TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tire selection

xmxer

Going to track days with car, want to know best combination and width of tires. Do want to have the rears wider than stock for appearence. Must the rear rims be wider to do so.

You don't say which kind of track you will be visiting, so, my reply has two avenues. Both involve "contact patch", hope you know what this means.

1/4 mile drag racing dictates skinny tires with low rolling resistance up front, and as big and fat and sticky as possible tires on the rear. Wheel diameter figures into this, only because the best tires available require smaller than stock SGT diameter wheels. But, this is a "no worries" topic, because our rear SGT brakes will fit as small as a 15" diameter wheel, and many competition tire MFGs now recognize 18" wheels as a market to pay attention to.

Road course and auto crossing dictates "tires as fat and sticky as you can get on all four corners", and diameter doesn't figure into this, just the contact patch. You don't need new wheels to improve, just new tires.

IMHO...Drag radials on the rear for brute force on the drag strip, over-inflate your front tires for the very least of rolling resistance as possible while on the track. Do not drive this combination on the street.

Road course...The stock SGT wheel is 8.5" wide and will safely accept any tire 265 wide. Over 265 will cause/result in sidewall problems, and if you are into twisting, don't push the sidewall. Check out the Nitto brand, and consider Nitto drag radials on all four corners for a pleasant (and competitive) drive on the track. Again, do not drive these tires on the street.

Hope this helps, have fun!

Let me clairify that, road courses and parking lots set up for autocross, yes i do know about the contact patch of a tire thanks, just not whats working for people who have been doing this already, thankyou for the input. The rear rim size was really what i was woundering about, didn' t know if i needed to go wider or not. Thanks

Let me clairify that, road courses and parking lots set up for autocross, yes i do know about the contact patch of a tire thanks, just not whats working for people who have been doing this already, thankyou for the input. The rear rim size was really what i was woundering about, didn' t know if i needed to go wider or not. Thanks

Road/autoX, I get you now. The SGT has the same size wheel on all four corners. Lots of shopping out there for you, but stay at 265 wide max.

I've driven more than one AutoX that included a water box somewhere in the course, so, my suggestion is a full set or drag radials on all four. I prefer the Pirelli P-Zero compound. Very sticky, controls water very well, but remember, it's still not a street tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=PZero+Corsa

Happy motoring!

Archived