TEAM SHELBY FORUM

INTAKE PLENUM COVER WITH STRUT BRACE

WarrenS

Has anyone on the forum installed the Midwest Auto Gear Intake Plenum Cover with the stock Shelby Strut tower brace? I know its been done as I have seen examples in the past. Anyone with this mod want to share how they did it? THANKS.

Has anyone on the forum installed the Midwest Auto Gear Intake Plenum Cover with the stock Shelby Strut tower brace? I know its been done as I have seen examples in the past. Anyone with this mod want to share how they did it? THANKS.

I don't really know.

The SGT's "stock" strut tower brace is the Ford Racing brace, and it appears that the plenum cover won't fit beneath it. If it does, the plenum may suffer from damage from extreme engine torque and crack open. Afterall, it's only plastic, and engines under torque will rise up "veryclose" and may fracture it, unless you have installed solid engine mounts.

Haven't read about anyone here (or at the old forum) adding it, but maybe no one has tried?

If it DOES fit, there a half dozen options out there for us to pick from, some very attractive.

I don't really know.

The SGT's "stock" strut tower brace is the Ford Racing brace, and it appears that the plenum cover won't fit beneath it. If it does, the plenum may suffer from damage from extreme engine torque and crack open. Afterall, it's only plastic, and engines under torque will rise up "veryclose" and may fracture it, unless you have installed solid engine mounts.

Haven't read about anyone here (or at the old forum) adding it, but maybe no one has tried?

If it DOES fit, there a half dozen options out there for us to pick from, some very attractive.

On the old forum their was a member who did add a plenum cover that I think he got from Midweat Auto Gear. However, he said that he did not drive the car with the brace on, but when he showed the car, he had to add washers beneath the nuts to get the brace to clear the cover. If I can remember who it was I will post.

Robert

download068.jpg

I am one of those who put the cover on under the strut tower brace. Also I don't drive with both of them on. Either or depending on what the next or last event I attended was. The only time they are both on my car at the same time is when I am parked at a show. I drive in with the plenum cover on and then put the brace on once I am in my spot. Right know the strut tower brace is on because I don't plan on attending a show until May.

The cover only fits under the brace when you get creative with washers under the brace. Start by adding the washers to the front strut bolts to increase the clearance. Midwest auto gear was giving this suggestion also.

I don't drive with both on for a couple of reasons. First even with washers I created less then a 1/4" of clearance. I have over $500 invested in my plenum cover and it already gets its share of ware from the blanket under my CS hood. Second if you look at your strut tower brace it seems pretty obvious that it is designed to sit flat on the fender well. Thus the physical forces are transmitted between the larger surface of the fender well and strut tower brace. If you use washers to raise the brace, the brace no longer sits flat if at all on the fender well. I am not an engineer but I think changing the geometry would then transmit the physical force through the strut bolts. In my layman's opinion that wouldn't be good.

• 1 month later...
I am one of those who put the cover on under the strut tower brace. Also I don't drive with both of them on. Either or depending on what the next or last event I attended was. The only time they are both on my car at the same time is when I am parked at a show. I drive in with the plenum cover on and then put the brace on once I am in my spot. Right know the strut tower brace is on because I don't plan on attending a show until May.

The cover only fits under the brace when you get creative with washers under the brace. Start by adding the washers to the front strut bolts to increase the clearance. Midwest auto gear was giving this suggestion also.

I don't drive with both on for a couple of reasons. First even with washers I created less then a 1/4" of clearance. I have over $500 invested in my plenum cover and it already gets its share of ware from the blanket under my CS hood. Second if you look at your strut tower brace it seems pretty obvious that it is designed to sit flat on the fender well. Thus the physical forces are transmitted between the larger surface of the fender well and strut tower brace. If you use washers to raise the brace, the brace no longer sits flat if at all on the fender well. I am not an engineer but I think changing the geometry would then transmit the physical force through the strut bolts. In my layman's opinion that wouldn't be good.

I'd rather keep the brace on without the plenum cover. The exposed intake tubes under the brace work together well in regards to looks. IMO it just doesn't look right with the brace and the plenum cover both on together...show or no show.

I'd rather keep the brace on without the plenum cover. The exposed intake tubes under the brace work together well in regards to looks. IMO it just doesn't look right with the brace and the plenum cover both on together...show or no show.

+1 The signed cover I would save and put it on only for shows, it's just for looks, while the brace helps in every day driving. The idea you drive in with the cover on and add the brace and not the other way around seems reversed to me other than it's less effort I guess.

But it's your car! :happy feet:

Archived