TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Always Keep your Car Locked!!!!!!

1968mustang

I went home yesterday for lunch just to have a real quick sandwich. Nothing fancy, spent about 30 minutes instide. I had pulled my car up to the Garage, (circular drive behind house) and just pulled the emergency brake and got out. I did not lock it, because I live outside of the city, and well it was my driveway. Finished eathing went outside looked at the spot where I had parked, and no car. I mean I just did a double take and said what!!!!!!!!!! I walked around my garage and out front in a separate parking place was my car half in the parking place and half blocking the drive. I ran to it, looked over, still shaking my head, and noticed the car had knocked over a planter, scraped the back bumper and then rolled forward about 10 feet. The car was in 3rd gear, no emergency brake on, and did not see anyone. I know you may think well, he just forgot about the emergency brake. The car would have had to roll 75 yards, doing a 180 degree turn, hit a flower pot, and then move forward 12 feet. Called the cops, and they said no way could this car roll to end up here.

Just thannkful, all I got was a little scratch. Moral is LOCK YOU CAR ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always lock my car unless I'm standing right by it. Its just a habit that I got into long ago. It makes me wonder how many time theives may have looked at my cars in the past only to find them locked. Glad to read you and yours are ok.

I went home yesterday for lunch just to have a real quick sandwich. Nothing fancy, spent about 30 minutes instide. I had pulled my car up to the Garage, (circular drive behind house) and just pulled the emergency brake and got out. I did not lock it, because I live outside of the city, and well it was my driveway. Finished eathing went outside looked at the spot where I had parked, and no car. I mean I just did a double take and said what!!!!!!!!!! I walked around my garage and out front in a separate parking place was my car half in the parking place and half blocking the drive. I ran to it, looked over, still shaking my head, and noticed the car had knocked over a planter, scraped the back bumper and then rolled forward about 10 feet. The car was in 3rd gear, no emergency brake on, and did not see anyone. I know you may think well, he just forgot about the emergency brake. The car would have had to roll 75 yards, doing a 180 degree turn, hit a flower pot, and then move forward 12 feet. Called the cops, and they said no way could this car roll to end up here.

Just thannkful, all I got was a little scratch. Moral is LOCK YOU CAR ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something else everyone might want to consider is to keep a piece of paper, or whatever, over your vin # when parked in a public area.

The reason being, if someone wants your car and can get the vin, they can print a phony registration, go to the dealer and have a key made.

Don

I also lock our cars anytime I am away from them. Two of them are locked right know sitting in our garage. Since my Shelby is a weekender, the keys are stored in a safe.

Also, if you live in an area serviced by LOJACK, I highly recommend getting it installed. I speak from a bit of experience. I have it on two of our cars.

Something else everyone might want to consider is to keep a piece of paper, or whatever, over your vin # when parked in a public area.

The reason being, if someone wants your car and can get the vin, they can print a phony registration, go to the dealer and have a key made.

Don

Wow! I never thought of that! Man, don't some people have anything better to do than figure out ways to rip you off? :censored:

I also lock our cars anytime I am away from them. Two of them are locked right know sitting in our garage. Since my Shelby is a weekender, the keys are stored in a safe.

Also, if you live in an area serviced by LOJACK, I highly recommend getting it installed. I speak from a bit of experience. I have it on two of our cars.

ShelbyPilot, I know this is off topic, but did you think the Granatelli rear control arms and the Fayz2 were worth the investment? I know you have autocrossed your car. Did you autocross before and after those mods? Could you tell the difference?

Thanks!

Wes

ShelbyPilot, I know this is off topic, but did you think the Granatelli rear control arms and the Fayz2 were worth the investment? I know you have autocrossed your car. Did you autocross before and after those mods? Could you tell the difference?

Thanks!

Wes

I will sned you a message. In the meantime, check this thread:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9178

Don

There is a down side to this suggestion. By Federal law, the VIN is on the dash so it can be read from outside the vehicle by LE officers. Known as the "public VIN", most states make it illegal to obscure the VIN, and it is a criminal offense. Here in Illinois, a low grade felony, but still considered "tampering" with the VIN.

Besides, getting a key made won't be that easy, the key still has to be programmed to your individual PATS system, and won't work without that.

Botton line...If the car thieves want your car, you are not going to stop them from getting it. All you can do is pause the spontaneous, don't leave them an invitation.

That is great that all you got was a scratch. I think these cars get checked out more than you would think. I have found a message saying to check security system about 5 times in the last year. Everytime this happened I had parked away from other people, I am sure you all do the same. Just makes you think, were there people hoping it was open or what. Never any damage just the Check Security System message. No idea why.

I agree to always keep the car locked. There is always someone trying to get aquick score.

Gib

There is a down side to this suggestion. The VIN is on the dash so it can be read from outside the vehicle by LE officers. Most states require this, and to obsecure the VIN is a criminal offense. Here in Illinois, a low grade felony, but still considered "tampering" with the VIN.

Besides, getting a key made won't be that easy, the key still has to be programmed to your individual PATS system, and won't work without that.

Botton line...If the car thieves want your car, you are not going to stop them from getting it.

Somehow, based on LuLu's former employment, I think he knows what he's talkin' about here! :yup:

I agree. I always lock my car, whether in the driveway or locked in the garage. The salesman tried to sell me on Lojack when I purchased my Shelby, saying that an awful lot of these cars are stolen. I guess I'm different from most but my thoughts are; I'll do all I can to make sure it's not stolen by locking it and being careful where I park and I'll carry good insurance but...if it's stolen I don't think I want it back. I've had friends whose cars were stolen, trashed, wrecked etc. If it's stolen, in most scenarios I'd rather not see it again.:banghead: Just me I guess...

Jim

Don

They can get a key made with the vin, BUT! That will only unlock the door. They will NOT be able to start it and drive away. The key has to be programmed and they can not program the key off the vin. They have to have the car and bring it to a dealer in order to get a key programmed. The only other way to program a key without bringing it to a dealer is to have a set of keys that are programmed in order to program a duplicate. Otherwise the car has to brought to a dealer to get one programmed.

They can get a key made with the vin, BUT! That will only unlock the door. They will NOT be able to start it and drive away. The key has to be programmed and they can not program the key off the vin. They have to have the car and bring it to a dealer in order to get a key programmed. The only other way to program a key without bringing it to a dealer is to have a set of keys that are programmed in order to program a duplicate. Otherwise the car has to brought to a dealer to get one programmed.

I am not doubting that they need the vehicle to do it but..... A friend of mine has a newer Cad. CTS. It takes the programmed keys too. Well, He left his car at the base while he went out of town. His ex wife was going to borrow it for the week. The key he gave her had not been programmed right and it would not start the car. She called a Caddy dealer and told them that she needed the key programmed. Without asking for any documentation they sent a technician out and charged her like $100.00 total. She was using my phone to make the call to the dealer and she never told them anything about his car, out of town, or anything like that. Only told them she needed it programmed and they came and did it. I could not believe he actually did it considering the situation. So it depends on the dealer and how they want to go about programming a key. Scary that someone can get your VIN. Goto dealer "A" to get a key. Then goto Dealer"B" to have them come out and program it. That is how it can get stolen. Sometimes too much customer service is not a good thing!

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: He had to get his key reprogrammed when he returned from his trip. I have no idea why though

Gib

Good thing they didn't make off with your car the damage was minimal! I've gotten into the habit of locking the car as soon as I'm out. They also tried to talk me into lojack, but I didn't want it. If it's stolen I'm gonna consider it gone, even if I get it back I'd still sell it off. The person who stole it will have probably trashed it, and if was done once what's to say it won't happen again.

Gibs- was the caddy set up so you don't actually need to use the key to open and start the car? the new chally has this and i thought it was cool, but now I'm kinda skeptical about it.

That must have been a creepy, unsettling feeling, but fortunately it was just a scratch (yeah, I know, if it were mine I wouldn't be quite so philosophical & would be very upset at any scratch!), but at least no one was injured! Is the scratch something you can buff out, at least, I hope?

You need to park your car in the driveway, windows down, with a sign that says "please steal me". Then you need to crawl up a nearby tree with a sniper rifle of your choice.( I prefer a 30-06) Then when the bad people come to steal your car just shoot off an arm or leg, or if your really a good shot the family giblets. See this way they run off and you don't have to do all that stupid explaining to the local law enforcement establishment. After word gets around that your a real bad a$$ your car will be safe!

I very seldom lock my car. In fact I just got in the habit of taking the keys out of the car when its parked in the garage. I guess this is one advantage of small town.

Oh man, I would flippin lose it. If someone did that to my Shelby. I would go mental especially if I saw someone in the act of doing it. If I knew that this freakin momo would come back I would rent big 2 searchlights, like the kind you would see at the movie theater and I would have a marching band with sparklers and skyrockets and those whacky inflatable flailing arm tube men, like the kind you see at cheap used car lots, and a hugh neon sign shaped like an arrow saying "Steal this car!" And if some chump rolled up on my ride... I would jump out of the bushes with a gorilla mask on and my 32 inch chainsaw and go after that dudes family jewels. Then I would stick a grocery bag full of scorpions over his head. Then I call my boys, Guido and Dominic to comeover and toss this dude into Lake Michigan. That will show them not mess with my Shelby. Ok, Ok, Im just kidding. I would'nt put a bag of scorpions over his head, It would be a bag of Man O War jellyfish instead! :hysterical2::hysterical2::headspin: :happy feet: :finger::hysterical:

I lock my car - even when I'm in it!

Many years ago I lived in New York City. I think it was in 1989, I lived on West 43rd Street in a new high rise...but still in the famed "Hell's Kitchen" section. I had recently bought a new 1988 Jaguar. I had gone down to the underground parking garage, pulled out onto W. 43rd, around dusk. Warm evening, my window down - my arm sitting on the door....and doors unlocked.

I immediately came up on the red light - at least one car stopped in front of me, with cars behind? not sure. When all of a sudden my rear door opens and a big dude jumps in - then his "woman" (for lack of a nicer word) jumps into my front passenger seat. Within seconds, he has my head in a headlock, he's reaching into my front pants with his right hand....then he yells, "you bitch, take his watch." Well, I had to unlatch my "rolex" - hand it to her skinny butt, and they both just jumped out of the car and walked (yes w a l k e d) away and around the corner.

I just sat there - dumbfounded - scared to DEATH - and I proceed to drive around the block and pulled into the police precinct. I spoke with officers who decided to take me with them in a squad car to go searching for "Bo and Ho" (I'll call them that, since I never got their first names) - We never did find Bo and/or Ho, however, while driving around, the cops turned on the car loud speaker and demanded this Caddy to pull over and yelled for everyone to get out of the car. I could not believe it, but without exaggeration, probably 10 hookers and two pimps - all dressed up (both hookers and pimps!) as if they were stuffed in that car like it were a phone booth!

That night turned out to be the weirdest night of my life and a lesson had been learned: LOCK THE CAR AT ALL TIMES!

Nearly twenty years later, I would never again buy a rolex.....would never again own a Jag.....and I always LOCK MY CAR!

This is a VERY true tale of a day in the life of living in New York City!

yikes

that was a close one

You are right. Expensive cars attract attention. The wrong kind of attention. People see you walking away from a caddy, jag, lincoln, etc and they assume you have money, even in a Wal Mart parking lot! The Shelby attracts attention but a different kind. Also never wear exposed jewelry, gold chains, krugerands on a gold chain, etc. And most importantly CCW, never leave home without it!

Damn! well I am glad the Shelby didn't suffer to much damage. It's funny that my friends allways think I am a little nuts, because I lock up my car when its in my garage, well I guess I'll be :wacko: forever!

At least you'll have company in the nut house- mine is locked in the garage and the keys have a super secret hiding place that only I know where they are kept.

You need to park your car in the driveway, windows down, with a sign that says "please steal me". Then you need to crawl up a nearby tree with a sniper rifle of your choice.( I prefer a 30-06) Then when the bad people come to steal your car just shoot off an arm or leg, or if your really a good shot the family giblets. See this way they run off and you don't have to do all that stupid explaining to the local law enforcement establishment. After word gets around that your a real bad a$$ your car will be safe!

I very seldom lock my car. In fact I just got in the habit of taking the keys out of the car when its parked in the garage. I guess this is one advantage of small town.

The disadvantage of small towns also--a lot of people will keep the keys in the vehicle in the garage. My father in law took his insurance agent fishing last summer and when the got in my father in law's pickup in the garage and his agent saw the keys dangling there he said that most major insurance companies will not cover vehicle theft from your home if the keys were left in the vehicle.

I lock my car - even when I'm in it!

Many years ago I lived in New York City. I think it was in 1989, I lived on West 43rd Street in a new high rise...but still in the famed "Hell's Kitchen" section. I had recently bought a new 1988 Jaguar. I had gone down to the underground parking garage, pulled out onto W. 43rd, around dusk. Warm evening, my window down - my arm sitting on the door....and doors unlocked.

I immediately came up on the red light - at least one car stopped in front of me, with cars behind? not sure. When all of a sudden my rear door opens and a big dude jumps in - then his "woman" (for lack of a nicer word) jumps into my front passenger seat. Within seconds, he has my head in a headlock, he's reaching into my front pants with his right hand....then he yells, "you bitch, take his watch." Well, I had to unlatch my "rolex" - hand it to her skinny butt, and they both just jumped out of the car and walked (yes w a l k e d) away and around the corner.

I just sat there - dumbfounded - scared to DEATH - and I proceed to drive around the block and pulled into the police precinct. I spoke with officers who decided to take me with them in a squad car to go searching for "Bo and Ho" (I'll call them that, since I never got their first names) - We never did find Bo and/or Ho, however, while driving around, the cops turned on the car loud speaker and demanded this Caddy to pull over and yelled for everyone to get out of the car. I could not believe it, but without exaggeration, probably 10 hookers and two pimps - all dressed up (both hookers and pimps!) as if they were stuffed in that car like it were a phone booth!

That night turned out to be the weirdest night of my life and a lesson had been learned: LOCK THE CAR AT ALL TIMES!

Nearly twenty years later, I would never again buy a rolex.....would never again own a Jag.....and I always LOCK MY CAR!

This is a VERY true tale of a day in the life of living in New York City!

66DNA, when did you order the 08 GT500? I remember the posts from when you bought the 68, but somehow I missed 3rd addition to your stable!! Congratulations!

Somehow, based on LuLu's former employment, I think he knows what he's talkin' about here! :yup:

Not to take anything away from LULU but as a former LEO myself, I doubt you'll get any grief for having a loose piece of paper over your vin while it is legally parked. Additionally, the local sheriff's dept. openly suggests it.

Don

At least you'll have company in the nut house- mine is locked in the garage and the keys have a super secret hiding place that only I know where they are kept.

Mine's locked and covered in my locked garage with the keys locked in my coin safe! :hysterical:

Quote from ancient kings, "I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?"

Fortune favors the prepared

Dan

Archived