TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Upgrade Shaker 500 Stereo System?

Been here for a year now, and I don't remember seeing much in the way of audio discussions, but here goes anyway...

I am interested in upgrading the stereo in #4990. I also have a 2004 F-150 SCrew 5.4 which I have updated to include: Kenwood double-din CD head unit, Kenwood CD changer in the center console, Infinity components in the front doors and coaxils in the rear doors and an amplified MTX ThuderForm sub under the rear bench seats. I am looking to do something similar in the Shelby.

Unfortunately, I am a little scared of the Shaker system. I had a 2000 GT with the Mach 460 system, and tying into the factory system to run an aftermarket amp was a HUGH pain.

As the Shelby came with sat. radio and the in-dash changer, I'm thinking of staying with the factory head unit and adding Infinity components in the doors (drilling for the tweeters between the factory speaker openings and the door handles, I guess...not excited about this, but good coaxils don't seem to fit behind the factory covers) and coaxils in the rear deck, plus adding an amplified MTX ThunderForm in the trunk.

My question really relates to the factory 8" subs in the front doors. Has anyone replaced these using the factory mounts? Crutchfield is no help, and I'm too old (35) and lazy to spend days pulling stuff apart and putting it back together without knowing what I'm doing going in.

Also, does anyone know what kind of power the Shaker 500 puts to these factory locations? Figuring that I'll have to add an external amp, but I would consider not doing this if I could find a set of efficient subs (MTX ThunderForm 4500, PolkMomo, JL Audio, etc.). The MTXs, in particular, seem very compact.

Advise is appreciated, as are links to pictures of similar set-ups.

Been here for a year now, and I don't remember seeing much in the way of audio discussions, but here goes anyway...

I am interested in upgrading the stereo in #4990. I also have a 2004 F-150 SCrew 5.4 which I have updated to include: Kenwood double-din CD head unit, Kenwood CD changer in the center console, Infinity components in the front doors and coaxils in the rear doors and an amplified MTX ThuderForm sub under the rear bench seats. I am looking to do something similar in the Shelby.

Unfortunately, I am a little scared of the Shaker system. I had a 2000 GT with the Mach 460 system, and tying into the factory system to run an aftermarket amp was a HUGH pain.

As the Shelby came with sat. radio and the in-dash changer, I'm thinking of staying with the factory head unit and adding Infinity components in the doors (drilling for the tweeters between the factory speaker openings and the door handles, I guess...not excited about this, but good coaxils don't seem to fit behind the factory covers) and coaxils in the rear deck, plus adding an amplified MTX ThunderForm in the trunk.

My question really relates to the factory 8" subs in the front doors. Has anyone replaced these using the factory mounts? Crutchfield is no help, and I'm too old (35) and lazy to spend days pulling stuff apart and putting it back together without knowing what I'm doing going in.

Also, does anyone know what kind of power the Shaker 500 puts to these factory locations? Figuring that I'll have to add an external amp, but I would consider not doing this if I could find a set of efficient subs (MTX ThunderForm 4500, PolkMomo, JL Audio, etc.). The MTXs, in particular, seem very compact.

Advise is appreciated, as are links to pictures of similar set-ups.

I find my Shaker 1000 to be pretty impressive, thats probably the easiest path. I'm sure there are better stereos to be had out there but I've never had a factory stereo that could hold a candle to the 1k.

I find my Shaker 1000 to be pretty impressive, thats probably the easiest path. I'm sure there are better stereos to be had out there but I've never had a factory stereo that could hold a candle to the 1k.

The Shaker 1000 is more than $1K over the base stereo price if you factor in that the Shaker 500 "included" in the Premium package increased the cost of this package. I wish that I had ordered a Deluxe model with leather (according to early press releases, this was not possible...and the only interior color would be dark charcoal, etc., but these options were never locked down by Ford) and then just ripped out the entire system, but hindsight is 20-20, and now I'm just trying to make the best of what I am starting with, which isn't bad, but isn't great either.

I'd say that at least my Shelby's exhaust sounds better than my F-150's when the radio is off, but that's not even true (I installed a set of stainless MBRP cat-back pipes...).

The Shaker 1000 is more than $1K over the base stereo price if you factor in that the Shaker 500 "included" in the Premium package increased the cost of this package. I wish that I had ordered a Deluxe model with leather (according to early press releases, this was not possible...and the only interior color would be dark charcoal, etc., but these options were never locked down by Ford) and then just ripped out the entire system, but hindsight is 20-20, and now I'm just trying to make the best of what I am starting with, which isn't bad, but isn't great either.

I'd say that at least my Shelby's exhaust sounds better than my F-150's when the radio is off, but that's not even true (I installed a set of stainless MBRP cat-back pipes...).

I have the wiring diagrams let me see if I can send them.

I had an 04 GT that had the Mach system..and I added and external amp and subs in the trunk. It sounded awesome.......almost better than the Shaker 1000 that I have now.

In the Mach system..i didnt change any of the interior speakers..just added bigger subs.

Good luck !

You might have better luck cruising the general Mustang sites and posting there. Over on the team Shelby site a guy installed a new Pioneer DVD/Nav system that looks stock. Really nice job. Upgraded the speakers etc. I think your question is a really good general Mustang one and I'm sure there are plenty of people that have done what you're looking to do.

Good luck!

The Shaker 500 is plenty of sound for me but I am old. I never turn the radio on anyway. I love the sound of that naturally aspirated engine and exhaust in second and third gear – fourth and fifth are OK too.

The Shaker 500 is plenty of sound for me but I am old. I never turn the radio on anyway. I love the sound of that naturally aspirated engine and exhaust in second and third gear – fourth and fifth are OK too.

+1

American V-8...music to my ears! What do you need more stereo for...? :D

BTW!

If you use an ipod or burn your own CD's the bit rate quality and any stored equalizer settings etc., that you had when you burned it or set it on your iPod, have MUCH MUCH MUCH more to do with sound quality than the head unit and the speakers. I have a test song "Sultans of Swing" that is perfectly encoded and I use it to show friends. I let them play a song or two then play mine and they think they have a different stereo! Re-ripping your favorites at a high bit rate and such can yield big differences. Of course you could just carry around the real CD's but what fun is that!

-Jeff

You might have better luck cruising the general Mustang sites and posting there. Over on the team Shelby site a guy installed a new Pioneer DVD/Nav system that looks stock. Really nice job. Upgraded the speakers etc. I think your question is a really good general Mustang one and I'm sure there are plenty of people that have done what you're looking to do.

Good luck!

Yeah, I tried that first. No responses at MustangForums.com (username 07ShelbyGT#4990). Will try some of the others soon...

Sorry it took so long. Hope this helps Wiring diagram for Mustang audio..

Got it; thanks!

Hey Wado,

Thanks for posting the wiring diagram. Do you know what "Drain" is for on the #3 Audio Unit connection?

Also, I noticed it says "Page 1 of 5" at the top. Are there 4 other pages somewhere?

Thanks again...

All 5 drawings are there its one file. The drain appears to be a common ground they are using for shield only terminate shield on one end.

All 5 drawings are there its one file. The drain appears to be a common ground they are using for shield only terminate shield on one end.

My bad... using the wrong viewer. I can see all 5 drawings now. Hopefully I won't be seeing any smoke coming out of my center console in the near furture...

Thanks again,

• 1 month later...

Good discussion. I'm considering this head unit from Pioneer http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sTEkdHVN634/A...px?i=130P8000BT. Built-in bluetooth and USB connectivity (for iPods, flash drives, hopefully 2.5" drives). Satellite radio ready. Nice, elegant look. Not busy with buttons, very understated. Will fit the Mustang cockpit quite nicely I think. Available Spring 2008 according to Pioneer's site. Crutchfield's fitment guide says it doesn't fit but this must be a mistake. Probably because it's not in stock yet. It's standard double DIN and all other double DINs are said to fit. I've emailed Crutchfield for clarification.

Archived