TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Premium Unleaded or Regular Unleaded

GT-H 227

Only premium unleaded fuel should be used regardless of what the owners manual states. These cars have been retuned by SAI which calls for the higher octane rating than what a standard GT would use. SAI more than likely added timing to the tune to obtain the 325 HP rating. The additional timing would require the higher octane fuel to ward off detonation.

Do your engine a favor and spend the additional $.10 - .20 per gallon.

Bryan

My thoughts exactly and the last thing I want to do is damage the engine. I had contacted Ford directly about this and they directed me to the manual but I believe you are right - after the cars left Ford, SAI got their hands on them and "tweaked" them past the basic Ford standard. I take it you have only used premium unleaded?

Thanks - I appreciate your opinion.

My thoughts exactly and the last thing I want to do is damage the engine. I had contacted Ford directly about this and they directed me to the manual but I believe you are right - after the cars left Ford, SAI got their hands on them and "tweaked" them past the basic Ford standard. I take it you have only used premium unleaded?

Thanks - I appreciate your opinion.

only the good beer for my horses :D

only the good beer for my horses :D

The manual you read is probable giving the specs for the mustang Gt that the car started life as, before shelby got a hold of it. Shelby recommends only premium once the modifications are made. The recommendation of regular gas is for stock mustang GT.

Even though Hertz supposedly added an octane booster / additive every time the cars were returned, I still "ponied up" for premium for the coupe and convertible that I rented... and this wasn't cheap in Hawaii. Just couldn't stand to see one of these cars not be treated right... even if it wasn't mine.

Archived