TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm thinking...

LuLu

My daily driver (DD) is a '92 Olsmobile Toronado Trofeo, pearl white (a very sweet "old school" genuine pearl paint) with 118,000 miles. FWD with the 3800 V6 engine, and a dash array right out of the Space Shuttle. Boy-oh-boy, we loved to push buttons before a launch back then, but I digress.

I'm feeling a need for some updating here, like buying a new suit just to keep up with the latest fashions?

So, I'm debating buying a '05 (and up) Mustang with a V6 and manual tranny. Did Ford make any? They seem scarce right now.

I'm not that partial to color, or, features, just looking at what it's going to cost me. Features and color are open until I begin to narrow down "the usual suspects". As long as it has the basic features, I'm game.

I plan to mod the snot out of it anyway, some appearance stuff, and some performance stuff. I know there is a lot of options out there in the aftermarket, from suspension to superchargers, even NAV. But, should I?

I didn't buy the '03-'04 SVT Cobra I wanted, because it was a b*tch getting in and out from behind the wheel. OTOH, I've lost 74+ pounds of body weight since then too, and my SGT is a perfect fit today.

What do y'all think? Any suggestions?

Well when faced with a similar dlimma recently I went this way.

scion1.jpg

Now don't laugh to hard, its averaging 30+ mile to the gallon and hauls 4 adults comfortably and its enough fun to drive I can't get the wife out of it lol

Lulu-Trofeos are things you should keep to yourself haha :D You know if a guy was gonna mod it anyway why not an x-rental car on the cheap, its my rental car of choice v-6 stick stang.

Wado-My suv type thing is a diesel scout, great for snow, it's my dorkmobile with plaid seats and all.

revans-It has a "biodiesel" bumpersticker on it and an averge of over 22 mpg how I drive it. I maybe use one tank of petroleium diesel a year, soybeans rule!

Besides Lulu- I thought SGT's were for daily driving haha :D

Funny I never knew the name of the Gas station attendant till I bought the SGT...But it's still hard to pronounce his name. :)

Ahh the good old days when there were gas station attendants :) We are self serve in Washington :(

LULU. Go with the V-6/Stick Stang. Maybe make a Roush or Saleen clone, Mod the snot out of it so when you meet up with a real one you can whip their a#@ at half the price! That would put a BIG GRIN on you and a :angry: on them. Sounds like fun to me :D

P.S. Nothing against the competitors, they're just not Shelby's

Well you could even go the High HP four cylinder route too...... Until I got the SGT I had an 04 Dodge SRT-4 that thing was quick for a 4 banger, slight mods and was about 300HP and 320 ft lbs or torque. I was able to get over 30 mpg on the highway and it was still a 4 door so I could haul people. If your set on a mustang watch for some good deals on a GT, there are tons of em used on dealer lots around me. I almost got a fully loaded 07 GT/CS for 26K with 600 miles (traded for a Shelby......) that is before seeing the SGT!

I'm not understanding why you don't just get a Mustang GT w/ a V8. Apparently money is not the issue if youre planning to mod the V6. The fuel mileage is not much different, it that's the concern. Having a GT and an SGT would be very cool.

I'm not understanding why you don't just get a Mustang GT w/ a V8. Apparently money is not the issue if youre planning to mod the V6. The fuel mileage is not much different, it that's the concern. Having a GT and an SGT would be very cool.

I know a guy with a manual 07 GT White w/a Glassback top for sale. Not sure of the price but I dont think hes asking much. Wish I had the money to make it a DD instead of my Cobalt.

scion1.jpg

Now don't laugh to hard, its averaging 30+ mile to the gallon and hauls 4 adults comfortably and its enough fun to drive I can't get the wife out of it lol

keep it

Funny I never knew the name of the Gas station attendant till I bought the SGT...But it's still hard to pronounce his name. :)

If your GSA's are like our GSA's I guarantee the FBI knows their name! :rolleyes:

I was really surprised how roomy those 08 Scions were when I was looking at them at last years auto show.

I even took a pic of one that was all riced out.

If your GSA's are like our GSA's I guarantee the FBI knows their name! :rolleyes:

I was really surprised how roomy those 08 Scions were when I was looking at them at last years auto show.

I even took a pic of one that was all riced out.

Funny as hell I looked at them when they were new and the sales guy kept telling me to get in the back seat I'm like WTH dude but I finally got in the back and he got in the front and ran his seat all the way back. I still had tons of room I was impressed I hadn't had anything that seated 4 that comfortable well maybe ever lol

scion1.jpg

So when you're not roasting the tires in the SGT, you're toasting the family in the...toaster?

Serisously, though, not bad. I half way like their coupe (Sc?) myself. On the fuel mileage front, with an '04 F-150 SCrew 5.4 as my "daily driver", I'm more than a little jealous...

So when you're not roasting the tires in the SGT, you're toasting the family in the...toaster?

Serisously, though, not bad. I half way like their coupe (Sc?) myself. On the fuel mileage front, with an '04 F-150 SCrew 5.4 as my "daily driver", I'm more than a little jealous...

Yeah we have a Titan 5.6 that was our family hauler, hauling kids to all their practices and games was killing me.

Thanks for all the input and advice gents, it is all greatly appreciated.

I think something struck my fancy when I was reviewing the '08 Bullitt, the "plain Jane" appeal. The car is sweet, but I also "binged" on watching the film again and I chewed on that. In the film, the car is the second lead, and it fits Mc Queen's character, Lt. Frank Bullitt. Quiet, subdued, always thinking, listening, watching, always ready, and very deadly when poked at. If we could write a "backstory", Lt. Bullitt was a Marine. "Hoo-yaah"

I was in my late teens when I first watched this film at the theater, and today, I am closing on a 1 Feb. '08 retirement date from 30+ years as a LEO, 18 years in supervisory management. I believe Lt. Bullitt had some influence in a few of the LEO decisions I had to make as a real LEO. Shut up, listen, collect, and decide.

Back to the car...I like this approach very much myself, but I'm not even thinking of shopping for an '08 Bullitt. Just not in the cards financially, but I can build my own Mustang in that style, and still drive it evey day.

This is why I decided to look for the plain Jane '05 and up Mustang with as few features as possible, just a manual tranny. This is why I don't care about features or color, I can even consider a salvage title, because I'm planning on tearing it apart and starting from the ground up. I may keep the six, lots of options out there, but maybe not. Don't know more until I bring one home.

Thanks for your help and advice, my hunt continues.

Happy motoring!

I'd like to buy a plain jane just so i could do one myself, I'm partial to that 70 boss 302 ram air look.

One of our brothers here has done exactly that, replicated the feel of a '70s Mach I from a stock GT, even down to the rear window treatment and shaker hood. Very nice. Then he sent me some pics. Glenn?

Meanwhile, a lot of my desire and energy comes from these pics, I hope Glenn will post them here. A very nice treatment, and retro look.

Wado...Send me you e-mail addy via SergntMac@aol.com and I will FWD this .zip file of pics, they are too large to post here.

My daily driver (DD) is a '92 Olsmobile Toronado Trofeo, pearl white (a very sweet "old school" genuine pearl paint) with 118,000 miles. FWD with the 3800 V6 engine, and a dash array right out of the Space Shuttle. Boy-oh-boy, we loved to push buttons before a launch back then, but I digress.

I'm feeling a need for some updating here, like buying a new suit just to keep up with the latest fashions?

So, I'm debating buying a '05 (and up) Mustang with a V6 and manual tranny. Did Ford make any? They seem scarce right now.

I'm not that partial to color, or, features, just looking at what it's going to cost me. Features and color are open until I begin to narrow down "the usual suspects". As long as it has the basic features, I'm game.

I plan to mod the snot out of it anyway, some appearance stuff, and some performance stuff. I know there is a lot of options out there in the aftermarket, from suspension to superchargers, even NAV. But, should I?

I didn't buy the '03-'04 SVT Cobra I wanted, because it was a b*tch getting in and out from behind the wheel. OTOH, I've lost 74+ pounds of body weight since then too, and my SGT is a perfect fit today.

What do y'all think? Any suggestions?

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-sedan/ :)

OR

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?mo...ommand=overview :P

OR

:lol:

LuLu, with all due respect its "ooh-rah"

"hoo-yaah" i believe is reserved for those nasty army guys n gals. ;)

Correction noted, thank you. Wouldn't want to pizz off any jar head, worked for a Gunny for six years and he could get real mean. Never really left the Corps (none of them do), just changed payrolls.

Can you Please explain "nasty army guys n gals"

Army 85 to 92

Revans,

There was no offense meant by that. I use that as on ongoing joke between my bro, whos currently deployed to Iraqistan in the army, and I, who was in the Corps. He calls me brainwashed and I call him nasty. Matter of fact we even intruduce each other that way. People look at us funny when we say "here is my nasty brother" or "here is my brainwashed brother". Kind of funny I guess.

I truly respect all branches that serve our beloved country, even the Air Force. The AF is the only one I even have a bit of dislike for, and I guess thats only jealousy because that has got to be the best job in times of deployment as well as when countryside.

And If anyone knows what IYAOYAS is let me know.

Semper Fi

Hey I can get that!

I drove my 07 GT from Seattle to Maryland and then back to San Diego. I got 30+MPG with the cruise on at 70-75 MPH. Then again I am running 87 octane and mine only has a 3.31 rear in it. City driving is completely different though.

You can get good mileage out of the GT.

Gib

Archived