TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What oil do you use ?

SGT2666

As to "Shelby recommended 5W-30 as opposed to 5W-20 oil because they felt we would drive the cars harder than the average 4.6 liter driver", thats plain drivel!

Not knowing to whom you are directing this quote - 07 or SAI - this topic has been disscussed ad nauseum here in the past. The SAI owners manual recommends 5w-30 for whatever reason. I don't know if that was changed for the 2008 model.

I was watching the channel all men watch SPIKE TV thats right horsepower TV lol They did an interesting test today comparing Dyno runs one with standard oil the other with Royal Purple synthetic. They were able to show an 8 almost 9 hp improvement with the synthetic on a 400+hp motor. You can't believe what you see on TV but I did think it was interesting none the less.

Amsoil 5w30 with WIX filter

Not knowing to whom you are directing this quote - 07 or SAI - this topic has been disscussed ad nauseum here in the past. The SAI owners manual recommends 5w-30 for whatever reason. I don't know if that was changed for the 2008 model.

Again - ad nauseum - the 2008 SAI (and Ford) owners manuals say 5W-20, so now you do know!

Well, maybe I have to reconsider part of my last post in which I stated I hoped we could all just express our opinions, hopefully based on knowledge and experience, but I see someone wants to make personal attacks on me. Oh well. So I am now the walking Amsoil advert. I do not have any relationship with amsoil except to purchase their product. If you wish to use your brand so be it. I am certainly not going to attack you for it. As far as pure drivel... Well, it was Bud from SAI that explained why SAI recommended the 30 weight oil. I am sure you know more than Bud, SAI, myself and many others combined so please feel free to use as you desire. If you are stating this is pure drivel then please realize you are now making an attack on Bud also.

Just surprising how some have to result to attacking others if they feel someone does not agree with them. I guess we all have to do as one person now orders!

The 07SGT has the label under the hood, from SAI, recommending 5W-30. Apparently they are not making the same recommendation for 2008 as I have checked a 2008 and did not see the label.

I am sure as long as we all use a premium oil and filter with regular changes our vehicles should last a very long time unless abused beyond their design. Hope that statement doesn't offend anyone or sound like a "walking amsoil advert."

It's a forum, don't make it personal. Good Luck

I use Mobil 1 5w-20.. Got 6 quarts at Wal-Mart for $28.. :D

And they have the motorcraft filters as well. B)

+1 for me

Well, maybe I have to reconsider part of my last post in which I stated I hoped we could all just express our opinions, hopefully based on knowledge and experience, but I see someone wants to make personal attacks on me. Oh well. So I am now the walking Amsoil advert. I do not have any relationship with amsoil except to purchase their product. If you wish to use your brand so be it. I am certainly not going to attack you for it. As far as pure drivel... Well, it was Bud from SAI that explained why SAI recommended the 30 weight oil. I am sure you know more than Bud, SAI, myself and many others combined so please feel free to use as you desire. If you are stating this is pure drivel then please realize you are now making an attack on Bud also.

Just surprising how some have to result to attacking others if they feel someone does not agree with them. I guess we all have to do as one person now orders!

The 07SGT has the label under the hood, from SAI, recommending 5W-30. Apparently they are not making the same recommendation for 2008 as I have checked a 2008 and did not see the label.

I am sure as long as we all use a premium oil and filter with regular changes our vehicles should last a very long time unless abused beyond their design. Hope that statement doesn't offend anyone or sound like a "walking amsoil advert."

It's a forum, don't make it personal. Good Luck

No sticker under the hood on mine 07SGT, just says 5w20 there.

Amsoil 5w30 with WIX filter

I hope you treat your new engine to something better than a WIX. I've seen very poor performance from these filters in hard applications. 499 at the wheels on a WIX, please tell me it ain't so?

Just surprising how some have to result to attacking others if they feel someone does not agree with them.

Doesn't matter to me what we're discussing, there is no reason, or, excuse for attacking one another on a personal basis. Once we start down that negative path, no one learns anything new.

The remark should be retracted and an apology is due.

C'mon guys, are we not a tad above this?

I didn't see this program about a 9 HP gain, I don't get the speed channel here. But, I find it hard to swallow right now. If they cut the car lose from the dyno to change oil and filter, this may have had an affect of the quality of the pulls, i.e. strap down tension, tire placement on the roller, and so on. Guess I'll have to poke around a bit, see what's on the web.

Meanwhile, I prefer the bulk Motorcraft 5W20 and Motorcraft filter from my dealership. If my SGT engine goes south down the road, I don't want any warranty issues about aftermarket products. If something isn't up to FMC specs, Ford will turn your claim down and make you fight them.

Doesn't matter to me what the Shelby sticker says, the engine oil cap says 5W20 and Shelby doesn't warranty the engine, Ford does. Oil specs are 5W20 in the big red book, XO-5W20-QSP (US).

+1

Although after my second oil changed i switched to the Ford Full Syn 5/20. Had lunch with one of there rep's the other day (Ford in our auto group) and said it will keep you in the clear warranty wise should a failure occur due to lubrication issues with far less hassle's.

+1 for me

No sticker under the hood on mine 07SGT, just says 5w20 there.

Wicked- I have a sticker, under the hood, from Shelby recommending 5W-30. There was a previous thread on this issue. The sticker also addresses timing issues etc. It may be referred to as the CARB sticker. Apparently early models did not receive the sticker and then somewhere in production SAI added the sticker. SAI stated it was because of the flash tune and they thought that Shelby drivers may drive the vehicle harder than regular.

There was even a thread with photos of the sticker.

I do not know where the cut off number in production was. My vehicle number is over 4,000 if that will help you.

Again, I think as long as we use premium oil 20 or 30 weight, with the best filters, and regular changes our engines will perform very well for a long time. When looking at filters I use the multi pass efficiency test and try to find the highest percentage. I would look for a filter that traps a minimum of 20, if not 15, microns. Many of the different brands have different levels of efficiency. Fram has several different grades of oil filters with the different tests. Again, I recommend the multi-pass as opposed to the single pass.

Purolator has a very high efficiency filter for their best filter. Their other filters are lesser.

Good Luck!

07 SGT

I didn't see this program about a 9 HP gain, I don't get the speed channel here. But, I find it hard to swallow right now. If they cut the car lose from the dyno to change oil and filter, this may have had an affect of the quality of the pulls, i.e. strap down tension, tire placement on the roller, and so on. Guess I'll have to poke around a bit, see what's on the web.

Meanwhile, I prefer the bulk Motorcraft 5W20 and Motorcraft filter from my dealership. If my SGT engine goes south down the road, I don't want any warranty issues about aftermarket products. If something isn't up to FMC specs, Ford will turn your claim down and make you fight them.

Doesn't matter to me what the Shelby sticker says, the engine oil cap says 5W20 and Shelby doesn't warranty the engine, Ford does. Oil specs are 5W20 in the big red book, XO-5W20-QSP (US).

I agree LuLu, thats what i use also, always have. In fact i don't even change it myself anymore. For the 20 bucks and change the dealer charges, it's not worth the hassle to do it myself and then have to dispose of the drain oil. Plus if there's an engine warranty issue as you said, they have it on record that they serviced it every 3,000 miles with Motorcraft.

On the issue of more h.p. one oil verses the other, I worked a dyno for many years, a car that is run not warmed up and cold oil, i could show you 3h.p. right there to a car with hot oil. Now if there running a thick 20/50 cold verses a 0/20 warm/hot oil this can show big differences. Dynos are very sensiative machines. Heck i had all kinds of tricks to show more h.p.when needed

I agree LuLu, thats what i use also, always have. In fact i don't even change it myself anymore. For the 20 bucks and change the dealer charges, it's not worth the hassle to do it myself and then have to dispose of the drain oil. Plus if there's an engine warranty issue as you said, they have it on record that they serviced it every 3,000 miles with Motorcraft.

Thank you, STL. This has been my habit longer than I can recall. Even with my high HP supercharged heavy cars running in the 11s, but still driving on the street too.

I believe (and I have often posted my belief), "the best engine oil is clean oil", and I drain every 2500-3000 miles. I also "drain and change" just before every road trip, and just once, I did so before the drive back home.

You see, my cars are also "road" cars, driven anywhere across the country at the drop of my hat. Where ever I want to go and at the instant I decide to open my garage door. So, they have to be ready to roll that way, get me?

20 bucks and pocket change, why bother doing it myself? Good oil, best filter, no disposal worry...Add it up? Twenty bucks...Sh*t...20 bucks doesn't buy you a decent lunch 4 two anymore, but your engine gets fed the lubrication it wants.

Underneath all the glamor, the SGT engine is a stock 4.6L-3V, and all it needs is clean oil. If you believe that fancy/slick synthetics make it happen for you, I'm okay with that, post up. But, rather than shop for them just to find them on sale Hell, it's a lot easier to just drop by my dealeship, have a cup of coffee with my friends, get the correct oil and filter, and drive out 20 bucks later. Just taking my girl LuLu out for lunch...

Works for me, y'all be safe.

I worked a dyno for many years, a car that is run not warmed up and cold oil, i could show you 3h.p. right there to a car with hot oil. Now if there running a thick 20/50 cold verses a 0/20 warm/hot oil this can show big differences. Dynos are very sensiative machines. Heck i had all kinds of tricks to show more h.p.when needed

I'd love to trade dyno tricks with you, let's start a fresh thread? Maybe "Dyno 101"?

LULU,on the thoughts of doing a Dyno thread.....how bout testin on dyno,at say 5,000 miles,and 30,000 miles. Same car,same dyno shop,no mods etc between 5,000-30,000 miles. I would be interested in that data.

Proving what? Expecting to find something we don't already know?

Archived