TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Shelby GT alignment

I see your point.. again, BUT, there are over 5000 SGT's on the road (well, 5000 made).

What about the people that don't ever put them on jacks to check things, or the people who bought them because they are cool? You think everyone wants to be buying tires at 10k miles because "the car handles well?"

The only "handling" my car does 90% of the time is going down the 15 freeway.. I see no reason for it to have an excessive amount of negative camber.

Also, it seems that quite a few SGT's have 20" rims; 20" tires are NOT $80.. :o

How many folks are actually having this as a problem? I am not that I know of, I can see the camber, but I am not worried about it.

The peope who bought them beacause they were cool were right they are cool. But like all the full leather wearing HD newbies, in the last 10 years I'd bet the majority will find something else cool in awhile anyway.

I can think of other new vehicles that eat rubber even faster. Not to be a tool or anything and I respect your thoughts but IMO its part of the deal, performance does not equal long tire life. Especially if you do as the Shelby additional manual says and "drive" it. I think that the 66 GT350 had alot of complaints too about it's "daily driver" nusiances, noise etc... when it was new too.

But that said, you could still take it to the dealer and get the "fix" if you want in the form of adj. plates right?

Either way maybe I am wrong any suspension experts out there?

Do not understand why Shelby did not do align on cars, when my GLHS was modified by Shelby in 1987 they did an alignment on every car . Is this a cost cutting measure on these cars, I like the car but side by side I will keep my M3 BMW not sure about Shelby I keep my 60s Shelbys because they are worth someting this car I just do not know.

Do not understand why Shelby did not do align on cars, when my GLHS was modified by Shelby in 1987 they did an alignment on every car . Is this a cost cutting measure on these cars, I like the car but side by side I will keep my M3 BMW not sure about Shelby I keep my 60s Shelbys because they are worth someting this car I just do not know.

:lol:

Not to get too far away from the subject, but how is everyone rotating their tires? Yourself or the dealer? If you are doing it yourself without a lift then how? Also is tire rotation covered by the factory warranty? What about lifts at most tire dealerships...should we completely trust those with our cars?

Sorry for bombing in with so many questions at once and pardon my newbizm but I've never had to do maintenance on a car this low.

Not to get too far away from the subject, but how is everyone rotating their tires?

Since there is no spare to include in a traditional rotation pattern, exchanging front for rear is best. Check your side wall for directional arrows, the stock BFG may be directional, but I don't believe they are.

Yourself or the dealer? If you are doing it yourself without a lift then how? Also is tire rotation covered by the factory warranty?

Rotation is not a warranty issue, and the book says rotate at 10,000 miles. But, you may be able to squeeze it in with another repair, depends on how well you get along with your service department.

In light of this (and other discussions) about alignment, I suggest sooner, maybe 5,000 miles. Can't hurt, right? You can DIY with a couple of jack stands, should take no more than 1/2 hour each side. Torque the lug nuts to 100 ft.lb.

What about lifts at most tire dealerships...should we completely trust those with our cars?...I've never had to do maintenance on a car this low.

No problem...Sure...Why not? The SGT may sit low, but it's not as low as a 'Vette and other sports cars. You can bet your life that if selling tires is their business, they will get it in the air, and safely too.

Front and rear tires are different size. I asked my service guy that same question and I dont recall what his answer was. I will have to ask again. I know they didnt rotate them though.

Hmmm...I missed something here. My SGT has 235/50-18s on all four corners, but I think the GT 500 has staggered sizes.

Don't know the size, but I've had this staggered setup before and it's a PITA. You can rotate left to right only, and if you are having wear issues on the inside of the tire, the only way to salvage the tire is to dismount it and flip it, again with attention to directional treads. Then there re-balancing, and alignment recheck, which started the problem to begin with! Royal PITA...

My SGT has 7000 miles on it and very little tire wear. I dunno maybe SAI got lucky and didn't mess up my alignment. I think I'm going to try to stretch it to 10,000 miles before rotation and see how that goes.

I would like to do it myself, but I'm afraid to jack up one side of the car. I'll have to look under the car and see if there is a good place to put the jack. When/If I get to that point and do it myself, then I'll post some pics.

Can we do this on the stock rims? I might consider going this way when I get new tires. That rear accented stance looks killer.

Yes, easy enough to stuff more meat under the car.

The stock SGT wheels are 8.5" wide and they can safely handle up to a 265 wide tire. You can push over that, but this not my advice.

When sidewalls get pinched and stretched, they seperate from the tread and blow out. But, a 265 wide tire in the rear can be very appealing, and offer improved performance as well. Maybe this is enough to set aside concerns for rotation offering longevity. Your choice, play now, but pay later.

So my wife and I had an opprotunity to have a cocktail with a great friend who is a very respected Ferrari/Porsche wrench with lots of experience with modified Ferrari/Porsche sports/racing cars as well. I asked about the camber plates, suspension and tire wear issues....

He said it is a common problem on lowered cars and some guys spend major coin to correct. He also verified that more camber makes better response and handling on a track. His final word of advice was and I quote "if you want alot of miles out of your tires drive a Honda, the tires last forever, and if your not needing new rubber by 10-15k you got the wrong car, I would'nt worry about it"

Funny guy eh? :D

I checked my front treadI do have some cupping...

He really smiles on the 1500 dollar distributor cap though :D

• 3 years later...

The installation instructions for the FRPP struts say " Step 4: Use the supplied cam bolts and nuts to assemble with the desired camber".

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/in...htM-18000-A.pdf

So If I have trouble with wear, I'm going to take a copy of this to my dealer.

It's now time to put the Razors on, but I need to get a real bad camber problem taken care of.

Has anyone verified that the attached Ford Racing instructions work in place of (or the same as) camber plates/bolts?

Is the referenced bolt really there.

I'm finding more and more I need to know as much as possible before I take it to someone. No room to work in my garage, or I'd take it apart myself.

• 2 weeks later...

i have 12k on my tires and just had them rotated for the 1st time. the tires that were on the front have inner tread wear on the very edge of the tread. it is pretty worn on that very edge. i thought they rotated them once before but they havent. i guess they didnt notice it till this time around. its my daily driver

i'm fixin to have adjustable shocks put on (for different reasons) then i will have them to realign everything after that. i may go with the camber plates later on.

does ford racing have camber plates available?

For some reason, I can't seem to find the Ford Racing plates. They were made by Steeda, which are readily available. They offer a little bit of camber adjustment.

dt3340.jpg

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/dt3340.html?___store=default

For easy caster and camber adjustment, a true adjustable upper mount is better. Maximum Motorsports make these nice pieces.

9ac54486c7e35b30c3d3f0c650703a6f.image.500x304.JPG

http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximum-motorsports-caster-camber-plates-05-07.html?utm_content=maximum-motorsports-caster-camber-plates-05-07&utm_campaign=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

For some reason, I can't seem to find the Ford Racing plates. They were made by Steeda, which are readily available. They offer a little bit of camber adjustment.

dt3340.jpg

http://www.blueovali...__store=default

For easy caster and camber adjustment, a true adjustable upper mount is better. Maximum Motorsports make these nice pieces.

9ac54486c7e35b30c3d3f0c650703a6f.image.500x304.JPG

http://www.americanm...medium=Shopping

heck, for only $30 more i'll just get the Maximun Motorsports. does it come in pairs or do i need to order 2?

• 2 years later...

you cant do a 4 wheel alighment lol , we have a solid rear axle , 2nd u don't need to go buy specs cause the ford gt specs don't meet out specs anyways , u need to find a good aligment shop , the one I use is Garys Aligment on grand Ave in Franklin Park ! He know his shit , rear panhard bar is a waste of money , the car is dropped a 1 1/2 just like as if it was loaded with passengers and people, caster camber plates are also not needed on SGT , ur wateing ur money , just find a good front end guy , rotate ur tires and keep ur tires inflated , also , I purchased Shelbys transmission cooler scoop , they have them installed on the new Boss mustangs, they said easy install , just remove the pencl bar that's there alreay and use the bolts and install, well guess what , the bar was missing they did not install it, unreal !!!! U guys better check and see if urs is on there !

you cant do a 4 wheel alighment lol , we have a solid rear axle , 2nd u don't need to go buy specs cause the ford gt specs don't meet out specs anyways , u need to find a good aligment shop , the one I use is Garys Aligment on grand Ave in Franklin Park ! He know his shit , rear panhard bar is a waste of money , the car is dropped a 1 1/2 just like as if it was loaded with passengers and people, caster camber plates are also not needed on SGT , ur wateing ur money , just find a good front end guy , rotate ur tires and keep ur tires inflated , also , I purchased Shelbys transmission cooler scoop , they have them installed on the new Boss mustangs, they said easy install , just remove the pencl bar that's there alreay and use the bolts and install, well guess what , the bar was missing they did not install it, unreal !!!! U guys better check and see if urs is on there !

The SGT did not come with a K member brace.

Archived