TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rattle Frustration at High Level.. Need Help.. 2007 GT

deanoc2s

My 2007 Shelby GT (Black w/ silver stripes) has a bad rattle near the rear under carriage. I've seen posts talking about hanger bolt issues on these cars. My dealer is clueless. The car only has 600 miles on it. The clinking / rattle occurs when i accelrate and get the RPM's up... especially around corners. I have dampened almost every loose body panel. Noise still there. Otherwise the car is solid and sweet. HELP. What is the latest diagnosis / cure / remedy. Does Shelby have a claim referance #...? (maybe i can make my dealer aware of...)..? Is it the hanger bolts...? Any part # or advice appreciated. I'm optomistic towards a solution. Great forum. Thank you. Deano <_<

I had it too... Take it in and have the dealer replace BOTH mufflers... Apparently, there were some early mufflers that had the metal hangers welded in the wrong place... No matter how much you loosen or adjust or tweak from the CATS on back, you still get that annoying rattle...

I don't have a TSB or any # to give you... But I'm sure FORD is well aware of this by now... Good Luck!

07SGT0547

It has seemed as if different cars had different issues, mostly depending on when the cars were produced and/or converted. There are many threads on this, some with good pics of the problem areas, so you may need to search.

I'm surprised that Ford dealers continue to try to fix this. The Shelby supplemental warranty says that this isn't covered, I thought. Anyway, 4.5K on mine, and it will be checked at the dealership at the 5K service for the same issue...

Hmmmm. Seems like i need more info or good luck at the dealer. What a pain. Go Spend 40+G's on a brand new car and it sounds like a garbage can going down the road. Ford can fix or take the car back, i dont care what disclaimer Shelby says... nobody told me about that. :angry:

Here's Amy B's quote from early June 2007:

"Guys, I believe there were two issues, a muffler rattle and a rear rumble or rattle. The exhaust we were installing were made wrong, the company was on strike and the replacement people had some learning curves. we have fixed all the cars we had on site, all the new ones should be ok."

So if you have a car "built" at SAI earlier than June 2007, then I would say that FORD is still obligated to replace them since they were defective from the manufacturer... All I know is that after trying everything posted up til then, nothing completely removed all the rattles... Once BOTH mufflers were replaced, I haven't heard anything annoying from the back of the car in over 3,000 miles... Good Luck!

07SGT0547

Here's Amy B's quote from early June 2007:

"Guys, I believe there were two issues, a muffler rattle and a rear rumble or rattle. The exhaust we were installing were made wrong, the company was on strike and the replacement people had some learning curves. we have fixed all the cars we had on site, all the new ones should be ok."

So if you have a car "built" at SAI earlier than June 2007, then I would say that FORD is still obligated to replace them since they were defective from the manufacturer... All I know is that after trying everything posted up til then, nothing completely removed all the rattles... Once BOTH mufflers were replaced, I haven't heard anything annoying from the back of the car in over 3,000 miles... Good Luck!

07SGT0547

Well...Here I am again...Clueless, and this quote of Amy from June '07 doesn't help me figure anything out.

First she says "The exhaust we were installing", and later says "I would say that Ford is still obligated".

Why would FMC be obligated to repair/replace an SAI mod? I've always believed that the exhaust system on our SGTs is a Ford Racing product (#M-2006-FR1 kit), not Ford factory production line parts. Maybe Amy meant to say "Ford Racing"?

Either way, you should be covered by one of the three warranties on the car, so, keep at it and best of luck to you. Keep us posted?

EDIT: I see now where I am in error. I missed the end quote from Amy, and the remark about Ford being obligated is 07SGT0547's remark. End confusion, but I still think it's a Ford Racing issue, and we have a warranty for those parts. Best wishes again.

I'm guessing my FORD Dealer had to call FORD Racing to get the replacement mufflers... Regardless, they were defective (per Amy's post last June) and were replaced under warranty...

And for what it's worth, they actually replaced BOTH mufflers when I was only having problems with the Driver's Side... Maybe they came as a set???

Good Luck!

07SGT0547

I'm guessing my FORD Dealer had to call FORD Racing to get the replacement mufflers...

This would be the correct process. Works for my LINCOLN/MERCURY service and parts department too.

Remember, FORD Racing Performance Products (FRPP) is not FORD Motor Company, it's a separate company operating on it's own. Please refer to the disclaimer on page two of the current catalogue, or, the warranty papers that came with your SGT?

Nonetheless, we're covered for this kind of problem, paying the bill just take a different path.

I am going to print this and hand it to my service advisor on tuesday. I'll let you guys know what happens. Hoping for a solution... Last resort, back to the dealer i bought it from (1 hour away). I heard it with the salesman during the initial test drive and he assured me it could or would be addressed as needed. Then, after the drive, he tightened down the spare tire compressor and suggested he may have solved the noise. Well, nope. I called him and told him it was still there. He seemed willing to help, good guys i think. :(

I am going to print this and hand it to my service advisor on tuesday. I'll let you guys know what happens. Hoping for a solution... Last resort, back to the dealer i bought it from (1 hour away). I heard it with the salesman during the initial test drive and he assured me it could or would be addressed as needed. Then, after the drive, he tightened down the spare tire compressor and suggested he may have solved the noise. Well, nope. I called him and told him it was still there. He seemed willing to help, good guys i think. :(

Update. I just got my Shelby back. Dealer called and said it was all done and ready. Grabbed it... and sure enough the rattle is still there... big & bad as ever.... 2nd wasted full day the car has been at the dealer. They said they did what i suggested, "modify the hanger bolt"... They said bring it back again (3rd time) and they will have the tech ride with me.... well he did that the 1st time. I don't think these guys have a clue. I have never been more bummed about a new car purchase, ever. I may have to look into Lemon Law rights soon if they can't pull it together. Wish there was an open recall for this problem. Same issue since day 1 on the test drive..... = accelerate pretty hard from a dead stop and listen to the clinking on the drivers side rear. Go over a nice bump in the road and listen to the clunking metal to metal sounds from the drivers side rear of the car. So far, Shelby is not impressive. I'm disappointed that the Ford name is associated with this unprofessional level of service. The loaner they gave me was a Ford "five hundred"... drove great... dang it. :angry: :huh: :(

Any miracle answers are greatly appreciated..

Thank's,

Deano

Update. I just got my Shelby back. Dealer called and said it was all done and ready. Grabbed it... and sure enough the rattle is still there... big & bad as ever.... 2nd wasted full day the car has been at the dealer. They said they did what i suggested, "modify the hanger bolt"... They said bring it back again (3rd time) and they will have the tech ride with me.... well he did that the 1st time. I don't think these guys have a clue. I have never been more bummed about a new car purchase, ever. I may have to look into Lemon Law rights soon if they can't pull it together. Wish there was an open recall for this problem. Same issue since day 1 on the test drive..... = accelerate pretty hard from a dead stop and listen to the clinking on the drivers side rear. Go over a nice bump in the road and listen to the clunking metal to metal sounds from the drivers side rear of the car. So far, Shelby is not impressive. I'm disappointed that the Ford name is associated with this unprofessional level of service. The loaner they gave me was a Ford "five hundred"... drove great... dang it. :angry: :huh: :(

Thank's,

Deano

I too had the same problem when I put the exhaust on my CS6 build..

Ford couldn't find the noise and I had it into a muffler shop three times before they found it,

It was the hanger on the drivers side muffler.

A slight bend down on the muffler support and the problem was solved.

It was actually rubbing the frame.

hope this helps.

Thank's,

Deano

I was in the same boat as you. The dealer tried to fix the rattles 3 times without any success. Finally, I fixed it myself after a few hours of tweaking the exhaust pipes, bending the hangers, and cutting the rods off about a 1 1/4 ".

My 2007 Shelby GT (Black w/ silver stripes) has a bad rattle near the rear under carriage. I've seen posts talking about hanger bolt issues on these cars. My dealer is clueless. The car only has 600 miles on it. The clinking / rattle occurs when i accelrate and get the RPM's up... especially around corners. I have dampened almost every loose body panel. Noise still there. Otherwise the car is solid and sweet. HELP. What is the latest diagnosis / cure / remedy. Does Shelby have a claim referance #...? (maybe i can make my dealer aware of...)..? Is it the hanger bolts...? Any part # or advice appreciated. I'm optomistic towards a solution. Great forum. Thank you. Deano <_<

Mine had the same about 4 months ago, have the dealer, take off both mufflers,, where the hanger is on the top of the muffler , ,,, the L hangers are a little to long ,, cut about 1/2 to 1 in off , that will do it !!, also when the mufflers are off, look to the inside of the rear bumper, you will see where that have been hitting

Archived