TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Billet Hood Pin Kit

I know that this has been covered before, but I wanted get a consensus on the best way to install the Shelby billet hood pin kit.

1. Should I use most of the original parts; i.e. metal brackets, stainless steel pins, lynch pins, and lanyards, and just replace the ss plates with the new billet plates, poron seal, delrin bushings, and new screw for billet plates?

2. Or, should I just replace everything? I am trying to avoid some of the pain some of you went through in terms of making the holes larger in the hood and bending the pins.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Hey there !

Replace everything ! I think you have to for the right fit.

You are more than welcome to call , and my hubby will tell you what all he had to do.

Is your hood the original hood? That will make a difference. We can't help you with that if it isn't orignal. But if it is, I will pm you our number.

Sue

Hey there !

Replace everything ! I think you have to for the right fit.

You are more than welcome to call , and my hubby will tell you what all he had to do.

Is your hood the original hood? That will make a difference. We can't help you with that if it isn't orignal. But if it is, I will pm you our number.

Sue

Thanks Sue! I have the original Mustang hood. I may take you up on the call, if I get stuck. Did you hubby have to do any grinding of the hood holes?

Replace everything and just take your time. Everything should fit just fine, you might have to bend the stems that the pins go in forward alittle but thats about all the tweaking you'll have to do. What I did with the hood pins and stems was to make it a snug fit, just alittle tension from the hood to hold the pins snug. When you want to take them out you have to push down on the hood ever so gently to release the tension. This keeps them (pins) from flopping around while driving. I drlled out the laynards that hold your pins and just pop-riveted the new ones in.

Replace everything and just take your time. Everything should fit just fine, you might have to bend the stems that the pins go in forward alittle but thats about all the tweaking you'll have to do. What I did with the hood pins and stems was to make it a snug fit, just alittle tension from the hood to hold the pins snug. When you want to take them out you have to push down on the hood ever so gently to release the tension. This keeps them (pins) from flopping around while driving. I drlled out the laynards that hold your pins and just pop-riveted the new ones in.

Another vote for changing everything. I was hesitant at first but the metal brackets that come with the billett set are a different length than stock due to the thickness of the billett plates. Once you accept the fact that you need to take a rasp file to your hood :hysterical: all is good. Just take your time. I followed stormeaston's method of adjusting the stem height so there is just a little pressure on the pins when installed. It really makes for a nice tight install. Just take your time.

Jim

Thanks for all your help, the intallation went fine. I didn't have to file the holes too much.

One question though, should the pins fit perfectly into the plate channel, and lay flat? My pins lay flat into the plate channel about 2/3 of the channel, but 1/3 of the pin does not sit flat. It's rasied maybe 1/8". This could be b/c of the contour of the hood, but I'm not a 100% sure.

Some tweaking of the bracket, side to side would fix that. Glad everything went well. They do look great and are a big improvement over the stockers.

Thanks Roger!

I don't see how the lynch pin would ever sit completely flat in the slot of the billet plate , b/c the hood pin slot will always be higher on one side of the hood pin b/c the hood is angled, therefore the hood pin hole would not be completely perpendicular to the slot in the billet plate. The hood pin hole should be drilled at the same angle as the slope in the hood, instead of at 90 degrees. The slope of the hood, where the hood pin protrudes from the sheet metal, is about 8 degrees.

Were you able to get yours to lay flat? Is the position of lynch pin in the picture normal?

post-9169-1202354350_thumb.jpg

post-9169-1202365068_thumb.jpg

post-9169-1202354350_thumb.jpg

post-9169-1202365068_thumb.jpg

Thanks Roger!

I don't see how the lynch pin would ever sit completely flat in the slot of the billet plate , b/c the hood pin slot will always be higher on one side of the hood pin b/c the hood is angled, therefore the hood pin hole would not be completely perpendicular to the slot in the billet plate. The slope of the hood, where the hood pin protrudes from the sheet metal, is about 8 degrees.

Were you able to get yours to lay flat?

Mike I sent you a pm

Sue

Thanks Roger!

I don't see how the lynch pin would ever sit completely flat in the slot of the billet plate , b/c the hood pin slot will always be higher on one side of the hood pin b/c the hood is angled, therefore the hood pin hole would not be completely perpendicular to the slot in the billet plate. The hood pin hole should be drilled at the same angle as the slope in the hood, instead of at 90 degrees. The slope of the hood, where the hood pin protrudes from the sheet metal, is about 8 degrees.

Were you able to get yours to lay flat?

It is possible to get em to lay flat. I bent the bracket/s ever so slightly,and then checked the hood in closed position. If I recall,I must of opened/closed the hood 30 times,till I was satisfied with the results. The last adjustment is the height of the post,which is easy to do.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

It is possible to get em to lay flat. I bent the bracket/s ever so slightly,and then checked the hood in closed position. If I recall,I must of opened/closed the hood 30 times,till I was satisfied with the results. The last adjustment is the height of the post,which is easy to do.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Thanks!

I tried tweaking, but there only so much room within the plate hole where you can move the hood pin. The max is about 1/4" in all directions. If the hood pin hole was drilled at the same angle as the hood slope, then there would be no problem. Moreover, I am stuck b/c the plate alignment is fixed, b/c of the existing 4 plate holes.

I just may leave it as is. The lynch pin sits flat about 2/3 of the way, but then lifts up abput 1/4", b/c of the slope.

Some tweaking of the bracket, side to side would fix that. Glad everything went well. They do look great and are a big improvement over the stockers.

Thanks Roger!

Were you able to get yours to lay flat? Is the position of lynch pin in the picture normal?

post-9169-1202365178_thumb.jpg

Maybe the way my lynch pint fits is not too bad. Here is a picture of a 08 hood pin, and it's way off!

post-9169-1202361313_thumb.jpg

post-9169-1202361313_thumb.jpg

post-9169-1202365178_thumb.jpg

I have also installed the billet hood pins, and mine lay about like yours do mffarrell. I keep meaning to go try and adjust it more--but then everytime I sit behind the wheel to pop the hood--I cant stop myself from turning the key and taking her for a drive.

:happy feet:

Archived