TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How is everyone breaking their car in?

tiger mark2

I have 300 miles on my car. I haven't redlined the car yet but I have gone up to 5000 RPM several times in 2nd and 3rd gear. As you know it is so tempting to want to stay on this baby.

My plan is to not drive it softly but keep the RPM's under 5000 until I hit 1000 miles. I plan an oil change at 1000 miles.

I haven't even come close to hole shot yet in fact I have'nt even removed the traction control The car has enough guts to make this sissy driving boring :bandance:

I know this is hard to believe but i haven't opened my owners manual yet. I am trying to receive a second set from the dealer first to keep mine in tact.

I ordered a car cover from Beverly Hills at $279. I did receive some advice on treating the brakes early on.

Any suggestions?

After reading a various posts here and googling around, I'm planning on breaking her in along the lines recommended here:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It goes against every thing I believed about breaking in engines, but most of what I "know" about the topic came from back in the day. Things are different now.

If you search here you'll find more information and links.

After reading a various posts here and googling around, I'm planning on breaking her in along the lines recommended here:

It goes against every thing I believed about breaking in engines, but most of what I "know" about the topic came from back in the day. Things are different now.

:happy feet: :happy feet: At the bottom on the right side is the best part!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

I will drive mine like I stole it and change the oil when I get home, If I can find it (5W-50W) !!!!!

Nice link! Tks Fred

PS I LIKE BEER!

Is motorcycle break-in the same as for cars?

It is important to understand what is being said on the web site. High RPM is not what is important, but is rather load/packing of the cylinders. You have a short period of time before the new, relatively sharp edges of the piston rings start rounding. You want to have the maximum pressure forcing the rings out, to take care of any slight imperfections in the cylinder walls. Kind of like dogging the car around town, but with frequent bursts of gas and acceleration without high RPMs. Probably the kind of fun we all want to do anyway. You don't need high speed or high RPMs

Guest evilchris

Let me know when and where so I can be sure I'm far enough away to not get hit by flying engine parts. :poke:

Won't hurt it one bit.

Hi Rod,like I don't get enough questions fromyou already.Breakin in your car is minor,tolarances are tight and pistons are press fitted you don't need a big break in.The main thing is a good 3 minute warm up,remember a car warms up faster in 3 blocks than 15 minutes in your driveway.Remember the car has an eec5 computer system which is a learning computer it takes 20 starts to program your own driving habits or style.The computer will automatically advance the timing if you drive hard or retard it for a fuel saving GRANDMA.The best you can do is warm up 3 or so minutes hit it about a mile or so down the road when your temp reads normal.Don't baby the car it's a race car in every sense of the word.If you miss a shift in the g-force mode don't worry the engine will starve for fuel and the rev limiter will save your but.In a regular Mustang it will cut out as well from past experience,don't tell the Boss LOL.I also suggest 10,000 kms before you start to think of a good synthetic.I don't believe in an early oil dump,say 1000 kms.I believe the first oil in the car has an additive for break in.I recomend 10000 kms to change to a synthetic,re 5000 kms oil changes.Take care your SVT Guy Scottscottstreet54@hotmail.com

Archived