TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 GT500 problem with 5th gear

PONY MAN

Has anyone had a problem a vibration in 5th gear you feel it when you lay your hand on the shift

knob. My dealer said there's nothing wrong with it his does it to that it's typical of a high performance car.

:rolleyes:

Has anyone had a problem a vibration in 5th gear you feel it when you lay your hand on the shift

knob. My dealer said there's nothing wrong with it his does it to that it's typical of a high performance car.

:rolleyes:

I think Ford issued a tech tip to dealers that says they should compare to another unit to determine if it's normal, but I can tell you that quite a few folks have noticed that so unless you're feeling a vibe in the chassis/steering also, I think the shifter vibe in 5th (or other gears) is normal as the dealer said.

My hunch is that this is caused because the shift linkage arms are not adjustable and the Tremec doesn't have positive shift stops in the trans, so what you're likely feeling is tell-tale vibe from the tranny shaft being telegraphed back to the stick thru the linkage.

Some folks have noticed if they press a bit on the stick (into the gear) the vibe is felt more strongly in the stick and if they pull back a tiny bit (toward neutral) the vibe is reduced or disppears, which would be consistent with what I suspect the cause is -- not a problem.

At least you've documented it with the dealer if there's a future problem.

Some known problems to be on the lookout for: Strong notchiness shifting 1->2 and 2->3 even after the car is warmed up and has been driven for a while. Difficulty getting into first or reverse with clutch fully depressed. Increased clutch-pedal effort over short period (weeks-months) with a sticking feel in clutch pedal.

If you're seeing any of those go over to StangsUnleashed.com and search on the "clutch" thread to read more. The following procedure is described by "Grabber" over there: With the engine running and car in neutral and foot on the clutch (but not depressed) you will hear a slight running hiss fom the clutch (not the louder hiss when riding the clutch out in gear -- that's normal cerametalic clutch hiss). A good spot to listen for this is in your garage or next to a wall in a quiet location somewhere. Still in neutral, depress the clutch to the floor. That slight hiss should disappear when the clutch is fully disengaged (on the floor). If it takes a few seconds after fully depressing the clutch for the hiss to disappear, the clutch is dragging and is the reason going into 1st or rev and/or shifting is notchy because it's dragging the synchros. If so see your dealer and tell them that's not normal. Get the service tip number in the "clutch" thread at StangsUnleashed.com first because this tip is NOT in the dealers hard-copy service guide, so he'll need that number to 'believe' you. There's a service procedure involving lubing the clutch splines with special grease and possibly replacing clutch components or more.

If you only have the shifter-vibe and not the above symptoms, you're just fine, imo... Good luck!

Dan

Thanks Dan for the reply. I don't seem to have the other problems with the clutch. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have problem , after I get the SS 725 package. And it won't be warranty. My CSM number 0716 color Alloy w/satin silver stripes.

Jerry :rolleyes:

Archived