TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does anyone else have their hood pins come out while driving???????

One of my hood pins does not stay in as well as the other. I have the 2008 ones on order, I am hoping they will be better. In the mean time, I am thinking I can bend the ring a little so it does not flip over so easy. Anyone else have this problem?

Ever since I got replacement rings from SAI (I have S/N #384) this has not been a problem. The original rings were of thinner wire and new ones are a little thicker. Call SAI and they should send you new rings but I expect the 2008 hood pin assembly will not have this problem.

I rented a Hertz GTH while at the Shelby Birthday Bash. It had the original style hood pins and both would work loose just driving from hotel to SAI. I noticed a bunch of SGT owners at the track event, with the original style hood pins, actually taped them in place.

Ever since I got replacement rings from SAI (I have S/N #384) this has not been a problem. The original rings were of thinner wire and new ones are a little thicker. Call SAI and they should send you new rings but I expect the 2008 hood pin assembly will not have this problem.

i haved a problem with the rings staying seated in the pins this caused them to flip easaly. i fixed the problem by giving them a little pinch when they were out and it seamed to fix it. might be the source of youre issue also.

I rented a Hertz GTH while at the Shelby Birthday Bash. It had the original style hood pins and both would work loose just driving from hotel to SAI. I noticed a bunch of SGT owners at the track event, with the original style hood pins, actually taped them in place.

+1 with the car I had

i haved a problem with the rings staying seated in the pins this caused them to flip easaly. i fixed the problem by giving them a little pinch when they were out and it seamed to fix it. might be the source of youre issue also.

That is the problem, the ring flips over easy. The other one does not flip.

On the stock cables all you need do is give the cable a twist so that if provides tension in the right direction. On the 08 style the cable is on a swivel at the pin so that doesn't work but mine have never come undone.

One of my hood pins does not stay in as well as the other. I have the 2008 ones on order, I am hoping they will be better. In the mean time, I am thinking I can bend the ring a little so it does not flip over so easy. Anyone else have this problem?

I have not had this problem.

That is the problem, the ring flips over easy. The other one does not flip.

These are defective and will be replaced if you put in a warranty claim. They should have a great deal of tension and really clamp down when closed. If they flip over easy there is no tension and the rings need to be replaced. I got replacements for mine and was able to install them myself. My problem was a little different in that the ring would pop out of the hole when closed, you really had to look to see it, which caused them to flip around easy. new rings and all is well!

-Jeff

I HAVE A 08 WITH THIS PROBLEM HAD 07 WITH SAME PROBLEM BUD SENT ME NEW ONES ENDED THE PROBLEM ON THE 07 ...I NEED TO EMAIL HIM AGAIN FOR THE 08 .....

well ill have to do that also is this an issue that i have to go to the dealer and have him work with sai or can i contact them myself?

These are defective and will be replaced if you put in a warranty claim. They should have a great deal of tension and really clamp down when closed. If they flip over easy there is no tension and the rings need to be replaced. I got replacements for mine and was able to install them myself. My problem was a little different in that the ring would pop out of the hole when closed, you really had to look to see it, which caused them to flip around easy. new rings and all is well!

-Jeff

Jeff,

I just checked and I have the same problem as you. I did not notice until you mentioned it, the ring was actually popped out of the hole. I put it back in and all is well, but if I take them on and off it pops out to easy, I still want a new one because it should not do that.

Thanks,

Bill

Jeff,

I just checked and I have the same problem as you. I did not notice until you mentioned it, the ring was actually popped out of the hole. I put it back in and all is well, but if I take them on and off it pops out to easy, I still want a new one because it should not do that.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Mine did the same thing! Just have your dealer file a claim. If you put some tension on the ring, and close SLOWLY, it will often stay in but it may take a few tries and it will pop out again when ever you open it.

Good news is once I got my replacement rings all was well with the world.

BTW: the rings come with new hood plates!

;-)

Bill,

Mine did the same thing! Just have your dealer file a claim. If you put some tension on the ring, and close SLOWLY, it will often stay in but it may take a few tries and it will pop out again when ever you open it.

;-)

Good stuff, I will do so. I imagine I have to drive to the dealer to show them so it may be a while due to the weather around here. That being said, I plan on doing this prior to putting on my 2008 Pins so I have a New set of 2007's on the side.

-Jeff

This was exactly my experience too. In fact, when I first joined the old forum, it was in my sig that "factory hood pins suck".

I took my SGT to my dealer, they called SAI for a warranty claim, and new pins were sent out. They work fine. Body shop added some adjustment to hood tension against the pins, so, you have to push the hood down slightly to dislodge the pin.

Didn't have anything to do with the cable, the snap ring kept coming out of the pin. The replacement pins are good to go, problem solved.

"Shrink" your torsion ring a little with 2 sets of pliers and it will stay in and work better. They have the wrong tension.

Or do like me and get hood locks and then you don't have to worry about them. :happy feet:

-Jeff

I had one side do what yours did. Had Bud replace them, both sides at SAI when my car went back in on the Monday after the BB Bash. Warrantee covered it.

CLINK

Bill,

;-)

I also had trouble with one of my rings popping out when it was snapped shut. My dealer ordered 2 new rings from SAI and I just fixed it this weekend (takes about 5 seconds to install). There must have been a bad batch of rings that many of us ended up getting.

I'm good to go now, but I wish I got some new hood plates thrown in like Jeff! My hood plates are already scratched up a little...

Same here with my rental.

If you make sure the ends of the ring are in the holes in the pins it should make it so they lock down.

Archived