TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Occupations

RUFDRAFT

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you didn't feel that I was knocking your career in any way that wasn't my intention. I agree with what you are saying, the soldiers over do have a very strong need to have you over there... and I know they appreciate your being there, I was just saying it's hard as hell on the familes here at home.

Thank you,

T

Not at all T, I agree with you 100%. I spend at least an hour on the phone with my wife and girls every day. We talk so much, I get in trouble just like I would if I was home(and that's alot), If she said it once, she's said it a hundred times " I am sick to death of hearing about that Shelby". :rant: It makes a difference but still doesn't make it easy.

I have got to meet some interesting people,

What I was trying to say was - if I knew then what I know now - I'd have found a gig that paid less but allowed me more time at home. I think time with your kids is more important to them than what kind of furniture is in the house - or what you drive.

But ` Ruf` isn`t your Den full of New Furniture????

Oh yeah, back on topic.

Header operator (I better explain that one before someone else tries to. A small company in IN called Indiana Metal Products Company (IMPCo for short) makes small screws, bolts and pins for various companies such as Remington, GM, FoMoCo, and so on. Anyway, I ran 3 machines that cut pieces of wire into pins and then struck/formed the head on the pin. The devices were called header machines, hence I was called a header operator.) B)

An Offset roll-press operator, I used to be the one that put the sequential numbers on your checks, yeah thats right, :o :blink:

U.S Army (retired) :ninja:

Electronic Technician for Chromalox Instruments and Controls.

Curently an Electronic Technician for a telecomunications company, I watch the backbone of the internet for any service degradation, and try to get the problem fixed before anyone (customer) notices.

DLW

Holy roustabout, Batman!

Just read this thread through and it's amazing how many different backgrounds can come together over a single common interest. It never ceases to amaze me how many different paths life has a way of serving up.

And this thread (and this site for sure!) definately qualifies under the "learn something new every day" mantra.

My careers have been far more boring than many here. While a Junior in NY's Queens college I bumped into my highschool math teacher one day who was doing mathematics work for IBM on the side. I decided to talk to the contact he gave me in their famed Yorktown Heights Research center, who was hiring mainframe computer operators. I was living in NYC but figued I could commute it, so I interviewed and got the job -- but never started -- blew the 3-speed in my 59 Ford 352 big-block over the weekend and rethought the wisdom of commuting by car in NY traffic. But I was impressed with IBM from that interview. What impressed me the most is that they had big dreams! I called and asked if there was anything closer to the city. A couple months later I got a call from IBM's Programming Development Center in Manhattan, where they developed the COBOL and FORTRAN compilers for the manframes. Only catch was, the job was in administration (the 'mailroom') -- I took it anyway.

Second monday on the job I was walking over to another IBM facility to pick up the Center's paychecks when I was hit by a bus that ran a red light. I was almost killed, thrown over 25' and was unconscious for about a half-hour before being taken to the hospital. Things turned worse. Got the "Last Right's" twice (so I'm told) -- the Catholic church's version of 'have a nice trip -- you ain't gona make it' -- but somehow survived. Mostly deaf, half blind and with no sense of smell (not so bad in NYC at low tide), ruptured spinal sheath, fractured skull, brain aneurism but, amazingly, no other broken bones. But I was young and, obviously, resilient (hard head?) and, after several months in intensive care, gradually improved. Hearing came back first, then sight and, over the next 8-10 years, smell (well, mostly). This was the days when IBM was a 'family' and "do the right thing" was the management credo. They paid me my full salary ($64/wk gross! -- 1966) every week even though I had only worked there a total of five days. But I was young and naiive and settled with NYC for $5K -- then found out I had to pay most of that back to workman's comp! :doh:

Within a year of being back at work, I ordered a '67 390-fastback -- my first new car. The Ford strike soon shut down production for months and it shipped as a '68 (damn, should have special-ordered that 427! :) ). Had a ball working at IBM for 30 years in various analyst jobs, programming, many planning jobs, advanced technology (my favorite 'dream' work: it's to business what envisioning, engineering and fabricating a one-off Ford GT is to Dearborn), product development management, senior business stratagist -- all good. And along the way travelled to a lot of neat places around the world. Left the corporate world to reduce stress a decade ago when it was no longer fun -- too much infighting. Financially ruinous, but otherwise the best decision I ever made. Decided to lose 100 lbs (actually lost 90 -- the 3 lbs a year I put on at IBM for 30 years) and built a modest house (with a garage -- yeah!).

For the past ten years I've been rediscovering my passions: nature photography, canoeing/exploring, and some woodworking (ok, Dave, no wise comments now :) and, of course, more time with family (we're new 1st time grandparents this year!!!). I also consult and teach at the community college on efficient residential design and construction.

But I'd much rather be designing and fabricating a 4WD '32 Ford modular-powered hot rod roadster in the fully equipped shop I've never had! Yeah, still dreamin' huh?

One thing's for sure, I have been immensely enjoying the interaction with all of you on this site. Doesn't seem to matter how disparate our backrounds or occupations are; what we have in common is what unites us.

A toast to all of us! :party:

...and God Bless the USA and our service men and women and their families around the globe.

Y'all must have leaks in your NOS systems.... :hysterical:

gchaser - If I can write it - so can you.

http://www.beaufortccc.edu/news/PDF/Bryans...storhetoric.pdf

Bryan, enjoyed this... you have a such a nice easy writing style... and yeah, less money doing what you like works for me too -- just wish sometimes it wsn't so much less! :doh:

Thanks, 68 - I'm proud to be a teacher. I wrote that piece to motivate and inspire others to follow their dreams.

And I'm proud of this country.

And this site has been very good for me. I need to laugh - it helps me deal with the real issues I face.

And when my GT ever gets here - I'm going to put my new "furniture" to use.

I may have a grey beard - but if you rev on me - be up on your game, you hear? :shift:

For the past ten years I've been rediscovering my passions: nature photography, canoeing/exploring, and some woodworking (ok, Dave, no wise comments now :) and, of course, more time with family (we're new 1st time grandparents this year!!!).

Ok, no smart comments. Very nice story, glad you survived the tragic accident.

Speaking of woodworking, here is a pic of a picture frame I did for our home recently. It's a rather large frame... 42" square. The frame is ash on both inner and order trim pieces with a natural finish, and cherry field pieces with a specially blended antique cherry gel stain. Took me about 20 hours to make it....I start with rough lumber. The painting is an Eric Waugh print...something we bought on a cruise art auction. I'd do this for a living, but you can see that I'd never make it...I work too slowly. :hysterical:

Dave

post-3382-1154482458_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154482474_thumb.jpg

Ok, no smart comments. Very nice story, glad you survived the tragic accident.

Speaking of woodworking, here is a pic of a picture frame I did for our home recently. It's a rather large frame... 42" square. The frame is ash on both inner and order trim pieces with a natural finish, and cherry field pieces with a specially blended antique cherry gel stain. Took me about 20 hours to make it....I start with rough lumber. The painting is an Eric Waugh print...something we bought on a cruise art auction. I'd do this for a living, but you can see that I'd never make it...I work too slowly. :hysterical:

Dave

Just like all great artist.... after your dead & gone it's worth way more :hysterical: just kidding their bud, hang in their & add $50 Hr. to your labor ratefor the next one you build to cover your losses. :hysterical:

Thanks, 68 - I'm proud to be a teacher. I wrote that piece to motivate and inspire others to follow their dreams.

And I'm proud of this country.

And this site has been very good for me. I need to laugh - it helps me deal with the real issues I face.

And when my GT ever gets here - I'm going to put my new "furniture" to use.

I may have a grey beard - but if you rev on me - be up on your game, you hear? :shift:

So I'm gonna have to borrow John Force's practice tree, huh? Funny how some of what you've touched on John seems to be discovering in his own life... somehow we all get to a point when what's really important starts resurfacing... no, no, not family (lol) ...CARS!!!! :shift:

Yeah - you're right.

I grew up poor - in an affluent zip code.

I watched as my school chums got new Z-28's and GTO's and Cuda's bought for them.

My dad was an alcoholic - so I had to do for myself.

Which I have.

So now - I enjoy every ride - every time - so much better.

My wife says, go for it, baby. I am.

Let's go on three! :shift:

Dave - outstanding craftsmanship.

Will you frame a print for me?

Sure, I'll build frames for anyone on the site, but I HAVE to make some money on it...the stuff takes a lot of time to do it right. For most people that don't care about homemade craftsmanship, you'd be much better off buying a frame at a store or frame shop...they will be less expensive.

However, if you really want a specific size, with specific woods, and specific stains, I can do it. Just don't jump me when the price I quote is extremely high. As you can see, on the frame I made...even charging just $20/hour would have made that a $400 frame...and that doesn't include matting! Given that, if I did get "orders" for multiples, I can make 5 of them much faster than making 1 of them 5 different times. The setup costs would decrease dramatically with multiple orders....as long as they are all the same style/size.

P.S. I have made several types...the "Waugh" print is the most complex I've done. Here are some others that are much simpler to make...but not nearly as nice IMHO. The reason I only show the corner of the last one is that is has personal info in the frame that I wouldn't want to publish widely.

Dave

post-3382-1154488444_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488669_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488684_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488714_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488817_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488444_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488669_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488684_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488714_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1154488817_thumb.jpg

Sure, I'll build frames for anyone on the site, but I HAVE to make some money on it...the stuff takes a lot of time to do it right. For most people that don't care about homemade craftsmanship, you'd be much better off buying a frame at a store or frame shop...they will be less expensive.

However, if you really want a specific size, with specific woods, and specific stains, I can do it. Just don't jump me when the price I quote is extremely high. As you can see, on the frame I made...even charging just $20/hour would have made that a $400 frame...and that doesn't include matting! Given that, if I did get "orders" for multiples, I can make 5 of them much faster than making 1 of them 5 different times. The setup costs would decrease dramatically with multiple orders....as long as they are all the same style/size.

P.S. I have made several types...the "Waugh" print is the most complex I've done. Here are some others that are much simpler to make...but not nearly as nice IMHO. The reason I only show the corner of the last one is that is has personal info in the frame that I wouldn't want to publish widely.

Dave

Hey, dave, that's really nice work. I had my first gallery opeing recently (of my nature pics) and none of the commercial frames out there are nearly as nice. I too enjoy woodworking so I really do appreciate what you do. Sweet!

um...er...well....that's just a wee bit more than the Rufdraft budget will allow!

I know your work is worth that much - but just a bit too rich for me.

Ruf, I can point you to a place online I've used for my gallery shows with good quality and prices. In fact, I have an account set up. I can even do the setup on-line with your actual digital pic (or you can do it) so you can see exactly how it will look with matting, etc however you like, etc. Just let me know when/if you want to check it out and I'll explain how it works. I also work with a couple high quality digital printers (any size) who can do just the print for you and then you can have it framed locally as an alternative if you prefer.

-Dan

Thanks, Dan. When I get my GT dressed up and have a worthy photo - I'll PM you! I want one quality framed pic of the car.

No prob, bro.

My buddy with old '01 Cobra came up to visit Monday. I was telling him about the Hawk pads -- he was concerned about rotor wear with them. Any insight if that's a problem or ?? The car stops really well as is but he's been thinking to try an SVToA track-day next spring so was considering alternatives.

I haven't read anything about rotor wear.

I've got the Hawk Performance pads - mostly for street use.

They have other pads for track use.

I've had them on my 350Z for a year and haven't noticed any excessive rotor wear.

No squeaks - no fade - no and I mean no - brake dust!

I haven't read anything about rotor wear.

I've got the Hawk Performance pads - mostly for street use.

They have other pads for track use.

I've had them on my 350Z for a year and haven't noticed any excessive rotor wear.

No squeaks - no fade - no and I mean no - brake dust!

Thanks, Bryan... I'll pass that along.. no brake dust is a real bonus!

Since we're talking about occupations here, I thought I'd post this warning I just received from my son in Denver:

Police are warning all men who frequent clubs, parties and local pubs to be alert and stay cautious when offered a drink from any woman.

Many females use a date rape drug on the market called "Beer."

The drug is found in liquid form and is available anywhere. It comes in bottles, cans, or from taps and in large "kegs". Beer is used by female sexual predators at parties and bars to persuade their male victims to go home and sleep with them. A woman needs only to get a guy to consume a few units of Beer and then simply ask him home for no strings attached sex.

Men are rendered helpless against this approach. After several beers, men will often succumb to the desires to sleep with horrific looking women whom they would never normally be attracted.

After drinking beer, men often awaken with only hazy memories of exactly what happened to them the night before, often with just a vague feeling that "something bad" occurred.

At other times these unfortunate men are swindled out of their life's savings, in a familiar scam known as "a relationship."

In extreme cases, the female may even be shrewd enough to entrap the unsuspecting male into a longer term form of servitude and punishment referred to as "marriage." Men are much more susceptible to this scam after beer is administered and sex is offered by the predatory females.

Please! Forward this warning to every male you know.

If you fall victim to this "Beer" scam and the women administering it, there are male support groups where you can discuss the details of your shocking encounter with similarly victimized men. For the support group nearest you, just look up Golf Courses" in the phone book.

For a video to see how beer works click here: Beer Scam Simulation

Since we're talking about occupations here, I thought I'd post this warning I just received from my son in Denver:

Police are warning all men who frequent clubs, parties and local pubs to be alert and stay cautious when offered a drink from any woman.

The drug is found in liquid form and is available anywhere. It comes in bottles, cans, or from taps and in large "kegs". Beer is used by female sexual predators at parties and bars to persuade their male victims to go home and sleep with them. A woman needs only to get a guy to consume a few units of Beer and then simply ask him home for no strings attached sex.

Men are rendered helpless against this approach. After several beers, men will often succumb to the desires to sleep with horrific looking women whom they would never normally be attracted.

After drinking beer, men often awaken with only hazy memories of exactly what happened to them the night before, often with just a vague feeling that "something bad" occurred.

At other times these unfortunate men are swindled out of their life's savings, in a familiar scam known as "a relationship."

In extreme cases, the female may even be shrewd enough to entrap the unsuspecting male into a longer term form of servitude and punishment referred to as "marriage." Men are much more susceptible to this scam after beer is administered and sex is offered by the predatory females.

If you fall victim to this "Beer" scam and the women administering it, there are male support groups where you can discuss the details of your shocking encounter with similarly victimized men. For the support group nearest you, just look up Golf Courses" in the phone book.

68 fastback

This is priceless :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

WOW! Thanks for posting that! Now I know whats been happening to me with my girlfriend...She buys my beer by the Case & just smiles when she comes home....I never would have known what had hit me if it wasn't for this warning.... :hysterical: Good one Ruf! But how do you explain all the guys in the Excursion with beer story now? :hysterical:

GT500 official 12-step program: (no offense meant to anyone... just some humor)

-We admitted we were powerless over GT500 addiction—that our lives had become unmanageable.

-Came to believe that torque could restore us to sanity.

-Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Bill Ford's next muscle car plans as we understood them.

-Made a searching and fearless inventory of our past street-racing trespasses.

-Admitted to our friends, to ourselves, and to other GT500 owners the exact nature of our addiction.

-Were entirely ready to have Hau Tai-Tang remove all these defects of character with Traction Control as long as it can be turned off.

-Humbly asked FRPP and partners to remove our ECU-tuning shortcomings.

-Made a list of all cars we had blown-off, and became willing to make amends to all elderly who now live in fear of us or anything with GT stripes.

-Made direct amends to Camaro and Hemi people wherever possible, except when to do so would embarass them or other marques further.

-Continued to take personal inventory of our racing practices and when we were out front, slowed to only win by a small margin.

-Sought, launch practice and traction control to improve our quarter mile times, praying only for knowledge of what powershifts and street-slicks can do for us and the power to carry out all other planned modifications.

-Having had a torque awakening as the result of the GT500, we tried to carry this message to GT500 owners and aspiring owners, and to practice these principles in all our racing encounters.

...but I want one now! :baby:

!!! Attention !!!

Someone call 911 - we need a SWAT team at 68's crib.

Apparently, he's been chained to his computer desk!

:hysterical:

I need to go to sleep. Please stop with this sh*t! :shift:

Good night -- I fading fast, and I see red lights and hear sirens.. 68 out.

Oh yeah, back on topic.

Header operator (I better explain that one before someone else tries to. A small company in IN called Indiana Metal Products Company (IMPCo for short) makes small screws, bolts and pins for various companies such as Remington, GM, FoMoCo, and so on. Anyway, I ran 3 machines that cut pieces of wire into pins and then struck/formed the head on the pin. The devices were called header machines, hence I was called a header operator.) B)

An Offset roll-press operator, I used to be the one that put the sequential numbers on your checks, yeah thats right, :o :blink:

U.S Army (retired) :ninja:

Electronic Technician for Chromalox Instruments and Controls.

Curently an Electronic Technician for a telecomunications company, I watch the backbone of the internet for any service degradation, and try to get the problem fixed before anyone (customer) notices.

DLW

Your name would not happen to be Dave, would it? If so my brother Matt worked at Chromalox with you when he was a student at MTSU.

Now back on topic.

Worked as a Chemical Engineer for 12 years than went home at 1/2 pay to work for my family managing land and other family businesses.

KP

I have a new job as a Project Engineer at Legend Motors Worldwide, a division of L.A. West. I no longer make parts for the Ford Five-Hundred, Ford Freestyle or Mercury Montego since Ford is idling the plant until late August.

I joined Legend Motors Worldwide so I could enjoy designing, building & working on Hotrods, Race Cars & Sports trucks again. Here is a little info about the company & the 1966 GT40 Mk.1 Replica car I am working on. :shift: They have many Ford, GMC, Chevy & Dodge dealerships that you can order our Sport trucks (with Superchargers) & Luxury conversion vans thru also.

Legend Motors Worldwide was formed by the merger of LA West Luxury Vehicles and GT40 North America. These two companies have combined to form Legend Motors Worldwide, an organization providing the highest quality cars and trucks for the automobile enthusiast.

Legend Motors Worldwide is focused on delivering exclusive luxury van conversions, sport truck conversions, SUV conversions as well as a complete line of supercars from the 1960s and 1970s - a legendary period of auto racing that spawned classic designs that still appear ahead of their time. We are a component car designer and assembler that handcrafts an in-house designed chassis with all other required items including wiring, plumbing, brakes, interior wheels, tires and paint completed at our factory. Legend Motors delivers state-of-the-art versions of motor vehicles that are otherwise unattainable for most motor sports enthusiasts, including the GT40 Mk.1.

From its original strategic location in Indianapolis, the heart of the Automotive Racing Capital, Legend Motors is able to attract the highest caliber mechanics and benefit from proximity to premium sources. By duplicating the stylings of historic cars, the company is able to rapidly and economically construct short production runs for established bases of consumers that desire Legend Motors' products and the financial ability to pay for them.

http://www.gt40na.com/products.htm (Click on the left side of the screen for more info on the car)

or

http://www.carad.com/status/ShowroomViewVe...listing=8064273

or

http://www.lawest.com/bOSS/BOSS_index.htm (click on the left of the screen for other makes & models)

Terms can be negotiable with the sales dept.. If you are interested in one contact me by (PM) & I’ll hook you up with the person that can help you out.

I think I have died & gone to heaven

post-768-1154747799_thumb.jpgpost-768-1154747893_thumb.jpgpost-768-1154747920_thumb.jpgpost-768-1154747941_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154748986_thumb.jpgpost-768-1154749022_thumb.jpgpost-768-1154749045_thumb.jpgpost-768-1154749144_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154747799_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154747893_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154747920_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154747941_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154748986_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154749022_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154749045_thumb.jpg

post-768-1154749144_thumb.jpg

Archived