TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Occupations

RUFDRAFT

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a new job as a Project Engineer at Legend Motors Worldwide, a division of L.A. West. I no longer make parts for the Ford Five-Hundred, Ford Freestyle or Mercury Montego since Ford is idling the plant until late August.

I joined Legend Motors Worldwide so I could enjoy designing, building & working on Hotrods, Race Cars & Sports trucks again.

Coldwater, CONGRATULATIONS!!! it's not often someone finds their dream job -- you are soooo lucky!!! Wish you all the best.. -- they make some awesome stuff. Nice to see also that there's a manufacturer in the US of quality GT40 copies. I think there's a market there that was being filled by the South African manufacturers. Hope you get a great first project! Keep us posted... how cool is that!

• 9 months later...
Huh! I was wondering what line of work Mr Grabber was in -- I thought he mentioned at one point Carpentry... so I looked here, but he never played!

Oh, Rob, what gives? Inquiring minds want to know!! ;)

:lastyear:

Dan,

After High school I got into Carpentry building houses. I then joined the union and served a apprenticeship. After the training, I became a journeyman. It is a 4 year program. All my work after joining the Union has been commercial. For the last 19 years I have been working for a very large Genral Contractor on commercial construction projects. I am a Project Superintendent. It has been a very rewarding career, and the Carpenters Union has been very good to me and my family. I am looking forward to a Union retirement in under 8 years.

Test Director/Structures and Dynamics Flight Test Engineer for Sikorsky Aircraft

starter of only 3 of the 39 dash plaque threads

Wow, this is an old thread... How did I miss it. :D

I am in flight standards and training for Continental Airlines. Rated on the B737, B767, B757, DC9, and B17.

I thought it might be interesting to see what we all do for a living.

I teach college English - composition and creative nonfiction.

I drove tractor trailers for 20 years before going back to school. :shift:

"Breaker 1-9 - we got a bear on the Eastbound side at mile marker 252. Copy?"

Director of Logistics Operations over Arizona, Nevada, Utah and California. The company is Cemex, Inc. We are a global construction materials company. We mfg cement, quarry aggregates and provide readymix concrete. We have 3-deep water import terminals along the west coast where we bring in 40,000 metric ton ships from Thailand, Taiwan and China. We have domestic plants in Victorville, CA and Davenport, CA. We also import our own cement from Mexico via rail and distribute among 14 land terminal operations strategically located in the west. My region represents about 7 million short tons of annual consumtion of cement. Very busy times but makes the road trips in the GT500 very special. Also reduces stress. Can't wait to hear the pricing on the Super Snake!!!!! Even if its too expensive, a few cool components (hood, gauge cluster, short throw, CAI and tune, FRPP axle backs, etc, will be just fine with me. I think its time to go burn some expensive goodyear rubber. You guys and gals have a great day!!!!

Just read through this thread. Nice to get to know people a bit better.

Came from a poor family, and I moved out on my own young (16). Thanks to good fortune & some brains on my part, I went to Purdue for a couple of years. Probably due to lack of brains on my part, I dropped out. Tried my hand at building furniture for a year. Moved on to building boats for a few months. They had some PC problems, so I moved up into the office to take over that side for a few months.

From there I got a job at a local hospital's help desk, and was quickly promoted up to the technical team running servers. I've been doing that for 6 years, and through a series of promotions now. I take care of 18 AIX servers, 23 linux servers, 32 terbytes of SAN storage, and our wireless network. The servers include the AIX servers our main charting app runs on, and I'm the technical project lead on that (it's a 7 year implementation, we're just through year 4).

- Tony

Project manager and estimator for a heavy civil construction company. We build highways, bridges, dams, install underground utilities, or most any transportation projects nationwide. This is like writing a resume. Anyone hiring?

Well i started out as a farm boy. My dad then started a transmission shop in Yorkton Saskatchewan, i worked there until i was almost 16yrs old. I left to go work on the oil rigs in Alberta. Worked my way up to Derrick Hand then decided to goto school to take Petroleum Engineering. When out of school i worked in the Service end of the industry. I did drillstem testing which you flow live oil/gas wells to surface for reservior information. I also did Coring which you obtain a physical sample of the target zone you are drilling to. I then worked MWD which is Measurment While Drilling, this is a downhole surveyor. With this information you can drill to direcitonal targets or keep the well straight. Presently i am working as a Directional Drilling Consultant. This is where you are in charge of drilling a well to hit the desired target. I could get into much more detail but i would not want to bore you guys to much. Job is sometimes stressful, sucks being away from home 3/4 of the yr but the money is the perk.

Scott.

I'm a screen door repairman, work mainly on submarines. :hysterical:

Seriously, I quit school in Grade 8 and joined the painters' union (IUPAT). I worked industrial sandblasting and spray painting and also commercial interior painting. I done that for 15 years and than went into a partnership in a painting company and also do supervisory duties, the other partner does the paperwork and estimating.

I worked my way up in the union and am now (and have been for past 10 years) District Council 39 President of Nova Scotia Locals 1945 & 1439. I've been 31 years in this union. If life don't throw me a curve, I will be able to retire in 5 years at age 53.

I will however, always be involved in the union end of it. It takes me to your beautiful country at least once a year, mainly Washington DC. :)

Seriously, I quit school in Grade 8 and joined the painters' union (IUPAT). I worked industrial sandblasting and spray painting and also commercial interior painting. I done that for 15 years and than went into a partnership in a painting company and also do supervisory duties, the other partner does the paperwork and estimating.

I worked my way up in the union and am now (and have been for past 10 years) District Council 39 President of Nova Scotia Locals 1945 & 1439. I've been 31 years in this union. If life don't throw me a curve, I will be able to retire in 5 years at age 53.

I will however, always be involved in the union end of it. It takes me to your beautiful country at least once a year, mainly Washington DC. :)

Have my own little business in AZ. Real Estate Appraiser. Before that, 30 years San Jose Fire Dept. CA. Captain, retired. Before that, Tool and Die Machinist.

AZbud

Keith,

The Union pension programs are sweet. I have a very similar deal. I will take a full retirement at age 54 in about 7-1/2 years. :happy feet:

Just found this thread. A lot of diversity on this forum, as for me I am an Infantry Major in the Army, over 14 yrs of service now. When I retire I am going to try out for the Braves, if Julio Franco can play in his 40's why can't I? :do what: Either that or get a job in the exciting ever changing business world, hopefully even have my own cubicle and one of those desk top holders where you can put pens, post-it-notes, and paper clips. Getting to stare at a computer screen all day and have eight different bosses spouting out random mission statements. :boring: :work: It is such a hard decision, professional baseball player or mid-level manager for Flemco. (Flemco is a fictitious company and the product of the author's imagination. Any similarity to a real company is merely coincidental and is not intended to be represented by the statements of the author. :extinguish: )

Keith,

The Union pension programs are sweet. I have a very similar deal. I will take a full retirement at age 54 in about 7-1/2 years. :happy feet:

Yes, Brother Rob, pension plans are good.

By the way, I forgot to mention on my other post, I don't recommend any youngster to quit school at 16, like I did. Yes, if you do the math I failed a grade. But I came from a poor family and when you turned 16 it was time to leave and fend for yourself. That explains the bad spelling and grammar you see from me on this forum, but I try my damnest and won't quit.

For everything I do have today, I had to work my BUTT off, nothing was ever handed to me on a silver platter. "Quit" or "I can't do this", are two things that are not in my vocabulary - I've passed that on to my 2 boys. My oldest boy, (25) went to college and became a Mechanical Engineer, and now works for ExxonMobil. He makes big money and has great benefits. I made sure his life wouldn't be as rocky as mine was starting off.

My youngest boy is 15 and doing great in school. He is either going to college for an engineering degree also, he is also looking at joining the military and getting his education that way - either way I'm behind him 100%.

U.S. Air Force for 22 years, still serving.

Initially grounded from flight training for medical issue, 3 years as an Intelligence officer, then back to flight school.

Command Pilot with over 3,500 hours in Special Ops and Rescue C-130s. Have been a flight instructor and evaluator, as well as Squadron Commander and Deputy Group Commander. Flown in all the hot spots from DESERT STORM through present... Been assigned to bases in Colorado, Texas, Florida (3 times), United Kingdom (twice), New Mexico, Kansas, and Arizona.

Promoted to Colonel on 1 May and now off to an assignment in Korea for next two years... Car goes to storage next week :cry:

Keith

Archived