TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AMY: A Proposal: The "GT/Terlingua"

66DNA

I have a proposal, and as such, if this flies - I'd like to be one of the first on the list! .....well, maybe the first! grin.

A Problem:

Last I read, there were still several hundred 07 SGT's for sale at dealerships throughout the country; Also, the SGT owner is one of the most passionate of Shelby owners out there - and we LOVE mods!

A Solutions:

Offer a Terlingua upgrade to SGT owners! ....and to prospective owners! Read on!

Background:

1. I've been reading about the Terlingua Racing Team history and one thing that stood out to me was that most of the cars were built by Shelby as "unmarked" GT350's -

As such, I would think that an upgrade to an SGT would be very appropriate to the "spirit" of the Terlingua days. In fact, this would truly be emulating history! The SGT is as close as you get to a GT350.

2. SGT500 owners can send their cars to SAI for a 40th Anniversary upgrade as well as the Super Snake package. My proposal would provide existing and potential SGT owners with a Terlingua package upgrade that would include many of the items to be offered for the $19k package to be fitted to a V6 Mustang. Truth is, an SGT has several of the items already installed, so an unmodified SGT could get the big brake package, supercharger, Terlingua hood, graphics package (which could look killer on a white SGT as well as black!) badging, etc. and the net cost may not reach $19K - perhaps it would only be a $15K package. And for those SGT owners who have already spent money on 20" Razor rims, a supercharger, etc. - the package could be offered for even less! Leaving no one unhappy!!

PROPOSAL

SAI offers a "Terlingua Package" for the SGT.

Existing CSM number issued remains the same, with a modification: I have CSM: 07SGT0129. Following my upgrade to the Terlingua Package, I would be issued a new dash plaque and CSM No. = 07SGT0129-T (T, for Terlingua) This would only require an update to our existing Shelby Registration - which could be officially entered by SAI once the mods had been made. Easy.

Much as supercharged SGT's get new side stripes that read "GT/SC" - the side stripes of the SGT Terlingua would read: "Terlingua GT"

or "GT/Terlingua"

The Razor center caps and faux gas caps would adorn the Terlingua Rabbit, etc.

The layout of the Bill Neale graphics package would have to "preserve" the location of the existing "Powered by Ford" badge! This badge is unique to the SGT and a badge that will always preserve recognition of the car as first being an SGT!

With the above Proposal stated, I am now looking at purchasing a 2007 Shelby GT that is sitting on a local dealer's showroom. It has been sitting for months, and with FORD's rebates for 07 Mustangs - I'd pull the trigger and buy it - especially knowing that I could send her down to SAI for a "GT/Terlingua" package!

I'd keep my SGT (black with silver stripes) exactly as is....then I'd buy this white SGT, imagining it with a black-out Terlingua hood with yellow Rabbit, bold black over-the-top stripes, yellow rabbit Terlingua logo on the gas cap, Terlingua badging on the dash, Razor center caps, faux gas cap, etc. along with the balance of racing decals, etc. Superharged, big brake package, modification to the existing x-pipe exhaust to side-exhaust - and I'd have two of the coolest SGT's .....in my own garage!

I see this as a NO-Brainer - and I truly see this offering as bolstering SGT sales because of the excitement it would generate!

Let's Do it!

Introducing the: GT/Terlingua! HOLD THE PEPPERS!

Give me the word - I'll buy my second SGT and ship it down to SAI and you can experiment with the goal of creating the GT/Terlingua!

:headspin: :happy feet: :headspin:

I thought I read that there were plans for a 4.6 Terlingua off the GT (but I could be dreaming that <lol>) ...I can see your logic of it being a natural extention to the SGT, but I suspect it may have to be post-retail mod (like the SS, 40th) if it gets called an S-GT Terlingua, since I think S-GTs are actually Shelby contract builds for Ford-sale only (like the KR) -- is that correct? But I think a M-GT-based Terlingua is a natural if it goes beyond the S-GT build and it fits in the Ford-Shelby contract, with more seriously upgraded susp and engine mods. I believe the Vortech and little Whipple are already 50-state (?) certified on the 4.6 and there's certainly plenty of susp pieces available from FRP/others -- it would be very cool and I'd be surprised if it isn't already being planned in some form. ...just my gut, no inside info...

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
Todd, did you ever get any response with this?

Yes. Amy replied that this could be a possible package to offer us SGT owners!

My guess is that "time will tell"

• 2 weeks later...

+1. I too think those cars are "funny" in appearance and would not do it to any SGT. But that being said I know the history behind Terlingua and they are not cartoon cars on the track, in fact they are serious race cars. They are just funny in appearance only. They also have a "rabbit" that looks like the Ferrari badging but with a rabbit!

My 02 cents-

• 3 weeks later...

I am also NOT in favor of converting my SGT into the Terlingua. That is not to say that I don't like the Terlingua! Quite the opposite in fact. I would be more infavor of keeping the program to V6 cars as presented by Shelby last Nov. I see this as an opportunity to change the basic V6 mustang DNA into something more desirable and collectible and a lot more fun!

I have seen the Terlingua in person at Shelby in Vegas and MAN that is not a cartoon or funnly looking car in person at all. It was quite agressive looking actually! My 2006 V6 mustang might become one after seeing the final product in person. Trust me when I say that photos simply don't do it justice. You have to see this car in person to fully appreciate and understand it.

My SGT however will remain a classic 2007 SGT.

I am also NOT in favor of converting my SGT into the Terlingua. That is not to say that I don't like the Terlingua! Quite the opposite in fact. I would be more infavor of keeping the program to V6 cars as presented by Shelby last Nov. I see this as an opportunity to change the basic V6 mustang DNA into something more desirable and collectible and a lot more fun!

I have seen the Terlingua in person at Shelby in Vegas and MAN that is not a cartoon or funnly looking car in person at all. It was quite agressive looking actually! My 2006 V6 mustang might become one after seeing the final product in person. Trust me when I say that photos simply don't do it justice. You have to see this car in person to fully appreciate and understand it.

My SGT however will remain a classic 2007 SGT.

I was in Vegas and I too saw the car and I'm obviously not the target market! :hysterical:

But as they say, "a steed for every need"! :)

Archived