TEAM SHELBY FORUM

? for the owners of White SGT's

wmoore

The question I have concerns the colors of your front and rear bumbers/facias. Is it a different color than the body? I have seen 3 White SGT's in North Dakota and all 3 cars bumpers are a slightly different color white than the body.

I do own a Black SGT and I'm not trying to start something, just asking a ? guys. LOL

The question I have concerns the colors of your front and rear bumbers/facias. Is it a different color than the body? I have seen 3 White SGT's in North Dakota and all 3 cars bumpers are a slightly different color white than the body.

I do own a Black SGT and I'm not trying to start something, just asking a ? guys. LOL

If you look close in the right light it is a slightly different color, almost a yellow tint. This has been the case on all 2005+ Mustangs in white as far as I know. Did not change my Color choice. I am told it has something to do with the bumper being plastic.

This is due to the "flexible additive" that needs to be added to paint so on things like a bumper that are meant to move and flex the paint won't crack and flake off. This has the effect of casting a slight yellow, with white, hue. Depending upon how much is added it can be more or less. A REALLY good painter can use some other techniques to keep the white VERY close to the original but Ford doesn't have the time to do that for every car and take on the possible liability if it isn't "good enough" and cracks.

Being in the auto insurance industry for nearly 10 years and having several customer's vehicles going to shops for repairs. . . . . . this is something that happens offten.

White isn't just White - there are several different mixtures of white. Black is Black is Black - there's no matching issues. . . . White is hard to match.

The paint adheres differently to metal than it does to plastic. Therefore the color sometimes appears a slightly different shade. Also - as mentioned above - the flex additive in the paint going on the plastic bumper covers does have an affect on the color.

Take a second to look at other cars in the parking lot next time you are at a mall or somewhere where there is a lot of cars. Look at the plastic front/rear bumper covers and compare them to the metal body panels - you will see that a lot of them are slightly different in color regardless of what color they are.

Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that the CS Covers put on our cars had to be painted. It's a different paint mixture then that of the paint put on our cars in Michigan when they were built.

Long story short - no you don't need glasses and you're not imagining things - yes this is normal, but it should be close to a dead on match - it should NOT be a night and day difference.

It is this reason why I'm fearful about putting the CS6 Hood on my Vista Blue SGT - I'd have to Blend the paint down to the fenders. Otherwise I'll have the same paint matching issues you're seeing. This would be because the mixture used to paint the new hood would be different color mixture than what was used on my car when it was built in Michigan. ;)

Trevor

Being in the auto insurance industry for nearly 10 years and having several customer's vehicles going to shops for repairs. . . . . . this is something that happens offten.

White isn't just White - there are several different mixtures of white. Black is Black is Black - there's no matching issues. . . . White is hard to match.

The paint adheres differently to metal than it does to plastic. Therefore the color sometimes appears a slightly different shade. Also - as mentioned above - the flex additive in the paint going on the bumper cover does have an affect on the color.

Take a second to look at other cars in the parking lot next time you are at a mall or somewhere where there is a lot of cars. Look at the bumper covers and compared to the body panels - you will see that a lot of them are slightly different in color.

Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that the CS Cover put on our cars had to be painted. It's a different paint mixture then that of the paint put on our cars in Michigan when they were built.

Long story short - no you don't need glasses and you're not imagining things - yes this is normal, but it shouldn't be a night and day difference.

It is this reason why I'm fearful about putting the CS6 Hood on my Vista Blue SGT - I'd have to Blend the paint down to the fenders otherwise I'll have the same paint matching issues you're seeing. ;)

Trevor

I agree with your conclusion, Trevor, but not with how you got there. Here's my "non-professional" take of the difference in shades of white.

White is the absence of all color, and black is all colors mixed together. Thus, white on any surface (automotive, or, not) is affected by the "undercoat". Undercoating is something we don't see much of anymore. Years ago, it was also known as "primer" and "base coat", which was usually dull gray, or, dull rusty something, depending on the paint color intended. I remember from working in a parts house back in the late '60s, when suddenly, all body replacement panels came to us flat black, rather than bare metal. I suppose that if the body shop has to work with a variety of colors, flat black was a good place to start. Must have saved them prep expense on 50% of the colors popular back then.

Today, bumper covers are PVC molds and usually yellow if it's a clean mixture, as it should be in new production/replacement parts. Black covers all previous colors because it absorbs the yellow surface color. It doesn't have to shine, just cover and clearcoating will make it shine. OTOH, white doesn't absorb any color, let alone the yellow PVC, because it's not a color contained in white. This can make it appear slightly "pale", and this differs from part to part, and car to car.

Just remembered...A few years back, I had some drywall I wanted painted white, but it needed some patching up before painting. I wrote notes to the painter on the drywall with a red crayon, just some circles and arrows around what I wanted smoothed out. You can still read my notes today, after 4 coats of the thickest hide-white paint I can find. The painter later said all he could do was wash it all over with a coat of gray "primer" and apply white again, and not for free. Since it was just my garage, I said "fugg it, so what" to that expense.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The yellow tint of the PVC bumper cover affects the overall white depth and shade, and you can't do much about it without repainting the whole car with the same undercoat.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The yellow tint of the PVC bumper cover affects the overall white depth and shade, and you can't do much about it without repainting the whole car with the same undercoat.

I only know because I backed into a rock and had to have the rear fascia replaced and it looks identical to the rest of the car. The body shop Paint manager said he added the lowest level of additive he felt comfortable with and that's why the paint matched better.

But again...I'm not expert but my rear facia looks just as white as the rest of the car.

The paint adheres differently to metal than it does to plastic. Therefore the color sometimes appears a slightly different shade. Also - as mentioned above - the flex additive in the paint going on the plastic bumper covers does have an affect on the color.

Take a second to look at other cars in the parking lot next time you are at a mall or somewhere where there is a lot of cars. Look at the plastic front/rear bumper covers and compare them to the metal body panels - you will see that a lot of them are slightly different in color regardless of what color they are.

Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that the CS Covers put on our cars had to be painted. It's a different paint mixture then that of the paint put on our cars in Michigan when they were built.

Long story short - no you don't need glasses and you're not imagining things - yes this is normal, but it should be close to a dead on match - it should NOT be a night and day difference.

It is this reason why I'm fearful about putting the CS6 Hood on my Vista Blue SGT - I'd have to Blend the paint down to the fenders. Otherwise I'll have the same paint matching issues you're seeing. This would be because the mixture used to paint the new hood would be different color mixture than what was used on my car when it was built in Michigan. ;)

Trevor

Being in the Auto Body & Auto Repair Business for 25 years there are several reasons why the bumpers are a different shade. As LuLu mentioned the undercoat or value shade as it's now called has an effect, the mixture of the base coat and amount of coats has an effect, and the amount of flex additive and paint process

has an effect. Some paint codes for the same vehicle can have 7 or 8 different variances depending upon when and where the part was painted. It's not only white but mainly the lighter colors and the metallics (check out the difference in the metallic on a bumper next to sheetmetal sometime). Last but not least there are as many or more different paint formula's for black as white. On a black or dark colered vehicle you generally cannot see the difference. By the way, to answer your question my rear bumper is a tad yellow also :)

Brance

A bit of fun science:

White is a mixture of ALL colors - believe it or not!

No, I don't mean mixing all colors together, because when you do that you get a hideous shade of brown!

Light is "bent" or reflected off of various surfaces/materials differently, thereby changing the color we perceive.

Want proof? Find a decent color wheel, one with most or all of the rainbow colors, attach it to something that will spin it, this will "mix" the colors and viola, you have white!

Don't believe me? Try it!

Archived