TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Been Challenged Yet?

Big_Slick737

Well I had my first Challenge on my commute home from work one night last week. Some might say it wasnt much of a challenge but I took it up anyway. Being that Im a Rookie with all this HP. :superhero:

Cruising home on the HWY in 6th at 75mph. A little Suped up Street Racing Ricer starts to pass me in the left lane then realized what he was passing apparently. He slowed down and drove with my side by side trying to get me to go. I didnt bite at first. Got behind him and saw all his mods decal advertisement, and realized he had nitrus onboard. Or was it just a decal hmmmmm ????

So he pulls in the center lane and he slows down forcing me along side him inthe left lane... with nothing but OPEN HWY in front of us. He REALLY wants me to run with him.. So What the HEY...

He starts jocking like he is ready to go.. So he takes off and the time it take me to drop down from 6th to 5th.. at 70mph and he jumps out in front by half a length... I was very slow with this down shift cuz I wanted to try and Rev Match my RPMs, and I acutally got a nice smooth down shift out of it.. Then Like a ROCKET im by him in a flash and putting him in my rearview mirror quickly. :hysterical2::hysterical2: then shift to 6th. I look down and im doing 135. :hysterical:

I proved my point by this time and he was 6 lengths behind me. But looked again and he was realing me in FAST and im doing 135mph. But I was done and let off the gas and started coasting as he went flying by.

Anyway that was my FIRST challenge.... and story hope you guys enjoyed it.. I KNOW I DID.. :hysterical:

Well I had my first Challenge on my commute home from work one night last week. Some might say it wasnt much of a challenge but I took it up anyway. Being that Im a Rookie with all this HP. :superhero:

Cruising home on the HWY in 6th at 75mph. A little Suped up Street Racing Ricer starts to pass me in the left lane then realized what he was passing apparently. He slowed down and drove with my side by side trying to get me to go. I didnt bite at first. Got behind him and saw all his mods decal advertisement, and realized he had nitrus onboard. Or was it just a decal hmmmmm ????

So he pulls in the center lane and he slows down forcing me along side him inthe left lane... with nothing but OPEN HWY in front of us. He REALLY wants me to run with him.. So What the HEY...

He starts jocking like he is ready to go.. So he takes off and the time it take me to drop down from 6th to 5th.. at 70mph and he jumps out in front by half a length... I was very slow with this down shift cuz I wanted to try and Rev Match my RPMs, and I acutally got a nice smooth down shift out of it.. Then Like a ROCKET im by him in a flash and putting him in my rearview mirror quickly. :hysterical2::hysterical2: then shift to 6th. I look down and im doing 135. :hysterical:

I proved my point by this time and he was 6 lengths behind me. But looked again and he was realing me in FAST and im doing 135mph. But I was done and let off the gas and started coasting as he went flying by.

Anyway that was my FIRST challenge.... and story hope you guys enjoyed it.. I KNOW I DID.. :hysterical:

Sounds fun 'Slick, but stay safe!!!!

If you ever run up against Real competition, you might try 3rd gear at that speed, though.... :headspin:

Sounds fun 'Slick, but stay safe!!!!

If you ever run up against Real competition, you might try 3rd gear at that speed, though.... :headspin:

Yeah I was thinking 4th would have definately been better.. That is me being VERY NEW !!!! I Knew 5th was

safe and pretty sure 4th was safe to down shift into. But Really 3rd ?

WILL DO ALWAYS SAFE.. woudnt have done it if the HWY wasnt completely empty and nothing for miles out in front, and knew that part of the HWY was smooth and not bumpy, since i drive it going home every night after work.

Next time you're at 70 - downshift to 3rd and really take him out! You'll be in the sweet spot and the SC will love you for it. :happy feet:

Yeah i know you guys know what your talking about.. Yeah will have to hit it down to 3rd.

As fast as he was coming up on me when i was letting off im guessing he got into that bottle a bit

to try and make up some ground :hysterical:

My first challenge was by a Subaru WRX. I was out for my regular Saturday drive when I noitice this WRX several cars ahead of me at the light. When the light changes, several cars turn off and at the next light we end up side by side. I'm trying to talk myself out of racing him while waiting on the light to change when I hear him rev his rice up through his coffee cans. It's on now. When the light changed we both hit it. This guy changed gears 3 times while I'm in first! Once I hit second it was a done deal. :shift: I ran second out and realized that I was pushing 90 and he was 2 blocks behind me. :banvictory::banvictory::banvictory: The :devil: made me do it.

Mustang GT thought his car was tough shit at a red light. He was shifting out of second gear when I was shifting into second. At that point (45-50mph) I was 2 car lengths ahead of him. After second gear, he was gone. Wasn't much of a race. I do have a guy with a supercharged 04 Cobra who wants to race me before I get the Super Snake Package, but I'm not about to drive to Alabama just to race him.

Was Hoping to hear some other folks storys.... Anyone... Anyone... Anyone.... Bueller ??? :hysterical2:

I can't remember but I think 3rd topped out at 100-110.

I had a crouch rocket pull up next to me a couple of weeks ago. Temp was 30! Cold!

Also had open highway, dropped to 3rd and he started falling behind from the start.

110 he was 5 car lengths back - 140 I could barely see him! Must have been a 600cc.

I don't think my car could keep up with my 1200cc Vmax with the boost controller I installed.

I've been challenged several times in the 03 Cobra and don't think that will change much with the GT 500. GT's mostly, some modded some stock, just not any problem. The best was a late model Vet going up the on ramp, we make the sweeping turn onto the ramp (Centerpoint Parkway to 59 south for you B-Ham guys) and I see his tail wiggle, I'm in second and nail it, he is on it hard too, just ate him up by the time we are at the top of the ramp and had to brake hard to avoid running up his butt! I was at about 120 at the time I had to brake. I do admit I try to avoid those "go directly to jail, do not pass go" situations but some times some folks just need to be spanked!

Slick,

I'm not much of a racer but here's a short list of my encounters:

3 - Dodge Charger RT's (no contest)

1 - Dodge Charger SRT 8 (I only got ahead because I was a better driver I think, he was really fast)

1 - Pontiac GTO

2 - Ricers

2 or 3 - Different mustangs

1 - Volkswagen Passat (you are reading tha correctly)

Glad you're enjoying your car though.

Take care and be safe.

CB

Newer Pontiac GTO with minor mods:

Short race from stoplight to stoplight. I pulled him maybe 1 1/2 cars in a short amount of time.

03-04 Stock Cobra Vert:

Pulled him by two cars and in a fairly short distance from a stoplight dig.

Mustang Mach with mods:

Driving west on Hwy 40/64 thru St.louis and a Mach pulls along the side of me with loud exhaust and the woman in the passenger seat has her phone out taking pics or video. The Mach down shifts and starts to slow, I then did the same down to third. The Mach hits it and starts to pull. I then nailed it and the SC starts to scream and It just starts to pull, one, two, three car lengths. The next week I join a Local Mustang forum and the Mach owner is posting how he got killed by a Shelby passing thru St.Louis. He stated that all he heard was the SC whine and the Shelby just pulled away. It was like an honor to get killed by Shelby....

Next time you're at 70 - downshift to 3rd and really take him out! You'll be in the sweet spot and the SC will love you for it. :happy feet:

Ok I thought it was just me, at first.

Then I realized it was the shifter.

When I down shift mine seem to go into 3rd without trying. I have to move the shifter into 5th or 4th on a down shit. Its almost like I have to make it do something it doesn't want to do.

If I just shift it without though it almost always into 3rd.

About 99 percent of the time it is a nice smooth easy downshift into 3rd.

Am I missing something here or just losing it?

Raced a newer style vett ... had the ZR badges on it but you could tell by the hood that it wasnt a ZR .. beautiful car though ... no contest .... 553 rwhp and 410 gears won out ....

Was only for a short distance and once i hit the speed limit I stopped ... @ 55 mph : :rockon:

always respect mr policeman

Slick,

1 - Dodge Charger SRT 8 (I only got ahead because I was a better driver I think, he was really fast)

1 - Pontiac GTO

2 - Ricers

Take care and be safe.

CB

Nice List there Kyle... and A PASSAT LOL are you kidding me too funny :hysterical:

Ok I thought it was just me, at first.

Then I realized it was the shifter.

When I down shift mine seem to go into 3rd without trying. I have to move the shifter into 5th or 4th on a down shit. Its almost like I have to make it do something it doesn't want to do.

If I just shift it without though it almost always into 3rd.

About 99 percent of the time it is a nice smooth easy downshift into 3rd.

Am I missing something here or just losing it?

Dont think your losing it... When Im downshifting from 6 to 5th I have to pay close attention or your right very easily slips right into 3rd hehehe

Newer Pontiac GTO with minor mods:

Short race from stoplight to stoplight. I pulled him maybe 1 1/2 cars in a short amount of time.

03-04 Stock Cobra Vert:

Pulled him by two cars and in a fairly short distance from a stoplight dig.

Mustang Mach with mods:

Driving west on Hwy 40/64 thru St.louis and a Mach pulls along the side of me with loud exhaust and the woman in the passenger seat has her phone out taking pics or video. The Mach down shifts and starts to slow, I then did the same down to third. The Mach hits it and starts to pull. I then nailed it and the SC starts to scream and It just starts to pull, one, two, three car lengths. The next week I join a Local Mustang forum and the Mach owner is posting how he got killed by a Shelby passing thru St.Louis. He stated that all he heard was the SC whine and the Shelby just pulled away. It was like an honor to get killed by Shelby....

I think your right..that is why we get challenged...

Great Stories everyone.. Keep em coming :-) :happy feet: :happy feet:

They are putting me in a better mood... BAD DAY VERY BAD DAY TODAY !!! :banghead::banghead:

Compare various stock cars to your heart's content without having to race on the street. :)

"Know thy competition"

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

Thats an interesting link but, the old car magazine tests were about worthless. The manufacturers beefed up the cars before they go to the rags. Ive only been challanged once in my Saleen by an older camaro with a death wish, the whine of a V1T generally disuades people from trying. But, I cant wait till the Shelby comes in. With the lower hoursepower, it should be a joy to drive and maybe Ill get a chance to spank a few ;)

Slick,

1 - Pontiac GTO

2 - Ricers

Take care and be safe.

CB

What is it with Volkswagen's? I had a chick in a yellow turbo beetle vigorously try to catch up to me at a light, and then race me on the freeway on-ramp. What's with that?

Regards,

I think your right..that is why we get challenged...

Great Stories everyone.. Keep em coming :-) :happy feet: :happy feet:

They are putting me in a better mood... BAD DAY VERY BAD DAY TODAY !!! :banghead::banghead:

HEY! I had a bad day today, also. Seems like quite a few did.

Anyways, I'm in the Shelby GT500 rolling down the street (this is after my 3.4 Whipple install and 650 rwhp on the dyno) on a beautiful afternoon and I'm with my girl. We are having a great cruise and a wonderful afternoon.

As I'm pulling up to an intersection(a red light), I notice a beautiful, new Mercedes-Benz 2 door black convertible. As I pull up on the left side of the convertible I see the huge AMG wheels, AMG brakes and the CLK63 AMG badge on the back. This car is beautiful, it's jet black and through the tinted windows I can see the guy inside, he looks over at me, and smiles with his sunglasses on and I think "great, he sees me in my GT500, with my girl, and he's not going to let me go first."

Well, the light turns green and he takes OFF!! This guy was GONE!

However I was ready for him and I took off hard also in 1st gear. Well, as hard as I could without just melting the rear tires, anyway.

Once I get the rpm's up enough in 1st gear I quick shift to second and MASH THE GAS the rear tires light up but I modulate the throttle and I'm reeling him in HARD!! Once I get beside him I just PLANT THE THROTTLE TO THE FLOOR and I fly by him with my rear tires on fire!

I look in my rearview mirror and all I see is his little black car waaaayyyy back there and a whole bunch of white smoke from my tires!!

It was awesome! By now I'm coasting back down to speed and I'm laughing so hard I'm practically crying. :D

He rolls up beside me, sees me laughing and gives me a HUGE ear-to-ear teeth smile as I flash him the peace sign.

My girl laughs and says "so is that what the Whipple you've been talking about does? That's awesome!"

What a GREAT day!

:D

Lots of challengers. most don't expect to win... they just want to see what all the hype is about

The only (street legal) car I have lost to is one of those Damn Subaru's at the 1/4 track....turbo with NOS... weighs about 3000#.... and AWD (i believe). don't underestimate those little turds! :banghead:

I do not recommend getting cocky. GT500 is fast but there are lots of surprises out there.

Remember this statement when you are out there on the track/street:

"there is a ________ out there that is faster than my GT500"

any one of us (i don't care how fast your GT500 is or what mods you have) could fill in almost any type of car in the blank and the statement would be true.... VW beetle, dodge neon, Jeep grand Cherokee.... I don't care. There is always a car faster than yours. make sure you have the inside scoop before you get in a pissing contest with anyone.

not much to challenge me yet...spanked a vette, and some fast and furious 4 banger that thought he was fast...

Although I will say I had fun with some punk in a mustang and his two friends.

He was in front of me, but didnt see me, and I passed by when we turned onto the hwy. It is a three lane hwy but at the outskirts of town is a traffic light. It is the last light before wide open freeway, and I got caugfht in the right lane. He pulled up next to me and started spinning his rear tires just a bit. Im thinking this is a joke, and Im just gonna ignore him, but the light turned and he takes off and I sit there for about a full 2 seconds before I hit it. By the time I hit 100, he is 3 car lengths behind me...of course I have to be careful not to get caught being foolish. Over 100 in texas is automatic jail and impound, and racing is a felony here now too.

Lots of challengers. most don't expect to win... they just want to see what all the hype is about

The only (street legal) car I have lost to is one of those Damn Subaru's at the 1/4 track....turbo with NOS... weighs about 3000#.... and AWD (i believe). don't underestimate those little turds! :banghead:

I do not recommend getting cocky. GT500 is fast but there are lots of surprises out there.

Remember this statement when you are out there on the track/street:

"there is a ________ out there that is faster than my GT500"

any one of us (i don't care how fast your GT500 is or what mods you have) could fill in almost any type of car in the blank and the statement would be true.... VW beetle, dodge neon, Jeep grand Cherokee.... I don't care. There is always a car faster than yours. make sure you have the inside scoop before you get in a pissing contest with anyone.

Last week I ended up at a light next to a new WRX STI. My 2008 GT 500 is bone stock complete with the standard "Wheel Hopp" Feature. I get a little excited and over rev on launch and get all out of shape. Buy the time I hit second the STI was way down the road. My car settles down a little bit so I hit second and am all out of shape again. By that point the STI owner was posting his little story about how he took a new Shelby GT 500 owner to school with a little $30,000 2.5 turbo charged AWD ricer.

I know these cars are fast because I own a 2002 WRX with the 2.0 turbo charged boxer engine. It will run with my 1968 Dodge Charger RT 440 but there is no way it would run with the Shelby unless I screwed up like with the STI.

I just don't seem to be able to launch my car without encountering wheel hop. If I hit it rolling at about 30 MPH I get some wheel spin but can control the wheel hop.

Anyway I am not a street racer and would not encourage street racing in any way. Please take it to the track. It is just very hard not to give in to the temtation of trying to jump another fast car off the line. The 2007 2008 GT 500 with stock rear end set up is not a good tool for this job. At least for a novice like me.

Sorry I was unable to make us proud.

As I'm pulling up to an intersection(a red light), I notice a beautiful, new Mercedes-Benz 2 door black convertible. As I pull up on the left side of the convertible I see the huge AMG wheels, AMG brakes and the CLK63 AMG badge on the back. This car is beautiful, it's jet black and through the tinted windows I can see the guy inside, he looks over at me, and smiles with his sunglasses on and I think "great, he sees me in my GT500, with my girl, and he's not going to let me go first."

Well, the light turns green and he takes OFF!! This guy was GONE!

:D

I had a similar experience with an MB. I rolled up to an intersection alongside a beautiful Mercedes roadster. I didn't get to see the exact model, but it did have side vents on the front fender. I think it was a SL550 or SL600. I don't think it was an AMG. I looked over at him but he wouldn't look my way. Anyway, I had no intention of racing, but when he heard my exhaust he must have thought I was going. Anyway, he hits it and is two cars ahead before I said "what the hell!" However, just beyond the intersection there was a bump that sent me into wheel hop. I reeled him to about 1/2 car before he let off. I passed then slowed down but he wouldn't pull beside me again. I think his wife (or girlfriend) was tearing him a new one. :hysterical: Anyway, it's not much of a race when one of the drivers decides when to start without communicating with the other...

I have a KB stage 3 on my car. Off the top of my head here are a few...

New GTO - 500+RWHP - pulled him immediately from about 20MPH

Vette - not sure what year but newer - pulled him immediately from 75MPH roll

Viper - played with one after a cruise in. Could not get beside him but stayed on his tail up to about 120.

Several motor cycles - I love to play with these guys. Unless it is a formidable crotch rocket most are floored that I can stay with them.

AC Cobra - LA to Vegas run - Started at about 80 and pulled on him steady up to about 130MPH. The guy talked to me later when we were filling up with gas and said he was amazed. He had a built 351W in the car. He told me he was thinking about selling his Cobra now to get one of these.

The only loss I have had was to a Vette with 250 shot of nitros and unknown other mods - lost unfortunately by .002 at the drag strip (11.43 ET). Funnest race of my life though. Neither of us could tell who won until we got our slips.

Need better traction off the line to get good respect a the track and from a standing start...

Actually what I have noticed when driving my GT500 is that the majority of really expensive cars that really do go fast have enough sense on a street with other cars not to have a interest in racing one another .. sorta like mutual respect.

What I also notice is the rice burners that add a 5" tip exhaust that must be good for at least a 1000 hp ... come by u revving there engines thinking there stock 89 civic with the only mod being that 1000 hp 5" exhaust tip .... zooming by u as they rev there engine when next to you... is the baddest car on the planet ... prob the fastest too

that and old pickup trucks ... get alot of those too :hysterical2:

Last week I ended up at a light next to a new WRX STI. My 2008 GT 500 is bone stock complete with the standard "Wheel Hopp" Feature. I get a little excited and over rev on launch and get all out of shape. Buy the time I hit second the STI was way down the road. My car settles down a little bit so I hit second and am all out of shape again. By that point the STI owner was posting his little story about how he took a new Shelby GT 500 owner to school with a little $30,000 2.5 turbo charged AWD ricer.

I know these cars are fast because I own a 2002 WRX with the 2.0 turbo charged boxer engine. It will run with my 1968 Dodge Charger RT 440 but there is no way it would run with the Shelby unless I screwed up like with the STI.

I just don't seem to be able to launch my car without encountering wheel hop. If I hit it rolling at about 30 MPH I get some wheel spin but can control the wheel hop.

Anyway I am not a street racer and would not encourage street racing in any way. Please take it to the track. It is just very hard not to give in to the temtation of trying to jump another fast car off the line. The 2007 2008 GT 500 with stock rear end set up is not a good tool for this job. At least for a novice like me.

Sorry I was unable to make us proud.

Ron-

I feel your pain, man.

the subaru I lost to at the track was definitely NOT stock. I spoke with the guy afterwards. His turbo was pulling about 20psi and had nitrous as well. I don't think that the subaru's will pose a problem when they are stock.

I had issues with wheel hop as well. there are a number of threads out there regarding wheel hop. all i can tell you is that I installed Steeda LCA's and it went away. a cheap fix and makes your car much quicker out of the hole and (more importantly) safer. only took about an hour to do in my garage with a floor jack. I recommend.

Ron

Archived