TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sgt is entry level Shelby?

sudden

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boy with the madness of the prices on KRs at 200 grand , and ADMs on the GT500, it seem like we have the low budget gt that Shelby has to offer. We are like the little nice house on the mansion block. Sudden.

All of the cars you've listed above address different segments of the market and not just with different price points though that is an important attribute. The SGT has a unique look that is more reminiscent of the Shelby's of yesteryear. The target market is those of us wanting more than a typical GT in handling, looks, and performance, but don't have a need for 450+ hp or the price that goes along with it. It's also a scaleable solution in that it provides a great foundation from which a customer can create, though the addition of modifications such as larger breaks, supercharger, and the like, something unique to them regardless of the price.

While I have heard terms like "baby Shelby" in the past I think it does the car a disservice and attempts to place the car into a simple pricing segmentation when that's just not the case.

-jeff

Boy with the madness of the prices on KRs at 200 grand , and ADMs on the GT500, it seem like we have the low budget gt that Shelby has to offer. We are like the little nice house on the mansion block. Sudden.

I never thought about it the way you decribed. I went looking for a "V8" Mustang. I first thought color and the interior, were my main goal. I took a glance at the GT500 in the showroom floor. It was beautiful. But, I live in a area that I did not think I would be using a supercharged car very much. I wanted a car that can offer better gas milage, and is unique enough that I can be a little seperated from the rest of the beautiful mustangs that I see.

The salesman showed me the Shelby GT after I test drove a Roush stage II. I fell in love with it the second I saw it. It truely wasnt the money that made or swayed my decision. It was truely the car and package it offered. So I suppose I never thought of it being the low end Shelby. I add things to my car in my garage, and it makes me happy. I think that is the main reason I purchased my car, was just my happiness it brought me. Plus it does look sweet.

Good topic though.

When I accellerate off a corner at rpm in 2nd, grab 3rd and go...

It doesn't feel like a "settle for"

This car makes my heart beat nicely and turns a LOT of heads, especially mine. :headspin:

I find myself looking at the car in my garage when the weathers bad and I haven't driven it in a few days. :waiting:

Dan

I was getting my oil changed @ the Ford dealer( FREE) the other day , 3000 miles sure adds up fast. Well i needed to kill some time so i walked around the show room. They had 3 GT500,s 1SGT and a Jones car.The GT500 sits to high and the exhaust is out of sight, too small. The grille reminds me of a fish compared to the SGT. The rear of the car with the spoiler looks more sedan then sports car ' it's just way to high. Well after living with the SGT for 8 months that's my 2 cent's about the difference. I think All shelby's need to go to Las Vegas to get that certain look.

I was getting my oil changed @ the Ford dealer( FREE) the other day , 3000 miles sure adds up fast. Well i needed to kill some time so i walked around the show room. They had 3 GT500,s 1SGT and a Jones car.The GT500 sits to high and the exhaust is out of sight, too small. The grille reminds me of a fish compared to the SGT. The rear of the car with the spoiler looks more sedan then sports car ' it's just way to high. Well after living with the SGT for 8 months that's my 2 cent's about the difference. I think All shelby's need to go to Las Vegas to get that certain look.

Uh oh... :poke::stirpot:

Uh oh... :poke::stirpot:

Well why does Ford have to build sports type cars that don't look like sports cars. The wheel wells look way to large for the tires. Look @ a Porsche, BMW, G35 evan a vette and i could go on a long list here. I take that back about the grille however that's just a styling thing.

I don't know.. Weren't you talking about how collectible they are they other day? :hysterical:

Regardless of another one of your opinions, the primary reason for buying my car was the fact that it is modified "out of the box:" lowered, CAI, tune, stripes, WARRANTY, etc. The fact that it is a Shelby, a "low-end" one at that, came SECOND..

So, because I am now stuck with my collectible, low-end Shelby, here are the reasons why I opted not for the GT500:

*I bought my car to replace my DAILY DRIVER- why do I need 500 hp on a daily basis?

*Age- I'm only 22. It's bad enough that old farts are jealous of my SGT, let alone a 500.

*Insurance- too much more for the 500 compared to the '04 GT I traded.

*Looks: Yes, the 500's are badass, but come on guys, they REALLY need to be lowered!

*Price- yes, guys are saying you can get them for MSRP, but good luck.

So, I will get off now.. :soapbox:

Just my outlook on things.

Well why does Ford have to build sports type cars that don't look like sports cars. The wheel wells look way to large for the tires. Look @ a Porsche, BMW, G35 evan a vette and i could go on a long list here. I take that back about the grille however that's just a styling thing.

Well, is the SGT or GT500 even a "sports car"?

Muscle car, especially the GT500.

dont get me wrong i do like the GT500 and thats what i originally wanted till i saw the ADM :do what:

then they showed me the SGT priced at $44k and at first i was like...hmmmmm :headscratch:

but then they let me test drive it and i was like...hmmmmm :yup::spiteful:

but i still kinda "ho-hummed" about it, then the sales manager brought me back inside with the sales rep and they lowered the price to $38k and i was like...hmmmmm :rockon: :burnout: :bandance:

also wanted to add that the SGT, even though mine isn't supercharged, "looks" more like a $60,000 Shelby than the GT500. the looks of the SGT just pops.

just my .02

i could always add a supercharger for 5k if i feel the urge and still have less money in it than the GT500. maybe even have it cammed and have exhaust headers put in it and upgrade brakes and still come out cheaper :spend: ...hmmm wait, i might have to do some math on that to make sure :stats:

:hysterical:

I wouldn't call it "low budget"

Any car that cost $38K+ is far from being something I would consider "low budget"

Now, is the SGT the lowest MSRP cost of the Shelbys being sold? Sure, but every model has that.

The SGT is the lowest MSRP Shelby offered. Then the GT500, then the KR

When they build the GT350 I suspect that would fall inbetween the SGT and GT500

So what??? Would you have rather paid a lot more?

It is sort of like buying a SE, SEL or Limited model. One has to be the lowest starting point as far as pricing while one will be the highest point with others that fall inbetween. Does that make one any cheaper or better than the other? Of course not. It allows choices for those to buy what they like and for some to be able to buy one that is more in their price bracket. But it doesn't make it a entry level car just because it has the lowest MSRP.

All of these cars are AWESOME and I wish I could have one of each!

During the Birthday Bash Driving Event, in Vegas, I spoke to 3 of the Driving Instructors. Each one commented on the "total package" of the Shelby GT. "Performance, handling, and styling". They all commented that . . . "this is not a 'poser' this is the real deal".

I think every Shelby is cool. I personally bought the GT, because "it is, what it is". I liked the historical tie-in of "Ford-to-Shelby" for mods.

The fun factor is way-high on this car. This is my first Shelby. I am confident it won't be my last.

This is more fun than I deserve!

All of these cars are AWESOME and I wish I could have one of each!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!

michael morris

ummmmmm you do !!! almost. :hysterical::hysterical:

All these cars are awesome ! I had the pleasure of riding in Shelby GT/SC's ( manual and auto) , GT 500's while in vegas. ( I only got to "look" at a KR :( ) They are all special SHELBYS ! Some cost more...some cost less..but they are all great cars ! All of them gave me whiplash !! :hysterical: Some handled better on the road course, some killed others on the straight aways........but most of all, they were all Shelby's !

As fun as these cars are on the street where they really shine is on a road course. I was at Watkins Glen in October with the local Porsche Club at their driver ed event and even though it was my first time ever on the track the SGT built my confidence very quickly as it was very composed and I found myself doing things I never thought I could do. I even passed some Porsches on a couple of runs. I know with better tires the SGT would do even better. If you have not gotten your SGT to a track - do it. You will be even more impressed with your car. Going up the inclined Esses at about 100mph is a rush I can't wait to experience again and I will this June! I consider myself fortunate to live so close to such a great and historic roaf course. If anyone is near Western NY its worth the drive to Watkins Glen NY to participate in one of these events.

I never thought about it the way you decribed. I went looking for a "V8" Mustang. I first thought color and the interior, were my main goal. I took a glance at the GT500 in the showroom floor. It was beautiful. But, I live in a area that I did not think I would be using a supercharged car very much. I wanted a car that can offer better gas milage, and is unique enough that I can be a little seperated from the rest of the beautiful mustangs that I see.

The salesman showed me the Shelby GT after I test drove a Roush stage II. I fell in love with it the second I saw it. It truely wasnt the money that made or swayed my decision. It was truely the car and package it offered. So I suppose I never thought of it being the low end Shelby. I add things to my car in my garage, and it makes me happy. I think that is the main reason I purchased my car, was just my happiness it brought me. Plus it does look sweet.

Good topic though.

It wasn't money that swayed my decision either-I actually was leaning towards the GT500 until I saw a Shelby GT parked next to it and I actually was more drawn to the looks & stance of the SGT over the GT500 and the whole retro feel to it pulled me in---REALLY HARD. It was reminiscent of the unaffordable car of my dreams-a 60's vintage Shelby(that I wouldn't really be able to drive much). I don't really NEED 500 HP and in the grand scheme of things the price wasn't much different between the cars/insurance-I just wanted a Shelby I could enjoy with my son. (that being said, I still have my eye on that original 2007 GT500 I looked at--if only the dealer would budge on the ADM)

If entry means most affordable...I would have to agree. I wouldn't call the SGT an entry level car...but we can probably agree that it will be the most affordable 2006+ Shelby (not including options)....from SAI or Ford. I can't see SAI building a future Shelby with a lower MSRP than the SGT. Ford will create special editions, like the bullet, that will be lower, but I still don't see a cheap Shelby from them either. We know the GT350 won't be cheaper than the SGT.

Low budget, entry level Shelby, Baby Shelby... really doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks of it. Like most here I like 'em all. I really don't have the need for 500 HP although I do like the looks of the GT500. I went into the local Ford dealer just to check the prices on the Mustang Gt. I saw and liked the California Special. They also had a Rousch, stage whatever. I didn't care for the over the top looks of it. And then I saw the Shelby GT. Honestly, I didn't even know they were available. I knew when I saw it that I really wanted this car. After driving it, it was a done deal. Nothing rational or logical about it, a totally emotional purchase that I don't regret at all. I got a very good deal and every time I drive it I get this big grin that's lasted 2,000 miles so far. I can't park it and walk away without looking back at it. I don't think I would feel the same about the others. Like I said, they were all there on the showroom floor but this was the one that tripped my trigger. Thank you Carroll Shelby, Amy, Ford and everyone that made this possible. Yeah, and about 20 miles after signing the papers, the teenage sweetie standing in the moonroof of the stretch limo yelling "hey mister I love your car" didn't hurt a thing either. Made this 61 year old feel young again. Still stoked :happy feet:

Jim

I wouldn't call it "low budget"

Any car that cost $38K+ is far from being something I would consider "low budget"

I'll see your $38K and raise you $20K (for a vert with mods). That is NOT low buget!

X2. This car cost me out the @ss and continues to do so!

In the past three weeks not counting payment I have/will spend about $1G and the damn thing is 50 miles away!!

My "damn thing" is 2500 miles away! :banghead:

What's really cool is when a motorcycle cop pulls up next to you @ a light and says NICE car.This thing really turns heads i guess because you never see any. I know this sounds stupid, but if you didn't own one, then your head would be turning when and if you saw one.

As fun as these cars are on the street where they really shine is on a road course. I was at Watkins Glen in October with the local Porsche Club at their driver ed event and even though it was my first time ever on the track the SGT built my confidence very quickly as it was very composed and I found myself doing things I never thought I could do. I even passed some Porsches on a couple of runs. I know with better tires the SGT would do even better. If you have not gotten your SGT to a track - do it. You will be even more impressed with your car. Going up the inclined Esses at about 100mph is a rush I can't wait to experience again and I will this June! I consider myself fortunate to live so close to such a great and historic roaf course. If anyone is near Western NY its worth the drive to Watkins Glen NY to participate in one of these events.

I live close to Sears Point and plan on going this spring! Can't wait. :waiting:

Thunder Mountain is also not too far away...:headspin:

Archived