TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Shelby GT alignment

I took my 07 Shelby gt in for a Tire rotation and oil change to find that the Front inner tread was GONE, I rotate every 3K so the Fronts have about 6K on them now give or take total the car has around 10K on it. The dealer put it on the alignment machine to find every spec in the RED, I noticed at the frst tire rotation the Front tires where cupped really bad and said something to the service writer. he made a note and told me to keep an eye on them. Well after 6 calls to Ford and SAI, Ford made the call to replace all 4 tires. and installe camber kits in the front, My question is, are the Shelby GT's put on an alignment machine after the lowering springs are installed? and if not why? I have had my car for about a year, and evey one I have seen looks to have massive -camber, and mine was toed out bad in the front as well.

I just thought I would let all you SGt owners know so you can keep on eye on your tires as 18 inch tires aren't cheap. Let them fix it before it get bad, and hopefull the new 08's don't have this issue as I have my eye on a Blue one at our local dealership. The 07 os the wife's car.

My question is, are the Shelby GT's put on an alignment machine after the lowering springs are installed? and if not why?

I had this exact same conversation with a person in-the-know and without getting anyone into trouble your exact question nearly word-for-word was stated as fact. My car has this problem.

For you guys following my situation, allow me to insert a bit of jacka$$ on my part. Apparently my wife rotated the tires front to rear at 7000 miles before I had them rotated again at 10,000 miles and I had forgot she had this done. Apparently the place she used did not catch the damage. The problem on my car is in the front.

I took my 07 Shelby gt in for a Tire rotation and oil change to find that the Front inner tread was GONE, I rotate every 3K so the Fronts have about 6K on them now give or take total the car has around 10K on it. The dealer put it on the alignment machine to find every spec in the RED, I noticed at the frst tire rotation the Front tires where cupped really bad and said something to the service writer. he made a note and told me to keep an eye on them. Well after 6 calls to Ford and SAI, Ford made the call to replace all 4 tires. and installe camber kits in the front, My question is, are the Shelby GT's put on an alignment machine after the lowering springs are installed? and if not why? I have had my car for about a year, and evey one I have seen looks to have massive -camber, and mine was toed out bad in the front as well.

I just thought I would let all you SGt owners know so you can keep on eye on your tires as 18 inch tires aren't cheap. Let them fix it before it get bad, and hopefull the new 08's don't have this issue as I have my eye on a Blue one at our local dealership. The 07 os the wife's car.

The other day when I was changing my oil I noticed some cupping on the front tires.. :huh: hmmm..

My car has almost 5000 miles on it.. I sure as heck dont want to replace tires anytime soon.

I've always wondered if Shelby aligns the cars after the suspension install.. the wheels do not look perfectly aligned.. hmm..

I cannot recall where I heard this, must have been a telephone exhange with a brother SGT owner, since I don't know any other '05 and up Mustange owners. Anyway, the 411 was "no, the SGT is not aligned after suspension upgrades".

This baffles me to no end. Just taking down the front suspension for any misc. repairs on any automobile dictates an alignment check as necessary for a job done right. Add to that, lowering the suspension 1.5" as it is on the SGT, is simply not responsible wrenching.

I really hope I am wrong on this 411, but it should be covered by warranty if you're under 10K. I have half a dozen "key words" on tap that will help FMC to pay the tab. E-me?

Meanwhile, my advice to all here is rotate and align at 5K miles, it's good preventive maintenence anyway, needed or not. My Lulu is down for her winter nap, but her first doctor's appointment in the spring is with my favorite rack shop.

Note to CHOPPERS; Steve, if you had that engine out for more than 48 hours, put alignment check on you "to do" list, and I have just the guy for you.

I cannot recall where I heard this, must have been a telephone exhange with a brother SGT owner, since I don't know any other '05 and up Mustange owners. Anyway, the 411 was "no, the SGT is not aligned after suspension upgrades".

This baffles me to no end. Just taking down the front suspension for any misc. repairs on any automobile dictates an alignment check as necessary for a job done right. Add to that, lowering the suspension 1.5" as it is on the SGT, is simply not responsible wrenching.

I really hope I am wrong on this 411, but it should be covered by warranty if you're under 10K. I have half a dozen "key words" on tap that will help FMC to pay the tab. E-me?

Meanwhile, my advice to all here is rotate and align at 5K miles, it's good preventive maintenence anyway, needed or not. My Lulu is down for her winter nap, but her first doctor's appointment in the spring is with my favorite rack shop.

Note to CHOPPERS; Steve, if you had that engine out for more than 48 hours, put alignment check on you "to do" list, and I have just the guy for you.

I DEFINITLY WILL, I JUST INSTALLED NEW 20" RAZORS WITH NEW 255/35ZR/20 TIRES. LET ME KNOW WHO???

I STARTED IT LAST NIGHT, RUNS PERFECT, SLIGHT RUMBLE FROM THE HI-PO CAMS, MADE AN APPT FOR FRIDAY WITH A DYNO GUY ON 191ST IN MOKENA.

What are people recommending for alignment? I just talked to Steeda, I like them because they are actively racing there products. They said from -1.5 to -2.0 on camber and 0 to 1/6 toe out to eliminate understeer. These specs were for agressive street and autocross. They said the Toe could adversely affect tire wear.

I DEFINITLY WILL, I JUST INSTALLED NEW 20" RAZORS WITH NEW 255/35ZR/20 TIRES. LET ME KNOW WHO???

I STARTED IT LAST NIGHT, RUNS PERFECT, SLIGHT RUMBLE FROM THE HI-PO CAMS, MADE AN APPT FOR FRIDAY WITH A DYNO GUY ON 191ST IN MOKENA.

You're best frame alignment in the area, is WilRae. 9200 S. Harlem Ave, Bridgeview. 708.599.0900. It's on the west side of Harlem Ave, just north of the 95th street interchange. Look for a Culbers on the east side of Harlem, and then look west. Can't miss it.

These guys are the best in the area. They can/will do 4 wheel alignments and also not damage your wheels with needle mounted racks. They will let some air out of the tire, mount the racks into the bead, and re-inflate, no extra charge. Their work is dead nuts on and they are not shy of performance cars. I've been going to them for over 20 years.

Dyno...You are heading out to vist Mike Lopez at High Speed Performance? If so, good man, the best. He's the man who introduced me to WilRae, and he's built some awesome stuff for me.

What time Friday, I'll try and hook up with you there. If I can't make it, just tell him "Mac" says hello.

You're best frame alignment in the area, is WilRae. 9200 S. Harlem Ave, Bridgeview. 708.599.0900. It's on the west side of Harlem Ave, just north of the 95th street interchange. Look for a Culbers on the east side of Harlem, and then look west. Can't miss it.

These guys are the best in the area. They can/will do 4 wheel alignments and also not damage your wheels with needle mounted racks. They will let some air out of the tire, mount the racks into the bead, and re-inflate, no extra charge. Their work is dead nuts on and they are not shy of performance cars. I've been going to them for over 20 years.

Dyno...You are heading out to vist Mike Lopez at High Speed Performance? If so, good man, the best. He's the man who introduced me to WilRae, and he's built some awesome stuff for me.

What time Friday, I'll try and hook up with you there. If I can't make it, just tell him "Mac" says hello.

YES, IT IS MIKE, AND YES, I GREW UP IN BRIDGEVIEW, I KNOW THEM WELL, THEY ARE JUST SO EXPENSIVE. I SHOULD BE DROPPING THE CAR OFF AT LUNCHTIME, I WORK RIGHT DOWN THE STREET FROM HIM.

What are people recommending for alignment? I just talked to Steeda, I like them because they are actively racing there products. They said from -1.5 to -2.0 on camber and 0 to 1/6 toe out to eliminate understeer. These specs were for agressive street and autocross. They said the Toe could adversely affect tire wear.

Every car will be different, and I can't add much here. I sold all my alignment detail with my last Marauder.

But, I know there's a lot that can be said about alignment, and like superchargers and such, most of it comes down to personal taste. I don't wish to get into that with you, thanks.

In more specifically vague terms, if y'all are routinely into road course/autocross driving, there are some alignment settings that can improve handling and response on track day. However, I am cautious about giving out numbers because they cause extreme tire wear as it has been discussed here. This wear is not suitable for most SGT owners at large, who just like hitting the twisties on a back road every once-in-a-while on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

In a general sense, a sports oriented alignment would leave the front tires somewhat "pidgeon-toed". I can't describe this graphically and this is an exaggeration, but it would look like this. "LF tire/......\RF tire".

Neat setup for handling, but very hard on tires, so, if you're not into this style of driving on a regular basis, stay away. Severe cupping, feathering and vibration at highway cruising speed are just a few of the side-effects of such an aggressive alignment.

IMHO, the best alignment for the SGT is "dead nuts straight ahead" with balanced PSI on all four corners, and let the suspension and tires do the sweating in the corners. Overall, the tires will deliver their best "wear and tear" in this mode, and in concert with road force balancing, you'll love the highway drives. Even those well over 100 MPH...Ummm...In case you're late for work?

YES, IT IS MIKE, AND YES, I GREW UP IN BRIDGEVIEW, I KNOW THEM WELL, THEY ARE JUST SO EXPENSIVE. I SHOULD BE DROPPING THE CAR OFF AT LUNCHTIME, I WORK RIGHT DOWN THE STREET FROM HIM.

Wow..."Six degrees of separation" again, eh?

Do you know Larry Guido? MirrorLook? 76th and Octavia? The "Spiderman?" bike?

Larry's my business partner in our Legends race cars.

Small world, eh?

Will try to catch up with you Friday, but I don't know when you eat lunch...LOL!

I think this is a bad situation for all of us, My tires had a little over 10K and 2 of them where bald on the isnide, Ford recommende replacing them all. I am happy they installed camber kits, and got it all in the Green. But for the price we all paid, they should have better quality controls in place.

I understand this is a semi mass produced car, but I read how they can turn them out really fast, maybe they need to slow the production process down and concentrate on quality a little more. I too am on my 2nd hood scoop, and it is no better than the First one. The fron edge is still unpainted black, (my car is white) but rather than complain at my Ford dealer I just live with it.

My dealership has been a huge help with my shelby issues, As for the hood scoop, In my opinion, we should be offered a Full Hood with the Scoop molded in the hood just like the originals where, or a real aluminum scoop like on the Cobras. If you have any friende with SGT's tell them to take it to get the alignment done, when they see it can't be done corectly, the dealership will have to fix it, and keep you from buying tires after 11K miles.

I think this is a bad situation for all of us, My tires had a little over 10K and 2 of them where bald on the isnide, Ford recommende replacing them all. I am happy they installed camber kits, and got it all in the Green. But for the price we all paid, they should have better quality controls in place.

I understand this is a semi mass produced car, but I read how they can turn them out really fast, maybe they need to slow the production process down and concentrate on quality a little more. I too am on my 2nd hood scoop, and it is no better than the First one. The fron edge is still unpainted black, (my car is white) but rather than complain at my Ford dealer I just live with it.

My dealership has been a huge help with my shelby issues, As for the hood scoop, In my opinion, we should be offered a Full Hood with the Scoop molded in the hood just like the originals where, or a real aluminum scoop like on the Cobras. If you have any friende with SGT's tell them to take it to get the alignment done, when they see it can't be done corectly, the dealership will have to fix it, and keep you from buying tires after 11K miles.

It really is a pretty sad state of affairs. We are paying a huge permium for a Shelby and the mystic is about powerful great handling cars. I can't believe they aren't even properly set up.

If somebody wants to search for it I posted in another thread an alignment of my car with the before, results and specifications. My front's were and are at -1.5.

So.. SAI.. forget the faux gas cap.. Now I want an alignment! :blink:

What is going to happen when I try to get my car aligned and it cannot be done without camber plates? :(

So.. SAI.. forget the faux gas cap.. Now I want an alignment! :blink:

What is going to happen when I try to get my car aligned and it cannot be done without camber plates? :(

Folks: 1.5degrees negative camber is probably near the extreme for a stock Mustang GT, but is not out of line for a lowered car. I checked my 1638 and it gives me -1.5 degrees negative LF/RF and 1/16 total toe in. Totally stock straight from SAI. If your car is running toe out, that will definitely contribute to extreme inside tire wear. NOT recommended for daily street use.

For a street car, I agree with LuLu. Toe in, "pidgeon toed" slightly is reasonable. If you are setting up for road racing or autocross, depending on the tires you run you might want to add slight toe *out*. This gives much better turn in to the corners. Wado, it does not eliminate understeer, just helps turn in. But this will tear the crap out of your tires on the street very quickly.

Anybody out there remember the Acura NSX? it would eat a set of tires in 5-10K miles, because it was set up to turn on a dime and for road course handling. Nature of the beast.

You have several options if you find excessive tire wear upfront. Light up the rear more often to even the wear, corner harder/faster to wear the outside of the fronts (these are said in jest please!) or install camber plates to straighten up the fronts. Note that camber plates can be installed to add even more negative camber as well if you are really serious about road racing!

Regards,

Todd csm1638

One other note. The order the alignment is done is important. A good shop should know this.

Caster impacts Camber, Camber impacts Toe. Toe is the last thing that gets set. So when you see guys racking on their camber plates at autox events it means they either have a good handle, based on measuring and experience, how much and in what direction toe changes when they muck with camber, or they are clueless.

It's entirely possible that SAI knew (or Ford) from experience with these FRPP/SGT suspension pieces that just slapping them on and lowering, that most Mustangs would be ok wrt alignment. Some may be off if the tolerances coming off the assembly line were too close to the specs/limits. Just a guess here but it would explain why SAI did dnot check alignment after installing the suspension kits.

Todd

csm1638

Will FOMOCO check our alighnment for free under warranty?

Folks: 1.5degrees negative camber is probably near the extreme for a stock Mustang GT, but is not out of line for a lowered car. I checked my 1638 and it gives me -1.5 degrees negative LF/RF and 1/16 total toe in. Totally stock straight from SAI. If your car is running toe out, that will definitely contribute to extreme inside tire wear. NOT recommended for daily street use.

For a street car, I agree with LuLu. Toe in, "pidgeon toed" slightly is reasonable. If you are setting up for road racing or autocross, depending on the tires you run you might want to add slight toe *out*. This gives much better turn in to the corners. Wado, it does not eliminate understeer, just helps turn in. But this will tear the crap out of your tires on the street very quickly.

Anybody out there remember the Acura NSX? it would eat a set of tires in 5-10K miles, because it was set up to turn on a dime and for road course handling. Nature of the beast.

You have several options if you find excessive tire wear upfront. Light up the rear more often to even the wear, corner harder/faster to wear the outside of the fronts (these are said in jest please!) or install camber plates to straighten up the fronts. Note that camber plates can be installed to add even more negative camber as well if you are really serious about road racing!

Regards,

Todd csm1638

One other note. The order the alignment is done is important. A good shop should know this.

Caster impacts Camber, Camber impacts Toe. Toe is the last thing that gets set. So when you see guys racking on their camber plates at autox events it means they either have a good handle, based on measuring and experience, how much and in what direction toe changes when they muck with camber, or they are clueless.

It's entirely possible that SAI knew (or Ford) from experience with these FRPP/SGT suspension pieces that just slapping them on and lowering, that most Mustangs would be ok wrt alignment. Some may be off if the tolerances coming off the assembly line were too close to the specs/limits. Just a guess here but it would explain why SAI did dnot check alignment after installing the suspension kits.

Todd

csm1638

The stuff I'm reading says that the -1.5 camber is good for traction and about where I think I want to be, is that not correct? I think I'm going with 0 toe, good for turn in but can wander grab rutts in the road but in my experience worth it. In Washington our roads have a crown and they typically pull the right wheel in a bit to try and make your car track straight the last car I did I had a tough time getting them to set it to my spec. I don't think people that are looking for performance want to set it up to stock GT specs.

Ok..here is an update:

I called Shelby and spoke with Bud. He has not heard of the issue and said the suspension kit is "pre-aligned" and ready to install from Ford Racing...

This makes sense, I suppose..

So, I called the dealership from which I bought my car, and they are going to check the alignment and align the car if it needs it.. Supposedly, it won't cost me anything because I bought it there and the car is less than a year old, with less than 12000 miles.. Awesome! :D

I am dropping the car off tomorrow morning... and yes, I will keep track of the mileage and have the service adviser make note of the mileage as well..

Anything else I should let them know before giving them the keys.. Any more tips to make sure my car will be returned in one piece? :rolleyes:

Ok..here is an update:

I called Shelby and spoke with Bud. He has not heard of the issue and said the suspension kit is "pre-aligned" and ready to install from Ford Racing...

This makes sense, I suppose..

So, I called the dealership from which I bought my car, and they are going to check the alignment and align the car if it needs it.. Supposedly, it won't cost me anything because I bought it there and the car is less than a year old, with less than 12000 miles.. Awesome! :D

I am dropping the car off tomorrow morning... and yes, I will keep track of the mileage and have the service adviser make note of the mileage as well..

Anything else I should let them know before giving them the keys.. Any more tips to make sure my car will be returned in one piece? :rolleyes:

"Pre-aligned from FRP" sounds fishy to me. You can't take down any front suspension on any automobile without affecting alignment, period. To suggest that a front suspension component(s) is "pre-aligned" is mechanical nonsense. Instructions may include new numbers for a alignment rack dial-in, but nothing is "pre-aligned". Just doesn't happen that way.

My 2007 FRP catalogue doesn't show any caster/camber kits for the '05-'08 frame. It offers kits the '79-'89, '90-'93, and '94-'04 frames, but nothing for the '05-'08 frame other than a strut tower brace. My FRP catalogue may be out of date, so, I won't argue this 411 further.

However, my 2008 SPP catalogue (page 17) offers strut/camber adjusters (5S3Z-3B226-8-SL) for the '05-'08 frame, for 200 bucks a pair. The note suggests that excessive tire wear and "alignment walking" may occur from suspension modifications, and this kit is an answer for the problem. I wonder about this.

Offering us this adjustment tends to say that adjustments may be necessary, but remain optional. If so, well, just say so, and we can get on with the upgrade by choice, and as needed.

"Pre-aligned from FRP" sounds fishy to me. You can't take down any front suspension on any automobile without affecting alignment, period. To suggest that a front suspension component(s) is "pre-aligned" is mechanical nonsense. Instructions may include new numbers for a alignment rack dial-in, but nothing is "pre-aligned". Just doesn't happen that way.

My 2007 FRP catalogue doesn't show any caster/camber kits for the '05-'08 frame. It offers kits the '79-'89, '90-'93, and '94-'04 frames, but nothing for the '05-'08 frame other than a strut tower brace. My FRP catalogue may be out of date, so, I won't argue this 411 further.

However, my 2008 SPP catalogue (page 17) offers strut/camber adjusters (5S3Z-3B226-8-SL) for the '05-'08 frame, for 200 bucks a pair. The note suggests that excessive tire wear and "alignment walking" may occur from suspension modifications, and this kit is an answer for the problem. I wonder about this.

Offering us this adjustment tends to say that adjustments may be necessary, but remain optional. If so, well, just say so, and we can get on with the upgrade by choice, and as needed.

When I spoke with the dealership today, I tried to explain that there may be some parts necessary to align the car correctly... The service adviser said the best thing is to start by checking the alignment, then go from there; they cannot do anything until they see the suspension..

As soon as I receive updates, I will post them here. If my car does need the camber plates/bolts, well.. I am going to be a little upset if they are coming out of my pocket.. :rolleyes:

On another note, my car is completely clean.. engine and all.. Probably better this way.. easier to see any scratches when I pick it up! :blink:

Drive 'em harder and you will need tires anyway :D I am happy with mine as is , so far @4k miles.

I agree.. but, think about having to replace tires at 10k miles, when they should last 25-35k+... :o

I suppose I should buy a few.. aren't they still on sale for $80 on tirerack?

When I spoke with the dealership today, I tried to explain that there may be some parts necessary to align the car correctly... The service adviser said the best thing is to start by checking the alignment, then go from there; they cannot do anything until they see the suspension..

As soon as I receive updates, I will post them here. If my car does need the camber plates/bolts, well.. I am going to be a little upset if they are coming out of my pocket.. :rolleyes:

On another note, my car is completely clean.. engine and all.. Probably better this way.. easier to see any scratches when I pick it up! :blink:

I agree.. but, think about having to replace tires at 10k miles, when they should last 25-35k+... :o

I suppose I should buy a few.. aren't they still on sale for $80 on tirerack?

The installation instructions for the FRPP struts say " Step 4: Use the supplied cam bolts and nuts to assemble with the desired camber".

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/in...htM-18000-A.pdf

So If I have trouble with wear, I'm going to take a copy of this to my dealer.

WHY Are some of these cars ok and other one's not ??? took my to the Dealer today , ,,front end was off just a little, was corrected !!! tires are GOOD

I wonder if that's why my back tires are wearing out much faster than my front. :D

I'm not sure if I missed this but what is the factory spec supposed to be? Is it that same as the regular GT?

We know why your back tires are wearing!

Yes, the stock alignment values of the Mustang GT are a good place to start, but the should change once the front suspension is lowered 1.5". A good front end wrench with a Hunter machine should get you where you need to be, straight and true.

WHY Are some of these cars ok and other one's not ??? took my to the Dealer today , ,,front end was off just a little, was corrected !!! tires are GOOD

Touched by human hands. Nothing more nothing less. First time I did a set of rear 1/4 panels on a car the first measurement was off by almost a 3/8 inch bone STOCK from taillight to center side to side. Nothings perfect if you look hard enough. But this had me remeasuring over and over not trusting myself. When I told this to an elder hot rodder, he was laughing, its typical.

I am going to stick with my cars setting as is seems great and handles like a roller coaster with enough drift to make you smile. I would assume that the factory spec "bolts" is what Bud is referring to? I very highly doubt SAI would do a 1/2 job on the install and Bud would know.

Tire rack had the stock tires for $80 each. A great deal.

Touched by human hands. Nothing more nothing less. First time I did a set of rear 1/4 panels on a car the first measurement was off by almost a 3/8 inch bone STOCK from taillight to center side to side. Nothings perfect if you look hard enough. But this had me remeasuring over and over not trusting myself. When I told this to an elder hot rodder, he was laughing, its typical.

I am going to stick with my cars setting as is seems great and handles like a roller coaster with enough drift to make you smile. I would assume that the factory spec "bolts" is what Bud is referring to? I very highly doubt SAI would do a 1/2 job on the install and Bud would know.

Tire rack had the stock tires for $80 each. A great deal.

I see your point.. again, BUT, there are over 5000 SGT's on the road (well, 5000 made).

What about the people that don't ever put them on jacks to check things, or the people who bought them because they are cool? You think everyone wants to be buying tires at 10k miles because "the car handles well?"

The only "handling" my car does 90% of the time is going down the 15 freeway.. I see no reason for it to have an excessive amount of negative camber.

Also, it seems that quite a few SGT's have 20" rims; 20" tires are NOT $80.. :o

Archived