TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another new arrival

DMiller779

I,m back from a quick test ride in my new Shelby. Built on June 26 and missing several delivery dates, It arrived at the dealership at 11:ooam this morning. I got a phone call from the dealership owner and then another from the salesman within 2 minutes of each other. (both have been great) The owner personally went out to notify the transport driver to be careful of the dreaded front airdam damage during unloading. I arrived and together with a crowd of onlookers, watched him sloooowly back it off the transport with no scraping.

I paid MSRP. $44865 with my options. I got the Torch Red with LeMans stripes. Finish is very good. I traded an 05 Honda S2000 (2300miles!) so I suspected the Shelby would not impress with handling or shifting. It didn't...but I was pleased to find it very good in both departments and much more comfortable in the process. It feels extremely stable at speed and the suspension absolutely gobbled up a major pothole at 100mph. :shift: Both the service tech and I exclaimed the way the Shelby retained its composure when we hit the hole! Power remained very soft until the odometer reached 14 miles and then it unleashed itself to what felt like full power. Third gear pulls like 2nd gear! Strong! The car is very civilized and comfortable and if my short drive is any indicator...a head turner and passerby magnet of the first magnitude!

I'm gonna love this machine!

I,m back from a quick test ride in my new Shelby. Built on June 26 and missing several delivery dates, It arrived at the dealership at 11:ooam this morning. I got a phone call from the dealership owner and then another from the salesman within 2 minutes of each other. (both have been great) The owner personally went out to notify the transport driver to be careful of the dreaded front airdam damage during unloading. I arrived and together with a crowd of onlookers, watched him sloooowly back it off the transport with no scraping.

I paid MSRP. $44865 with my options. I got the Torch Red with LeMans stripes. Finish is very good. I traded an 05 Honda S2000 (2300miles!) so I suspected the Shelby would not impress with handling or shifting. It didn't...but I was pleased to find it very good in both departments and much more comfortable in the process. It feels extremely stable at speed and the suspension absolutely gobbled up a major pothole at 100mph. :shift: Both the service tech and I exclaimed the way the Shelby retained its composure when we hit the hole! Power remained very soft until the odometer reached 14 miles and then it unleashed itself to what felt like full power. Third gear pulls like 2nd gear! Strong! The car is very civilized and comfortable and if my short drive is any indicator...a head turner and passerby magnet of the first magnitude!

Good luck!!!!!! and watch those pot holes!!!!! :cheerleader:

What state are you in!!!

what state? and what dealer? please.

Gotta LOVE those cars that pull in third like they do in second.....

Congratulations. It seems like everyday at least one person on here gets theres. These are good times we are entering!

That they are. I have had this car less than 24 hours. and in my 58 years I have never seen a vehicle turn heads so readily. I went to the Honda Dealership (motorcycle) in Lake Charles yesterday and it emptied into the parking lot to check the Shelby out. Another thing I'm noticing is that the Shelby seems to cross the demographic spectrum. Male, female, young, old..they all give an enthusiastic thumbs up. I've already been stopped by 2 cops (nice guys) to check the car out. Do not get this car if you are a recluse! : )

On a more negative note, I'm already a marked man. I let my son-in-law drive it and he chirped the tires in 2nd gear right in front of an off duty state cop last night that lives near him. I was in the passenger seat but I could actually see the off duty trooper get a mental fix on the red and white Shelby. I'm sure he will be watching me very closely now! :shrug: Oh well

BTW, someone asked what state I'm in. South Louisiana. Home of the Hurricanes, the Aints, and the potholes from hell! : )

DMiller -

If you're like me, it'll get better. Quite a change from the S2000, without a doubt. Just out of curiosity, what did the Honda pull in top gear at 70? The GT500 is about 1800, I'm guessing the Honda would be 2600.

I only had a bit over 2,000 miles on the Honda so I really don't remember any performance specs. Even though they are both 6 speeds, the Shelby 6th gear really feels like overdrive. Even 5th gear on the Shelby feels somewhat like an overdrive. I find the Shelby much more forgiving when choosing the wrong gear. It has the torque to accelerate regardless. Even though the Shelby has a longer throw to the shift pattern than the S2000, I find that I prefer the Shelby shifter...maybe because the gears have a little more separation and are easier to find. Both cars stick like glue in a turn but the lighter better balanced S2000 is noticeably quicker in transition. Both cars rail around a turn with very little lean but the S2000 remains absolutely flat! The S2000 requires more shifting and is less forgiving if you choose the wrong gear. Feeling the Vtech kick in when the Honda hits about 7 grand is a hoot! However, hearing the Shelby's Supercharger whine coming in around 4500 and feeling the relentless acceleration to redline is better! and then you shift and it does it again...just as strongly! Sweeeeet! Shelby rules! :bowdown:

Congratulations!!! :happy feet: :bandance:

Was it a power lease?

:shift: Jim

No Jim, it was a straight purchase for MSRP. I don't recall Oustalet's having ever added ADM to a car's sticker price. I grew up with the dealer and the salesman that sold me the car. The present Ford dealers's father founded the dealership and warned his son against mark-ups. His Father explained to him that while you can get away with the practice in a large city, the people in a small town such as ours will remember it disfavorably...SO DON"T DO IT!"

I must say again to those waiting for their Shelbys, this is a fine car. I am about 5'8" and I find the ergonomics to be very good. Also a really good ride...exceptional for a performance car of this type. The clutch seems to require a little slipping to get smoothly underway but you get used to it quickly. Controls are intuitive and well placed. In fact, the only problem I'm having at present is that when I approach 5 grand on the tach my engine seems to get this weird little whining noise and then I feel this pressure in my chest and my eyes get blurry!! ; )

Doug

Archived