TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Had an offer to trade

SGT0701

While shopping at the local Ford dealer for a Van for my company, I noticed a 2007 Roush BlackJack on the used car showroom floor. It caught my attention, so I went to check it out while they worked the deal on the Van. It was number 15 of 100, and had less than 900 miles.

Just for kicks, I asked them to work up a deal with the SGT as a trade.

This car stickers for $57K, 430 HP stock, fully loaded with polished SC, Polished Roush Wheels, and 14' Roush Brakes. Nice look, black with Flat black stripe.

Actual car:

07.jpg?webimage001l

29.jpg?webimage001l

14.jpg?webimage001l

The last deal they offered was the SGT + $16k.

My SGT has 11,000 miles and the mods listed below.

The snake oil is just too strong, I couldn't part with the Shelby (Although it was tempting).

Anybody have any comments?

So based on sticker price they are offering 41K for a bone stock SGT?

Heck yeah I would trade. Get the Stage 3 for 16k and go buy another Shelby since we know a used one with low miles can be had in the $32-$33k range.

You could have two collectable mustangs for the price of a marked-up GT500.

While shopping at the local Ford dealer for a Van for my company, I noticed a 2007 Roush BlackJack on the used car showroom floor. It caught my attention, so I went to check it out while they worked the deal on the Van. It was number 15 of 100, and had less than 900 miles.

This car stickers for $57K, 430 HP stock, fully loaded with polished SC, Polished Roush Wheels, and 14' Roush Brakes. Nice look, black with Flat black stripe.

Actual car:

07.jpg?webimage001l

29.jpg?webimage001l

14.jpg?webimage001l

The snake oil is just too strong, I couldn't part with the Shelby (Although it was tempting).

You could always spend the $16K on a Shelby S/C kit, gauge pod, 20" wheels of your choice, & upgraded brakes and have a better car.

I also looked at the Roush, drove one the same day as the Shelby GT. I drove the 427R, but they had the Stage 3 as well. The 427R has the Roush Off-road exhaust, it sounds awesome, much better than the Stage 3. It was faster than the Shelby, but it seemed like they did to much to it. At the end of the day, I can add a Whipple and be faster and have, in my opinion, the best looking Mustang available today.

Here is what I posted in June about the BlackJack. The link is shown in post #2 above.

------------------------------------------

Okay, I am absolutely not an expert at all about the Roush Mustangs. I could be totally wrong about some of my opinions so forgive me right from the beginning. And, my intention for this post is not at all to bash the Roush or start any dialog of the same. I think there was already a thread about that a while ago anyway. Instead, I want to mention my opinion about the Roush, and in particular, the BlackJack.

Today, I stopped by the dealer that I had originally given my first verbal offer to purchase the SGT (found a better price elsewhere). They are the dealer closest to my home. I heard a rumor that they had a BlackJack so I wanted to go and check it out, just out of curiosity. It turns out that the SGT they ordered for me in February was still on the lot since its May delivery.

Well, of course the BlackJack is a pretty good looking car, but I have to say that I really think the SGT is far greater looking. Call it bias or just my own taste, but looking at all the Roush cars parked near the SGT side-by-side, the SGT really stood out. These guys are clearly a Roush dealer with about 12 cars and 4 or 5 Roush F150's (now those looked really cool).

So, in the 5-10 minutes I spent looking at the BlackJack, here is what I noticed:

- Front fascia: The BlackJack fascia looks cool; at first. But when you really look at the lines, it gets too busy. There are too many lines and sharp edges mixed with curves.

- Grille: Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Mustang GT grille with the big inner headlights and the honeycomb design. I know it sort of mimics the vintage Shelby's and Mustangs, but it doesn't really do much for me. I did like how Swede or Stump did his inner lights, however, but that's because there weren't two large inner bulbs staring out at you and the SGT grille is what catches the eye. I was surprised to see that Roush didn't even touch the grille.

- Stripe: There is a very wide stripe on the car that almost looks like a painted piece of very thin tar paper. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but that's just what it looked like to me. It is matte black, very wide and the corners weren't sharp at all. Maybe that was the design, or maybe the guy who put this on had a bad day, but it didn't look great.

- Scoop: The scoop looked okay, but I really like ours a great deal better. I love the rivets and the size and shape of ours.

- Chrome wheels: As most of you know, I began with the black SGT and immediately wanted the polished wheels rather than the black. But over time, the black grew on me and later I was 100% for the black. The polished wheels look nice, but I really like the black much better. You would figure that they would have their wheels black for the BlackJack, but they didn't ask for my opinion - LOL.

- Red brakes: loved them. It's an option for us too.

- Roush front fender emblem: they're okay, but I like the "Powered by Ford" ones much better.

- Side rocker panels with matching flaps all around the car: To me, this makes the car look too gaudy. Again, too many lines, sharp edges and curves make it too busy.

- Rear spoiler: absolutely hated it. Come to think of it, the Saleen spoiler is even worse. To me, they are all way too big and long and take up way too much of the deck lid. I am not a big fan of our SGT spoiler option either. My favorite one would be the GT500, especially after seeing it on RIHarley's car the other day. But I much prefer to keep my SGT's A$$ bare.

- Rear fascia: looked pretty cool. Liked the lines there, except for the extra flap as mentioned above.

- Faux gas cap: Liked it. They replaced the "Ford" word with "Stage" and the center was a big red "3" which matched the front fender badge (I think). Of course, I will like what ever design we end up with.

- Square tail pipe ends: Looked pretty cool. Nice touch, but I still prefer the round ones.

- Quarter Window Louvers: Looked okay, not a big fan, much prefer scoops or block-off plates.

- Rear window louver: A little too much. Again, busy and gaudy. Not sure if this was for all BlackJacks or just this one.

- Engine bay: They had a nice Roush badge like the Shelby one right in the same spot. Nice touch, even for copycats. This one was car #30 out of 100. Plus it said 430 HP. Any of ours with the S/C will be much more than that. Little too much billet aluminum everywhere.

- Interior: Again, gaudy inside just as bad as outside. Didn't like the chrome trim around the gauges.

- Carbon Fiber: Did not like the carbon fiber look at all. Added way too much to the gaudy factor.

- Pedals: I liked the pedals a lot. Other than the gas pedal looking like a couple of #5 dice (I think), they were a nice touch.

- Front Seats: Absolutely loved the seats. They were awesome. Nice leather and a nice design on them (although I don't remember what the design was). I think it said Roush or Stage 3 or something else.

- Gauges: Also loved the gauges. They looked great, except for the gaudy chrome around them, but the design was really nice.

- Price: this used one was $52k with 250 or 2500 miles on it (I think it was used, especially with the miles, but I didn't really pay attention or ask). I just saw one on eBay for $57k and another for $58k. Either way, they are asking a great deal more then SAI is if you put them apples to apples. Even if you took the SGT (say at $39k) and added the $6400 S/C, big brakes ($2400 or big red brakes add about another $1500 I guess), 20" wheels ($2175), a spoiler ($500) and a few other items, you're still in the $51k - $53k range for a new car. Even give them $1000 or so for the seats. Plus, there is no possible way to put a value on a Shelby over any other but again, I don't want to go down that road.

So as mentioned, this was just my observations from spending just a few minutes looking at the car and then writing down some notes as I drove away. I am not at all trying to bash the Roush so please don't bother trying to do that here or try to argue with my opinions or defend Roush or the car. I think it is a very nice looking car with some nice features. I just wanted to compare it to what my final car will look like since I had the opportunity to look at one just down the street from my home. I thought I'd simply share my thoughts with my Shelby Friends.

Obviously, to me, nothing compares to a Shelby. You all know my thoughts about that from the discussion a while ago.

As I drove away, I caught the Shelby again in my rear view mirror against the Roush Mustangs and had a big proud smile with my usual phrase in my mind; "I own a Shelby."

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments. Adam, your comments are right on target.

Also, the trade offer was the SGT +$16K for the Roush, and the Roush was used (1 owner that traded for a GT 500).

The BlackJack is a great package, but you all are right...It just ain't a Shelby.

Roush did some changes on the 08 BlackJack that improved it in my opinion (Replaced the stock GT grill with a black billit grill, changed the carbon on the dash to black, and replaced the chrome wheels with black).

Here is an 08:

85138156-1sm.jpg

I had the same thought as Stump, and I did offer $12K and the SGT, but we ended the negotiation at $4k apart.

Oh, $57k for a used car? That's a little different but depending on miles still tempting. Depending on what you owe on the SGT (if anything - not my business) I'm going to guess less than 41k. I would trade the SGT for the $41k, anything you owe less than $41k is just money in your pocket, get the Stage 3 for ~ 16k although I'm with you that he needs to come down, sell the Stage 3 for $40-$45k (or as much as possible) on Craigs list or something and have ~27K to put down on a modded SGT straight from SAI.

Just thinking out loud......

How much of that HP can you really use with your daily driving? Since you drive this car everyday, the Shelby would seem to be a better fit. I am biased, but the Shelby looks way better in my book, even if it is less HP. And besides, if you left us for the dark side, what would that make us, "a party of four???" But hey, it's your car, your decision...just don't make a rash decision.

Roush makes a nice car, but i'm not feeling the black wheels or grill. Needs some contrast. To much black makes it, well too plain. What i always liked about black is that it really highlights chrome and aluminum. But thats just my taste, different people like different things.

Roush makes a nice car, but i'm not feeling the black wheels or grill. Needs some contrast. To much black makes it, well too plain. What i always liked about black is that it really highlights chrome and aluminum. But thats just my taste, different people like different things.

You hit the nail right on the head!

Actual car:

07.jpg?webimage001l

29.jpg?webimage001l

14.jpg?webimage001l

They were going to give you 41K for your Shelby? Used? with 11K milage?

They were going to give you 41K for your Shelby? Used? with 11K milage?

Not exactly. The sticker of $57K was the NEW RETAIL. This car is a 1 owner used car with 900 miles. They have it priced at $47K, so the 16K difference they are asking puts them at 31K in my car. Pretty much wholesale to wholesale trade.

I would have made the trade at $12K, but no more.

$47K is not a bad price for the Black Jack, especially one with 900 miles. I have not seen any under 52K.

I am glad we couldn't come to terms, I know I would miss "S H E L B Y".

Not exactly. The sticker of $57K was the NEW RETAIL. This car is a 1 owner used car with 900 miles. They have it priced at $47K, so the 16K difference they are asking puts them at 31K in my car. Pretty much wholesale to wholesale trade.

I would have made the trade at $12K, but no more.

$47K is not a bad price for the Black Jack, especially one with 900 miles. I have not seen any under 52K.

I am glad we couldn't come to terms, I know I would miss "S H E L B Y".

got it................ :)

i drove a stage 3 about 3-4 months ago. Although it was neat in certain way's. I felt like i was driving a bigger heavier car. just sitting in it, it felt big and heavy...........

But it was nice just the same. It just did not have that Shelby feel. :)

Sorry...The numbers don't add up. I feel like something is missing, and this doesn't sound like a good deal, at least a deal I wouldn't get into.

Maybe I'm just too much a S H E L B Y owner, eh?

Just my .02C gents, carry on.

So based on sticker price they are offering 41K for a bone stock SGT?

Heck yeah I would trade. Get the Stage 3 for 16k and go buy another Shelby since we know a used one with low miles can be had in the $32-$33k range.

You could have two collectable mustangs for the price of a marked-up GT500.

Stump - gotta love ya, but your inner thoughts and nonpractical manner confuses me. I mean I'd love more HP too but the Shelby car just is THAT much over a Rousch, where are you at anyway...Rousch or Shelby you can't afford both I know that?

Stump - gotta love ya, but your inner thoughts and nonpractical manner confuses me. I mean I'd love more HP too but the Shelby car just is THAT much over a Rousch, where are you at anyway...Rousch or Shelby you can't afford both I know that?

Read on down. My intent was resale and originally it seemed 07 was saying he was being offered 41k for his Shelby. Offer me $41k for my year old stock Shelby with 10k miles and it's g-o-n-e! I aint married to it and another Shelby can be bought for far less than $41k!

Push the psudo-loyalty aside and it makes very good business sense to sell your car for more than it's worth. It's not like these are collectors cars - not yet anyway - and I know of 6 within 50 miles of me still for sale.

I want a Shelby not a Rousch but if selling a Rousch would pay for about 1/2 of a new Shelby, you bet I'm all over that. Frankly I couldn't care less about the Mustang name. I never have been a fan of the Mustang. I bought a name not a car.

He later explained he was being offered $31k so that changes everything.

Besides I could afford it I just have an accountant for a wife and she is very stingy with the money. Good thing too or I would be bankrupt within 6 months!

I have to agree with stump on this. I would sell my car in an instant if someone offered me more than I paid after I had used it. Then do it right by ordering one from the mod shop. I got really lucky when selling my old dodge srt 4, paid 17k new and sold it for 15k after 2 years of use and it had 30K miles! :D LUCKED OUT! My dealer I ordered the 08 Challenger from called this morning and said they got a new GT500 in on dealer trade and I could have it for sticker if i wanted it, and I found out that I could get their KR if they get one just over sticker too. I dunno if I should do it, its black w/ the alloy stripes. I think I'm gonna pass and wait on the KR. I'll trade the SGT for the KR and if not, mod the SGT. Not to hijack but what do you guys think?

I have to agree with stump on this. I would sell my car in an instant if someone offered me more than I paid after I had used it. Then do it right by ordering one from the mod shop. I got really lucky when selling my old dodge srt 4, paid 17k new and sold it for 15k after 2 years of use and it had 30K miles! :D LUCKED OUT! My dealer I ordered the 08 Challenger from called this morning and said they got a new GT500 in on dealer trade and I could have it for sticker if i wanted it, and I found out that I could get their KR if they get one just over sticker too. I dunno if I should do it, its black w/ the alloy stripes. I think I'm gonna pass and wait on the KR. I'll trade the SGT for the KR and if not, mod the SGT. Not to hijack but what do you guys think?

If you can get a KR for sticker or just over, you had better jump!

THAT is an instant money maker right there...

I'm getting the Challenger for 2500 over sticker and thats with someone offering my guys 15K over! thankfully these guys are old family friends and my family has bought all our cars there for quite some time. They said they MIGHT get a KR there in the lottery and don't know anything yet, but I think 5K over on the KR is about right. I just don't have any idea what MSRP is even gonna be close to, might be to much.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments. Adam, your comments are right on target.

Also, the trade offer was the SGT +$16K for the Roush, and the Roush was used (1 owner that traded for a GT 500).

The BlackJack is a great package, but you all are right...It just ain't a Shelby.

Roush did some changes on the 08 BlackJack that improved it in my opinion (Replaced the stock GT grill with a black billit grill, changed the carbon on the dash to black, and replaced the chrome wheels with black).

Here is an 08:

85138156-1sm.jpg

I had the same thought as Stump, and I did offer $12K and the SGT, but we ended the negotiation at $4k apart.

I like the 08.... just not as much as MY 07.

The way I see it, he traded this Roush for a Shelby GT500.

You also don't know what kind of miles those 900 are.

IMO, put a paxton and brakes on your Shelby....done deal. I would feel like I was down-grading, even with the increase in relative value.

My .02

Dan

Archived