TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Say a prayer for Ralph tonight

sdear

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Ralph got home and he is still a HE !!!!

The installation went great. My Ford mechanic did an excellent job putting the scoop on. His riveting skills are excellent.

The only problem was from the previous Ford body shop that had changed the hood scoop. I am not sure I am, or can do anything about it, but if you recall, I am on my 4th scoop now. My previous dealer/body shop changed the scoop a few times and messed more than one thing up. To make a long story short, when they installed the front screws..which was one of the fixes on the scoop early on, it "appears" someone made the hole too big on those screws..looks like they "missed " and had to make the hole again.

So when my mechanic today installed the new scoop, he was unable to to use the rivets in the very front where the screws were so he put the screws back in. The holes were too big and wouldn't work with the rivets..even with a washer/anchor . It doesnt look bad, but the front ones on each side are different from the rest of the rivets.

The scoop lays perfectly flat now. It was awesome to sit in the drivers seat and see a flat laying scoop !

Cudos to Rick at Sarasota Ford for putting this scoop on. He is a great mechanic, and a great guy. And thank you to John and SAI for getting this right.

052.jpg

049.jpg

047.jpg

046.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

I don't know if I can even do anything about the front screws now, since it's hard to prove who did the front holes originally, but it really doesn't look that bad overall.

Sue

N I C E !!!!!!

Finally Sue!

The outcome is simply - riveting!

I have received my new scoop and plan to get it installed after the holidays.

Todd

Sue,

It looks great! No problem with the 2 torx scews up front. You really can't notice them.

Guess what? Amy came through with a ticket for the car show on Sat. I didn't do the drag strip, b/c my 12 year old grandson will be with me. Also, John and Bud confirmed my Jan. 14 mod shop visit a scoop replacement.

I am trying to figure out how to get my 1966 Gt-350 to LV as well.

I am buying the first round!

Thanks guys...it does look 1000% better ! I can't get over the difference sitting in the car.

I can't give enough credit to my mechanic..he didn't have to do it....after all..he is not a body shop guy..he is a mechanic ! I brought him a gift card for dinner on me ...he deserves it !

And Mike..that is such good news !!! Look very forward to meeting you and your grandson ! I bet he is excited too ! This is going to be such a great time !!

I can't wait to meet everyone !!

Sue

My freakin monitor is too big,I can barely see it,and I think I could cook a grilled cheese sammie on top of it :(

I was throughly impressed when I saw it! I did tell the SVT MeckAnik about Venice Ford Body Shop bastardizing the front holes,prior to him starting work on it. He said at the time that possibly he could use a washer underneath it. That's been the only real negative in this whole process,as SAI did come up with a solution.

Sure Sue could pursue the issue,to have the holes leaded,or whatever they do these days to fill holes,and have it riveted,but,as it looks so nice,and her mechanic did such an excellent job,why disturb something that's not exactly broken.?.

I do feel that Ford needs to be aware of their dealers,and the lack of quality and caring,within certain dealerships.

Oh,and btw Sue,when I did say a prayer last night for your car,I used your nickname in it etc......and it wasn't even 5 seconds into the prayer and I hear this laughter.....and of all things,it's God,crackin up on the name you chose. I couldn't even finish the prayer,as he wouldn't stop laughin :(

Looks awesome Sue. I'm very happy that you are finally satisfied with your scoop. Only one thing, the new fashion is to have the space there. 40 years from now, those with the space will be the most valuable. J/KBTW tell hubby I said thanks for the sig pic.

Well Ralph got home and he is still a HE !!!!

The installation went great. My Ford mechanic did an excellent job putting the scoop on. His riveting skills are excellent.

The only problem was from the previous Ford body shop that had changed the hood scoop. I am not sure I am, or can do anything about it, but if you recall, I am on my 4th scoop now. My previous dealer/body shop changed the scoop a few times and messed more than one thing up. To make a long story short, when they installed the front screws..which was one of the fixes on the scoop early on, it "appears" someone made the hole too big on those screws..looks like they "missed " and had to make the hole again.

So when my mechanic today installed the new scoop, he was unable to to use the rivets in the very front where the screws were so he put the screws back in. The holes were too big and wouldn't work with the rivets..even with a washer/anchor . It doesnt look bad, but the front ones on each side are different from the rest of the rivets.

The scoop lays perfectly flat now. It was awesome to sit in the drivers seat and see a flat laying scoop !

Cudos to Rick at Sarasota Ford for putting this scoop on. He is a great mechanic, and a great guy. And thank you to John and SAI for getting this right.

052.jpg

049.jpg

047.jpg

046.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

I don't know if I can even do anything about the front screws now, since it's hard to prove who did the front holes originally, but it really doesn't look that bad overall.

Sue

IMHO, Sue, if you don't point out the front rivets I don't think anyone will notice them. Looks great.

Sue Ralph looks great! You don't notice the screws unless they're pointed out & like others have said,

the scoop fit's beautiful so I personally wouldn't mess with it. He did a nice job! :D

Matt, sounds like Stripes is in for a little more major operation. We're with ya Buddy! :)

My scoop fits great but it has a very noticeable buldge about midway down the left side :(

I don't know if i'm gonna live with it or try the replacement (just don't want it to get worse

over time) :unsure:

Again Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks guys !

And Adam...see I have a plan about the space in the scoop 40 years from now.......they ( cuz i wont be around lol ) can unscrew the two front screws and waaaalahhhh ! Original look !! :P :lol::lol:

And you are welcome for your sig pic lol....i almost choked on my coffee that morning when I saw you and Roger's signatures lol.

I was thinking of fixing or replacing my hood scoop since I can actually see the road through the gaps. I don't know any place near me where they might be able to fix it so I wanted to drill out the holes and tap them through the hood so I can keep the screws on the scoop, I'd just have to get longer ones. Anyone see any problem with this (besides drilling through my Shelby GT, which wouldn't be the first time, lol)?? Also, anyone in the Miami, FL area that might know where I can take it to get it fixed instead?

I was thinking of fixing or replacing my hood scoop since I can actually see the road through the gaps. I don't know any place near me where they might be able to fix it so I wanted to drill out the holes and tap them through the hood so I can keep the screws on the scoop, I'd just have to get longer ones. Anyone see any problem with this (besides drilling through my Shelby GT, which wouldn't be the first time, lol)?? Also, anyone in the Miami, FL area that might know where I can take it to get it fixed instead?

I live in Sarasota Florida over on the other coast, and my mechanic did it at the Ford dealership. If you want to do the drive, I am sure it could be set up through them !

I guess i dont have the full story on the scoops. Have many of you of you experienced waves or something in your scoops? Could it be the hot Florida sun contributing?Is there i recall on all of them ? Or did they make a change before 4648 was built? I have only driven my car 1/10 of a mile due to the wicked Iowa weather. Just interested in what will happen after a few thousand.

I guess i dont have the full story on the scoops. Have many of you of you experienced waves or something in your scoops? Could it be the hot Florida sun contributing?Is there i recall on all of them ? Or did they make a change before 4648 was built? I have only driven my car 1/10 of a mile due to the wicked Iowa weather. Just interested in what will happen after a few thousand.

You should be fine. The later models were fixed before they left SAI. Is your scoop completely riveted around? (true rivets? )

There was a problem with the early models lifting around the edges..but if yours is laying flat you are in good shape.

The sun actually helped keep it down before I got it fixed. In colder weather, the scoop lifted more. It had a mind of it's own :P

Archived