TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gimmie your opinion

stump_breaker

I had a problem with the rear tires feathering and cupping. Originally from qick inspection I was told it appears the shocks are bad. Took it to the dealership on Wed and got a call this afternoon:

D: Everything is within Ford factory specs.

Me: Ford factory specs? It's an aftermarket Shelby, do Ford specs apply?

D: Yes.

D: Problem is due to tire underinflation.

Me: Then why didn't the TPMS alert me?

D: (stammering) I guess we will have to check that.

I called back 15mintes later It's now 5:15pm

Me: Were you going to check the TPMS tonight or what?

D: Oh, we already checked that I was just telling you that underinflation could cause your problem.

Me: (paused to try and grasp previos conversation)

D: (changing subject) We had a Shelby (SGT) and installed the beefier Frod Racing suspension.

Me: (getting sucked into his subject change) My Shelby has the beefier Ford Racing suspension.

D: Oh no, there is one beefier than that. (obviously he was a fan of the word beefier)

Me: Nevermind, my wife will be by at 5:30 to get the car.

Ok. My idiot sense is tingling. Should I calm down or find yet another dealership? I can be overly sensitive when it comes to working on my vehicles - especially really expensive ones.

MM, why are you so far away from TX? It's geting to be almost worth the drive up there!

Have you modified in any way that would affect the rear suspension? Do you have stock tires and wheels?

Assuming that your car is un-modified, I would start over by calling the Shelby warranty number in the Shelby manual, which connects you with Ford Racing, and also, get the car to another dealer. the mechanic has no idea what he is doing.

I had a problem with the rear tires feathering and cupping. Originally from qick inspection I was told it appears the shocks are bad. Took it to the dealership on Wed and got a call this afternoon:

D: Everything is within Ford factory specs.

Me: Ford factory specs? It's an aftermarket Shelby, do Ford specs apply?

D: Yes.

D: Problem is due to tire underinflation.

Me: Then why didn't the TPMS alert me?

D: (stammering) I guess we will have to check that.

I called back 15mintes later It's now 5:15pm

Me: Were you going to check the TPMS tonight or what?

D: Oh, we already checked that I was just telling you that underinflation could cause your problem.

Me: (paused to try and grasp previos conversation)

D: (changing subject) We had a Shelby (SGT) and installed the beefier Frod Racing suspension.

Me: (getting sucked into his subject change) My Shelby has the beefier Ford Racing suspension.

D: Oh no, there is one beefier than that. (obviously he was a fan of the word beefier)

Me: Nevermind, my wife will be by at 5:30 to get the car.

Ok. My idiot sense is tingling. Should I calm down or find yet another dealership? I can be overly sensitive when it comes to working on my vehicles - especially really expensive ones.

MM, why are you so far away from TX? It's geting to be almost worth the drive up there!

Stump,

Go with your instincts, run. Unfortunately you're going to have to find another dealer, that has a little more savvy service department. There out there about one in four.

What gets me about some dealerships is they just start replacing parts and use the process of elimination until they get it right, if at all. But in the end they get their money for the warranty work. And then others will find any reason under the sun to avoid warranty work. All I can say is keep looking. Find a local Mustang club, see if you can get some referrals from them.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Dave

Honestly can't imagine many things that could cause that kind of problem on the back end. He may well be correct that its a tire pressure issue. Its my understanding that the service is being done by Ford dealers but the warranty is through Shelby. Some of the dealers don't seem to savvy on dealing with Shelby I think calling them directly might be the ticket.

"Feathering" and "cupping" are not the same. One symptom at a time would make sense if it was the front tires. Then I would suggest checking the alignment and balance, but you say it's your rear tires wearing this way and both symptoms appearing simultaneously. This is rare, but not impossible. It does suggest underinflation as the common cause.

Yeah, it sounds like this guy you're talking to doesn't understand performance tires and suspension, and he also believes you know less than he thinks he knows. However, if you have a bad/broken shock, or, a weak/loose sway bar bushing, it could happen this way. If they replace anything, get the old parts?

Like others have said already, get another opinion. This is a very unusual situation, and it sure sounds like there is more smoke than fire.

With regard to the "low tire pressure" warning, keep in mind that the wheel sensors are radio signals and battery operated. Like garage door openers, there is a gazillion frequencies, and it's possible that the sensor signal isn't reaching the control module. On this track, I deflated my tires one pound at a time to check operation and alarm threshold, and found that my threshold for warning on my SGT is 26 PSI. Thus, running around at 27 PSI could lead to your problem, and without sensor warning.

Without knowing more about your wheel tire combination (if not stock), I have no more advice on this, But, if you have been running around with low tire PSI, it all makes sense to me. Broken suspension parts are always possible, but I believe doubtful here, considering the durability of the Shelby/FRP accessories.

Get your car to someone who knows what they are talking about, and keep us posted?

"Feathering" and "cupping" are not the same. One symptom at a time would make sense if it was the front tires. Then I would suggest checking the alignment and balance, but you say it's your rear tires wearing this way and both symptoms appearing simultaneously. This is rare, but not impossible. It does suggest underinflation as the common cause.

Yeah, it sounds like this guy you're talking to doesn't understand performance tires and suspension, and he also believes you know less than he thinks he knows. However, if you have a bad/broken shock, or, a weak/loose sway bar bushing, it could happen this way. If they replace anything, get the old parts?

Like others have said already, get another opinion. This is a very unusual situation, and it sure sounds like there is more smoke than fire.

With regard to the "low tire pressure" warning, keep in mind that the wheel sensors are radio signals and battery operated. Like garage door openers, there is a gazillion frequencies, and it's possible that the sensor signal isn't reaching the control module. On this track, I deflated my tires one pound at a time to check operation and alarm threshold, and found that my threshold for warning on my SGT is 26 PSI. Thus, running around at 27 PSI could lead to your problem, and without sensor warning.

Without knowing more about your wheel tire combination (if not stock), I have no more advice on this, But, if you have been running around with low tire PSI, it all makes sense to me. Broken suspension parts are always possible, but I believe doubtful here, considering the durability of the Shelby/FRP accessories.

Get your car to someone who knows what they are talking about, and keep us posted?

my local dealership told me to run them at 35 psi... i have the BF Goodriches on my stock 18"s

my local dealership told me to run them at 35 psi... i have the BF Goodriches on my stock 18"s

This is good advice, take it. Inflate to 36-37 PSI and back down to 35 PSI from there. You will feel/notice a difference. Not only in ride comfort, but in tire performance.

Archived