TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bullitt Intake elbow

Does anyone know (dealers feel free to chime in)-is the smoother CAI intake elbow for the '08 Bullitt available to be purchased as a replacement for the convoluted thing we have as a part of our package?

I don't know about the Bullit one but you can buy a smooth elbow from Steeda.

The Bullit elbow looks no better, but what is better is the air box setup on the Bullit. It seals against the hood insulation and draws air from the front of the car, rather than the fender. I read somewhere (either Muscle Mustangs or Motor Trend) that the intake air is much cooler with that setup. So, it seems to me that the ideal CAI combo would be a Bullit air box (assuming it fits our 90MM MAF or can be modified) and Steeda (or similar) elbow, along with a proper tune of course.

Does anyone know (dealers feel free to chime in)-is the smoother CAI intake elbow for the '08 Bullitt available to be purchased as a replacement for the convoluted thing we have as a part of our package?

I see this as a sign that your should supercharge your car, because, with the S/C, you get a new elbow. :lol: Jim

The Bullit elbow looks no better, but what is better is the air box setup on the Bullit. It seals against the hood insulation and draws air from the front of the car, rather than the fender. I read somewhere (either Muscle Mustangs or Motor Trend) that the intake air is much cooler with that setup. So, it seems to me that the ideal CAI combo would be a Bullit air box (assuming it fits our 90MM MAF or can be modified) and Steeda (or similar) elbow, along with a proper tune of course.

I agree Ilmor. Far superior air box design. Don't know about the elbow though.

I'm thinking about the Steeda elbow, maybe the black plastic, but I really like the carbon fiber one! Has anyone installed just this elbow?

I note Steeda specifies even just the elbow requires a new tune - could this be done at a dealership, or is that asking to much of them!?

SEF

AKA:

If you are just replacing the elbow alone, a tune is not required. The elbow reduces turbulence, nothing more. It does not add any new, or, colder air to the mix, and the changes (if any are noted) are well within the parameters of the EEC to flex into them. All you need to do is disconnect the battery while you do the install, and once done, and follow that with a few "on-ramp" pulls into WOT. Don't expect too much change, but you will run better.

Installing a whole cold air kit with larger MAF? Like for a stock Mustang GT? Yes, a retune would deliver maximum performance and it would be a waste of money not to retune.

I don't know why folks say it fits better, my SGT has left an imprint in the hood liner from the SAI/FRP kit. Can get much closer than that. Besides, immediately after the filter and before the MAF, there a 90 degree bend that prolly spends any hard gains. By the time any new/fresh air actually get to the throttle body, it's lost 30 percent of its efficiency.

I agree with Jim Clark ^ there...Save your nickles and dimes on the small stuff and put a Paxton on it. Even at conservative PSI, it's going to kick azz.

Here is what I did. Had a new tune and changed the elbow,got the steeda. When they where putting the tune in my SCT tuner they ask me if I changed the elbow. It does change the air flow some and with that you can add a little more fuel. I just know that the car runs so much better.

For a few months we had the bullitt cold air kit at our plant. I worked on some tooling for it. It is a very nice piece but the angle at which the MAF is positioned is different than ours. I was not able to do a direct side by side comparison of the two but I think it would flow worse if you got the tube to fit. I feel the seal around the whole piece is better than ours. The whole kit will be offered through Ford Racing but I feel you would get more bang for the buck if you just change the elbow to one all ready mentioned. Better yet, buy a Bren speed tune or something similar.

OK,Did a side by side comparison of an 08 SGT and Bullitt.Elbow on Bullitt is at a completely different angle,Not going to work,let alone the fact that the MAF looks completely different.The Bullitt CAI would be a nice upgrade for a stock GT based on the fact that it seals better but I gotta tell ya that the angles of entry don't look conducive to any real performance gains.Aftermarket for you standard GT owners and Steeda elbow or S/C for you Shelby GT owners,Sorry.Would have removed and done some measuring but my Ford dealer is not that friendly!

I have ordered the Steeda intake airflow in Carbon Fiber today! Love the way it looks, and hopefully I may be able to feel a bit extra pull. I already have the SCT Tuner and custom SGT tunes from Brenspeed. I talked to them about the elbow and they say I don't need a new tune specifically for the new intake elbow.

I will post pics and let you know about the install as soon as I get it. I also just bought the Shelby 4.6 engine dress up kit...can't wait to put it all in.

Archived