TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Compliment or insult?

Reino

Well - what are my choices? SAI - Las Vegas (1680~ miles), Tasca Ford (1345~ miles) or Quantum Perf (999~ miles)

I chose TX - I've already been in contact with the VP - Glen Martini - down there and am excited to get things rollin'! TX was shorter distance and easier to get to for me due to my work schedule and such.

My plan is to drive it down there - drop it off for mods - wait the approx week for them to complete it and then drive it back home. Should be one awesome road trip/vacation - not to mention all the other SGT owners that I may encounter along the way. ;)

Trevor

Hmmm, I was thinking Tasca was closer to you. Where exactly is MN again?? :lol:

Hmmm, I was thinking Tasca was closer to you. Where exactly is MN again?? :lol:

I'm on the North Side of Minneapolis, MN. I thought the same thing about Tasca, but in order for me to get out east, I've got to drive down around Lake Michigan and then back up to Rhode Island. . . . that adds a couple hundred miles to the trip. That and Texas is literally a straight shot down I-35 through Kansas City, MO all the way there. Can't go wrong with that. ;) I just better make it through without getting caught in a hail storm! :blink:

Trevor

And they were not wrong here. All Ford offers for sale is the Mustang GT, and the GT 500. The SGT is an aftermarket upgrade possibility, and not all retail dealers have routine access to SAI. First, they have to know about it's availability, and second, they have to ask for one to be shipped to them.

I think (but I'm not sure) a donor/replacement Mustang GT must be sent out to SAI, but I could be completely wrong on this.

The car has to be purchased from Ford. The code is 54u all 54u must go to SAI

And they were not wrong here. All Ford offers for sale is the Mustang GT, and the GT 500. The SGT is an aftermarket upgrade possibility...

Actually Ford considers the Shelby GT to be a separate product worthy of its own press releases.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=26180

The Shelby GT is the third modern Shelby Mustang produced through a collaboration of Ford and Shelby Automobiles

It even receives a separate entry from the Mustang in this 2008 Ford Product release (see Shelby GT entry)

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=26355

And is referred to as "one of 9 new product introductions" for 2007

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 13, 2006 – Today, Ford debuts the all-new 2007 Ford Shelby GT through a behind-the-scenes look at the high-performance Mustang’s development on its “Bold Moves: The Future of Ford” web-based documentary (FordBoldMoves.com). On Wednesday, Ford confirmed production of the Shelby GT as one of 9 new product introductions coming in the next 6 months for Ford and Lincoln Mercury.
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=24010

I haven't seen where Ford has referred to the Roush, Saleen and Steeda aftermarket Mustangs (that can be ordered through Ford dealers) in the same way.

Thanks for the correct information.

In hindsight, the distinction I was trying to point out, is that the Mustang GT and the GT 500 are built by Ford on Ford assembly lines. The SGT (as it has been confirmed) is an SAI creation based on a Mustang GT. Thus, many dealers may not know about the option, nor care to get involved with a third party upgrade program. Press release aside, there wasn't a lot of advertising about it, and this may have caused many dealers to shy away from it. Sorry I didn't say it better the first time.

Actually Ford considers the Shelby GT to be a separate product worthy of its own press releases.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=26180

It even receives a separate entry from the Mustang in this 2008 Ford Product release (see Shelby GT entry)

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=26355

And is referred to as "one of 9 new product introductions" for 2007

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=24010

I haven't seen where Ford has referred to the Roush, Saleen and Steeda aftermarket Mustangs (that can be ordered through Ford dealers) in the same way.

You know AF your smarter that I originally thought! :D When you told me you were not going with the 20's I was really beginning to think you were, well, a bottle shy of a six-pack. :D All jokes AF you know that!

Good information, for real here.

Press release aside, there wasn't a lot of advertising about it, and this may have caused many dealers to shy away from it. Sorry I didn't say it better the first time.

I agree on the lack of advertising.

No need to apologize. Your post reminded me of a similiar post I responded to on themustangsource, a couple months ago, about whether the SGT was an aftermarket mustang or a Ford Special edition. It's a topic of discussion that I was curious about so I did some research on the Ford media site.

You know AF your smarter that I originally thought! When you told me you were not going with the 20's I was really beginning to think you were, well, a bottle shy of a six-pack. All jokes AF you know that!Good information, for real here.
I'm speechless for multiple reasons :D

You know, it's kinda sad, really...

I absolutely LOVE cars.

I absolutely LOATHE dealerships!

Are there exceptions? Everybody keeps telling me there are, but, I've bought a lot of cars and I've never found one!

I don't believe there resides on the planet a more entrenched repository for bullshit than an American car dealership (By "American", I'm not referring to the make of car, I've found import dealerships-including BMW & Lexus-to be every bit as full of crap as the dealers for American-made cars.)

I'm tired of fighting it! I've consigned myself to the fact that they just can't help it. Regardless of how many radio and TV ads they run talking about their concern for happy customers, make no mistake about it: whether in the sales or service department, the customer is the "opponent" in every situation and must be "beaten" for dealership management to be happy.

If you don't believe it, talk to a veteran car salesman or service advisor an get them to divulge the content of meetings with management.

It's not so much the aggressive sales approach (found both in sales & service) that I mind. It's more the age-old dynamic that the process itself is absolutely built, from the ground up, based on playing this huge smoke and mirror game:, "Let me go talk to my manager" "I've already got this car priced below invoice." "I've got the Snerdly family coming in at 2:00PM to look at this same Astro Van, and, unless they've changed their mind, it's a done deal."

The part of the process I find truly over the top is this dynamic that seemed to kick in in the early 90's where you now face an out-n-out full-frontal assault when they finally (typically at about the four hour mark) sit you down with the F&I guy! OH MY GOD!

Here's a synopsis of his pitch: "Mr: Dipshit, now that we're through hammering you and your wife into submission over the actual price of your new Astro Van, it's now my privilege to begin the robust process of ostensibly forcing you schmucks to buy all our over-priced dealer add-ons. Now, keep in mind, you typically don't need any of this <bleep>, but we make absolutely obscene margins on all of it, so my job is to ,basically, not let you leave my office until you agree to at least buy some of it. Think of this as aluminum siding for your Astro Van."

Here's how I managed this process when I bought my Shelby: When I sat down in the F&I guys' office and he started in, I stated I had no (none, zero, zip nada...) interest in any add on. As he started his second pass, I stopped him and said this, "I will buy no add on. If you attempt on another sales pitch on any of this, the deal on this car, in totem, is off. I was not kidding. He must of got the message. I'm driving the car.

Polecat

You know, it's kinda sad, really...

I absolutely LOVE cars.

I absolutely LOATHE dealerships!

Are there exceptions? Everybody keeps telling me there are, but, I've bought a lot of cars and I've never found one!

I don't believe there resides on the planet a more entrenched repository for bullshit than an American car dealership (By "American", I'm not referring to the make of car, I've found import dealerships-including BMW & Lexus-to be every bit as full of crap as the dealers for American-made cars.)

I'm tired of fighting it! I've consigned myself to the fact that they just can't help it. Regardless of how many radio and TV ads they run talking about their concern for happy customers, make no mistake about it: whether in the sales or service department, the customer is the "opponent" in every situation and must be "beaten" for dealership management to be happy.

If you don't believe it, talk to a veteran car salesman or service advisor an get them to divulge the content of meetings with management.

It's not so much the aggressive sales approach (found both in sales & service) that I mind. It's more the age-old dynamic that the process itself is absolutely built, from the ground up, based on playing this huge smoke and mirror game:, "Let me go talk to my manager" "I've already got this car priced below invoice." "I've got the Snerdly family coming in at 2:00PM to look at this same Astro Van, and, unless they've changed their mind, it's a done deal."

The part of the process I find truly over the top is this dynamic that seemed to kick in in the early 90's where you now face an out-n-out full-frontal assault when they finally (typically at about the four hour mark) sit you down with the F&I guy! OH MY GOD!

Here's a synopsis of his pitch: "Mr: Dipshit, now that we're through hammering you and your wife into submission over the actual price of your new Astro Van, it's now my privilege to begin the robust process of ostensibly forcing you schmucks to buy all our over-priced dealer add-ons. Now, keep in mind, you typically don't need any of this <bleep>, but we make absolutely obscene margins on all of it, so my job is to ,basically, not let you leave my office until you agree to at least buy some of it. Think of this as aluminum siding for your Astro Van."

Here's how I managed this process when I bought my Shelby: When I sat down in the F&I guys' office and he started in, I stated I had no (none, zero, zip nada...) interest in any add on. As he started his second pass, I stopped him and said this, "I will buy no add on. If you attempt on another sales pitch on any of this, the deal on this car, in totem, is off. I was not kidding. He must of got the message. I'm driving the car.

Polecat

I can relate to the long process when you finally decide to buy. I made it easy this time.. i went in with a voucher from my credit union....once we settled on the price..i was out the door rather quickly.

I knew they weren't moving off the sticker....my only time consuming issue was my trade in value.

Good story lol.

Your post reminded me of a similiar post I responded to on themustangsource, a couple months ago, about whether the SGT was an aftermarket mustang or a Ford Special edition. It's a topic of discussion that I was curious about so I did some research on the Ford media site.

Well, I suppose someone/something had to replace the disembowled SVT, surely a money-maker for FMC.

Just glad it was Carroll Shelby, the original Ford Performance guru, and not some upstart.

I about half enjoy the hunt for the deal, always have ever since I was little and went with my dad. But I totally agree on the amount of time to sign papers and get in and drive away. I think we were at the dealer about 3 hours with the SGT. This was with no trade and buying at a price that had been worked out in advance on the phone! The last Honda I bought, I had to actually go back the next day to finish signing!!

I about half enjoy the hunt for the deal, always have ever since I was little and went with my dad. But I totally agree on the amount of time to sign papers and get in and drive away. I think we were at the dealer about 3 hours with the SGT. This was with no trade and buying at a price that had been worked out in advance on the phone! The last Honda I bought, I had to actually go back the next day to finish signing!!

Yeah, it is a lot of crap, isn't it. Was a time when you walked in and drove out. But, not anymore, and a lot of that paperwork is our fault. The results of claims and lawsuits over so many years. Easier today to die and get burried, or, buy a six flat as income property, than buy a car. God forbid if you have cash in hand, they'll turn you away and tell you to come back with a certified check!

Yeah, it is a lot of crap, isn't it. Was a time when you walked in and drove out. But, not anymore, and a lot of that paperwork is our fault. The results of claims and lawsuits over so many years. Easier today to die and get burried, or, buy a six flat as income property, than buy a car. God forbid if you have cash in hand, they'll turn you away and tell you to come back with a certified check!

I was actually suprised when I bougth my Chev Cobalt, commuter car, I was allowed to pay with a personal check. I went in, we worked out a price and was planning on having to come back the next day with a certified check. I asked if a check would be ok, jokingly, and they said sure. Now this was a check for under 10k which included Tax, Title and Licnese out the door. Im almost wondering where they draw the line with accepting checks.

But then again if I walked in with 10k in cash they probably would of turned me away.

Archived