TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Been Challenged Yet?

Big_Slick737

Probably most fun race I had I wasn't driving. Went to lunch with a couple of buddys one afternoon. I'm pretty good about letting other people drive my car so I let my buddy drive. As we're sitting at a light wanting to turn left onto a highway we see the guy ahead of us looking back at us. He has a chopped top mid 30's steet rod. The tires I swear are 2 feet wide and he's got what looks like a huge polished 671 sticking out. The left arrow turns green so we can pull out onto the highway he pulls to the right lane and maintains maybe 15 mph. My buddy takes left lane and rolls right along side him. Needless to say, I was a bit intimidated with that big motor sticking out and those huge tires ... plus my buddys kind of a mediocre driver. Anyway, with no indication from one another they both pound it to the floor like they had the light tree in front of them. We had a pretty ideal amount of wheel spin because we took of like a bat outta hell. We maintained a slight gradual pull from him right from the start. We ended up taking him by a total of about 1 1/2 car lengths up to about 80-90 mph. My buddy did a great job, he revved it just a tad over 6K rpms on the two shifts. Afterward I asked him if he was watching the tach, he said "hell no, I was just driving". Anyway, guy gave a nod and turned off out the next light.

I have had a number of other races, it's usually a joke because it's usually a couple of ricers wanting to take me on ... probably just to the what it can do.

Actually what I have noticed when driving my GT500 is that the majority of really expensive cars that really do go fast have enough sense on a street with other cars not to have a interest in racing one another .. sorta like mutual respect.

+1

Seems like the cars in the league of ours know that the street isn't the place to settle it. That's what the drags are for. It's usually the ricers that want to pick a fight. Funny how I seldom see them show up at the drags to settle it like men! Ricer or american made, I have respect for anyone who comes to the drags and puts their cars to the test in a controlled environment where they aren't going to kill some innocent bystander. What I don't respect is fools who think that being an idiot in the middle of traffic makes them a badass. I enjoy a little fun, like going heads up from a stoplight to about 50-60, but then I shut it down so as to avoid doing something I'll regret. It's annoying that just because the other guy is stupid enough to keep accellerating, he thinks he beat me!

What I really enjoy is seeing someone else in a nice ride (Roush 427, Z06, etc) and giving that mutual nod of approval and the thumbs up! No race needed, just mutual respect.

Last week I ended up at a light next to a new WRX STI. My 2008 GT 500 is bone stock complete with the standard "Wheel Hopp" Feature. I get a little excited and over rev on launch and get all out of shape. Buy the time I hit second the STI was way down the road.

Anyway I am not a street racer and would not encourage street racing in any way. Please take it to the track. It is just very hard not to give in to the temtation of trying to jump another fast car off the line. The 2007 2008 GT 500 with stock rear end set up is not a good tool for this job. At least for a novice like me.

Sorry I was unable to make us proud.

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI

Price: $35,000

Curb weight: 3300 lb

Engine:

Type: Alum. block & heads, turbo flat-4

Valves: 4-valves/cyl

Horsepower: est 320 bhp @ 6000 rpm

Performance:

0–60 mph: est 4.5 sec

0–1320 ft (¼ mile): est 12.5 sec

Ron,

First of all thanks for being honest!

I'm sure there are many of us here who have also lost a race but don't care to comment about it.

There is nothing wrong with losing a race, there is always someone with a faster car.

On the streets you can never tell what is under the hood of another car.

The Subaru Impreza WRX STI is a much lighter car than the Shelby GT500 and also equipped with AWD (all wheel drive)!

You just can't get out of the hole fast enough with a stock GT500. I know many of you think you can, but I have watched many of these cars where it is so far ahead of the other vehicle at the light that it is rarely caught.

I've got one for all of you. As many of you know, I gave my son a GT500 for Christmas. Shortly after Christmas, I took him for a ride to go over the clutch and tranny and was talking to him about it in the car and a Dodge Ram pickup, a diesel, came up beside me on the highway and started revving his engine. Black clouds of smoke were billowing out his tail pipe. At this point my son is laughing and asking me what this guy was doing. I proceeded to tell my son that this is exactly what's going to happen to him when he drives the car. Man, I really wanted to plant the pedal and really show this turkey, but I kept my cool and told my son that everybody, I mean EVERYBODY is going to be doing that to you. Most of them just want to see what you can do. I told him that if he tried to race everybody that would want to race him, he would end up with several tickets in his first week of driving the car. I really tried to be a good role model, but boy was it hard. Oh well!

Never try to run a Toyota Supra 93-98. Most of these cars are running 800hp+++ and normally run low 10's in street trim. There are a handfull of 1200hp street mosters that run 9's all day and some in the mid 8's. They also love to run from a roll of 60mph to 180 mph. Most motorcylces can't keep up with them.

I've got one for all of you. As many of you know, I gave my son a GT500 for Christmas. Shortly after Christmas, I took him for a ride to go over the clutch and tranny and was talking to him about it in the car and a Dodge Ram pickup, a diesel, came up beside me on the highway and started revving his engine. Black clouds of smoke were billowing out his tail pipe. At this point my son is laughing and asking me what this guy was doing. I proceeded to tell my son that this is exactly what's going to happen to him when he drives the car. Man, I really wanted to plant the pedal and really show this turkey, but I kept my cool and told my son that everybody, I mean EVERYBODY is going to be doing that to you. Most of them just want to see what you can do. I told him that if he tried to race everybody that would want to race him, he would end up with several tickets in his first week of driving the car. I really tried to be a good role model, but boy was it hard. Oh well!

Good Job on restraining Your urge to pounce !!! And a Very Good Lesson taught. :happy feet:

Never try to run a Toyota Supra 93-98. Most of these cars are running 800hp+++ and normally run low 10's in street trim. There are a handfull of 1200hp street mosters that run 9's all day and some in the mid 8's. They also love to run from a roll of 60mph to 180 mph. Most motorcylces can't keep up with them.

You are talking about a car that has been modified from a Toyota 3.0L 2JZ-GTE. I don't know of any Toyota Supras that are running 800hp straight from the factory.

Engine Modifications: TMS Intake Manifold, Greddy T78 Turbo Kit, TMS Cam Gears, TMS Fuel System w/850cc injectors, Greddy 4-row intercooler, HKS DLI Fluidyne Radiator, Nitrous, & more (Engine Management: Titan-Motec PnP Greddy Pofec B boost controler Greddy Management).

I can put the same modifications on a Ford Shelby GT500 and get the same results!

Don't care much for the looks and will gladly keep my Shelby even if it is slower. ;)

Toyota%20Supra%2093-98%20-%20td3000%20complete%20kit2.jpg

HEY! I had a bad day today, also. Seems like quite a few did.

Anyways, I'm in the Shelby GT500 rolling down the street (this is after my 3.4 Whipple install and 650 rwhp on the dyno) on a beautiful afternoon and I'm with my girl. We are having a great cruise and a wonderful afternoon.

As I'm pulling up to an intersection(a red light), I notice a beautiful, new Mercedes-Benz 2 door black convertible. As I pull up on the left side of the convertible I see the huge AMG wheels, AMG brakes and the CLK63 AMG badge on the back. This car is beautiful, it's jet black and through the tinted windows I can see the guy inside, he looks over at me, and smiles with his sunglasses on and I think "great, he sees me in my GT500, with my girl, and he's not going to let me go first."

Well, the light turns green and he takes OFF!! This guy was GONE!

However I was ready for him and I took off hard also in 1st gear. Well, as hard as I could without just melting the rear tires, anyway.

Once I get the rpm's up enough in 1st gear I quick shift to second and MASH THE GAS the rear tires light up but I modulate the throttle and I'm reeling him in HARD!! Once I get beside him I just PLANT THE THROTTLE TO THE FLOOR and I fly by him with my rear tires on fire!

I look in my rearview mirror and all I see is his little black car waaaayyyy back there and a whole bunch of white smoke from my tires!!

It was awesome! By now I'm coasting back down to speed and I'm laughing so hard I'm practically crying. :D

He rolls up beside me, sees me laughing and gives me a HUGE ear-to-ear teeth smile as I flash him the peace sign.

My girl laughs and says "so is that what the Whipple you've been talking about does? That's awesome!"

What a GREAT day!

:D

Great story Mr. Whipple! :happy feet: And to think he probably paid at least a $20k PREMIUM for that little peace symbol on his hood! :hysterical:

I admire your resolve. But don't laugh at the diesel. Some of them running around with 1000+ RWHP and the bad ones pour black smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

Not many. Most people just want to see what it has, so if no Long Arm of the Law is around, I'll give them a little off the line show. Now that I have the Intake and Tune going, I just like to do the off the line thing, 2nd & 3rd just sound SOOOOO Sano :drop: .

I did have a Porche race by me and I let him go and when he was a bit away, I dropped the hammer and reeled him in :dog: . When I got behind him, he just moved over and waved.

+1

Seems like the cars in the league of ours know that the street isn't the place to settle it. That's what the drags are for. It's usually the ricers that want to pick a fight. Funny how I seldom see them show up at the drags to settle it like men! Ricer or american made, I have respect for anyone who comes to the drags and puts their cars to the test in a controlled environment where they aren't going to kill some innocent bystander. What I don't respect is fools who think that being an idiot in the middle of traffic makes them a badass. I enjoy a little fun, like going heads up from a stoplight to about 50-60, but then I shut it down so as to avoid doing something I'll regret. It's annoying that just because the other guy is stupid enough to keep accellerating, he thinks he beat me!

What I really enjoy is seeing someone else in a nice ride (Roush 427, Z06, etc) and giving that mutual nod of approval and the thumbs up! No race needed, just mutual respect.

+1

The owner of the Co. I work for has an 05 Viper we were out after my stage 2 and had the opportunity to nail it a few times at about a 40mph roll I let off around 100mph each time and made sure he saw my brake lights flash each time. I have drag radials so traction with 2nd gear stomp was no problem. The next morning at work in the break room I was doing a little (ok a lot) of bragging and all he could say was he wasn't trying and as of this post he has declined any and all invitations to do it again or better yet, go to the track for a 1/4 mi. run. :banvictory::banvictory::banvictory:

The owner of the Co. I work for has an 05 Viper we were out after my stage 2 and had the opportunity to nail it a few times at about a 40mph roll I let off around 100mph each time and made sure he saw my brake lights flash each time. I have drag radials so traction with 2nd gear stomp was no problem. The next morning at work in the break room I was doing a little (ok a lot) of bragging and all he could say was he wasn't trying and as of this post he has declined any and all invitations to do it again or better yet, go to the track for a 1/4 mi. run. :banvictory::banvictory::banvictory:

Hey, I'll be the first bidder on your car when you get fired. :hysterical2: You should always sandbag when you race the boss! :superhero:

Many 1000hp killers around my area. They wont race from a dig though.

Noteable kills: Beat a two C6s Vettes, a new M5 and a new modded M6

Heres a Vid of the almighty M6 that was suposed to be so unbeatable Ha Ha GT500 > BMW M6

My only losses have been from 2 Whippled (and then some) Terminators and 1 Honda Civic.? Dont ask........... :waiting:

If your fast enough, you can actually take second to 80 before you get next to the limiter, but at 75 third is good....I was in Fresno, ca visiting my father, and had just pulled up to a red light on a three lane road when next to a z06 pulls up to my left, we just smiled at each other and were anticipating the green, when out of nowhere, a police car pulls up on my right.....Dang it.....o'well, I have had fun with lots of other cars, but try to keep it on the track

Archived