TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car$ & Driver$

SSGT500

The current issue of Car & Driver insults Mr. Shelby by inferring he is all about the money. If you turn to the back of the same issue, you will find three ads for male enhancement drugs. Funny how they complain about people putting money before everything else and they profit by running deceiving ads for useless crap. It reminds me of the ad that they ran years ago for "radar absorbing paint". All you had to do was paint your car with it and your car would be virtually invisible to police radar. The staff at C&D should take a look in the mirror. They probably wouldn't be complaining at all if Mr. Shelby had been modifying Porsches.

The current issue of Car & Driver insults Mr. Shelby by inferring he is all about the money. If you turn to the back of the same issue, you will find three ads for male enhancement drugs. Funny how they complain about people putting money before everything else and they profit by running deceiving ads for useless crap. It reminds me of the ad that they ran years ago for "radar absorbing paint". All you had to do was paint your car with it and your car would be virtually invisible to police radar. The staff at C&D should take a look in the mirror. They probably wouldn't be complaining at all if Mr. Shelby had been modifying Porsches.

You know it's hard not to let some of this crap get to you, I had a talk with Carroll today and asked him how he deals with it, he said that there will always be people who disagree, who don't know or don't care to understand the facts, they love the dirt. He said when they stop talking about you...you should worry, ignore the petty crap and the petty people.... :hysterical:

I also think the "he's about $$$" Is a cop out and a rue to hide something else. I don't know about the early years, but I know that when I went to Vegas 2 1/2 years ago, and there was 137 cobras on back order with deposits and 6 million in the hole, I told Carroll he had 3 choices, go bankrupt, pay everyone off and close the doors, or invest again in the staff and the business.

Well, if it was about money, he wouldn't have paid all those millions to keep the doors open and deliver all those cars and invest in the new cars as well. If he was about $$ he would have closed the doors.

Sometimes you have to just take the high road and realize people will say what they want regardless of the truth, besides this article wasn't that bad and Car and Driver and Shelby go back a long way, it is not a great relationship....... Let it go

Enjoy the cars, enjoy the friends.....

Amy

Amy, I would agree that the article was not that bad. However, the double standards at C&D reflect poorly on them.

hence why I said "let it go" cheap shots will not hurt him or us....

Amy, I would agree that the article was not that bad. However, the double standards at C&D reflect poorly on them.

C&D has any standards? imho their journalistic integrity has long been up for sale to the highest bidders at the auto manufacturers and biased beyond belief against anything domestic with wheels on it. I don't take anything they say without a grain of salt roughly the size of a beachball.... When I do buy their mag (which is rarely) it's only if they run photos I really want to see.

Mr. Shelby has survived much in his career as a racer, car builder and businessman. I don't think a bit of snippiness from this publication is going to phase him much (nor should it)

Car & Driver is in business to make money and they make no bones about it.

Carroll Shelby says he's trying to protect his legacy.

He had his first chance in the sixties when the Cobra program ended but he didn't. What did he do when the racing was over? He liquidated all of the old cars includin the Daytona coupes that are now worth millions. At the time they were nothing more to him than old cars to be sold.

Fast forward to the seventies when his Mustangs were ending; he wanted nothing to do with them. Chili contests and big game hunting were his interests then. He could have trademarked the model names back then but he didn't. They were nothing but used cars. No more, no less.

In fact Carroll was so concerned about his legacy that he licensed his name to a bunch of Dodge K cars.

Fast forward again to the present and all things Shelby (with the notable exceptions of the Chrysler stuff and the Series 1) are selling considerable amounts of money with no amount of letting up.

This is the climate that Mr. Shelby decided to it was finally time to protect his legacy. The cynic in me says that if his Cobra's and Mustangs were in as much demand as his Chrysler cars he wouldn't have bothered.

I don't begrudge Mr. Shelby an opporunity to make a dime but at least be a little honest about it. Don't try to hide it behind altuism.

Car & Driver is in business to make money and they make no bones about it.

Carroll Shelby says he's trying to protect his legacy.

He had his first chance in the sixties when the Cobra program ended but he didn't. What did he do when the racing was over? He liquidated all of the old cars includin the Daytona coupes that are now worth millions. At the time they were nothing more to him than old cars to be sold.

Fast forward to the seventies when his Mustangs were ending; he wanted nothing to do with them. Chili contests and big game hunting were his interests then. He could have trademarked the model names back then but he didn't. They were nothing but used cars. No more, no less.

In fact Carroll was so concerned about his legacy that he licensed his name to a bunch of Dodge K cars.

Fast forward again to the present and all things Shelby (with the notable exceptions of the Chrysler stuff and the Series 1) are selling considerable amounts of money with no amount of letting up.

This is the climate that Mr. Shelby decided to it was finally time to protect his legacy. The cynic in me says that if his Cobra's and Mustangs were in as much demand as his Chrysler cars he wouldn't have bothered.

I don't begrudge Mr. Shelby an opporunity to make a dime but at least be a little honest about it. Don't try to hide it behind altuism.

I will say this, I don't think it is money. I think it's an age thing. He is 85, he realizes he needs to put stuff in order, he hasn't done that till recently. He wants his legacy to go on, his full legacy. He is doing that now. This is not about individual pieces, mustangs racing, dodge, its about his complete legacy and someone to take care of it all forever.

By the way, that isn't me, I have part of it, the SAI part and I have that for as long as I work here. It is his licensing group, his family and his companies. He has the right to feel secure that it will go on after him.

You know when I was 20, I gave stuff away, threw it away, never kept anything, at 50, and I am a nobody, There are things I hope to pass on, like family pictures and special life events, I keep it all now, As I probably won't live to be 85.....lol

I think age changes you about the importance of things, especially when you are someone with Carroll's history and legacy.

Amy

Like Amy said, " Let it go". Enjoy the family , enjoy friends and enjoy the cars......People will always talk, whethere you do good or bad.....

A very close friend once told me "YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO LAUGH AT LIFE OR IT WILL BITE YOU" :headspin::hysterical2:

On that note Lets :shift: gears into High and as Amy said we need to " Let it go". Enjoy the family , enjoy friends and enjoy the cars...... :burnout:

A very close friend once told me "YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO LAUGH AT LIFE OR IT WILL BITE YOU" :headspin::hysterical2:

On that note Lets :shift: gears into High and as Amy said we need to " Let it go". Enjoy the family , enjoy friends and enjoy the cars...... :burnout:

:happy feet: +11111111111111111111111111111111 :happy feet:

To me, this is sort of like way things are with Bobby Knight, retiring basketball coach.

Many people don't like him, critics luv to denounce him, he did a few things that weren't so good, but his records of 900+ wins speaks for itself.

Carrol Shelby seems to have a very comparable career in the automotive world.

Not sure if I would want him as my boss, but I respect his record of victories and have long been an enthusiast for his vehicles.

I will say this, I don't think it is money. I think it's an age thing. He is 85, he realizes he needs to put stuff in order, he hasn't done that till recently. He wants his legacy to go on, his full legacy. He is doing that now. This is not about individual pieces, mustangs racing, dodge, its about his complete legacy and someone to take care of it all forever.

By the way, that isn't me, I have part of it, the SAI part and I have that for as long as I work here. It is his licensing group, his family and his companies. He has the right to feel secure that it will go on after him.

You know when I was 20, I gave stuff away, threw it away, never kept anything, at 50, and I am a nobody, There are things I hope to pass on, like family pictures and special life events, I keep it all now, As I probably won't live to be 85.....lol

I think age changes you about the importance of things, especially when you are someone with Carroll's history and legacy.

Amy

Great mail, Amy. I always find that you represent Shelby with class and tact.

Jer

Archived