TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dyno Numbers - Baseline stock for my '08 GT 500

SteelSteeds

I did my baseline dyno pull this afternoon, and got good results.

Used a Dynojet, conditions were 55 degrees, 18% humidity, 30.14 in-Hg.

Uncorrected numbers were the highest:

Max RWHP = 455.39 Max Torque = 460.63

SAE Corrected numbers were down a little, to compensate for the low temp (I'm about 300' elevation)

Max RWHP = 429.87 Max Torque = 434.82

This was my first run of 3, the second run the hp was almost identical, with the torque down a few. The third run everything took a nosedive due to the heat soak.

The guys at this shop were impressed by the A/F ratio, thought it was right on the money. Started off a bit high at low rpm (almost 15), dropped to 12 by 3000rpm, and was nearly flat at 11.7 from 3250 all the way to 6000.

So, I'm happy with the numbers, and will be installing my JLT CAI and Evo tune this weekend.

My question is whether most people posting their numbers are using the corrected numbers? I know not everyone is, I've seen a couple of sheets with "uncorrected" noted in the corner. I'd imagine people are posting whichever is higher? I knew that the low temp was going to benefit my results. I was hoping that this subforum would have one posting with a bunch of results, for comparison sake. Listing of people's stock numbers, Stage 1, etc. Any thoughts on that?

Lance,

all depends on what the corrected numbers were I think.

Seems to me those posting abnormally high numbers are uncorrected numbers.

Normal SAE corrected numbers are as follows:

JLT / Evo tune 490-510 SAE (I've seen 487 and 523, but most are in the window stated)

JLT / 2.6 / Evo tune 525-535 SAE ( those posting 550-560 I'm willing to bet are uncorrected)

Base lining your car was a great idea. 429 RWHP is good, a little on the lower side of average of what we have seen, but good none the less.

Keep in mind to get a true and accurate gain of any part you would need to do the before and after the same day, but this will give you a very good idea and let you know all is well.

Keep us impromed if you do dyno again.

Have fun with it.

Jay

SAE is the right way to post the numbers, some shops may post STD or uncorrected numbers because they show much higher power. This is fine, as long as you reference SAE at the same time.

For example, my car recently made 697RWHP SAE, it was over 732RWHP uncorrected though, which means at that moment and in those fantastic conditions it was making a lot of power. SAE is a better comparison for guys on the internet though, due to the vast difference in conditions.

• 2 months later...

Well, I FINALLY got around to getting my car on the dyno again. It's been 3 months since the baseline, and I've had the JLT intake and tune installed for almost that long. As expected, the numbers were good:

Dynojet dyno (same one as last test), 72 degrees, 27% humidity and 30.60 in-Hg.

Uncorrected numbers:

Max RWHP = 507.87 Max RWTQ = 486.72

SAE Corrected:

Max RWHP = 482.89 Max RWTQ = 461.95

A/F ratio very good, dropping under 13 at around 3250, and staying completely flat at just over 12 from 3500 to redline.

Interestingly, on this run heat soak was a complete non-issue. In fact, my best run of the three was the last one! Two thoughts on that: my motor was probably a bit warm to start with. I didn't have the luxury of a long cool down (I had to get back to work), so I would probably have seen even better numbers if it had had more than 15 minutes to cool. My other thought, mentioned by one of the techs, is that the CAI may be alleviating some of the problem. Either way, good numbers!

Another interesting thing, to me, is that the SAE correction on this one seems to be almost exactly the same HP number, so percentage wise it was less of a hit. Maybe the higher temperature had something to do with that.

I hope to get those headers on soon, and do a third dyno run sometime after that.

• 3 months later...
Well, I FINALLY got around to getting my car on the dyno again. It's been 3 months since the baseline, and I've had the JLT intake and tune installed for almost that long. As expected, the numbers were good:

Dynojet dyno (same one as last test), 72 degrees, 27% humidity and 30.60 in-Hg.

Uncorrected numbers:

Max RWHP = 507.87 Max RWTQ = 486.72

SAE Corrected:

Max RWHP = 482.89 Max RWTQ = 461.95

A/F ratio very good, dropping under 13 at around 3250, and staying completely flat at just over 12 from 3500 to redline.

Interestingly, on this run heat soak was a complete non-issue. In fact, my best run of the three was the last one! Two thoughts on that: my motor was probably a bit warm to start with. I didn't have the luxury of a long cool down (I had to get back to work), so I would probably have seen even better numbers if it had had more than 15 minutes to cool. My other thought, mentioned by one of the techs, is that the CAI may be alleviating some of the problem. Either way, good numbers!

Another interesting thing, to me, is that the SAE correction on this one seems to be almost exactly the same HP number, so percentage wise it was less of a hit. Maybe the higher temperature had something to do with that.

I hope to get those headers on soon, and do a third dyno run sometime after that.

Your heat soak issues have to do with ford's very conservative settings for triggering catalytic converter overtemp protection, and the exhaust valve and o2 sensor protection modeling. Basically, at an inferred temperature calc (around 1650F) the ford computer richens up the fuel mixture to cool down the exhaust components and this robs power. so heat soak while stock will trigger this pretty quickly. Most tuners dial this back some, some tuners even eliminate all together. The good tuners only dial it back for safety as Ford put it in there for a reason. great numbers and it looks like your car really responded well to the evo tune. I bet the car is much nicer to drive around and more responsive even at part throttle.

Your heat soak issues have to do with ford's very conservative settings for triggering catalytic converter overtemp protection, and the exhaust valve and o2 sensor protection modeling. Basically, at an inferred temperature calc (around 1650F) the ford computer richens up the fuel mixture to cool down the exhaust components and this robs power. so heat soak while stock will trigger this pretty quickly. Most tuners dial this back some, some tuners even eliminate all together. The good tuners only dial it back for safety as Ford put it in there for a reason. great numbers and it looks like your car really responded well to the evo tune. I bet the car is much nicer to drive around and more responsive even at part throttle.

During a 10 sec dyno pull, the cat temp model is almost never an issue, even on a loaded dyno on a warm day, it takes some sustained WOT action of 15+ sec to trigger it, in my experience.

Archived