TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does anyone know what happens when you fire the engine with a plastic bag around the air intake?

ShelbyCobra826

Kids; don't try this at home.

First, let me start by saying that the rain wasn't supposed to get to our area until about 4:30 on Sunday afternoon. After lunch, I took #4990 out of the garage and vaccumed it out, then put a plastic bag over the intake so that I could hose off the engine compartment (just like I almost always do). After getting it sprayed off, darn if it didn't start to rain. So...I dropped the hood and left the car sitting to wait out the rain.

Well, it rained for two hours (which is great given the current drought conditions), and by the time it stopped, I forgot about the bag. Of course, I washed the car from top to bottom, and about the time I was finishing up, it started to mist ever so slightly. At this time, I decided that it would be a much better idea to pull it back into the garage and dry it off there...

...needless to say, the car ran for about 1.5 seconds before it shut off. :blink: This reason was immediately and clearly obvious. :o I popped the hood and found what you see in the first and second picture (before I removed the bag, of course). :angry: The third picture was my attempt to reform the filter. :(

I think that I will be needing a new filter. At least there are no car shows until the spring...

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! It took me two days to be able to laugh at this situation, but I figured that once I could find humor in it, maybe y'all could too. Believe me, it won't happen again.

LOL I dont mean to laugh but when I read the title it made me smile. Look at it this way....if it had been back in the 60's the bag would be inside the rngine and you night have bigger problems. Now if you could get CS to sign that filter you might be able to Ebay it as a one off original filter! ;)

LOL I dont mean to laugh but when I read the title it made me smile. Look at it this way....if it had been back in the 60's the bag would be inside the rngine and you night have bigger problems. Now if you could get CS to sign that filter you might be able to Ebay it as a one off original filter! ;)

"...used in factory pre-production planning and testing..."

Don't feel bad........one time on a very expensive car I had years ago I jacked it up and put jack stands under it so that i could safely work on something under the car. When I was done I pulled one jack stand only out far enough to clear the frame, the result was when I let the floor jack down the jack stand caught the fender and crinkled it up about half way! Major brain fart on my part!

Ahh, geeez, now every plastic bag will have a disclaimer “Do not wrap around air intake and start engine” on it.

However, I can identify with this situation since my memory is really good but very short. I hate to let you young bucks (and does) know but things like this start to happen more frequently as you age. :)

Tell Ford,that when you exceeded 130 mph in your car,you noticed that the car wouldn't go any faster,and started to feel sluggish. Upon poppin the hood,you noticed that the Ford filter was caving on on account of the amount of suction at such speed. Then proceed to tell Ford about having a 140-160 mph limit on the gauge, (I never drive it so it could read 80 for all I know) and tell them to give you a new filter,that will allow you to use the car to it's full potential.

Ouch....almost as bad as me opening my hood with my windsheild wipers pulled out ! :o

I also have a 2004 F-150 SCrew 5.4, and the factory silver touch up paint nearly matches the stripes just perfectly for those times when you just have to touch up that trailing edge on the hood...

...not that I have had to use it myself! ;)

I can identify with this situation since my memory is really good but very short. I hate to let you young bucks (and does) know but things like this start to happen more frequently as you age. :)

I'm only 35, DAGGONIT!!!!! This isn't supposed to be happing yet. :blink:

Tell Ford,that when you exceeded 130 mph in your car,you noticed that the car wouldn't go any faster,and started to feel sluggish. Upon poppin the hood,you noticed that the Ford filter was caving on on account of the amount of suction at such speed. Then proceed to tell Ford about having a 140-160 mph limit on the gauge, (I never drive it so it could read 80 for all I know) and tell them to give you a new filter,that will allow you to use the car to it's full potential.

That, my friend, is a splendid idea. Now I wish that I had titled this thread "Does anyone know what happens to the factory air filter when you exceed 130 mph...". Next time, I call you first! B)

So, Cobra826, you just hose out the engine compartment and, what, wipe it out?

Compressed air does the trick; I learned this when I used to clean out all the nooks and crannies in the V-twin when I washed my Harley (sold it when my 5-year-old son was born; didn't want you to think that I just quit washing it...).

Archived