TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is it that hard??

Is it really that hard to drill two straight holes in the bumper, I got my shelby plate frame and went to remove to dealship temp plate and frame..they had drilled 5 holes total 3 in the top and two in the bottom and it wasn't eve straight or centered. Ok maybe I am being knit picky ... so I had to center it and drill anoth hole my self, ok it is the rear bumper and you can't see the holes but I was lucky here was about 16th of an inch between the new hole and the old crooked off center one (luckily for me enough to get a screw in there)

anyone else find this?

Sorry just venting...

Mark

Is it really that hard to drill two straight holes in the bumper, I got my shelby plate frame and went to remove to dealship temp plate and frame..they had drilled 5 holes total 3 in the top and two in the bottom and it wasn't eve straight or centered. Ok maybe I am being knit picky ... so I had to center it and drill anoth hole my self, ok it is the rear bumper and you can't see the holes but I was lucky here was about 16th of an inch between the new hole and the old crooked off center one (luckily for me enough to get a screw in there)

anyone else find this?

Sorry just venting...

Mark

Nope...I told them not to do mine, I did it myself. Haven't heard of anyone else with this issue.

anyone else find this?

Sorry just venting...

Mark

Mark,

If the screws don't bite good enough because the hole is too close to the miss drilled hole, you could install these inserts for a positive connection. When the screw goes into these, it spreds out the insert and gets a good grip. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your dealer on this. Here is a link to the inserts.

http://www.sidsavage.com/store/License_Pla...s___R0406?Args=

Personally, I would make them replace the whole bumper. First of all because they even drilled into it, secondly they messed it up !

Even if it is state law to have a plate on the front, there are drilless brackets and the decision should have been yours on whether or not to drill or not to drill.

:headspin:

Personally, I would make them replace the whole bumper. First of all because they even drilled into it, secondly they messed it up !

Even if it is state law to have a plate on the front, there are drilless brackets and the decision should have been yours on whether or not to drill or not to drill.

He stated in his original post that it was the REAR bumper. Not that it makes much difference.

Mark,

If the screws don't bite good enough because the hole is too close to the miss drilled hole, you could install these inserts for a positive connection. When the screw goes into these, it spreds out the insert and gets a good grip. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your dealer on this. Here is a link to the inserts.

http://www.sidsavage.com/store/License_Pla...s___R0406?Args=

The screw caught for now, just makes me made that you have some tech drill my shelby and miss drill and still not get it straight......There is a hole partially drilled, just sux again just being a little OCD

Again, he stated it was the BACK Plate. Anyway, that is 100% BS, I would demand they fix it. 5 holes, are you f'ing kidding me. Was the guy drunk?????????? 99% do not even do the bottom holes, mine are not done. The top holes have little dimples, it is not possible to get those wrong unless they did it in the dark.

I would be upset & would certainly say something after all there are two dimples to use as a guide. Maybe you can get it fixed or at least a few oil changes FREE,

I doubt they will fix I got the car DEC 30th...I wonder how hard it would be for a good body shop to repair???

Mark

The screw caught for now, just makes me made that you have some tech drill my shelby and miss drill and still not get it straight......There is a hole partially drilled, just sux again just being a little OCD

that was no tech, that was a lot boy who did that.

I doubt they will fix I got the car DEC 30th...I wonder how hard it would be for a good body shop to repair???

Mark

Mark- I would think any body shop worth anything would be able to fix them. I had a dime sized hole in the front bumper of my last mustang that I had repaired and it looked like new after it was done. The one thing that you'll want to make sure of is that they fill the holes from both the inside surface and the outside surface of the body panel, especially if you're planning on keeping the car long term. If they only fill from outside, as the filler ages, it may shrink a bit and fall out or show a dimple under the paint--this comes from a friend who is a second generation independent body man for my hometown Ford dealership (they don't have their own shop anymore) who restores mustangs on the side with his dad.

Mark- I would think any body shop worth anything would be able to fix them. I had a dime sized hole in the front bumper of my last mustang that I had repaired and it looked like new after it was done. The one thing that you'll want to make sure of is that they fill the holes from both the inside surface and the outside surface of the body panel, especially if you're planning on keeping the car long term. If they only fill from outside, as the filler ages, it may shrink a bit and fall out or show a dimple under the paint--this comes from a friend who is a second generation independent body man for my hometown Ford dealership (they don't have their own shop anymore) who restores mustangs on the side with his dad.

Ok added a pic, you can see the holes and the offcenter,

post-12308-1202617912_thumb.jpg

post-12308-1202617912_thumb.jpg

:ohsnap: they must have a one eyed person workin at that dealership

now your bumper looks like it was used for target practice :blink:

i think they only put 2 holes in mine if i recall...i replaced dealership frame with a shelby one that i ordered. the 2 holes lined up. i guess my dealer has well trained lot boys

that would just eat on me. even if i had it repaired i'll know that it has body filler in the bumper.

or even if i just have the bumper replaced i'll know its not original anymore.

or if i dont do anything the plate and frame will hide the holes but i'll know the holes are there.

u just have to pick the lesser evil of the choices. i guess 'for me' replacing the bumper is the best choice. after all its just plastic....or fiberglass...or whatever it is. :headscratch::yup:

I would take it back to them, that is BS.

Did they tell you it was like that when you picked the car up?

If not, I would be furious.A couple members here work at dealers, ask them what they would do if this happened at their dealer. If you have no luck with your salesperson go directly to the owner. You can usually do it via e-mail that way you can send the pictures also.

I would not be able to live with that, but that is me.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

I would take it back to them, that is BS.

Did they tell you it was like that when you picked the car up?

If not, I would be furious.A couple members here work at dealers, ask them what they would do if this happened at their dealer. If you have no luck with your salesperson go directly to the owner. You can usually do it via e-mail that way you can send the pictures also.

I would not be able to live with that, but that is me.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

I had no idea until I took off the Temp Plate and put on my shelby frame and perm. plates..

Mark

Unfortunately where there are State laws involved the issue becomes a LIABILITY issue and dealers are bound by the law.

As a dealer you are required to make sure the vehicle meets all legal requirements when it is delivered to the consumer or the dealer becomes liable.

For example. State law requires a front plate. The customer does not want a front plate. But the dealer is liable to make sure the front has a bracket to mount a plate.

If the dealer fails to install the front bracket the dealer can be held liable for paying all future fines the consumer may get for not having a front plate. The consumer can just play dumb by stating there is no place to mount a plate on the front. This is the way the car came from the dealership. The consumer can end up forcing the dealer to pay their fines for failing to install a front bracket.

Now if the consumer doesn't want the bracket installed where a dealer is required by law to install one, then by you offering to supply a bracket that can be installed without drilling holes, I would imagine the dealer could do that for you.

But here is an example. In our State all vehicles with 8000lbs GVWR REQUIRE a D plate which is a commercial plate. This requires the vehicle having to be saftey tested every 6 months. Some customers don't want that plate and insist on just a B truck plate which is for vehicles under 8000lbs GVWR.

We had a customer that had personalized B Plates. He INSISTED on transferring his plates and REFUSED to get the required D plate. So we just did what he insisted!

About a month later he walks in having a FIT because he got a ticket for not having a D plate! We reminded him that we TOLD him this and how HE INSISTED AND REFUSED to get the D plate. His argument was WE are the dealer and WE should have not done that no matter what he insisted on because he did not know he was required even though we told him he was. Since WE failed to FORCE him to get the D plate and allowed him to transfer his B plates that we should have to pay his $200 ticket AND we should get him the D plates and pay the additional cost required to get D plates since WE failed to make him get D plates in the first place.

So you see, it doesn't matter what YOU want or that you may agree to take any responsibilty for it should you get caught later. It matters WHO can be held LIABLE for it when it happens. And all it takes is for one idiot that agreed to take responsibilty and later come back and blame the dealer for it where the dealer ends up being liable just because they did what the customer wanted.

So in order for the dealer to be released from any liability the dealer must comply with what the State law requires or they are the one that is leagally liable for anything that happens as a result of failing to comply with the law.

Obviously they knew. At least the person who put your plates on did. I know on my car that was my Sales-women. I told her many times I wanted NO front plate and only 2 holes for the back. Like I said earlier, it comes with dimples, it is almost impossible to mess up.

That would torque me up even more that they tried to hide it from me.

I would give them the benifit of the doubt that only the person that did it knew about it, but would not stop until they fixed it even if I had to go to the Owner.

I would be so pissed I would ask them verbally and in writing to replace the Bumper .If not then take them to "Small Claims Court" Let the unbiased Judge decide.hydro

Mark,

For what its worth, I just checked my 08 SGT Conv that I just picked up 4 days ago. It still has the dealer plate on it with only screws in the top two holes. I lifted up the cardboard dealer tag just enough to feel if they had made any holes underneath the temp tag. I found that not only are there dimples for the top two holes by I found the appropriate dimples marking the location to place the bottom two holes for the rear license plate.

In other words, there is no reason why any of the four holes should have been messed up if a tech had installed the temp tag for your car. I think someone else in a hurry slapped it on your car without checking to see where to drill.

Just FYI, when I purchased a brand new Mercedes Benz ML 320 with third row removable seats the sales man was demonstrating how to completely remove the seats as we were taking delivery of the vehicle. In the process he scratched the rear bumber completely through the paint to the plastic surface. He told me to bring it back at my convenience and he would have this touched up to my satisfaction at no cost. I took it back to the dealership for a service appointment and to have this corrected about 5 months after I purchased the vehicle with nothing in writing from the salesman or the dealership. They took care of it without any questions.

I have since returned to purchase additional vehicles from the same dealership and the exact same salesman.

I think they owe you a repair to your satisfaction.

Good Luck.

Archived