TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bullit's cold air kit....

SWEDESHELBY1

I looked at the Bullits cold air kit in depth today and I like it much better than the SGT's. When doing a side-by-side comparrison the Bullits looks so much more high tech than ours. I was impressed with this cars "complete" package with all the upgrades - 373's, Bullit's badging, new Bullit strut tower brace, upgraded factory brakes, upgraded shifting mechanism kit, 1/2+ lower than the normal GT Mustang, 2" harmonic balancer for higher shifting RPM's (that does give you more run and gun and yes make a difference, small but a difference), and mose of all the sound of this car is supposed to mimick the Bullit from the past.

I think the SGT is a MUCH MUCH better looking car and will always be, but the performance of the Bullit from the "factory" is a +1 kudos to Ford bigtime. Nice performing car all around and even though I hate to say it it will most likely beat our SGT's in the 1/4 mile even though they are rated the same @ 13.5-13.7 1/4 mile times????

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, if the Mustang and SGT continue on for 09 and I'd be up for a trade in! IF they had white again.

Amy told us a couple of months ago, there will be no 2009 Shelby GT. I bet the Bullit and the Shelby GT are just too similar for Ford.

.......That gives SAI plenty of time to develop the 2010 GT350!!!! :P

I find the Bullit to be awefully bland on the outside but it does seem to be a hardy performer. Mustang 5.0 and superfords just took one to the drag strip and the results were very strong.

I just read @ Mustangs 5.0 that these were beating the Shelby GT's on the Ford track! I think Shelby missed the boat with the HP rating on this car, I know you have heard it from me before and before and before, but really they put together an awesome package but left out the one main ingredient, HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!!! There is only only one way to skin this cat, a SC and new gears just to start with. The Bullitt has nothing on the SGT in the looks department, but the overall performance package is must stronger and now it seems it beats the SGT on the track! I am sorry to say that as the car is $5K lower than ours MSRP to MSRP! Unreal, but true very true-

Wow, were those tests side-by-side, same conditions and do both Shelby GT's and Bullits have the same tires?

LuLu might have read the same stuff but it was NOT FORD authorized stuff just done by testing people who have drove both. I am NOT going to waste a lot of time on this issue as it would be just that a waste of time. We just know by putting the numbers together i.e.: lighter car, higher RPM range, 373 gears, better cold air kit, more Hp with premium fuel( 315 HP with regular gas and 325 with premium gas, supposedly) the car will beat our SGT's just with those numbers alone. It is a shame BUT Shelby new it all along that is why they called the car a "Shelby GT and not a GT350". The Shelby GT basically is a GT Mustang that has a few tweaks. they shoud,have differentiated the horse power alot more without us having to resort to a SC.

I know I know this is my beef and it always will be! In my mind they f*cked this SGT up with small hp gains to a stock Mustang GT, thus the name Shelby Gt instead of Mustang GT!

Until we see a true side-by-side comparison we won't know the facts. It really doesn't matter, I was just curious and, I agree, no need to waste time on this.

The Bullitt will outperform the Shelby given the exact same conditions. At least in the quarter mile. I would hope the SGT would win in the twisties, but the gearing in the Bullitt gives in an advantage.

There are a few things I like about the Bullitt over the SGT. I like the flexible CAI/tune that allows you to use 87 or 93 automatically. I will probably like the ride better (softer than the SGT). I like that it comes with 3:73s and doesn't have a GGT (that one pisses me off), and I like the price better.

Things I like about the Shelby GT: 1) It's a Shelby. 2) I prefer the looks of the SGT over the Bullitt, modern day 66 GT 350. Those 2 alone still make me want the SGT more.

From a purely performance to $ standpoint, the Bullitt is a better deal, but so is a Mustang GT. I knew the Bulltt was coming out prior to ordering an SGT and had a pretty good idea how much it would cost and rough idea how much power it would have. Knowing what I know now, I would do the exact same thing. There is always something faster coming down the pike.

No regrets.

The Bullitt will outperform the Shelby given the exact same conditions. At least in the quarter mile. I would hope the SGT would win in the twisties, but the gearing in the Bullitt gives in an advantage.

There are a few things I like about the Bullitt over the SGT. I like the flexible CAI/tune that allows you to use 87 or 93 automatically. I will probably like the ride better (softer than the SGT). I like that it comes with 3:73s and doesn't have a GGT (that one pisses me off), and I like the price better.

Things I like about the Shelby GT: 1) It's a Shelby. 2) I prefer the looks of the SGT over the Bullitt, modern day 66 GT 350. Those 2 alone still make me want the SGT more.

From a purely performance to $ standpoint, the Bullitt is a better deal, but so is a Mustang GT. I knew the Bulltt was coming out prior to ordering an SGT and had a pretty good idea how much it would cost and rough idea how much power it would have. Knowing what I know now, I would do the exact same thing. There is always something faster coming down the pike.

No regrets.

The only regret i will ever have about this car is..................not ordering the SC because I did not know you could! Now that p*isses me off to no end. Other than that there is nothing that even comes close to it in the looks category, not Cervini, not Saleen, not Steeda, not Rousch (really not them). So we have the baddest looking cars but the HP story will continue till the car is either dead and gone or I am!

Just a few thoughts on some of the comments posted here, not trying to start anything.

Gents...Stop wringing your hands over horsepower, it's value is highly overated. Torque moves the car, watch the torque numbers. More torque = faster car, horsepower is just another speedo of sorts, an index factor. If you add a mod that bumps your HP, but you lose torque, you will have a slower car.

The newspaper article...Boy-oh-boy, if that writer knows as much about the new Bullit as he know about the film of the same name, I wouldn't believe a word of what he says. He's got so much mis-fact about the film, it's funny. He may have driven a demo car from Ford, but he never watched Bullit.

Wonder if the Bulllit got a 90mm MAF along with it's new CAI? The SGT did.

Larger dampner (balancer)...On all modular engines, the crankshaft is "neutral balanced" internally, and balance is achieved externally by dampner and flywheel, both of which are bolted directly to the crankshaft as counterweights. The oil pump rides on the crank snout, and it is very sensitive to vibration. Powerded metal again, throw something off balance and the powder metal oil pump gears dissolve from snout vibration. When it comes apart, you lose an engine. This is another reason why detonation is life-threatening, and pre-ignition is immediately fatal.

The larger dampner observed makes sense to me, but I disagree that it adds any performance. My SGT's dampner weighs 9.9 pounds, so, if this new dampner is larger, it's also heavier, maybe a full 10 pounds? Heavier dampner will comsume more energy in rotation, thus I do not agree that a heavier dampner will equate to more horsepower/torque. If fact, I suggest just the opposite, heavier dampner will lower horsepower/torque and do so exactly where you need it the most, under 3000 RPM.

The new dampner was prolly added for NVH issues surfacing from relaxed intake and exhaust peformance, or, maybe some oil pump issues. I know the '05-'07 CVPIs are going through engines left and right, and gents, our SGT has the exact same engine. So does this new Bullit. Standard, stock 3V, nothing special inside.

If (and I mean IF) this new dampner does indeed allow for higher RPMs, what value will this have? Very little, IMHO. The 4.6L-3V is pretty much done producing power at 6000 RPM. So, you get to 6500 RPM, what's up there? Nothing much, and because of the heavier dampner, it took you longer to get there. See my point? Moreover, if the Bullit gets the same Tremec 3650 manual tranny the SGT has, the taller rear gear (3.73:1) will make good low end performance a driver's skill issue. Why? It will be a very short drive through 1st gear from a standing start, affecting control issues and adding the possibility of a mis-shift early on. 2nd gear launches anyone?

I'll wait to see some more data before I'll discusss if the Bullit can overpower an SGT, like maybe a bone stock dyno? Moreover, don't discount other important advantages the SGT has, like suspension goodies, lower ground clearance and some areodynamic tricks. In a side by side blast down the quarter mile, the Bullit may have a gear advantage in the first 1/8 mile, but the areodynamic and suspension improvements of the SGT are beneficial in the second 1/8, where MPH gain is important, and I don't see such goodies on the Bullit. Anyone know more?

AweHell, too soon to tell anyway.

Happy holidays, gents.

Just a few thoughts on some of the comments posted here, not trying to start anything.

Gents...Stop wringing your hands over horsepower, it's value is highly overated. Torque moves the car, watch the torque numbers. More torque = faster car, horsepower is just another speedo of sorts, an index factor. If you add a mod that bumps your HP, but you lose torque, you will have a slower car.

The newspaper article...Boy-oh-boy, if that writer knows as much about the new Bullit as he know about the film of the same name, I wouldn't believe a word of what he says. He's got so much mis-fact about the film, it's funny. He may have driven a demo car from Ford, but he never watched Bullit.

Wonder if the Bulllit got a 90mm MAF along with it's new CAI? The SGT did.

Larger dampner (balancer)...On all modular engines, the crankshaft is "neutral balanced" internally, and balance is achieved externally by dampner and flywheel, both of which are bolted directly to the crankshaft as counterweights. The oil pump rides on the crank snout, and it is very sensitive to vibration. Powerded metal again, throw something off balance and the powder metal oil pump gears dissolve from snout vibration. When it comes apart, you lose an engine. This is another reason why detonation is life-threatening, and pre-ignition is immediately fatal.

The larger dampner observed makes sense to me, but I disagree that it adds any performance. My SGT's dampner weighs 9.9 pounds, so, if this new dampner is larger, it's also heavier, maybe a full 10 pounds? Heavier dampner will comsume more energy in rotation, thus I do not agree that a heavier dampner will equate to more horsepower/torque. If fact, I suggest just the opposite, heavier dampner will lower horsepower/torque and do so exactly where you need it the most, under 3000 RPM.

The new dampner was prolly added for NVH issues surfacing from relaxed intake and exhaust peformance, or, maybe some oil pump issues. I know the '05-'07 CVPIs are going through engines left and right, and gents, our SGT has the exact same engine. So does this new Bullit. Standard, stock 3V, nothing special inside.

If (and I mean IF) this new dampner does indeed allow for higher RPMs, what value will this have? Very little, IMHO. The 4.6L-3V is pretty much done producing power at 6000 RPM. So, you get to 6500 RPM, what's up there? Nothing much, and because of the heavier dampner, it took you longer to get there. See my point? Moreover, if the Bullit gets the same Tremec 3650 manual tranny the SGT has, the taller rear gear (3.73:1) will make good low end performance a driver's skill issue. Why? It will be a very short drive through 1st gear from a standing start, affecting control issues and adding the possibility of a mis-shift early on. 2nd gear launches anyone?

I'll wait to see some more data before I'll discusss if the Bullit can overpower an SGT, like maybe a bone stock dyno? Moreover, don't discount other important advantages the SGT has, like suspension goodies, lower ground clearance and some areodynamic tricks. In a side by side blast down the quarter mile, the Bullit may have a gear advantage in the first 1/8 mile, but the areodynamic and suspension improvements of the SGT are beneficial in the second 1/8, where MPH gain is important, and I don't see such goodies on the Bullit. Anyone know more?

AweHell, too soon to tell anyway.

Happy holidays, gents.

LuLu- I disagree with your theory about the Harmonic Balancer. I know for sure that the 250 more RPM's means more strength on the power shift, bottom line. I have taken this car many many times to the limit and have it crap out @ 6200, such a waste. I can feel it wants the extra RPM's but can't because of the computer. I also take a back with you about horse power. Tell me one time when you add a SC you lower your torque? One time. You can't because 99.9% of the time you add HP you also add torque with it. If it did not happen then who ever performed your tune after the SC is installed is a flat out idiot and when you get it retuned your torque will boost dramatically along with the HP. So all in all I agree with most all your posts but that one is not correct in my books.

Swede

Boy this post has got to be an open can or worms. I remember driving the last Bullit and there was a great deal of hype about it being a limited production car. Most of us buy cars to be seen in that look fast etc. This car just looks like a plain Jane V-6 Mustang on the outside.

It does nothing for me; however, you should really appreciate what Ford did to this car in the way of performance enhancements in comparison to the Shelby GT, i.e., "bang for the buck". I am not bashing the car and I really like the SGT, but couldn't justify the extra money for 19 horsepower. If the Bullit doesn't have a GGT, can someone clue me in as to why.

This is only my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree, but a Mustang is just not a Mustang without a rear spoiler (I like the wing style). Never understood why the Hertz Shelby's came with the different hood and rear spoiler and no cobra logo.

I remember early on posting the need for Cobra emblems because of the association with Shelby Mustangs and nothing happened until recently with the rear emblem after a zillion posts it seems trying to get it right.

But with that said these SGTs are being bought because they are Shelby Mustangs and for their style and flair, it is sad that many got gouged on ADMs and now pricing is stablizing and in some cases droppin on resale, but they are truly a great car to have owned.

I would have liked to have purchased a black convertable SGT with no scoop and the Gold Hertz type stripes, I suspect something else will come down the pipe from Shelby and Ford as the Camero and Challanger will be getting all the press when they hit the streets and everyone will be gripping about the ADMs.

In short I didn't care for the Bullit, to plain for my tastes.......

Just my thoughts GG

Okay, everyone keep your shorts on...Umm...Shirts.

LuLu- I disagree with your theory about the Harmonic Balancer. I know for sure that the 250 more RPM's means more strength on the power shift, bottom line. I have taken this car many many times to the limit and have it crap out @ 6200, such a waste. I can feel it wants the extra RPM's but can't because of the computer. I also take a back with you about horse power. Tell me one time when you add a SC you lower your torque? One time. You can't because 99.9% of the time you add HP you also add torque with it. If it did not happen then who ever performed your tune after the SC is installed is a flat out idiot and when you get it retuned your torque will boost dramatically along with the HP. So all in all I agree with most all your posts but that one is not correct in my books.

Swede

Uncle! Uncle!

I apologize if I hit a nerve, Swede, wasn't trying to start any trouble. Please read my post again? I hope you read me wrong. If you still feel this way, please give me a shout at 312.401.1396, anytime.

My remarks about the value of HP vs. TQ stand true, and any winner in any style of racing, from NASCAR to INEX/ Legends cars will tell you the same thing. Stay in your power band. I own two Legends cars, one for circle track, the other for drag racing. Both are driven the same way on different tracks. Hell, ask any bike racer, the answer is the same...Stay in the power band.

I didn't mean to be mod specific, i.e. supercharging. For sure, adding a supercharger improves HP and torque and for this kind of money, it had better. If I need to correct my remarks, I will.

"I have taken this car many many times to the limit and have it crap out @ 6200, such a waste."

Well, now I have to ask you, Swede, what are you expecting? Yes, the 4.6L-3V craps out @ 6200 RPM, but why? It's not the EEC, my friend, I know this for a fact. It's design limitations.

Please remember that the 4.6L engine (with any head configuration - 2V, 3V, and 4V) all suffer the same shortcomings in producing power. It's a "square" bottom end, 3.55 bore, 3.54 stroke, and low end power (under 2500 RPM) is naturally weak. It comes on very strong from 2500 to 5800 RPM, but due to it's engineering, they all crap out after 6000 RPM. If you feel that there is more power above 6000 RPM that you are missing out on, there is. It's called credit, and I suggest you keep a VISA card handy for the flat bed ride home.

My point was that there are many mods offered on the market today that folks are seduced into buying by reported "HP gains", when their torque numbers suffer, and customers don't see that. Such is the case with many exhaust mods, i.e. larger OD pipes, off road pipes, "X vs. H" crossover pipes, and likewise stuff on engine temps, spark enhancers, some suspension mods, engine oil, air/oil filters, tires, and so on. The list can be endless, and my message here is do your homework and decide carefully. But, if any of those mods costs you torque, it's not a performance mod, it's just cute.

Manufacturers and suppliers alike often brag of HP gains, some even show/display HP dyno sheets. But, the truth remains that when torque drops, or, lays flat, you're going slower. In my last post, I wanted to be specifically vague about such detail. I just wanted to share my HP/TQ point of view. But, lose torque, and you slow down. Build torque and you go faster are basic principles of speed. I started racing at 14, and I'm 55 now. Not once over these years has anyone shown me anything different, and I can't find a flaw in the physics involved.

Swede...Get your car on a dyno and make a half dozen pulls. Average the data and look at your power curves. Every car will be a tad different, but if your power runs flat at 5800 RPM, or, tapers off after 6000, what is the value of any extra/added access to higher RPMs? None, because when the torque peaks, upshift into the next gear (if you have one to shift into) and keep your maximum power alive and on tap. You will be faster, I promise.

The days of "winding out" a gear to redline, have passed, we are smarter today. I may be able to wind out a gear to 6500 RPM, but all I am getting back from that extra RPM is "risky business" engine wear, fuel consumption, and loss of speed from increasing wind resistance to my achieved MPH. Areodynamically, every car is a brick in the wind, but some are smaller bricks than others. Torque is muscle, and torque/muscle is what delivers your brick to the finish line, and decides how quick it will arrive on target. HP, even RWHP, is just an index. Stuff nice to know, but means squat in the big picture.

My opinion on the Bullit dampner (harmonic balancer as you call it) remains unchanged. If you attach more dead weight to the crankshaft, it will take more of your natural engine power to turn it, and not just initially, but all the way through your RPM range. How this produces more power, escapes me. It's just more dead weight (drag) on the crank. If you want to know how this feels in your seat-of-the-pants meter, drop your tire pressure to 20 PSI and go for a ride. The effect upon final performance should be about the same.

Hopefully (as is the case with superchargers), what you gain from supercharging pays back this power sap, and your power gains continue on above that. However, this is the chief argument between supercharging, and turbocharging.

Turbos are exhaust driven, not serpentine belt/crank driven. Thus, power sapping drag on the crank is absent and properly tuned turbo kits can produce overkill power to any engine, and drag free too. However, turbos are slower to respond than superchargers, and among superchargers, Roots/PD blowers respond faster than centrifugal. But, this is the beauty in it all, you get to name your own poision.

Again, I apologize. I wasn't taking you on, Swede, please consider giving me a call?

Nonetheless...Some facts remain true, and others are unsupported by empirical data, i.e....Proof.

Buy fact, dump crap.

No regrets.

Amen brother!

Oh, forgot to mention that I love the SGT stance better compared to the Bullitt. Pictures I've seen of the Bullitt show a lot of gap between the wheels and wheel wells.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/06/a/000/77/ea/440e_4.JPG

Nothing that can't be rectified via the aftermarket, but it would have been more visually pleasing if it came from the factory that way.

Okay, everyone keep your shorts on...Umm...Shirts.

Uncle! Uncle!

I apologize if I hit a nerve, Swede, wasn't trying to start any trouble. Please read my post again? I hope you read me wrong. If you still feel this way, please give me a shout at 312.401.1396, anytime.

My remarks about the value of HP vs. TQ stand true, and any winner in any style of racing, from NASCAR to INEX/ Legends cars will tell you the same thing. Stay in your power band. I own two Legends cars, one for circle track, the other for drag racing. Both are driven the same way on different tracks. Hell, ask any bike racer, the answer is the same...Stay in the power band.

I didn't mean to be mod specific, i.e. supercharging. For sure, adding a supercharger improves HP and torque and for this kind of money, it had better. If I need to correct my remarks, I will.

"I have taken this car many many times to the limit and have it crap out @ 6200, such a waste."

Well, now I have to ask you, Swede, what are you expecting? Yes, the 4.6L-3V craps out @ 6200 RPM, but why? It's not the EEC, my friend, I know this for a fact. It's design limitations.

Please remember that the 4.6L engine (with any head configuration - 2V, 3V, and 4V) all suffer the same shortcomings in producing power. It's a "square" bottom end, 3.55 bore, 3.54 stroke, and low end power (under 2500 RPM) is naturally weak. It comes on very strong from 2500 to 5800 RPM, but due to it's engineering, they all crap out after 6000 RPM. If you feel that there is more power above 6000 RPM that you are missing out on, there is. It's called credit, and I suggest you keep a VISA card handy for the flat bed ride home.

My point was that there are many mods offered on the market today that folks are seduced into buying by reported "HP gains", when their torque numbers suffer, and customers don't see that. Such is the case with many exhaust mods, i.e. larger OD pipes, off road pipes, "X vs. H" crossover pipes, and likewise stuff on engine temps, spark enhancers, some suspension mods, engine oil, air/oil filters, tires, and so on. The list can be endless, and my message here is do your homework and decide carefully. But, if any of those mods costs you torque, it's not a performance mod, it's just cute.

Manufacturers and suppliers alike often brag of HP gains, some even show/display HP dyno sheets. But, the truth remains that when torque drops, or, lays flat, you're going slower. In my last post, I wanted to be specifically vague about such detail. I just wanted to share my HP/TQ point of view. But, lose torque, and you slow down. Build torque and you go faster are basic principles of speed. I started racing at 14, and I'm 55 now. Not once over these years has anyone shown me anything different, and I can't find a flaw in the physics involved.

Swede...Get your car on a dyno and make a half dozen pulls. Average the data and look at your power curves. Every car will be a tad different, but if your power runs flat at 5800 RPM, or, tapers off after 6000, what is the value of any extra/added access to higher RPMs? None, because when the torque peaks, upshift into the next gear (if you have one to shift into) and keep your maximum power alive and on tap. You will be faster, I promise.

The days of "winding out" a gear to redline, have passed, we are smarter today. I may be able to wind out a gear to 6500 RPM, but all I am getting back from that extra RPM is "risky business" engine wear, fuel consumption, and loss of speed from increasing wind resistance to my achieved MPH. Areodynamically, every car is a brick in the wind, but some are smaller bricks than others. Torque is muscle, and torque/muscle is what delivers your brick to the finish line, and decides how quick it will arrive on target. HP, even RWHP, is just an index. Stuff nice to know, but means squat in the big picture.

My opinion on the Bullit dampner (harmonic balancer as you call it) remains unchanged. If you attach more dead weight to the crankshaft, it will take more of your natural engine power to turn it, and not just initially, but all the way through your RPM range. How this produces more power, escapes me. It's just more dead weight (drag) on the crank. If you want to know how this feels in your seat-of-the-pants meter, drop your tire pressure to 20 PSI and go for a ride. The effect upon final performance should be about the same.

Hopefully (as is the case with superchargers), what you gain from supercharging pays back this power sap, and your power gains continue on above that. However, this is the chief argument between supercharging, and turbocharging.

Turbos are exhaust driven, not serpentine belt/crank driven. Thus, power sapping drag on the crank is absent and properly tuned turbo kits can produce overkill power to any engine, and drag free too. However, turbos are slower to respond than superchargers, and among superchargers, Roots/PD blowers respond faster than centrifugal. But, this is the beauty in it all, you get to name your own poision.

Again, I apologize. I wasn't taking you on, Swede, please consider giving me a call?

Nonetheless...Some facts remain true, and others are unsupported by empirical data, i.e....Proof.

Buy fact, dump crap.

LuLu- It is obvious we are having a debate about this car not about torque, I think. I am just p*issed off that this car i bought has a measly 19 more HP over a stock Mustang GT! I bought the car for name only and I am NOT very impressed with the power band, now that I have had a chance to drive it. At first I thought it went like a raped ape until I drove a Mustang GT with 410's! The car was as fast or faster than mine, that just p*issed me off to no end. I really bought the car because it was cheaper than the GT500 but it still said Shelby, little did I know it was just a Mustang GT dressed up, nothing more, except the name: Shelby!!! I was raised in the 60's when the Shelby GT350 had 81 HP over a stock Mustang GT, not 19 HP over a stock Mustang GT. This car was made for people who either never had a real performance car or bought it for the name. I would never buy this type of car again unless it had more HP period. That is what people pay for and want, something the neighbor does not or can not get and yes size does matter don't kid yourself! So that is my beef and I do wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a meaningful New year, but my opinion stays the same, this car is a dressed up Mustang GT nothing more-

Swede

LuLu- It is obvious we are having a debate about this car not about torque, I think. I am just p*issed off that this car i bought has a measly 19 more HP over a stock Mustang GT! I bought the car for name only and I am NOT very impressed with the power band, now that I have had a chance to drive it. At first I thought it went like a raped ape until I drove a Mustang GT with 410's! The car was as fast or faster than mine, that just p*issed me off to no end. I really bought the car because it was cheaper than the GT500 but it still said Shelby, little did I know it was just a Mustang GT dressed up, nothing more, except the name: Shelby!!! I was raised in the 60's when the Shelby GT350 had 81 HP over a stock Mustang GT, not 19 HP over a stock Mustang GT. This car was made for people who either never had a real performance car or bought it for the name. I would never buy this type of car again unless it had more HP period. That is what people pay for and want, something the neighbor does not or can not get and yes size does matter don't kid yourself! So that is my beef and I do wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a meaningful New year, but my opinion stays the same, this car is a dressed up Mustang GT nothing more-

Swede

Okay...I hear you, Swede, and thanks for your reply here.

If you want to discuss this more, my TX is posted here. I think I undersand what pizzes you off, OTOH, I'm not sure. Give me a try? I'm not doing much these days anyway, and learning something new is always fun to me. I'm just sitting here and growing old, best to share my knowledge, experience and talent before it gone, eh?

Y'all be safe, and Happy holidays to all!

Okay...I hear you, Swede, and thanks for your reply here.

If you want to discuss this more, my TX is posted here. I think I undersand what pizzes you off, OTOH, I'm not sure. Give me a try? I'm not doing much these days anyway, and learning something new is always fun to me. I'm just sitting here and growing old, best to share my knowledge, experience and talent before it gone, eh?

Y'all be safe, and Happy holidays to all!

i hate to agree with sweede but theres should have been alot of things std on the shelby for 12000.oo more <_< <_< <_<

I was raised in the 60's when the Shelby GT350 had 81 HP over a stock Mustang GT, not 19 HP over a stock Mustang GT. Swede

What???????????????? Where do you folks come up with all this stuff. PLEASE LETS DO A GROUP BUY AND MAYBE WE CAN GET BORDERS TO SELL THE PAPERBACK Shelby Mustang book at a discount..although at its current price of $12.99 it should be affordable to most who post here. If only I could convince you folks to actually read it.

The 65/66 Gt350's ran 306 gross HP based upon a SLIGHTLY modified K code engine. The standard GT with the K Code engine ran 271 Gross Hp. That is a mere difference of 35 Gross Hp or about 28 net HP. So the difference between then and now is a mere 9 net hp (and your 319 modern net Hp is about 375 in 60's Gross terms--the same level as a GT500 back in the day). The 65/66 Shelby GT was all about handling NOT hp. A Shelby GT will walk away from a GT 500 on a road course. If you are into drag racing--why buy either--get an old fox body 302 and build the heck out of it -for $20 grand - and blow everything away. My god, even the GT 500 can't run with a Standard C6 Corvette. Its not about HP --its about history, a mind set--best <bleep> pony car ever built--the original and the one that outlived all the rest.

As far as the Bullitt--<bleep> right its plain--that is the whole concept which so many 'miss'. It is based upon the movie car...a plain jane that could move (You may have heard of it, the movie was called Bullitt and it starred Steve McQueen and a green no flash no badge 68 Mustang. The king of cool and he wasn't into stripes and wings etc to look cool).

The 08 Bullitt has a much softer suspension--Ford wouldn't allow the Ford Racing/Shelby GT suspension on standard Mustangs--its too stiff for the 'general' population. And yes the Bullitt may be quicker in a drag - 2 reasons--rearend gearing with the 3.73 and its suspension. Do you folks understand there is a HUGE difference between a drag racing suspension and a road suspension. Now the Bullit is road tuned but only lightly so as it is soo much softer then the Ford Racing/Shelby verions--and that adds to tire traction off the line in a drag race-- The Shebly GT, while not a full blown coil over rock hard suspension is much stiffer and much better for the twisties and the worst thing you would want for the drag strip. If you bought a Shelby GT for the drags--big mistake.

You all have wondeful cars, APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE..you are very lucky..and with the Ford 0% for 60 kicking in on Wed maybe I'll finally get to join you. And then I can really bitch in earnest--if you want to mod like crazy--buy a Standard GT and go at it. If you want the 67-68 look buy a GT500. If you love the original 65-66 look then that is why you buy the Shelby GT.

For 09--no Shelby GT--I'm expecting them to get the go ahead on the GT350 name--and that will sell.......

What???????????????? Where do you folks come up with all this stuff. PLEASE LETS DO A GROUP BUY AND MAYBE WE CAN GET BORDERS TO SELL THE PAPERBACK Shelby Mustang book at a discount..although at its current price of $12.99 it should be affordable to most who post here. If only I could convince you folks to actually read it.

The 65/66 Gt350's ran 306 gross HP based upon a SLIGHTLY modified K code engine. The standard GT with the K Code engine ran 271 Gross Hp. That is a mere difference of 35 Gross Hp or about 28 net HP. So the difference between then and now is a mere 9 net hp (and your 319 modern net Hp is about 375 in 60's Gross terms--the same level as a GT500 back in the day). The 65/66 Shelby GT was all about handling NOT hp. A Shelby GT will walk away from a GT 500 on a road course. If you are into drag racing--why buy either--get an old fox body 302 and build the heck out of it -for $20 grand - and blow everything away. My god, even the GT 500 can't run with a Standard C6 Corvette. Its not about HP --its about history, a mind set--best <bleep> pony car ever built--the original and the one that outlived all the rest.

As far as the Bullitt--<bleep> right its plain--that is the whole concept which so many 'miss'. It is based upon the movie car...a plain jane that could move (You may have heard of it, the movie was called Bullitt and it starred Steve McQueen and a green no flash no badge 68 Mustang. The king of cool and he wasn't into stripes and wings etc to look cool).

you dont even own ...how can you comment on it until you spent the money or drove the car B) :rolleyes:

The 08 Bullitt has a much softer suspension--Ford wouldn't allow the Ford Racing/Shelby GT suspension on standard Mustangs--its too stiff for the 'general' population. And yes the Bullitt may be quicker in a drag - 2 reasons--rearend gearing with the 3.73 and its suspension. Do you folks understand there is a HUGE difference between a drag racing suspension and a road suspension. Now the Bullit is road tuned but only lightly so as it is soo much softer then the Ford Racing/Shelby verions--and that adds to tire traction off the line in a drag race-- The Shebly GT, while not a full blown coil over rock hard suspension is much stiffer and much better for the twisties and the worst thing you would want for the drag strip. If you bought a Shelby GT for the drags--big mistake.

You all have wondeful cars, APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE..you are very lucky..and with the Ford 0% for 60 kicking in on Wed maybe I'll finally get to join you. And then I can really bitch in earnest--if you want to mod like crazy--buy a Standard GT and go at it. If you want the 67-68 look buy a GT500. If you love the original 65-66 look then that is why you buy the Shelby GT.

For 09--no Shelby GT--I'm expecting them to get the go ahead on the GT350 name--and that will sell.......

Swede

Having owned an 05 GT and an 07 SGT.... :(

I'm sure at least a couple of magazines will do a head to head comparison of the Shelby GT to the Bullitt...

I'm pretty sure I already know what they will say...Bullitt: more bang for the buck, and easier to live with suspension. Bullitt wins in 1/4 mile, Shelby GT wins on the road course and skidpad.

You all have wondeful cars, APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE
I do :D. Hope you are able to join the club soon.

Once Swede gets his Supercharger, he will be a happy camper.

04 Retro, right you are. I saw a video of the Bullitt awesome, but has a mean body roll.

Swede you need a beer and a 400 dollar nitrious kit, you could mod your car and scare yourself, really, hp dont mean nothing, i am real good at embarassing riders on big cc street bikes with a 400cc enduro in the corners, and once even almost watched a guy crash a BMW in a corner trying to get away from my 4x4 5sp Chev truck, learn to drive and the SGT will rock your world, if this is not you, quit it already and mod the <bleep> car or sell it, and get what you like...

personally i am waiting for the "Two Lane Blacktop" retro shoebox chev with a bb and a glass tilt front end. And not a stinkin camaro.haha :D Two Lane Blacktop=The best film ever made.

04 Retro, right you are. I saw a video of the Bullitt awesome, but has a mean body roll.

Swede you need a beer and a 400 dollar nitrious kit, you could mod your car and scare yourself, really, hp dont mean nothing, i am real good at embarassing riders on big cc street bikes with a 400cc enduro in the corners, and once even almost watched a guy crash a BMW in a corner trying to get away from my 4x4 5sp Chev truck, learn to drive and the SGT will rock your world, if this is not you, quit it already and mod the <bleep> car or sell it, and get what you like...

+100!! :lol:

We have one mod that the Bullitt doesn't have, Carroll Shelby's name on the car. That worth a few tenths at least. :D

There is a good article in the February 2008 Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords. The Quarter miles times were 13.29 at 105.27 mph, 13.42/104.91, 13.52/104.50, and 13.50/104.17. Right in line with our cars. I disagree with the sentiment that all things equal, the Bullitt is faster. These 2 cars are so close, it's going to come down to the driver.

The suspension is lowered only 6mm. That's less than 1/4 inch. The SGT should out handle the Bullitt.

Fords comments on the dual tune set up "We have a more aggressive spark with premium, but there's not a lot of difference [in overall power]." I think the suggested 325 HP number on premium is wrong. Remember we have the same tune as the SGT-H and that's rated at 325 HP. I'm not sure what happen to lower the rating but i just shows you that numbers on paper don't tell the whole story.

When it comes to price vs. performance. The factory will all ways be able to do it cheaper. The SGT really should be compared to Roush and Saleen. In that respect, I feel the SGT is a better value.

I all most made the mistake of letting the 319hp number deter me from buying the best car I have ever owned. I'm very glad I didn't. Remember, Shelby opened the Mod shops to address the HP issue. Again, pricing is in line with Saleen and Roush.

This reminds me of the 60's when Ford went to Shelby to do what they couldn't. Then, a few years down the road, Ford started making cars that competed with the Shelby's so they stopped making the Shelby's.

Happy Holidays every one.

Archived