of a farm field (if that rust bucket can be brought back to life, then anything can...).

I take good care of my GTH - wash it once a week to keep the salt down. No problems. I can look at my other cars in the garage - this one I love driving :) Casey

Archived