TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nitrous

wmoore

I can't seem to find much info searching this site about nitrous. Because you guys are much smarter than me, would you be kind enought to answer some questions?

1) Would nitrous void your warranty? (sorry, had to ask)

2) What would a be safe HP shot? (I don't want to blow up LOL)

3) Will the computer need to be re-calibrated (tuned) ?

4) How long will a bottle last? Please just guesstimate, I realize it depends on bottle size and how a person would drive.

5) Are there any other questions I should ask?

I do not syggest that I know much about nitrous. IMHO, it's not a stable source of power and I prefer other means of building power. However, I can offer you some answers.

Yes. It will require some permanent changes to your car, things that would be difficult to cover up should you have a warranty claim on a power train component. Once discovered by the dealership, you're toast.

My estimation is a 25-50 pound shot is tolerable on a stock engine. Some use it off the line, others opt to wait until 3rd gear. It a matter of your style. Any more that that and you are pushing your luck.

Yes. Nitrous should be installed by a professional tuner, and tested on a dyno. A reflash of your tune will depend on the shot you select.

4) How long will a bottle last? Please just guesstimate, I realize it depends on bottle size and how a person would drive.

You are correct, it depends on the size of the bottle, size of the shot, and the frequency you hit it.

Ask all the questions you can, and before you have a system installed. Ask for referrences, past customers who have done business with the installer you are considering. Nitrous may appear simple on the surface, but it can become a real nighmare very quickly. Best wishes.

I do not syggest that I know much about nitrous. IMHO, it's not a stable source of power and I prefer other means of building power. However, I can offer you some answers.

Yes. It will require some permanent changes to your car, things that would be difficult to cover up should you have a warranty claim on a power train component. Once discovered by the dealership, you're toast.

My estimation is a 25-50 pound shot is tolerable on a stock engine. Some use it off the line, others opt to wait until 3rd gear. It a matter of your style. Any more that that and you are pushing your luck.

Yes. Nitrous should be installed by a professional tuner, and tested on a dyno. A reflash of your tune will depend on the shot you select.

You are correct, it depends on the size of the bottle, size of the shot, and the frequency you hit it.

Ask all the questions you can, and before you have a system installed. Ask for referrences, past customers who have done business with the installer you are considering. Nitrous may appear simple on the surface, but it can become a real nighmare very quickly. Best wishes.

Thanx, I appreciate the information. With a kid on the way to College, I may need to wait 4 years on the S/C and other upgrades I want..LOL Here's hoping for a ton of scholorships..LOL

man-oh-man, I need a sphellchecker...

Hey Mac,

Just take your post, paste it into Word, spell check it, then paste the corrected post back here. A bit of work, but worth it when having one of those days. ;) Jim

5) Are there any other questions I should ask?

1)yes if you get caught with it on the car or they find out it has been on the car.

2)75 shot wet.

3)depends on the size of shot.anything over 75 will require a tune and plugs changed to a lower heat range.

4) depends on if your a junkie or not.

5)yes.

I like wet kits because they are easy to tune and add fuel with the nitrous.

refilling the bottle costs me about 30.00 for a 10lb.

I use ZEX 82034.

The pistons in the engine are not forged and the 4.6 factory bottem end is weak.

you would come out better by putting a supercharger on the car and getting it tuned.

The kits can be bought on ebay from 500.00 to 700.00 then you will want a filter,bottle warmer,remote opener fuel pressure gauge.

also the intake on these cars are plastic and ment to flow air not fuel so you could be asking for a nitrous backfire with a large shot.

after everything is said and done the supercharger will cost less and the power will always be there .

Well that does it, after all they say good things come to those who wait. I'll be patient get the kids thru school and then go crazy because, I do not plan on getting rid of this car! Can't wait until spring so I can drive it again. Oh well, another coat of Zaino tomorrow...wax on...wax off...LOL

Hey Mac,

Just take your post, paste it into Word, spell check it, then paste the corrected post back here. A bit of work, but worth it when having one of those days. ;) Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your advice.

It would help if I put on my "readers" too, and reviewed my typing before I hit the enter key. Funny, I need them to find them...Go figure?

I like wet kits because they are easy to tune and add fuel with the nitrous.

refilling the bottle costs me about 30.00 for a 10lb.

I use ZEX 82034.

The pistons in the engine are not forged and the 4.6 factory bottem end is weak.

you would come out better by putting a supercharger on the car and getting it tuned.

The kits can be bought on ebay from 500.00 to 700.00 then you will want a filter,bottle warmer,remote opener fuel pressure gauge.

also the intake on these cars are plastic and ment to flow air not fuel so you could be asking for a nitrous backfire with a large shot.

after everything is said and done the supercharger will cost less and the power will always be there .

Thank you, 427. I may not know the difference between wet and dry shots, or, how they work, but I know enough to understand nitrous is not as easy of a power-adder as some believe.

Hey Mac,

Easier....switch to Apple's Safari browser and it has built-in spellcheck and check as you type.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

That single feature makes me hate going back to IE 6 and IE 7 is just too flaky.

Archived