TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front License Plate in Washington

GT500Ron

I know this has been discussed nationally but I have not seen a topic on it for our region. I live in Kent, Washington.

I ask the dealer to not install the front bracket when they prepared my car for delivery. They did not seem surprised by the request so others must have ask the same thing. I have driven about 700 miles since Thanksgiving weekend with no problem from the police.

Are others in Washington owners running the front plate, or not?

I know this has been discussed nationally but I have not seen a topic on it for our region. I live in Kent, Washington.

I ask the dealer to not install the front bracket when they prepared my car for delivery. They did not seem surprised by the request so others must have ask the same thing. I have driven about 700 miles since Thanksgiving weekend with no problem from the police.

We don't have a front plate either. Always have it in the car though. We were told by a local cop that he wouldn't put one, because the front bumper doesn't have an obvious spot for the bracket.(this guy really loved the car) He also said that a young cop or a State patrol on I-90 might give you a ticket. He said it also just depends on the cop, they actually really admire the car. We have been pulled over by them to look at the car and not one has ever mentioned it.

But keep in mind with all the traffic cams trying to create revenue, they may start enforcing the front plate law. Until then, we'll take our chances. Just make sure you never drill holes in it.

I have on one the GT-H only because Hertz in Seattle put one on it and I don't want to repair the holes yet. I don't have one on my Saleen and have not put them on any of the performance cars or trucks I have bought new.

I have been stopped by WSP twice but have not gotten cited (yet). I guess it's a chance I will continue to take. Back in the day when I was writing tickets for a living (since retired) I only wrote no front plate tickets to jerks with attitudes.

An insurance guy told me the tickets don't count as moving violations so if that's true it won't affect our rates.

I am in Spokane. I have had the car since September and have 800 miles, and then a whole lot of snow. I have been scared a few times with local police, county sheriff and state patrol all carefully checking out the car as I drove by on the arterial while they were waiting for the light. I guess it was only admiration. I always carry the plate to help my defense.

I guess I will make it unanimous so far....no front plate on my SGT. Kind of sitting on the fence what I will do long term. I live in the Seattle area. I just can't bring myself to drill the holes and I don't like what it does to the look of the car. I also have the Shelby lower grill installed so some of the no drill options I've seen may not work.

The first to receive a ticket should post here.....

I guess I will make it unanimous so far....no front plate on my SGT. Kind of sitting on the fence what I will do long term. I live in the Seattle area. I just can't bring myself to drill the holes and I don't like what it does to the look of the car. I also have the Shelby lower grill installed so some of the no drill options I've seen may not work.

The first to receive a ticket should post here.....

OK, make a note to find this post if you get a ticket and let everyone know where, who and when. I don't want a ticket but I do not intend to install the front plate either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I have a 08 GT Vert and will not install front lic plate to factory holes. I will post some pictures of a bracket that you can take off and on with very VERY little hastle. Check it out.

licenseplate001.jpg

licenseplate002.jpg

licenseplate004.jpg

licenseplate005.jpg

licenseplate006.jpg

licenseplate013.jpg

I have gotten this bracket and it is very well made & very nice looking.I will post contact info in another post.

Here is the website to check out the diffrent brackets you can use if you have to. http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/purchase.html

1st picture is that they filled the holes where the front plate was to bolt to. I am getting painted on stripes

08stripes3.jpg

no more holes

GRABBER4.jpg

painted

grabberpaint15.jpg

todays picture looks very nice

aaaa2.jpg

what do you think of my Lic plate number OYEAAA

newplate.jpg

as long as you R cool with your driving the police will not bother you to much. When you start to get tickets for speeding I am sure that they will add that on to your ticket for not having a front plate. So I suggest if you plan on going out and letting your hair down you should have your front plate on.

• 2 weeks later...

I will not be running with the front plates. It would really look bad.

justus5

I will not be running with the front plates. It would really look bad.

justus5

Welcome & congrats on the new car! Bickford has been the recipient of a lot of $ from me and mine! They are great to work with but if you have not told them specifically to not put a front license plate frame you should do so immediately as they have a bad habit of doing so!

I have on one the GT-H only because Hertz in Seattle put one on it and I don't want to repair the holes yet. I don't have one on my Saleen and have not put them on any of the performance cars or trucks I have bought new.

I have been stopped by WSP twice but have not gotten cited (yet). I guess it's a chance I will continue to take. Back in the day when I was writing tickets for a living (since retired) I only wrote no front plate tickets to jerks with attitudes.

An insurance guy told me the tickets don't count as moving violations so if that's true it won't affect our rates.

Jim,

A simple way to get rid of the holes in your front bumper would be to buy some little plastic auto body plugs and paint them the color of the stripes. This could be a temporary fix untill you want to do a perminant one. I did it on our GT/CS and it looks much better than a plate. It cost me $1.

th_Misc266.jpg

th_Misc260.jpg

The lot boys have a job to do. Putting front plates on is one of them. Good luck.

I am pretty sure Bickford won't put it on without asking first. They have sold 30 to 40 of these cars and know how picky the owners are. When I picked mine up, they asked if I wanted window stickers removed and saved, shipping packaging removed, front plate installed, they even left the manuals wrapped just in case. And they made sure I got a 08 Mustang sales brochure and the recent poster of the VB from the front. I guess we do get something for our ADM :hysterical:

Jim,

A simple way to get rid of the holes in your front bumper would be to buy some little plastic auto body plugs and paint them the color of the stripes. This could be a temporary fix untill you want to do a perminant one. I did it on our GT/CS and it looks much better than a plate. It cost me $1.

th_Misc266.jpg

th_Misc260.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on removing the plates when my personal plates arrive and surveying the damage.

The brakets at craigs work great - http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/

that can be but on and taken off in seconds. I was amazed at how simple it was when I got it (although I don't have my plates yet). It clamps on a little metal strip right in front of the styrofoam part of the bumper and is very secure. And since it is so easy to remove and replace you can change you mind from day to day if you want to run with plates of without plates. It is a little pricey for what it is, but it works.

I am pretty sure Bickford won't put it on without asking first. They have sold 30 to 40 of these cars and know how picky the owners are. When I picked mine up, they asked if I wanted window stickers removed and saved, shipping packaging removed, front plate installed, they even left the manuals wrapped just in case. And they made sure I got a 08 Mustang sales brochure and the recent poster of the VB from the front. I guess we do get something for our ADM :hysterical:

It really depends on who your sales person is. If they are not totally involved in the prep of your car it can happen. It happened to us twice so don't assume anything with them. Still a very good company to work with and the owner is very supportive or SVT and Mustang car clubs in the region.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on removing the plates when my personal plates arrive and surveying the damage.

Jim,

If you try the plugs, they sell them at Ace hardware store. Note you have to cut the end off so they are only 1/4 inch long at the most or they will not go in flush. The front bumper at the screw locations is not hollow. It has a small chunk of plastic built into the back of the bumper at each screw location as backing. So you need to make sure the plug will not bottom out. I used a small dremell tool to clean out the inside of the plug location.

• 4 weeks later...

I just moved here from Jacksonville Fl and had a white GT. I just bought a Black Shelby GT. Neither of my car had front plates and never will. I've had several cop pass me and stopped at traffic light in front of me. I didn't even get a second glance from them. One cop even gave me a thumbs up.

Jim (Mustangman33)

I just moved here from Jacksonville Fl and had a white GT. I just bought a Black Shelby GT. Neither of my car had front plates and never will. I've had several cop pass me and stopped at traffic light in front of me. I didn't even get a second glance from them. One cop even gave me a thumbs up.

Jim (Mustangman33)

Welcome Jim!! Where do you and your Mustangs live? Quite a change in weather for you. Just like Florida, Washington has lots and lots of Mustangs. Catch you later.

Dave

Rob, It looks MUCH better without that front plate. Lower grille looks good and protects the radiator fins as well. I don't know why Ford didn't deal with this issue from the beginning.

Dave

I asked my dealer (Ford of Kirkland) to not install the front plate but they installed it anyway. No big deal to me as my plates say GT500. My Ford GT does not have a front plate and when my GT500 goes to Las Vegas for the Super Snake conversion later this year, I will have them remove the holes for the front plate.

• 2 years later...

Back in the day when I was writing tickets for a living (since retired) I only wrote no front plate tickets to jerks with attitudes.

I thought that quote was funny, as I've been pulled over many times but only seem to get tickets from cops who are jerks with attitudes.

As for the front plate, the law says if you aren't furnished with one for the front (as in a collector vehicle) then you don't need to run one. But your car has to be 25 years old or more I believe.

Archived