TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1,500 Miles and Needs a New Transmission

jaydub Mach1

I thought I'd post this under a new thread, because it turns out the noise wasn't the exhaust rattle.

I took the car into the dealership this morning because a strange noise appeared over the weekend.

It turns out that the transmission (manual) was full of metal particles.

I have to wait for a new one!!

Hmmmm Not happy.....

Have you thought about purchasing an extended Ford warranty while you still have the time?

Some dealers sell the extended warranty online so you can compare prices as they vary from dealer to dealer. The warranty price is also negotiable if you decide to purchase it from your local dealer.

Just make sure the warranty is a true Ford backed warranty and not some third party warranty.

Steve

I bought a new Cobra in 98 and the trans lasted 2500 miles. I had them check their TSB's and they found that there were manufacturing issues with one of their suppliers on certain date codes. They pulled mine and replaced it and I never had any more issues, hopefully yours will go the same.

Other than noisr did the tranny present any problems hard shifting? any indication? I sure would like to avoid a problem like that. Is there a TSB from Ford on problem? maybe LULU knows Thanks

No. It was strange. The first time I noticed it was when I was outside the car and it was running. I shut it off and restarted. The noise continued. At first I thought it was the fan, but I turned the switch off and no change in the noise.

I started driving and at about 3k in first, the noise was suddenly gone. :huh: :huh:

So, I drove for about 1/2 hour noise free. I stopped for a bottle of water at a store. Whe I returned and restarted, the noise returned. I drove off and same thing: it stopped after about 3k.

The next day, the noise would not go away regardless of what I did. So I took it in to the dealer. They have been pretty good in the past.

They isolated the noise to the tranny and pulled it. They drained the oil and noticed alot of metal shavings coming out, too. So they stopped any work and called.

So, as soon as I find out more, I'll post...

No. It was strange. The first time I noticed it was when I was outside the car and it was running. I shut it off and restarted. The noise continued. At first I thought it was the fan, but I turned the switch off and no change in the noise.

I started driving and at about 3k in first, the noise was suddenly gone. :huh: :huh:

So, I drove for about 1/2 hour noise free. I stopped for a bottle of water at a store. Whe I returned and restarted, the noise returned. I drove off and same thing: it stopped after about 3k.

The next day, the noise would not go away regardless of what I did. So I took it in to the dealer. They have been pretty good in the past.

They isolated the noise to the tranny and pulled it. They drained the oil and noticed alot of metal shavings coming out, too. So they stopped any work and called.

So, as soon as I find out more, I'll post...

The throw-out bearing is very noisy on my car. At idle, I can hear a noise, but when the clutch is engaged, the noise goes away.

The disappointment here will be that we may never learn exactly what went wrong.

When Ford went "modular", it wasn't just engines. It's was the warranty repaiir system too. After a certain point in the diagnosis, whole assemblies are replaced and what's defective is sent back for inspection, refurbishing, or, recycling. It's a lot cheaper for Ford to pay a technician a few hours to "R&R" a tranny, or, engine assembly, than it is to have him rebuild it part by part on his bench.

I know a few L/M wrenches personally, and I know they are not happy about this. If the flat rate book says pay 6 hours to rebuild a tranny, and he can get it done in 3, he still gets the 6 hours. However, it works well for good customer service when the car can be returned to the owner in half the time, with the promise "we put in a whole new tranny, just for you" (wink, wink).

Are you guys not concerned that with these replacement trannys your Shelby will possibly become less desirable compared to another Shelby that still has it original vin stamped transmission?

I know that if I was looking at two comparable Shelby's and one had its original tranny and one had a replacement tranny I would probably purchase the Shelby that was original.

Just seems like how the collector car hobby has always worked. The more original a car is the more desirable it is.

Steve

No TSBs on trannys in my 2007 collection, but most of us are very low mileage. When this tranny gets back for inspection, something may follow. Sorry, I don't have earlier years, just 2007.

With regards to VIN numbers on any powertrain component, engine, tranny and rear end, Ford doesn't do that anymore. Modular repair again, these parts have ID numbers that can be decoded for content such as mfg. plant, date, gear ratios, platform application, ect., but no more "matching numbers" cars from Ford.

With regards to VIN numbers on any powertrain component, engine, tranny and rear end, Ford doesn't do that anymore. Modular repair again, these parts have ID numbers that can be decoded for content such as mfg. plant, date, gear ratios, platform application, ect., but no more "matching numbers" cars from Ford.

Unless federal law has just recently changed that the vin is no longer required on major drivetrain components I have to disagree that Ford stopped doing that.

Vins may no longer be "stamped" by hand in the traditional way but should be laser etched or some similar method on the case somewhere.

I'll see if I can find some additional info/pics to post.

Steve

Unless federal law has just recently changed that the vin is no longer required on major drivetrain components I have to disagree that Ford stopped doing that.

Vins may no longer be "stamped" by hand in the traditional way but should be laser etched or some similar method on the case somewhere.

I'll see if I can find some additional info/pics to post.

Steve

Please do, Steve. Help me out with the correct 411? I'd like to learn more.

Until then, my SGT is a "numbers matching" SGT, because the number is NONE.

It may have been a popular anti-theft effort back in the '60s, I vaguely recall Chevrolet having something like this when I was 18. But, these were the days when engines, trannys and rear ends got rebuilt, not replaced, unless physically impossible due to extensive case damage. It was the days of cast iron blocks and tranny cases, not the disposable (recycled?) aluminum stuff we see today. Nonetheless, this practice is widely discontinued today, call any FMC parts department and ask?

They can trace "tag codes" and tell you where your tranny fits in the scheme of things, if it came from a police car, or, a Gran Marquis and what torque convertor fits, or, how long the tailshaft should be, but not much more. They can also run your VIN through OASIS and get cross-linked to the tag codes your car should have, but stamping or etching a VIN on the major powwertrain components today? Sorry...

Here's an example of a "tag code" chart from a GM web site, thanks to Google:

http://60degreev6.com/Articles/Transmissions/4T60E/4T60E.htm

Here's a few FMC codes and how they work for the 4R70W automatic transmission:

1) PKEBR-2W3P-7000-AA

2) PKECF-4W7O-7000-CA

3) PKE3H-4W7P-7000-EA

Decoded:

1) 2000-up Mustang (short tail shaft)

2) 2000-up Gran Marquis/Marauder (long tail shaft)

3) 2000-up Police/Taxi

Last, but not less important, I've attached a pic of an actual 4R70W tranny tag. (hopes this works, I'm not very computer savvy)

Hope this helps you in your research, please let us all know the real scoop?

EDIT: Guess my upload didn't work, but if anyone wants to see this pic, contact me at SergntMac@aol.com.

Well, I picked up the car. The dealer was very helpful. :)

Although they had to return the old transmission without disassembling it, their best guess was the (needle?) bearing of the input shaft.

So maybe a bad bearing or improperly seated or...?? :unsure: :unsure:

Anyway, I'm glad to be back in the driver's seat. I really feel for you guys that have to put them up for the winter. I was going crazy after just two days!!! :lol::lol:

Well, I picked up the car. The dealer was very helpful. :)

Although they had to return the old transmission without disassembling it, their best guess was the (needle?) bearing of the input shaft.

So maybe a bad bearing or improperly seated or...?? :unsure: :unsure:

Anyway, I'm glad to be back in the driver's seat. I really feel for you guys that have to put them up for the winter. I was going crazy after just two days!!! :lol::lol:

Happy to hear you back in the saddle, but I must add "I told you so". Chances are, you will never find out what failed, and until a certain (and unknown) failures are recorded, none of us will ever see a TSB.

Just glad you're back up and running.

Archived