TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pin Replacement?

philip 87

Hello everyone.

I was wondering what your thoughts are about Hood Pin replacement.

The originals, on mine anyway, look to be of poor quality. e.g. Slight rust on pins, scratched plate where pin would ride along, etc. I did see shelby billet replacements and they look very nice. Just want input from other Gt-H folks.

I understand the originality thing but just curious.

Thanks......Philip

Hello everyone.

I was wondering what your thoughts are about Hood Pin replacement.

The originals, on mine anyway, look to be of poor quality. e.g. Slight rust on pins, scratched plate where pin would ride along, etc. I did see shelby billet replacements and they look very nice. Just want input from other Gt-H folks.

I understand the originality thing but just curious.

Thanks......Philip

I had a problem with my stock hood pins too. They would snap apart and lose tension, and then slide out and bounce around on the body panels. I also sensed a difference in the OD of the pin, and ID of the pin hole. Simply said, they came out to easy, and tensioning the hood wasn't an answer.

I took it to my local L/M dealer who processed it as a warranty issue. They called the SAI warranty team, and a fresh set of pins were sent out. Dealer installed the new set, and everything is fine today.

Upgrading is an option for you, but I've seen it posted here that the upgrade kit is not a perfect fit. So, best of luck to you in which ever path you decide to follow.

The original hood pins used by shelby were not 100% stainless steel thus causing the rust. If you order a new set from Keith Crisswell at shelby perofrmance parts. He can help you out. They have a new design because of the flawed originals. The new design is 100% stainless steel. And after changing many sets out myself. They are very easy to change your self only needing a phillips head screwdriver and look 10000k times better. If you have any questions hit me up I would be happy to help

Dennis Davis

Thanks nolastyankee. I will call today.

Philip

Philip, it is not complaining! It is being proud and fussy which anyone owning these cars should be. I have two and I took my California car to the dealer. It took them two weeks to get back with me to tell me that the stripes and pins would not be covered under warranty and he could get me the stripes for $1000.00 and the pins for $100.00. Well, I bought two sets of pin kits shown on ebay in a Ford Racing package $49.95 plus $12.00 shipping. They say made in Tiawan on the back of the package and they absolutely do not fit the GT-H. The hole on the plate is 7/8" and you can see the fiberglass, so I took a body hammer and staightened the plate, rotoziped the hole from 1/2 to 5/8 on the original. Figured I would at least use the stainless pins, wrong, they are too short. That kit is not for GT-H as advertised.

Sorry, I am quailty freak. Took me three years and 45k to do my 1956 Ford convertible.

I have got the stripes off the GT-H and was shocked when hand rubbing the car that I get black on my rag off the components that Shelby put on. And God forbid if you bump the windshield washer nosil you would be squirting the car next to you. Bill

Well, I bought two sets of pin kits shown on ebay in a Ford Racing package $49.95 plus $12.00 shipping. They say made in Tiawan on the back of the package and they absolutely do not fit the GT-H. The hole on the plate is 7/8" and you can see the fiberglass, so I took a body hammer and staightened the plate, rotoziped the hole from 1/2 to 5/8 on the original. Figured I would at least use the stainless pins, wrong, they are too short. That kit is not for GT-H as advertised.

I don't know what the ebay seller told you but Ford Racing does not advertise their hood pins as a replacement part for the GTH.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=1279

I have got the stripes off the GT-H and was shocked when hand rubbing the car that I get black on my rag off the components that Shelby put on. And God forbid if you bump the windshield washer nosil you would be squirting the car next to you.

I've polished my fair share of 06 GTHs, (#59, #165, #361) when I rented them, I'm a clean freak, and didn't see any "black" coming off on my rag. The relocated washer nozzles may have some issue. I’m not sure, haven't seen it raised before, but again it may be something that can be easily fixed.

Good luck!

Thanks fellas. Like you, I am proud of this car and I want it to look as nice as it can while still being stock. But the hood pins are pretty beat up. The plate is rusty,dented and scratched clear across pin travel and the screws look funky too. I think a new billet set is in order and Shelby engine billet caps as well and she's done. I like it just the way they made it. No performance mods needed for me. As you know, she is quite quick off the line and she shifts like a cheetah and she stops on a dime. I really can't ask for more performance than that. More performance? Why? Where the hell am I going! Merry Christmas Guys!

As Dennis said the NEW SAI replacements are high quality. I also purchased a set of the black anodized ones advertised by SAI..While they are excellant quality parts ,they will NOT fit properly on the 06 GT-H hood. The design is such that the pins will not set right in the notch in the plate. They are made for the 08 Shelby gt. Just an FYI.

Hey Ron if you need a new set of pins let me know I will get you a set

Folks, if you just want to replace the original hood pins they are a standard Scott Drake product and can be ordered by any Mustang dealer that sells Scott Drake products. I ordered mine from Classic Mustangs for only $24.95 and they are identical. Part number BD- R- 1016.

Merry Christmas

John

Folks, if you just want to replace the original hood pins they are a standard Scott Drake product and can be ordered by any Mustang dealer that sells Scott Drake products. I ordered mine from Classic Mustangs for only $24.95 and they are identical. Part number BD- R- 1016.

Merry Christmas

John

NOTE: They are of a BETTER quality and the same as used on the 07 SGT other than height and alignment. If your posts are fine you only need to swap out the plate and pins which even I can do and have.

As Dennis said the NEW SAI replacements are high quality. I also purchased a set of the black anodized ones advertised by SAI..While they are excellant quality parts ,they will NOT fit properly on the 06 GT-H hood. The design is such that the pins will not set right in the notch in the plate. They are made for the 08 Shelby gt. Just an FYI.

The Billet pins do fit but require modification of the holes and bending of the brackets to line up on all 3 axis points. I have the same hood and it did take a little trial and error to get them to line up properly. But they do fit.

Billethoodpininstall008.jpg

The factory originals cost 19.99, so that kinda explains why they are so cheap!

Archived