TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby GT Shifter

Mine is the same way, I think it has alot to do with the short throw shifter Hurst package.

After comparing the CS Mustang to the Shelby we purchased the Shelby. The problem is that the shifter seems to be stiff and notchy and not a smooth as a stock Mustang. Do I have a problem or is the nature of this shifter?

It is the nature of the shifter and, IMHO, it is a vast improvement over the stock shifter. Does it take some getting used to? Absolutely. The Hurst linkage is from days of old and it was the first option I put on my 1966 fastback Mustang (in 1966). Ask the people who have run SGTs on the road course or the drag strip and you will, likely, get across the board approval of the Hurst setup. When I ran my car in Las Vegas at the Birthday Bash, the linkage was flawless. Particularly on the drag strip, where a missed shift could cost you an engine (at least in the days before a rev limiter), it was spot on. Bottom line, you have to put some energy into shifting it but that just takes some getting used to. What may be seen as smooth in a stock set up (and it really is smooth in non-performance driving) can be viewed as sloppy during performance driving. Stick with it and see if it becomes more natural. My two cents. BTW, excellent choice you made between the two cars. Jim

After comparing the CS Mustang to the Shelby we purchased the Shelby. The problem is that the shifter seems to be stiff and notchy and not a smooth as a stock Mustang. Do I have a problem or is the nature of this shifter?

I love the way the shifter is even under normal driving. It feels like putting a round into the chamber of a "bolt action rifle".

I love the way the shifter is even under normal driving. It feels like putting a round into the chamber of a "bolt action rifle".

That's a great way of putting it!

Mine is the same way, and I will admit that I've been a little unsure about the Hurst shifter with respect to performance driving, but I suppose like anything one can get used to it. I raced BMW's in SCCA on and off for 10 year, they shifted both smoothly and quickly and I never missed a shift.

I had my stock shifter replaced with the Hurst when I had my blower installed. WOW, what a difference it made! The shifts were short, exact and perfect...No missed shifts...You will love it!

I fell in love with the Shelby GT when it came out, of course it was WHITE. Then I test drove the car and hated it! The shifter was not only notchy but did not appear to be spring loaded. The shifter was enough to make me pass on the car. But I still couldn't get that WHITE SGT out of my mind so I test drove another one and the shifter was perfect. You may have just found one of the few bad shifters out there. It seems to improve with use but the extra effort, while smooth, is perfection!!!!!

Hurst was the best in the '60s, and it's still the best today. Takes some seat time to get used to it, but it's positive and sure. I've taught 3 people (all twenty-somethings that never saw a manual tranny before) to drive on my SGT/Hurst, and none of them complained. Of course, they had little to compare with, but I think I spoiled them for life.

If you don't have any spring action in the neutral gate, get it checked out. That's not right.

I installed a B&M ripper in my 94 Cobra and loved it. When I bought the SGT I was expecting the same kind of action out of the Hurst but it was much harder. I didn't like it at first but after about 500 miles it loosened up a bit and was perfect. Now I much prefer the Hurst over the B&M.

I like the Hurst shifter's "bolt action rifle" feel, "snick" sound, and short throw, but mine has a tricky shift from 2nd to 3rd, and the stick SEEMS to have a self-centering spring, just not a very strong one, hence 2-3 is tough. I've actually been wanting to try a Steeda TriAx shifter, but I want to feel it in a car before I go messing with mine. I think there's a Steeda dealer near me with a Q335 (?) in stock... The centering spring strength seems to be a feature they tout with the TriAx. Only downside: I don't like the look of it, even if I change the ball.

Jer

Man this shifter rattling is about to drive me crazy. I've tighted up the top nut and two lower bolts on the shifter beyond torque specs I'm sure, but it continues to rattle when I punch it(and only when I punch it). I love the shifter and it looks awesome, but this is the only rattle in the car and about to drive me crazy.

Anybody got any ideas what might be causing this? I will eventually replace the thing if I can't find a way to stop rattling!! :banghead:

Man this shifter rattling is about to drive me crazy. I've tighted up the top nut and two lower bolts on the shifter beyond torque specs I'm sure, but it continues to rattle when I punch it(and only when I punch it). I love the shifter and it looks awesome, but this is the only rattle in the car and about to drive me crazy.

Anybody got any ideas what might be causing this? I will eventually replace the thing if I can't find a way to stop rattling!! :banghead:

Make sure the bolts securing the shifter to the transmission are tight. I had this problem with my 94 Cobra and it turned out to be loose bolts on the mounting plate.

Archived