TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Many of you traded newer Vettes for the Shelby, may I ask Why?????????

William Rodgers

I got my Shelby last month, I was stuck between New Vette, GT500, Roush 427r, used 996 Porshe, and the Shelby GT. I noticed many went from the Vette to the Shelby. If you could tell me what you did not like about the Vette as opposed to the Shelby I would appreciate it. Just curious.

Couple of reasons,First will make some people mad.I was doing 150mph on my way home from work EVERYDAY in the Vette.It would get there way to easy!Needed something a little more reserved in power,Not weak,But reserved!Insurance on shelby less than half for 6 mos of full coverage.Now for the good.The Shelby had a back seat,Not much of one mind you but a back seat and more room.It handles,Let's say I was told that I needed to learn to trust the uneasy feeling that the Vette gave me in corners,Not so with the Shelby GT,It feels as it does,Awesome!Looks are personal choice.I like them both no doubt,But the Shelby was more my style looks wise.Price difference was negligible,I bought my Vette at GMS and it was a base model 6 speed so it was $40,251 VS High 30s for the Shelby.If you want a car to be noticed in,The Shelby wins hands down,I only realized that after the purchase,People would stop and stare at the Shelby!All around more friendly car.

I cant say I traded a Vette for a Shelby, but i have bought a new Vetter every year for the last 4 years. This year I didnt buy the Vette for 2 reasons. After the 07 Vette sold I decided since I work for a Ford dealership I should drive Fords. The only problem with that is we only get 1 GT500 every year and I didnt want to take it away for the store. The second reason is I wanted a SS. I asked alot of folks and begged alot of folks until I was able to come up with a GT500 allocation. So now I have a SS ordered just the way I want it and its a Ford. Problem solved!!! :happy feet:

The Vette is a great car, but I really needed to be driving a Ford. Of course this is just my thinking. I live is a small town and everyone know everyone.

michael morris

Alot of common reasons for the SHELBY over a vette is that the Mustang has a real trunk and back seats for little ones so if u need to haul a third person u could ...

Exclusivity, exhaust sound, better quality interior & more solid feel, much better turning radius, rear seat/trunk practicality, lack of over-controlled stability control, lack of scraping the front on dips, retro style, unique looks, cool dash, Shalby cache. When I saw the blue 08s I couldn't refuse! Plus, my corvette was an automatic, and I love the 5spd hurst.

My main reason for trading my 'Vette for a GT was the back seat. I have an 8 and 10 year old and I was only driving the 'Vette on nice days when I had a babysitter. The 'Vette was 5.5 years old when I sold it. It only had 8,000 miles on it and still smelled new. The GT is not even a year old yet and there are 4,500 miles on it. The boys and I usually drive it on the weekend and we have had a lot of fun cruising around in it!

I've never owned a Vette, but a friend has a nice 05. We drove each others cars and he says my 3rd gear is sick and the Shelby loves to rev(as we all know) and I felt like the vette was a hand-full at 70 80 MPH while the SGT is practically hands-free at 120! The vette had more power at mid rpm's (I got about 35 degrees sideways when I romped it at @60mph) but the Hurst shifter kept me very close all the way to 100+ :headspin:

You seee a million vettes and how many genuine Shelbys? :dreamy:

To me, no contest!

My .02

Dan

That would be my take on it, everybody has a vette, few own Shelby's. B)

Owned several Vettes..great bang for the buck, but not as exclusive as a Shelby...The Corvette is a sports car,the Shelby is more of a retro muscle car..

I have wanted a Shelby since i was a teenager back in the '60s...Finally got a chance to own one..

There will always be Corvettes,who knows what is going to happen with the Shelby/Ford deal of producing these great cars at a affordable price point... :happy feet:

Owned several Vettes..great bang for the buck, but not as exclusive as a Shelby...The Corvette is a sports car,the Shelby is more of a retro muscle car..

I have wanted a Shelby since i was a teenager back in the '60s...Finally got a chance to own one..

There will always be Corvettes,who knows what is going to happen with the Shelby/Ford deal of producing these great cars at a affordable price point... :happy feet:

I considered the 6spd Vette, Charger SRT, Audi S4, Audi TT, M3, M1, M4 CPE, GT 500 and SGT...

Although the Vette had much better gas milage... they're every where. I've yet to see a Shelby GT on the road, (CSBB excluded) year two and counting.

1. Shelblys' are more exclusive... better residual longterm value.

2. Still not crazy about Vettes interior... seems dated... hate the big console housing the tranny.

3. I always have wanted to own a Shelby.

Although the Vette won hands down against the GT 500 in Car and Driver's June 2006 issue...

I have no plans to go to the track... take things to the limit every time I get in the car.

Let's face it, regardless of whatever car you buy... For the most part, there will always be some other car that's handles better, accelerate and brake faster.

Shelby's have "Too Much Too Cool"...

R/ J

Couple of reasons,First will make some people mad.I was doing 150mph on my way home from work EVERYDAY in the Vette.It would get there way to easy!Needed something a little more reserved in power,Not weak,But reserved!Insurance on shelby less than half for 6 mos of full coverage.Now for the good.The Shelby had a back seat,Not much of one mind you but a back seat and more room.It handles,Let's say I was told that I needed to learn to trust the uneasy feeling that the Vette gave me in corners,Not so with the Shelby GT,It feels as it does,Awesome!Looks are personal choice.I like them both no doubt,But the Shelby was more my style looks wise.Price difference was negligible,I bought my Vette at GMS and it was a base model 6 speed so it was $40,251 VS High 30s for the Shelby.If you want a car to be noticed in,The Shelby wins hands down,I only realized that after the purchase,People would stop and stare at the Shelby!All around more friendly car.

+1. If I had responded first, this would be my exact post.

The only thing I miss about the Vette is the keyless remote.

Interesting you all have almost the same reasons I did not buy one. Maybe one day I will buy a Vette, but more than likely my next Sports Car will be another Porsche. Anyway, i noticed on the other thread that asked what you drove before your Shelby a lot of prior Vette owners and was just curious because it was in the running for me.

I traded in my '05 Corvette convertible for the SGT. The engine in the Corvette was phenomenal; I really miss the speed that it had compared to the SGT. The seats and ride comfort were better too, though ingress and egress were a chore. Overall, it was a better car than the SGT, but then again, it is not a fair comparison because they are in entirely different classes and the Corvette cost a lot more.

There were many factors in my decision, but a large part of it was that I just couldn't bring myself to drive my Corvette in traffic to work every day. As a result, it had only 4000 miles on it after two years of ownership. I would periodically tell myself that I would start driving it more often, but I just never did.

When I purchased the SGT, I swore that it would be my daily driver, and so far I have stuck to it. I have really enjoyed it so far, and am looking forward to putting 100,000 miles on it.

I got my Shelby last month, I was stuck between New Vette, GT500, Roush 427r, used 996 Porshe, and the Shelby GT. I noticed many went from the Vette to the Shelby. If you could tell me what you did not like about the Vette as opposed to the Shelby I would appreciate it. Just curious.

I actually considered four cars. The Vette, a 350Z, a special mustang (Roush, etc.) and believe it or not, a Mini Cooper S. Also the new Challenger but I didn't want to wait that long.

I didn't know what to do until I walked into a Ford showroom last year and saw the black SGT. I was floored by how AWESOME it looked. SAI's choices on the wheels, stripe, hood scoop, side scoops, front and rear fascia's are perfect in my opinion. It's flashy but not over done. I wouldn't change a single thing about the looks of this car. Some change the wheels and have gotten different hoods. But IMO you can't mess with perfection. Even with it's flaws, the hood scoop makes the looks of this car and is the best scoop looking scoop design on the market. IMO, there is not an angle from which the car doesn't look great and don't know if I like driving it more than I do looking at it. That's why I bought the 1:18 diecast model so I can look at it all day long in my office. :happy feet:

Too many Corvettes. The Shelby GT is not a car you see a lot of and it does have the class that I think the vette just does not have any more. Sorry Vette lovers, even though I have had 2 of them. I live in a big city with an international airport and I still have only seen one on the road to this day- The car draws huge attention. I have 20" chrome razors with the GT500 spoiler and SGT stripes over the spoiler. It does just get the stares/oogles!

I had a 05 vette and had the clutch replaced because the chatter was so bad. The service dept said that was a common problem and get used to it. I didn't like the body style that much, it had that coke look of the 68's . I felt the car just didn't feel right @ speed. The SGT is a little slower @ full bore but @ everyday driving it's more entertaining . The Vette reminded me of a car that will age like a street hooker.

I cant say I traded a Vette for a Shelby, but i have bought a new Vetter every year for the last 4 years. This year I didnt buy the Vette for 2 reasons. After the 07 Vette sold I decided since I work for a Ford dealership I should drive Fords. The only problem with that is we only get 1 GT500 every year and I didnt want to take it away for the store. The second reason is I wanted a SS. I asked alot of folks and begged alot of folks until I was able to come up with a GT500 allocation. So now I have a SS ordered just the way I want it and its a Ford. Problem solved!!! :happy feet:

The Vette is a great car, but I really needed to be driving a Ford. Of course this is just my thinking. I live is a small town and everyone know everyone.

michael morris

Besides MM, you know what they say---only little boys wear bowties.

Ditto!!! You can't buy a brand new Vette for less than $40 grand! Plus it's a Shelby!

I have always been a Chevy man, but once I saw I could get a Shelby (less than sticker) I felt it was a great deal to get a classic muscle car brand new!

So, now I'm trying to sell my 97 Vette and I proudly own a 2007 Shelby GT.......

The "there will always be Corvettes" comment is a good one. That is one of the reasons that I didn't mind letting my '05 Corvette convertible go. Though it was a fine car, there wasn't anything special or significant about it, either to me, the Corvette community or the general public.

I still have my '00 Corvette coupe to give me a vette fix when I need it, and if I ever decide that I want a new one, they will always be available. It's just a matter of picking out one in the right color and with the desired options.

Archived