TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shutting the Hood

I thank all for the help on the notchy shifter and here goes problem #2. When closing the hood I carefully line up the pins and have little distance to shut it hard. Well after a quick run I noticed that there was pressure on the pins as the hood went to open and was stopped by them. Question is canyou simply close the hood dropping it from a distance or carefully place it at the begining of the pins and hope for the best. The dealer says he can unscrew the pins a bit for distance but I doubt it will help. Any ideas would be a great help concerning adjustment or whatever works.

I thank all for the help on the notchy shifter and here goes problem #2. When closing the hood I carefully line up the pins and have little distance to shut it hard. Well after a quick run I noticed that there was pressure on the pins as the hood went to open and was stopped by them. Question is canyou simply close the hood dropping it from a distance or carefully place it at the begining of the pins and hope for the best. The dealer says he can unscrew the pins a bit for distance but I doubt it will help. Any ideas would be a great help concerning adjustment or whatever works.

I would not drop the hood from a distance b/c you run the risk of the hood holes missing the hood pins, then you hood is toast. I close my hood by making sure that the hood pins are in the holes in the hood, then gently pushing down on the front of the hood (at the lip) at the two outer hood "body" lines. This is probably the strongest part of the hood.

You can try adjusting the hood pin height also. If you have room that will allow clip placement. Changing the height of the pins effects how the hood slides over them because of the radius that the holes in the hood travel through opening and closing. I tried adjusting mine to give a better fit for the clips and discovered that caused a change it the hood sliding over the pins.

I noticed that there was pressure on the pins as the hood went to open and was stopped by them.

You should of had a large red tag attached to the center console that warned you not to pull the hood release until you have removed the hood pins.

But the dealer didn't always install the tag.....It wasn't on my car.... :angry2:

altopcat it sounds like your hood is closing, but not quite all the way. I noticed that when my Shelby GT was new that would happen to me, it would be latched, but there would still be pressure on the hood pins.

I now basically shut it as hard as I can once I've gotten clearance through the pins and it works better

Lower the hood onto the pins and the first latch, then push down on the center front area of the hood that's right over the latch assembly. Push down with some verve to insure that the primary latch takes hole of the striker rod.

But as stated by others here, DON'T drop the hood onto the pins.

my pins didn't line up properly when I got mine home but didn't worry too much as I knew I was going to replace with the "SHELBY" pins. When I did replace I noticed that the pins were too perpindicular to the hood meaning the angle of the pins were too straight up and down compared to the angle of the hood surface. Easy fix, just place the back of your palm on the front lip of the bracket that holds the pin in place and gently apply pressure which bends the bracket down. This fixed the angle alignment and I have had no problems since. I release the hood about a foot high and it latches perfect each and every time. Craig

You should of had a large red tag attached to the center console that warned you not to pull the hood release until you have removed the hood pins.

But the dealer didn't always install the tag.....It wasn't on my car.... :angry2:

from what i've seen, the first 5 or 6 we received didn't have the warning. the last 10 or so had the warning. I guess SAI added it mid-way through the S-GT release. I was even putting the hood warnings onto the hood release itself, to no avail, neither other salespeople, nor customers read them anyways :(

I did accidently pop the hood with my billet pins in. No damage whatsoever. Those news pins are tough as nails. The old ones were like foil ! :banghead:

I always drop mine from a foot or so up, i dont know why the pins would hit the hood. not any slop in my hinges.

my .02

I would not drop the hood from a distance b/c you run the risk of the hood holes missing the hood pins, then you hood is toast. I close my hood by making sure that the hood pins are in the holes in the hood, then gently pushing down on the front of the hood (at the lip) at the two outer hood "body" lines. This is probably the strongest part of the hood.

+1

I also drop my hood from about a foot high in order for it to close fully. If they pins do not hitt when you close it slowly how could they hit when you close it from a foot high? I guess you can never be to careful, but I still am not sure how the pins could damage the hood if it is lined up correctly.

I also drop my hood from about a foot high in order for it to close fully. If they pins do not hitt when you close it slowly how could they hit when you close it from a foot high? I guess you can never be to careful, but I still am not sure how the pins could damage the hood if it is lined up correctly.

Newton's Third Law of Motion and given that F=MA, if there is any slop with your hood hinges, and the pin misses the hole, it will hit the double panel under the hood. More than likely with all that force, you would have a nice inverted dent in your hood. The pin/hole alignment is too close for me to drop my hood.

I use to drop my hood on my 06 GT, but it didn't have hood pins.

JMHO

Like others, I always "slam" my hood shut from about a foot... I've done this for almost a year, at least every other week..

Regardless though, I don't think that raising the height of your pins will make a big difference.. I would try bending them, or at least the brackets...

That's what I would do in this situation..

Add me to the list of people who drop the hood at about a foot. To be honest I never really thought too much about it. I just figured that it was a Shelby and it would work fine. So far it has and I have had no problems at all. -That being said, I think I might slow down a bit and try the push the nose down method just to be safe. That's one thing I really like about the forums: you learn something new every day no matter how small or trivial. LOL

Add me to the list of people who drop the hood at about a foot. To be honest I never really thought too much about it. I just figured that it was a Shelby and it would work fine. So far it has and I have had no problems at all. -That being said, I think I might slow down a bit and try the push the nose down method just to be safe. That's one thing I really like about the forums: you learn something new every day no matter how small or trivial. LOL

be careful pressing down on a hood (especially aluminum panel)

more dents from pressing than just dropping, cant imagine the pins hitting if they are lined up ok to begin with.

I haven't even had mine for 2 weeks yet, but I'm glad to read this. I did not even cross my mind. At least I know to be careful what ever I do.

How tightly should the clip pins fit? Mine are very lose and have even slipped out of the holes while driving. I have thought about adjusting the hood pins slightly lower to put a little tension on the clips but I don't want to create any wear problems. How tight should the clips fit?

• 3 weeks later...
i would rather drop it than to continually mash down on the aluminum hood.sooner or later you will get a crease in your hood to match your scoop.hey not a bad idea.

This is the first Mustang I have owned where I did not have to drop the hood for it to close - maybe this one has a design flaw! :-) All it takes is a gentle push on the hood to secure it - certainly I do not have to "mash down" on it. The hood is firmly down on the front bump stops, and the front edge doesn't move noticably while moving so I know it is secure.

Archived