TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Pro Plus Brake System

AFBLUE

http://scottdrake.net/SPPCatalog2007LO-RES.pdf Page 13.

Does anybody know if these will fit with the factory SGT wheels. Probably discussed before, but search for "pro plus brake" turned up nothing.

It doesn't really say if this kit will fit the 18" SGT wheel, but the kit looks fairly beefy. My guess is no, you will need new wheels. My other guess is that the only kit offered by SPP that will fit the stock SGT wheel, is the two piston BaerClaw kit on page 12. At least this kit has a matching 14" rear kit.

http://scottdrake.net/SPPCatalog2007LO-RES.pdf Page 13.

Does anybody know if these will fit with the factory SGT wheels. Probably discussed before, but search for "pro plus brake" turned up nothing.

Mark,

I would say no but since they are new and it says they are a "perfect compliment for your Shelby GT," I would call and ask. The two piston kit that LuLu was refering to does not fit under the stock wheels. In fact, one of the guys at SPP told me that the two piston kit fits even worse then the extreme kit. The caliper rises further away from the rotor then that of the extreme kit.

Mark,

I would say no but since they are new and it says they are a "perfect compliment for your Shelby GT," I would call and ask. The two piston kit that LuLu was refering to does not fit under the stock wheels. In fact, one of the guys at SPP told me that the two piston kit fits even worse then the extreme kit. The caliper rises further away from the rotor then that of the extreme kit.

Chris this is the same kit you have on your car if I'm not mistaking. Mark, if it is, it will not fit the 18" wheels. :(

They are talking about two different kits. I have the two piston kit, to be replaced when I can afford it, that Lulu was talking about. It won't fit. Mark asked about the pro plus kit that is available in Feb. It is a new kit. i don't think it will fit but call SPP. They are very helpful and will tell you. The do have the 18" S1 kit coming in Jan that will fit over the brakes.

I would call and ask. The two piston kit that LuLu was refering to does not fit under the stock wheels. In fact, one of the guys at SPP told me that the two piston kit fits even worse then the extreme kit. The caliper rises further away from the rotor then that of the extreme kit.

Quite possible, socal, and could be exactly why SPP is offering this new Shelby/Baer "Pro-Plus" caliper and kit. It's dimensions seem a lot different from the previous offerings. More, but smaller pots means brake torque is speread out over a wider swept area of the rotor, and not as heavily concentrated on two massive pots. Could be a big improvement in brake performance.

I called Shelby too, a few months back, and I was told that they (the Mod Shop) never tried this specific combination of the two pot BearClaw kit with stock SGT wheels. So, it's up in the air, eh? However, I have some Marauder wheels on hand that I know fit over the BearClaw two pot kit and these wheels have a different backspacing from the SGT wheel. 6.295" for the Marauder wheel (FRP #M-1007-GTR) while the SGT wheel has a 6.82" backspace (FRP # M-1007-S1885B), but the tailoring of the spokes is quite different between these wheels. It's close, have to check it out first hand.

I also noted that the SPP catalogue says that the stock GT500 wheel (FRP # M-1007-1895/1895B) wheel is a perfect fit for these brake upgrades, and this wheel has a 7.125" backspace, so, this might be where the difference hides, in backspace clearance.

In a few weeks, I'll have a field test completed, but like many other things, I feel there will be some trade-offs to contend with. The Marauder wheel will fiit the car and brake kit, but, it's only an 8" wide wheel, thus, I will be limited to a 255mm wide tire. Though adequate for the S197 frame and weight, I'd like to have a little more rubber on the ground. The 8.5" wide stock SGT wheel will allow me up to 265mm wide contact patch, and the stock GT500 9.5" wide wheel will allow up to a 295mm wide tire. Dayum, everything seems to have a trade-off...WTF?

The new kit asked about here isn't ready for release yet, catalogue says "Feb. '08". Maybe sooner? This may be a leaner and meaner upgrade that won't require new wheels/tires. Sure hope so...

Archived