TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GAs strut hood lifts?

Here's a link to the catalogue pic, but I don't think this is what you are looking for. It is all I have to work with right now.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...lift%20kit.aspx

I didn't get any instructions with my Scott Drake kit, neither did I get the "rubber stops" mentioned in the catalogue. I haven't installed mine yet, but after reading the other thread here on fitment issues, I'm not encouraged to bother. Spring will tell?

I put a set of the Steeda's on both my rides. The plastic bumper is required. Do not remove both bolts on the underside of the hood. Only remove the one that does not mate up with the slot on the bracket. Then loosen the other one just enough to slide the slotted part in. It is a good idea to have your wifey or a friend help stable the hood while this is done.

If it gets away from you because you take the 2nd bolt out too far....it could be a big problem.

th_SteedaHoodstruts005.jpg

th_SteedaHoodstrutspainted001.jpg

Hi Guys and Gals,

I posted this topic then got stubborn and went into the garage and fingered it out. It went together, looks great and it works, magical. I also replaced all of the sheet metal screws with the engine dress up billet screws and washers, My wife thinks they are cute!!!!!!! Placed a few more billet items in the interior to dress it up a bit. Cup holder trim, sill stripes, lumbar trim, billet seat tilt handles, seat belt upper trim and seat control switch trim. Kept all the old parts.

Thanks for the advice,

Clink

Hi Guys and Gals,

I posted this topic then got stubborn and went into the garage and fingered it out. It went together, looks great and it works, magical. I also replaced all of the sheet metal screws with the engine dress up billet screws and washers, My wife thinks they are cute!!!!!!! Placed a few more billet items in the interior to dress it up a bit. Cup holder trim, sill stripes, lumbar trim, billet seat tilt handles, seat belt upper trim and seat control switch trim. Kept all the old parts.

Thanks for the advice,

Clink

Clink,

Did your kit come with rubber bumpers, mine didn't? Also, did you check your hood alignment on the driver's side? My hood lifts up approx. 1/4" when the hood is closed. Also, the gas struts pop-off when the hood is closed.

Maybe I have a defect in my kit? It is a very simple installation.

The Shelby struts look great but no directions. I had to refer to the picture from the catalog. Be careful, I could not get my hood to line up, afterwards. I have a large gap on the drivers side and a small one on the passengers side. Need to figure it out when it gets warmer.

The Shelby struts look great but no directions. I had to refer to the picture from the catalog. Be careful, I could not get my hood to line up, afterwards. I have a large gap on the drivers side and a small one on the passengers side. Need to figure it out when it gets warmer.

That "gap" is b/c your hood is sprung, just like mine when the hood is closed. The strut does not clear the fender channel.

That "gap" is b/c your hood is sprung, just like mine when the hood is closed. The strut does not clear the fender channel.

Maybe the Shelby struts are pushing on the underside of your hood and holding it up. That doesn't sound right. Something is not right.

I just looked at mine and the hood is flush.

th_Grabberscars019.jpg

Clink,

Did your kit come with rubber bumpers, mine didn't? Also, did you check your hood alignment on the driver's side? My hood lifts up approx. 1/4" when the hood is closed. Also, the gas struts pop-off when the hood is closed.

Maybe I have a defect in my kit? It is a very simple installation.

Hi,

No rubber bumpers, all parts are clear and not rubbing anything, and no hood lift anywhere, I had to line up the gaps on both sides that are next to the fenders and all is good.

Hi,

No rubber bumpers, all parts are clear and not rubbing anything, and no hood lift anywhere, I had to line up the gaps on both sides that are next to the fenders and all is good.

The rubber bumpers are to hold the bracket true and flat and in the correct plane on the underside of the hood because of the shape of the hood. At least that is the case with the Steeda ones. Yours must be different.

Glad you're all set Clink. Tasca did mine so they came out awesome, the hood is aligned and there are no issues.

For future, here are a bunch of pics (sorry for the blurry ones).

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Hi Adam,

Good to her from you, Thanks for all the pics, That was nice of you.

I new someone in our group from Vegas had them on thier car, just could'nt remember who it was. I am running in a SCCA event next Sunday here in San Diego. Timed laps, with no one spitting rocks at me for tailgating them. It is a Test and tune. There is a trophy event on Saturday however I'm not ready for that....someday.

Take care nd thanks again,

Clink

[;llquote name=clink' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:16 AM' post='348080]

Hi Adam,

I new someone in our group from Vegas had them on thier car, just could'nt remember who it was. I am running in a SCCA event next Sunday here in San Diego. Timed laps, with no one spitting rocks at me for tailgating them. It is a Test and tune. There is a trophy event on Saturday however I'm not ready for that....someday.

Clink

[;llquote name=clink' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:16 AM' post='348080]

Hi Adam,

Clink

i installed the gas struts on my shelby also.i did not have instructions with my kit either.the drivers side of the hood is gapped and the hood sticks up slightly also.i am totally disgusted with the look.i hope i didnt ruin my hood.you would think that there would have been instructions.if anyone knows how to correct the problem then please post. thanks

Archived