TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Cooler

mffarrell

Bravo! +1 on any engine oil cooler.

Keeping engine temps in control is important to your EEC tune, and 180 degrees NOT (normal operating temperature) is ideal. After I switched to a 180 degree cooling system thermostat, I added an engine oil cooler, and why not? Engine oil temp is part of our 4.6L-3V cooling system plan. Keep this cooler too?

My favorite engine oil cooler is the Ford Racing kit P/N M-6642-S101 (2007 catalogue, page 100, 115.00 MSRP) which is a self-regulating style cooler. No thermostat, no switches, no valves. It's a "stacked plate" design that allows oil to pass through based on temperature and viscosity, up to 20,500 BTU per hour.

This is the way engine cooling should happen. If engine oil isn't cool enough, it should not recirculate, and with the FRP kit, it won't recirculate until it is cool enough. This works very well with the FMC "5W20" engine oil recommendation, but your oil/crancase capacity will increase 1/2 a quart too.

Keeping your SGT 4.6L-3V as close to 180 NOT is most important in keeping it tuned correctly and avoiding deadly detonation and fatal pre-ignition. The EEC decides, so, best give it the data it wants to read?

Small enough to fit almost anywhere in the nose, but working best right up front against the radiator, this kit rocks.

Y'all sittting out there thinking the stock FRP/Shelby/SGT tune is lack-luster and can be improved on...How about improving what you are expecting it to do? Reduce your NOTs, and see what can happen before you run out and spend a pound of quarters on aftermarket stuff? Modding may be fun, but it doesn't have to mean "spend more".

Bravo! +1 on any engine oil cooler.

Keeping engine temps in control is important to your EEC tune, and 180 degrees NOT (normal operating temperature) is ideal. After I switched to a 180 degree cooling system thermostat, I added an engine oil cooler, and why not? Engine oil temp is part of our 4.6L-3V cooling system plan. Keep this cooler too?

My favorite engine oil cooler is the Ford Racing kit P/N M-6642-S101 (2007 catalogue, page 100, 115.00 MSRP) which is a self-regulating style cooler. No thermostat, no switches, no valves. It's a "stacked plate" design that allows oil to pass through based on temperature and viscosity, up to 20,500 BTU per hour.

This is the way engine cooling should happen. If engine oil isn't cool enough, it should not recirculate, and with the FRP kit, it won't recirculate until it is cool enough. This works very well with the FMC "5W20" engine oil recommendation, but your oil/crancase capacity will increase 1/2 a quart too.

Keeping your SGT 4.6L-3V as close to 180 NOT is most important in keeping it tuned correctly and avoiding deadly detonation and fatal pre-ignition. The EEC decides, so, best give it the data it wants to read?

Small enough to fit almost anywhere in the nose, but working best right up front against the radiator, this kit rocks.

Y'all sittting out there thinking the stock FRP/Shelby/SGT tune is lack-luster and can be improved on...How about improving what you are expecting it to do? Reduce your NOTs, and see what can happen before you run out and spend a pound of quarters on aftermarket stuff? Modding may be fun, but it doesn't have to mean "spend more".

Lu Lu,

Have you installed a Ford Racing kit P/N M-6642-S101 kit on your GT? It looks like it will only fit a FL-1A type filter. Our filters are M-6731-FL820 ...I am not sure the kit would work.

Lu Lu,

Have you installed a Ford Racing kit P/N M-6642-S101 kit on your GT? It looks like it will only fit a FL-1A type filter. Our filters are M-6731-FL820 ...I am not sure the kit would work.

The key here my friend, is understanding that the short block of our SGTs is the same 4.6L NHV block used in a dozen (or more) 4.6L applications in thousands of other FMC vehicles.

Oil filter fitment is a matter of frame clearance and ease of use, not filter performance. The FL-820-S filter fits better than the longer FL-1A filter and I have discontinued it's use. It performs no better than the shorter filter, and at the drain intervals I respect. IMHO, it's better than the FL-1A.

Oil filter performnce may vary by size, but not in real time performance. The FRP #M-6732-FL820-S filter is the shorter filter, yes. But, it's the same filter recommended by FRP in the M-206-FR1 power upgrade package. This is also the Motocraft FL-820-S filter. Even FPR says so, on page 20.

If you decide to add an oil cooler, a shorter filter will ease your oil drain/exchange pain, but I admit that it is not necessary. Again, just a suggestion...

Y'all be safe, eh?

Archived