TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Compliment or insult?

Reino

I finally bought my CDC sequential tail lights from a mail order and noticed they were defective after taking the plastic liner out of the trunk and breaking a plastic retainer clip. So I decided to send them back and in the mean time I found a local parts distributor (Auto Krafters) which had them in stock. I traveled 45 minutes down the road today and purchesed the sequentials. On the way back I saw a big blue oval and thought Id stop to see if they had the plastic retainer clip to replace the one I broke. As I was pulling into Muhlenberg Ford in Woodstock, VA I noticed two men standing in front of the showroom near two the the Boss 302 mustangs. As I drove by they watched and parked just past them about 8 spaces. I got out and began to walk to the parts dept. when the one wearing a dealer shirt said "I like that Shelby sticker you put on there." The only reply I could muster was "thanks man"

As I was pulling out I couldnt help to think this guy is probably one of the moron dealers selling the car for base price of the GT and thinking the car had a $20 rocker sticker.

I also dont know if this moron was trying to be an ass or making a compliment. Either way Im glad they didnt have the clips as I wont be back.

Again, in no way am I saying that ALL dealers are morons, There are a couple on this site that I would seek out if I when I buy my next car, but jeez, you need a maschete to cut thru all the dopes!

I have never seen a profession so laden with @#$%^*!.............well I digress....you get the point!

I have been doing business with my local dealer for 20 years. They are always on top of things and know whats what. They have a couple of mechanics they are always sending to school to get training on the latest performance cars, and they are the only ones they let work on them.

Guess i'm lucky.

None of y'all should take too much offense at the mention of 'Triton".

Truth is, the Triton is one of our 4.6L-3V grandfathers, and the salesman who uttered these words could have been very dumb and lucky...Or, very sharp. Shame the exchange didn't last longer to hear more, and know for sure.

I don't put a lot into what salesmen say. One day they are selling used cars, the next day they are selling Fortune 500 stock, and the day after that, they are driving a bread truck. Salesmen follow the sale, and the remark about a Shelby decal could have been an open door to enlightment. Some salesmen are into the sport and do well, such as our friend Michael Morris. Others are just blowing smoke they inhaled over lunch. You never know without listening more.

OTOH, wrenches (techs) and parts guys are a better resource, and you'll find a lot of gems working at what appears to be a low key "family" oriented dealership. This is how it is at my local L/M dealership, and it's why I go there. The parts mgr. has his own circle track late model for his weekends, and he was last year's Track Champion. Their senior wrench and the only wrench who works on my cars, has his own 7 second funny car for the same reasons. But, you would never guess that walking in the service door. Sometimes, you have to feel your way through stuff. Some folks know their sh*t, some don't.

All is good on the sequentials, they are by far, one of the best mods available for our SGTs. I love mine, along with my turn-signal outside rear view mirrors.

Happy motoring, gents.

I test drove a 07 vert before I bought the Shelby....

The dealer told me I would love the "Triton" engine in these things.

As I said before..he is lucky there wasn't an "eject" button in that car :lol:

Think you referring to "Bobo" at that dealership in/near Tampa. Bet that's 1 rare Mustang,havin the Tritton engine in it lol.

I finally bought my CDC sequential tail lights from a mail order and noticed they were defective after taking the plastic liner out of the trunk and breaking a plastic retainer clip. So I decided to send them back and in the mean time I found a local parts distributor (Auto Krafters) which had them in stock. I traveled 45 minutes down the road today and purchesed the sequentials. On the way back I saw a big blue oval and thought Id stop to see if they had the plastic retainer clip to replace the one I broke. As I was pulling into Muhlenberg Ford in Woodstock, VA I noticed two men standing in front of the showroom near two the the Boss 302 mustangs. As I drove by they watched and parked just past them about 8 spaces. I got out and began to walk to the parts dept. when the one wearing a dealer shirt said "I like that Shelby sticker you put on there." The only reply I could muster was "thanks man"

As I was pulling out I couldnt help to think this guy is probably one of the moron dealers selling the car for base price of the GT and thinking the car had a $20 rocker sticker.

I also dont know if this moron was trying to be an ass or making a compliment. Either way Im glad they didnt have the clips as I wont be back.

I would have said, if i thought about it..."At least mine is made at and by Shelby, where is yours made"?

None of y'all should take too much offense at the mention of 'Triton".

Truth is, it's one of our 4.6L-3V grandfathers, and the salesman who uttered these words could have been very dumb and lucky...Or, very sharp. Shame the exchange didn't last longer to hear more, and kow for sure.

I don't put a lot into what salesmen say. One day they are selling used cars, the next day they are selling Fortune 500 stock, and the day after that, they are driving a bread truck. Salesmen follow the sale, and the remark about a decal could have been an open door to enlightment. Some salesmen are into the sport and do well, such as our friend Michael Morris. Others are just blowing smoke they inhaled over lunch. You never know without listening more.

OTOH, wrenches (techs) and parts guys are a better resource, and you'll find a lot of gems working at what appears to be a low key "family" oriented dealership. At my local "family" L/M dealership (and why I go there), the parts mgr. has his own circle track late model for his weekends, and their senior wrench has his own funny car for the same reasons. But, you would never guess that walking in the door.

Sometimes, you have to feel your way through stuff, some folks know their sh*t, some don't.

All is good on the sequentials, they are by far, one of the best mods available for our SGTs. I love mine, along with my turn-signal outside rear view mirrors.

Happy motoring, gents.

Actually this guy was new at this dealership....and he had no clue what he was talking about. Trust me on that. Maybe he "assumed" i didnt know anything..because I am female. His loss :P

Also..if I am going to pay ALOT of money for a car..I expect the salemen to know more about the car than I do....it's just an expectation of mine.......and I don't think that is too much to ask lol.

He gets a commission from my sale...he should know about the product. :rolleyes:

I agree..there is a turnover in this type of work, but someone should be overseeing his information he is passing on to a customer. I walked away from that dealership very quickly. I am sure that happens alot for that very reason.

I can't tell you how many times I regret I didn't deal with MM. I was new on this board by one day when I was "in the process " of buying Ralph. Had I slowed down...my car would have a few mods on it :rolleyes: ( from SAI ) The dealer I bought the car from didnt know this could be done...and I didnt either.

Anyways...all is well ....but next time ! :D

sounded like a couple of urban hillbillies.

at least the local Ford dealership in my town had decent knowlege of the SGT. the sales manager here said they had my car sitting on one of those inclined display car stands at SAI in Vegas and they bought the car and brought it back to thier dealership.

now rather that particular story is true or not i dont know :rolleyes:

but at least he has knowlege of what the SGT is. B)

that is exactly my point Sue, how many new cars or products did Ford have this year that the salesman doesnt know everything there is to know about the car?

Right, one or two.

If you cant get the facts straight on your ONE/TWO new product in a years time, then I think you deserve every word from this thread. no excuses, just bafoons.

Actually this guy was new at this dealership....and he had no clue what he was talking about. Trust me on that. Maybe he "assumed" i didnt know anything..because I am female. His loss :P

I trust what you say to be true, your salesman may be one of those selling bread today.

Also..if I am going to pay ALOT of money for a car..I expect the salemen to know more about the car than I do....it's just an expectation of mine.......and I don't think that is too much to ask lol.

No...You're not asking for a lot.

Sadly, that talent can be rare these days in the "performance" sale of things that appeal to (and services) us as performance minded customers. Imagine what it would be like, if all of us here started selling Shelbys?

I can't tell you how many times I regret I didn't deal with MM. I was new on this board by one day when I was "in the process " of buying Ralph. Had I slowed down...my car would have a few mods on it :rolleyes: ( from SAI ) The dealer I bought the car from didnt know this could be done...and I didnt either.

Likewise...Bought the car "off the floor" without knowing much about it other than I wanted to own it. I didn't know about SAI, their mod shop, my options, and so on. Joined here after purchase, and now that my eyes are open, I'm playing catch-up.

Indeed...All is well, but next time...

He gets a commission from my sale...he should know about the product. :rolleyes:

I agree..there is a turnover in this type of work, but someone should be overseeing his information he is passing on to a customer. I walked away from that dealership very quickly. I am sure that happens alot for that very reason.

yea if i knew the SGT could have came with a supercharger i would have ordered a car with it. if i recall my dealer never mentioned a supercharger :huh:

I guess I was lucky. I was at Mayo Clinic in MN. in April for ongoing spine problems & testing. My wife and I had a few days to kill so we went out and about checking out the area. We had been to MI. in March and I checked out some SGT'S out there (talk about dopes :huh: ). But while I was in one of the cars I saw the brochure from Shelby about the Mods that accidently got stuck in my pocket :blink: . So when we were up in MN. I hit a few Ford dealers and came across one in Winona that had just ordered their White SGT, not quite the way I wanted it. The salesman & salesmanager were very knowledgeable about the car & were willing to sell it to me at $500.00 under sticker, change the options & make a deal. So we went back to the motel, called John Walker, verified mods, and went back to the dealer the next day (my wifes birthday) and bought my first brand new car :D After two years of ongoing pain and suffering (still) I thought I deserved a new SGT. Thanks to the guys at the dealership, SAI, and my wife of course this dream came true!

Unfortunately for the automotive industry probably 75% of the salesmen are just plain DOPES that don't know a Mustang from a Yugo :lol:

Thanks to all for listening to me bable on!!!!!!! Love my new GT/SC, hopefully I can drive it soon. Brance :)

Every time I hear stories like this I see a big reason why Ford is in trouble. What possible excuse is there for so many dealers being so ignorant and poorly trained? I've had my own experiences with them too, believe me.

Don't get Swede going on this......... :o

j/k

Most of all the dealers out there are, like LuLu said, just chasing a buck and will be selling bonds and stocks next week! They want to sell any thing FAST, most do not like even ordering anything for the possibility of it unwinding and they get nothing. So they will lie, cheat and steal just to make the deal even though a person could get exactly what they want sometimes by ordering. I too am just soooooooooooooooooo pissed off that I did not get the FULL pedigree that I so very much wanted, before I ever buy another car, Shelby Ferrari, Porsche I will do 1000% more research that I did on this purchase. Damned salesman!

NOTE: Damed salesman again!

I guess I was lucky in this sense. I bought my '08 SGT from a Ford dealership in Roseville, MN. They had it sitting on the showroom floor. I was in Ohio - My father was at the dealership on some other business but saw the SGT there. He called me and we talked about it. This was just 4 weeks after orders were cut off for the '08s. I was going to be in Ohio for another week and a half before I could get home to see this car.

I had never seen the inside of a new Mustang since they changed it in '05 much less driven one. I didn't know a thing about the SGT when this started, I didn't know you could have mods done to it - I joined this forum after I bought the car and have learned so much from all of you. I guess I was clueless myself, but have now seen the light.

I was just going to order a GT and be happy with that - get my X-plan pricing and be down the road. I looked into the SGT more and made the decision that I wanted it - NOW. I called the dealer back - my salesman and I spoke for about 30 minutes. I called the bank - made arrangements and got pre-approved for the loan - called the dealer back and gave him my credit card over the phone to put a hold on it until I got there to sign the paper work and take delivery. The car sat on the showroom floor with a sold tag in the window and the doors locked for a week and a half. Here I'm thinking "Dude - I just bought a $40k car over the phone!!?? :blink: " When I got to the dealer, they wouldn't even let me take the SGT for a test drive - saying "The person who buys this car deserves to put every mile on it." My test drive was in a GT. When I drove the SGT home from the dealership - there was no way the GT came close to the same experience.

This was a pretty much the way it should have been in my book - the dealership I worked with - Midway Ford - was great and very well versed on the SGT.

#0758 is going to Quantum Performance - Farmers Branch, TX (Certified SAI Mod Shop) for all the mods probably this spring. I can't wait to get her out of the garage and back on the road!!

IMHO - I agree with LuLu - silly comments like "Hey - nice shelby sticker" are prime time for enlightenment.

Hey - atleast he tried - right? He acknowledged your car - probably feels like a dumb@$$ for what he said after you left when someone told him what a Shelby GT was. ;)

Happy Motoring!! (Can I leave Topeka, KS yet??)

Trevor

#0758 is going to Quantum Performance - Farmers Branch, TX (Certified SAI Mod Shop) for all the mods probably this spring. I can't wait to get her out of the garage and back on the road!!

You're bringing yor car from MN to TX for mods?

That's a heck of a drive!

Mine goes there in the morning....

In my visits to the dealers in our area, I encountered a few gems. I am totally OK with the salespeople who don't know alot because I am sure that those of us who love these cars will always know more than most of them. The ones that I can't stomach are the ones spouting bull--like the fellow who told me he had personally sold about 150 of them...

You're bringing yor car from MN to TX for mods?

That's a heck of a drive!

Well - what are my choices? SAI - Las Vegas (1680~ miles), Tasca Ford (1345~ miles) or Quantum Perf (999~ miles)

I chose TX - I've already been in contact with the VP - Glen Martini - down there and am excited to get things rollin'! TX was shorter distance and easier to get to for me due to my work schedule and such.

My plan is to drive it down there - drop it off for mods - wait the approx week for them to complete it and then drive it back home. Should be one awesome road trip/vacation - not to mention all the other SGT owners that I may encounter along the way. ;)

Trevor

I guess I was lucky. I was at Mayo Clinic in MN. in April for ongoing spine problems & testing. My wife and I had a few days to kill so we went out and about checking out the area. We had been to MI. in March and I checked out some SGT'S out there (talk about dopes :huh: ). But while I was in one of the cars I saw the brochure from Shelby about the Mods that accidently got stuck in my pocket :blink: . So when we were up in MN. I hit a few Ford dealers and came across one in Winona that had just ordered their White SGT, not quite the way I wanted it. The salesman & salesmanager were very knowledgeable about the car & were willing to sell it to me at $500.00 under sticker, change the options & make a deal. So we went back to the motel, called John Walker, verified mods, and went back to the dealer the next day (my wifes birthday) and bought my first brand new car :D After two years of ongoing pain and suffering (still) I thought I deserved a new SGT. Thanks to the guys at the dealership, SAI, and my wife of course this dream came true!

Unfortunately for the automotive industry probably 75% of the salesmen are just plain DOPES that don't know a Mustang from a Yugo :lol:

Thanks to all for listening to me bable on!!!!!!! Love my new GT/SC, hopefully I can drive it soon. Brance :)

Bable away! Hope your back gets better......

The sales people at my dealership GM (Sorry, Not Ford) Have to go thru product Knowlege training so they know everything about what they are selling, and if they don't pass, they don't work there. Just like us Technicians, we have to be 100% GM Trained or you don't work there. I'm not sure how it works at Ford as for pruduct training but, maybe they have a high turnover in sales and thats a contributing factor. Maybe the info is just not getting to them? By now, i would have hoped so. ;)

I seem to have experienced the very same thing.....

In March/April of 2007 (in Miami) when I was researching the SGT at various Ford dealerships, the Coral Gables dealership took the cake....They tried to convince me the SGT did not exist....only the Shelby GT 500 and the Mustang GT were available from Ford, etc...

Needless to say I had to travel to Homestead, FL (where they had a black manual on the floor) so I could order my white auto....Unfortunately, they knew nothing about the availability of Mods so I never knew I could order them.....

But hey, I still love my Shelby! :D

And the 'Looks' haven't stopped! :lol:

RetroAlex #2946

In March/April of 2007 (in Miami) when I was researching the SGT at various Ford dealerships, the Coral Gables dealership took the cake....They tried to convince me the SGT did not exist....only the Shelby GT 500 and the Mustang GT were available from Ford, etc...RetroAlex #2946

And they were not wrong here. All Ford offers for sale is the Mustang GT, and the GT 500. The SGT is an aftermarket upgrade possibility, and not all retail dealers have routine access to SAI. First, they have to know about it's availability, and second, they have to ask for one to be shipped to them.

I think (but I'm not sure) a donor/replacement Mustang GT must be sent out to SAI, but I could be completely wrong on this.

Like anything else, I recommend a real real real fat tire smoking burnout preferably sidways or very very very sideways just shy of a row of new cars as a definite reassurance that "hey not only do I have a sweet ride, but yes I have been to Bob Bondo-oh yeah school of many past wrecks and learned something!" . And then stop and say "its actually got a v-tec in it dude!". Works every time... :P

BTW remember some salespeople are really really really avid car people, like MM. Some are not.

Archived